Thread: Argo Hype

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Obviously I'm not doing a very good job of outlining the issue/concerns. So here goes again (hopefully more successfully):
    .CFTO, a Bell owned station, on the Sunday evening sports segment of their news hour, made no mention of the Argo game on Monday
    .The sports broadcaster covered a myriad of other sports quite extensively
    .The Argos are in desperate need for media coverage--yet got none on the sports segment of the CFTO news on Sunday
    .CFTO may have covered the Flutie/Bubblehead item the week before but said nothing about the game itself on the crucial day preceding the game

As far as Copeland is concerned, I have no idea, what he has or hasn't done but judging solely by results, he has been spectacularly unsuccessful at getting the team broad and acceptable media coverage. As the CEO he has to recognize that this is a priority and must accept the success or lack of success at achieving this goal.

That's my last attempt at explaining my concern re. the absence of any mention of the Argos on CFTO's Sunday's sports segment. My apologies at any lack of clarity in articulating the essence of the concern.
    I'm with you on this Shatto, no excuses for not mentioning this game during the telecast.
    Not buying the busy sports day so no time to mention it take on it as well, simply can't afford to cut any corners in regards to getting the message out there.
    TSN 1050 has however done a good job today in mentioning this game, Clemons and Flutie both interviewed with some interesting insight.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I get super annoyed at sports radio here that talks virtually zero about the league in general. Here we are a month into what has been a season of great games with great stories and it's crickets at the sports stations. To make it even worse....they broadcast American programming way too much, when that total should be zero!!! You are never going to ever hear one thing about Canada during those. I place all the blame on the lackies that are on the air who just love to have American guests and talk hours about some running back at some college or NFL team. We need more Mike Hogans out there !!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Doug Flutie on the Rogers Blue Jays broadcast right now. Commentators are talking about the Argonauts too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    That's patently false.....
    It's actually patently true. I clearly referenced the streetcar contract.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    It's actually patently true. I clearly referenced the streetcar contract.
    It pretty much was through the usual Toronto political trickery:

"But the streetcar fiasco is a good moment to reflect. OK, we preserved jobs in Thunder Bay. But we don’t have the damn streetcars, and we’re left with far more tough talk than we have leverage.

If the bidding process for these streetcars wasn’t rigged in Bombardier’s favour, you can’t blame people for being suspicious. Skoda’s highly regarded 10T model was conveniently excluded because the TTC insisted on a 100 per cent low-floor model. (The 10T was 50 per cent low-floor; its successor is 100 per cent.) Siemens struggled with the Cancon requirement, and dropped out of the initial, aborted bidding process at*the last minute.

You certainly can’t say Toronto did everything possible to get the best deal — indeed, then-TTC chairman Adam Giambrone had hoped to aim for 50 per cent Cancon, and board member Glenn De Baeremaeker tried to have whole thing sole-sourced to Bombardier, all based on the premise that Thunder Bay will suffer if we don’t buy domestic, and that that’s the TTC’s business."

http://nationalpost.com/news/toronto...8-ec6568d186fc
    Last edited by Neely2005; 07-26-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    That's an opinion column, not a new story or investigation piece, but in his search for conspiracies even he admits the city got the lowest price.

Fact remains Siemens bid half a billion more before "dropping out", and the TTC got the best deal from a company who had supplied every major TTC and GO order since the early 70s without any major issues. The notion that the city screwed up in this case rather than Bombardier is ridiculous.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    So, maybe the Argos could rent the 5 or 6 new streetcars we do have for the 2 hours prior to their games to help us out of towners get as close to BMO as possible. Even a bus or two - LOL! Hamilton adds extra buses, as do Ottawa and Montreal (the Alouette Express). With the current size of the crowds it may not be required, but the easier it is to get there, the more the crowd might grow. It is really a no lose situation to add a few buses to the routes leading to the EX: regular TTC users get better service for a couple of hours and Argo ticket holders get a free ride to the gates of the Ex. The TTC can advertise it as a goodwill gesture to Toronto sports fans (Do it for all of the teams if they don't already, due to actual demand for, say, Jays or TFC). Surely Bell could underwrite this to kindle support for the team. BMO is a great venue, but it is a total pain to get to...

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    CFTO had a segment on the Argos. Even mentioned that Woods might be ready to go. Paul Woods is still on the IR.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    For what it's worth, I have noticed an increase in Argos coverage in The Star the last couple of weeks. Previously it seemed the only paper covering the team regularly was The Sun. This can only be a good thing!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    So, no mention of the Argonauts game tomorrow night on CFTO News sports section during the 6:00 pm broadcast.
    Is someone here going to rip Michael Copelend for not forcing CFTO to program their broadcast to the liking of Argonauts fans?
    Because, after all, that is within his power to do.

SMH.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    So, no mention of the Argonauts game tomorrow night on CFTO News sports section during the 6:00 pm broadcast.
    Is someone here going to rip Michael Copelend for not forcing CFTO to program their broadcast to the liking of Argonauts fans?
    Because, after all, that is within his power to do.

SMH.
    Tweet it to him him and cfto/ctv news and whoever is doing the sports.

Make it known to them we want our games advertised.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    Tweet it to him him and cfto/ctv news and whoever is doing the sports.

Make it known to them we want our games advertised.
    Perhaps you misunderstood my post above.
    I was criticizing the demand that Michael Copeland should dictate to CFTO how they program their news program.
    CFTO is NOT an advertising agent for the Argonauts. It is a commercial broadcast enterprise. It owes nothing to the Argonauts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    Perhaps you misunderstood my post above.
    I was criticizing the demand that Michael Copeland should dictate to CFTO how they program their news program.
    CFTO is NOT an advertising agent for the Argonauts. It is a commercial broadcast enterprise. It owes nothing to the Argonauts.
    it looked like you were complaining that the game wasn't even mentioned.

The channel is owned by bell or is an affiliate, they should be able to cross promote the argos on their channel.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    it looked like you were complaining that the game wasn't even mentioned.

The channel is owned by bell or is an affiliate, they should be able to cross promote the argos on their channel.
    And they have been, just not every single day. They'll probably cover tomorrow's game tomorrow.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    At the risk of offending those who feel any criticism of Copeland is unwarranted, the lack of any mention of the next day Argo game on CFTO sports news is a missed opportunity to high profile the game to the casual CFL fan. Bell owns both the Argos (in part) and CTV (CFTO), so cross promoting would serve Bell in good stead. Improved coverage of the Argos on a Bell platform raises awareness of the team and could possible help attendance.
    One would expect that improving attendance would be a very high priority of an Argo CEO. If Copeland is unable or unwilling to attempt to persuade Bell of the benefits of better coverage of the Argos on their local channel, then I respectfully suggest he is missing out on a potentially valuable strategy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    At the risk of offending those who feel any criticism of Copeland is unwarranted, the lack of any mention of the next day Argo game on CFTO sports news is a missed opportunity to high profile the game to the casual CFL fan. Bell owns both the Argos (in part) and CTV (CFTO), so cross promoting would serve Bell in good stead. Improved coverage of the Argos on a Bell platform raises awareness of the team and could possible help attendance.
    One would expect that improving attendance would be a very high priority of an Argo CEO. If Copeland is unable or unwilling to attempt to persuade Bell of the benefits of better coverage of the Argos on their local channel, then I respectfully suggest he is missing out on a potentially valuable strategy.
    So, you have no issue with a news program being used as a captive agent for promoting unrelated ventures?
    And no issue with the president of an unrelated venture having the power to dictate content on that news program?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Not sure why you are so agitated at the idea of a holding organization encouraging cross promotion.

Attempting to persuade Bell for better team coverage is a far cry from "having the power to dictate"

CEO's connect and communicate with other CEO's all the time. CEO's within a multi- organization are normally in regular communication both formally and informally. To use this relationship to encourage an action beneficial to one's own organization is very normal and expected.

Perhaps, we should just accept that we have different views on the advisability of attempting to encourage better Argo coverage on CFTO. I respect your views even if I disagree with them. All that I ask is the same consideration. Let's agree to disagree.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Not sure why you are so agitated at the idea of a holding organization encouraging cross promotion.

Attempting to persuade Bell for better team coverage is a far cry from "having the power to dictate"

CEO's connect and communicate with other CEO's all the time. CEO's within a multi- organization are normally in regular communication both formally and informally. To use this relationship to encourage an action beneficial to one's own organization is very normal and expected.

Perhaps, we should just accept that we have different views on the advisability of attempting to encourage better Argo coverage on CFTO. I respect your views even if I disagree with them. All that I ask is the same consideration. Let's agree to disagree.
    I believe that you don't understand my point that a news reporting agency should not be a tool for marketing a product.

But yes, I can agree to disagree.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

And as I've asked before how do you know that Copeland isn't already doing this?