View Poll Results: Where should the new Argonauts Stadium be located?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richmond Hill

3 5.26%
  • Markham

3 5.26%
  • Vaughan

7 12.28%
  • Woodbine Racetrack

4 7.02%
  • York University

2 3.51%
  • Downsview

13 22.81%
  • BMO Field

19 33.33%
  • Other

6 10.53%
Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    The stadium will be built where it is cheap to build (ie. edge of burbs) because braley has said time-and-time again he will not put money into a stadium. Money will come from development (requirement by developer to build the stadium as part of a large commercial/condo development where they make big $$$ on rezoning/development) and some provincial/local funds. Braley will probably be part of the development group and make $$$ that way. The stadium will be like Tim Hortons ... Not as nice as IGF but not a pseudo stadium like BMO or Saputo. Selling point a city is use of the field in winter (under a bubble) and springtime. Its a huge risk for argos if fans don't follow them. But you could say over time, they will be able to market more effective y with all with SME businesses in 407/401 belt and fill prime/club seats and boxes that way ... thats where the money is made in to CFL selling the 14,000 seats between the 20's for $700 per season and boxes. All the $20-30 seats outside that zone are just window dressing. Thats why Ticats are fine with a 22k stadium. My guess is probably way out in vaughn/markham.

Don't see BMO as a option as they will never get the 75-100 million in gov't funding to bring that stadium up to professional standards (two roofs over the side stands, more luxury boxes/club seating, professional seating, second deck/xtra seating, movable soccer seats in end zones, etc) and I don't see MLSE kicking in real $$$ into soccer. MLSE believes gov't money will be directed to some Argos project and they want to leach off it. Argos might get a better facility with $100m more into BMO, but in the end Argos will want to control their own facility after deaiing with rogers all these years.
    I believe the plan is for MLSE to kick $100 mil+ into BMO themselves, if this is the case the I think they will in fact purchase the Argonauts to maximize the return on their investment. This also would be the easiest way for Braley to divest himself of the team without all the work and time it would take to build a new facility elsewhere.
    I think all this talk of other sites is simply "posturing" by Braley to up the ante with MLSE so that they don't appear to be the only option.
    Let's face it, the guy is 72 years old and may want a quick exit from this franchise.

New Fan
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I believe the plan is for MLSE to kick $100 mil+ into BMO themselves, if this is the case the I think they will in fact purchase the Argonauts to maximize the return on their investment. This also would be the easiest way for Braley to divest himself of the team without all the work and time it would take to build a new facility elsewhere.
    I think all this talk of other sites is simply "posturing" by Braley to up the ante with MLSE so that they don't appear to be the only option.
    Let's face it, the guy is 72 years old and may want a quick exit from this franchise.
    This could certainly be true but it is possible that Braley, a huge CFL fan, could want to build a stadium that will be the Argos stadium. All of his support of the CFL over the years has been fantastic and leaving a stadium behind could be something that would define his legacy as one of the great CFL supporters in history.
    The MLSE sinking 100 million into BMO they would be better off building a new stadium.
    One of the stadiums that the MLSE has looked at modeling BMO after is PPL park home of the Union which is estimated to cost about 130 million in 2013 to build.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    I don't think Braley is in any hurry to divest the Argos, it's not like he's hard up for cash. If age had anything to do with it he could sell the Lions much easier than the Argos.

I think he's looking for the best long term solution for the Argos and certainly isn't posturing. If there is any apprehension I would think it is a reluctance to build a new stadium when you're not 100% sure if the Argos can make a real resurgence in the market. That's why it would have to be part of a larger development deal to have some part of the development assured to make money
    I think he just said he wants to sell the Argo franchise by his 75th birthday, which leaves less than 3 years.
    The planning, financing of a large development project will take a lot of time and cash, thus in my opinion the easiest and most feasible option probably is MLSE and a renovated BMO Field.