One can look at this a few ways. MLS has a revenue stream of $550 million and the CFL has aprox has $200 million. You can argue MLS has more than double the teams but the bottom line is the same problem for the CFL is that Canada only does not have the population base to compete long term with other leagues that play in the US and here. I am not a MLS fan but I don't think from my perspective it is going to shrink but only grow. MLS has done a great job and have built purposeful stadiums for their teams which is something the CFL has been unable to do in Halifax and Quebec City to name two locations. CFL needs to stabilize the current teams but also grow by expanding. Sometimes growth / expansion can lead to stabilization. I think these types of arguments about the CFL and its health will go on forever as perception without US teams and revenue is it can never be as good.

I have made this argument before but the focus should be on how different the game is and how it takes different types of players to play the Canadian game. Maybe the CFL could target US expansion again and look to put teams into MLS specific stadiums.... now that would be something and I am sure with the love for real football they could generate a deeper TV contract then MLS.