Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Tks to Grover at ticats.ca

Scott Mitchell @ticatmitchell
    A good day on the Tim Hortons Field front. Several hurdles overcome today and the stadium is starting to look great within the bowl.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Tim Hortons Field August 26/2014
    Photos from ticats.ca

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    One guy painting a line! It sure looks on par with how this stadium was built. With no permit and a plan B delay for a Tuesday game or move to Toronto, it doesn't look promising to open. Closing sections and delaying answers shows they are sure in desperation mode. Frustrating, I really want to go to this game, I just need an answer where it's being played.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm anxious for some sort of finality as to where Monday's game will be played as well.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I'm anxious for some sort of finality as to where Monday's game will be played as well.
    Agreed. It's not fair to the fans that have tickets to keep them waiting.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Agreed. It's not fair to the fans that have tickets to keep them waiting.
    Nor the players or coaches who don't know yet whether the game will be on Monday or Tuesday.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    One guy painting a line! It sure looks on par with how this stadium was built.
    Well, I guess he can paint pretty fast.

Ticats first practice at Tim Hortons Field August 27/2014

Last edited by rdavies; 08-27-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    Level
    If nothing else, the fact they're practicing there is a good sign.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Chances of Monday game at new stadium up to 85 per cent
    Drew Edwards Hamilton Spectator August 27/2014

Councillor Lloyd Ferguson has been consistently pessimistic — some might say realistic — when it comes to the timelines surrounding the readiness of the new stadium. But after a two-hour tour of the $150-million facility on Wednesday, Ferguson says he's almost convinced it will be ready in time for the Tiger-Cats game scheduled for Labour Day.

"How far they've gotten has exceeded my expectation. It's moving along well," Ferguson said.

According to Ferguson, the final scoreboard panels were installed Wednesday and tests of the fire alarm system were under way. Washroom facilities are now functioning, temporary concession stands are currently being prepared and workers are cleaning up the concourses to make them ready for fans.

While an official from builder Ontario Sports Solutions said Tuesday there was a "better than 50 per cent" chance the stadium would be ready for Labour Day, Ferguson — and the guys wearing the hard hats — are even more optimistic.

"I talked with the guys on the job and they're a pretty proud bunch and they want to get it done," Ferguson said. "They said 100 per cent but I'm going to say 85 per cent."

Another person expressing optimism — somewhat more predictably — was Ticats chief executive officer Scott Mitchell, who attended Wednesday's practice with the team.

"The latest update is they continue to make progress. Again, it's not a process that we're in control of at all. We get updates like everybody else," Mitchell said. "We've not heard of anything that would be a setback. In fact, all we hear is the checklist continuing to be augmented and improved upon. All we've heard is positive momentum."

The team's contingency plan — to play the game Tuesday at Toronto's Rogers Centre — remains in place. While Mitchell said the team has plenty of time to make a decision, Kelly Keyes, vice-president of building services for the facility, said lead time is required to arrange staff to prepare the field and the stadium.

"I would say we would need to know by the end of the day Thursday," Keyes said.

Ferguson says paperwork from the various trades remains a major hurdle. Architects, engineers and manufacturers involved in the stadium have to certify that their work has been completed in accordance to the design and their specifications in order for the city to issue the occupancy permit.

"From what I've seen, I'm pretty confident the work will be done," Ferguson said. "The question is whether the documents will be in."

Still, Ferguson is as optimistic as he's been that the iconic Labour Day game will finally return to Hamilton.

"I was pleasantly surprised by how much progress they've made," he said.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    What a shame it will be to add advertisements to this pristine field, oh well, gotta stay in business

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Sigh ..... It will be great to
    Be there on Monday ..... I'm just jealous

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Nice to see the end zone sidelines go straight to 20 yards and don't need to be curved to allow for a track. I think that would leave Montreal and Edmonton as the last 2 stadiums without full 20x65 yard end zones.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Nice to see the end zone sidelines go straight to 20 yards and don't need to be curved to allow for a track. I think that would leave Montreal and Edmonton as the last 2 stadiums without full 20x65 yard end zones.
    I thought that Edmonton fixed theirs this year although I can't say that I have paid attention while watching their games to see if that is indeed the case.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Envy Hamilton fans looks like they will have a very decent facility when finished, wish we were in the same situation for sure!

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Rectangular end zones on Edmonton Eskimos’ home turf safer for receivers, defensive backs
    CFLPA asked for Commonwealth Stadium field to be modified after Eskimos star Fred Stamps was hurt last year
    Norm Cowley, Edmonton Journal June 2, 2014

EDMONTON - The changes to the end zones at Commonwealth Stadium look cosmetic, but were instigated by concern over player safety.

After star receiver Fred Stamps suffered a season-ending hip injury when he fell awkwardly on the concrete track that skirts the field while trying to catch a touchdown pass deep in the end zone in October, the Canadian Football League Players’ Association approached the Edmonton Eskimos.

“They asked if we could do something to modify the field to mitigate the concerns they had with the lack of the corners,” Eskimos president and CEO Len Rhodes said Monday on Day 2 of the CFL team’s training camp at Commonwealth Stadium. “As most people know, those corners haven’t changed since 1978.”

Rhodes approached the City of Edmonton, which owns the facility, and city council provided almost $400,000 worth of funding to make the end zones rectangular, instead of rounded on the corners, with another six feet of FieldTurf outside the boundary lines. The worn-out track was also resurfaced with a new paint colour.

“It’s a significant difference versus what we had up to last year,” Rhodes said. “For the players who are accustomed to having square end zones, they know what to expect, and we feel that’s really going to make a difference for them.

“Functionally, which is the most important one, it’s much more safe for the players.”

Stamps, who led the CFL with 1,259 receiving yards despite missing three games, has skidded on the track several times over the years because he’s always running the deep corner routes, but last season marked only the second time that he fell.

“I fell on the track over there (in the northeast corner) in 2012,” he said. “One of the signs caught my fall.

“I’m glad to see they added more turf. It gives me more room to catch the ball.”

Shamawd Chambers, a third-year receiver out of Wilfrid Laurier University, hurt himself in his first practice as a rookie at Commonwealth Stadium.

“I was attempting to catch a ball,” he recalled. “Literally, because of where the end zones were in my first year, like two steps out of bounds, you were sliding on the track.

“Immediately, I was just running and I slid on the track and I slit open my leg, my side, everything. It was bad.”

“Those cleats slip on that (track) pretty quick,” said veteran slotback Adarius Bowman. “I’m pretty sure it’ll probably prevent not bad injuries, but the little nicks and bruises you get from falling on that stuff.”

Both Chambers and Bowman also like the new end zones, which Chambers called “amazing,” because there’s another five or more yards for receivers to make plays.

“I’m very excited we’ve got that there,” said Bowman. “We can catch that corner ball instead of being on the track when you get your corner ball.”

Bowman said he used to adjust his pass routes so he didn’t risk running out of room in the corner of the end zone.

“The addition will help me a bit more,” he said. “I feel like I will have a lot more time, I probably can burst out of my route a little bit further, but it definitely will make the game a lot safer.”

It’s not just the receivers who like the new end zones. Fourth-year CFL veteran Chris Rwabukamba, who is competing for a job at the safety position, is also excited.

“I definitely feel it’s going to be better for us. Player safety is No. 1,” he said. “We already play a very violent game, so any rule that helps the players and keeps them safe and keeps them playing a longer time, I’m all for it.

“I definitely feel like it’ll help the players, help receivers and DBs, to make plays,” he added.

While the receivers see more room to get open, Rwabukamba takes a different viewpoint.

“I look at it like the longer the ball hangs in the air, it’s my ball, so it gives me a little more time to go get it as well,” he said. “I feel it’ll give DBs more chances to make plays.”

Rwabukamba hasn’t had any bad experiences deep in the end zone at Commonwealth Stadium, but he felt the rounded end zones at Montreal’s Percival Molson Stadium cost him an interception last year “because I was worried with the way the end was.”

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Ravi and rdavies. I guess I haven't paid attention to it recently either. Now all we need is McGill to do the same.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    That's great to read, rdavies. Thanks for the info.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Drew Edwards and Steve Milton's first impressions at Tim Hortons Field

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Looks really good. Apparently they are going to make a decision on occupancy Sunday afternoon, which is ridiculous. I am just going to watch on TV, can't be bothered trying to make plans anymore.