Quote Originally Posted by PullTogether73 View Post
Agreed that Olympic/World Cup games are sold on their lasting infrastructure development in addition to the immediate $ influx during the games.
But recent experience has shown that this is largely a fallacy in practice.
Ask the Greek government about the long term infrastructure uses after they last hosted the Olympics. My understanding is that most are on their way to becoming ruins like the Acropolis!
Russia invested heavily in the Sochi Olympics. The ski events apparently were held on facilities built below the frost line, leaving no use for their intended purpose after the Olympics.

IMO the costs of hosting these events far outweighs the benefits, and I see little value in being involved other than some short term chest pumping marketing benefit.
If it results in long term improvements to BMO Field, as an Argos STH I would welcome that, but not at any exorbitant cost to the city (and how my tax dollars are spent).
We don't know the details yet but if the feds/province have stated $35 Million towards the upgrade then maybe MLSE will put up money towards the upgrade.
MLSE has already spent $100 Million on BMO. If they could match that funding the end zone seats could be permanent, re-build the west side with an upper deck. They could be then thinking about the NFL.
Upgrade to Lamport for the Argos