Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I believe Barker and Popp.
    A GM’s career wouldn’t last long if he became known as a person that couldn’t be trusted and wasn’t true to his word and both of these guys have been very successful in football for a very long time.
    I agree. GM's and coaches, for that matter, who do not generate trust rarely survive long.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Wilder was signed by Popp. Wilder just like Butler wants out plain and simple, but Wilder also seems to be talking out of both sides of his mouth.
    Wilder has to realize that he has no leverage here. Does he want to have a football career or not? If he wants one, he either has to play out this year and try the NFL, renegotiate his contract for a larger amount for 2018 and 2019 - he could probably get six figures for each season - and then try the NFL, or sit out this season and find out if the NFL is interested in a 27 year-old running back who has played one of the previous three seasons.

I also find it strange that Wilder, as recently as a few weeks ago, was talking about having a 1000 yard receiving season in addition to a 1000 yard rushing season and I don't think he was talking about the NFL. Every indication when the season ended was that he was looking forward to returning to Toronto in 2018. Wasn't he even talking about moving his family up here back in November or December?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Wilder has to realize that he has no leverage here. Does he want to have a football career or not? If he wants one, he either has to play out this year and try the NFL, renegotiate his contract for a larger amount for 2018 and 2019 - he could probably get six figures for each season - and then try the NFL, or sit out this season and find out if the NFL is interested in a 27 year-old running back who has played one of the previous three seasons.

I also find it strange that Wilder, as recently as a few weeks ago, was talking about having a 1000 yard receiving season in addition to a 1000 yard rushing season and I don't think he was talking about the NFL. Every indication when the season ended was that he was looking forward to returning to Toronto in 2018. Wasn't he even talking about moving his family up here back in November or December?
    There are probably two sides to Wilder. The player himself who wants to come back and whoever is influencing him (agent?) to take the “negotiating” public, probably telling him to get out of his contract.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    There are probably two sides to Wilder. The player himself who wants to come back and whoever is influencing him (agent?) to take the “negotiating” public, probably telling him to get out of his contract.
    I can't help but wonder if his dad has been influencing his son? In the end I believe Wilder will be a big part of the Argos offence this season.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I think he was talking himself up, hoping to increase his bargaining power. Unfortunately for him, this isn't the sort of market where one can mobilize angry fans to call head office and demand that the ROY be brought back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I can't help but wonder if his dad has been influencing his son? In the end I believe Wilder will be a big part of the Argos offence this season.
    Bingo!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I can't help but wonder if his dad has been influencing his son?
    The thought had crossed my mind too though I have no evidence to back that up.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wilder posted a video yesterday of himself and Butler working out in Florida. I'm sure he's being influenced by others.

Interestingly, if you post about Butler on Twitter, your almost gauranteed to get a reply by Butler's brother in-law, defending Vic and questioning your every statement.

Wilder constantly posts on former teammates social media accounts and obviously still wants to follow the CFL.

I often wonder, why don't they show up at camp and half ass it? Don't miss practice and get suspended, just underperform and get your release. Still plenty of time to sign on with an NFL team, especially if their in on the plan. I know it would take effort, but who would be the wiser? Much better than publicly tarnishing your employer and being forced to sit, out of possible spite.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Interestingly, if you post about Butler on Twitter, your almost gauranteed to get a reply by Butler's brother in-law, defending Vic and questioning your every statement.
    Doesn't help defend but instead really makes you not want Butler back even more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Wilder posted a video yesterday of himself and Butler working out in Florida. I'm sure he's being influenced by others.

Wilder constantly posts on former teammates social media accounts and obviously still wants to follow the CFL.

I often wonder, why don't they show up at camp and half ass it? Don't miss practice and get suspended, just underperform and get your release. Still plenty of time to sign on with an NFL team, especially if their in on the plan. I know it would take effort, but who would be the wiser? Much better than publicly tarnishing your employer and being forced to sit, out of possible spite.
    Good luck to them in 2019!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Interesting how Wilder is still seen as a saint, and Butler as the devil.

Achievements:
    Level
    Didn't burn all the bridges. Yet. Wilder says one thing and then says how he's not angry and still loves the fans, team, etc. Butler just went all out and then lets his annoying "brother" speak for him. I think that softens up some people's perception of the Wilder situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Not really surprising considering the way the situations were handled, as Gabe said one player at least tried to soften his stance while the other (Butler) made himself sound stupid and left no option to come back.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Wilder also appears to be lying though, as he stated that he approached the team about a new deal, which according to Popp and some media reports is false. Not a fan of someone who talk out of there ass and lies, but I guess I'm different. I do wonder though, is Wilder going to be the next Argo legend, like Chad Kackert seems to be around here ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Wilder also appears to be lying though, as he stated that he approached the team about a new deal, which according to Popp and some media reports is false. Not a fan of someone who talk out of there ass and lies, but I guess I'm different. I do wonder though, is Wilder going to be the next Argo legend, like Chad Kackert seems to be around here ?
    I'm not saying Kackerts number should be retired but in his short body of work he had an impact few players have. His injuries piled up as a result of how intensely he practiced and played the game. And his attempt at coming back from those injuries was no less than heroic. And he chose to stay here rather than chase the NFL. He did nothing but acquit himself well in the double blue and while he may not be a legend he deserves nothing less than respect for how he played the game.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I'm not saying Kackerts number should be retired but in his short body of work he had an impact few players have. His injuries piled up as a result of how intensely he practiced and played the game. And his attempt at coming back from those injuries was no less than heroic. And he chose to stay here rather than chase the NFL. He did nothing but acquit himself well in the double blue and while he may not be a legend he deserves nothing less than respect for how he played the game.
    Kackert quietly went about his business and seemed genuinely humble.
    Wilder has damaged his credibility with many Argo supporters since season’s end.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    You’re no different, I feel somewhat duped by Wilder since the season ended.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Same situation, similar contracts, same desires, and as I mentioned, they even hang out together in Florida. I get your point, however, the one big difference is Wilder has yet to pen an article slandering the Argonauts. An article that didn't accomplish anything positive (likely hurt Butler more) and only pissed people off. I don't see Wilder as a saint. It's easy to get behind Butler being the devil though. He sounded like an ungrateful whiner, who is having a tantrum by not getting his way.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    For me, Kackert will always be a legend due to the fact that when he was in he made instant impact (despite the early fumble problems)and fought back from many injuries and stuck around on the practice roster for 2 straight seasons (I know he didn't have 4 kids to support but how'd he live on that?) without ever publicly complaining.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    For me, Kackert will always be a legend due to the fact that when he was in he made instant impact (despite the early fumble problems)and fought back from many injuries and stuck around on the practice roster for 2 straight seasons (I know he didn't have 4 kids to support but how'd he live on that?) without ever publicly complaining.
    Not fair to make that type of comparison, as it's doubtful that Kackert had any NFL inquiries. Again, I hold no ill towards Wilder. If I was making 52k Canadian and someone told me there was a chance to make 450k US, I think I too would want to be released for that opportunity. So easy for anybody to hate on him without ever being in that position. As far as the contract misunderstanding goes, that's on his agent for either not bothering to learn the legalities of the CFL contract or simply misinforming his client.
    It's us vs the rest of the country