Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Let's not overstate how well Fajardo did.
    Well a lot of his passes were off target, even some completions. He was obviously tight and could have used more practice reps. But he lifted up the team as soon as he went in. That run where he destroyed the DB at the sidelines was a statement maker. The O-Line and the running game got better when Fajardo came in. Whitaker is perfectly suited for the read option, so is Coombs, we could suddenly have a running game on our hands.

But Shatto is right, the play where that stiff Paden dropped the TD pass was a truly spectacular big-time football play. Spin-move from the rush, outrun three guys, unloading with something on it while running full speed to the left, threading the needle to an open guy in the endzone. There's not too many QBs on the planet that can make that play.

Fajardo's got tons of room for improvement, but i'm surprised that anybody would be "dismayed" by his performance.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I'm dismayed by your lack of perspective, Rich.

*Thoroughly* dismayed.

Seriously though - do you think Fajardo's performance has shown that he might reliably "put the ball where it needs to be" in the near future? I don't see it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post

Seriously though - do you think Fajardo's performance has shown that he might reliably "put the ball where it needs to be" in the near future? I don't see it.
    Put it this way: I will be disappointed if he doesn't show any improvement in his next start. I can't believe people won't cut him a little slack. He's got some kinks to work out for sure, but remember he took the MINORITY of reps in practice this week. The guy has never taken starter's reps with this team. He should have taken them this week. By giving Mathews starter's reps and playing him for a half, the Professor made a serious mistake that may have cost this team a win IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Put it this way: I will be disappointed if he doesn't show any improvement in his next start. I can't believe people won't cut him a little slack. He's got some kinks to work out for sure, but remember he took the MINORITY of reps in practice this week. The guy has never taken starter's reps with this team. He should have taken them this week. By giving Mathews starter's reps and playing him for a half, the Professor made a serious mistake that may have cost this team a win IMO.
    People are just voicing their opinions based on watching him play, don't think anyone is writing the guy off just yet.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Well a lot of his passes were off target, even some completions. He was obviously tight and could have used more practice reps. But he lifted up the team as soon as he went in. That run where he destroyed the DB at the sidelines was a statement maker. The O-Line and the running game got better when Fajardo came in. Whitaker is perfectly suited for the read option, so is Coombs, we could suddenly have a running game on our hands.

But Shatto is right, the play where that stiff Paden dropped the TD pass was a truly spectacular big-time football play. Spin-move from the rush, outrun three guys, unloading with something on it while running full speed to the left, threading the needle to an open guy in the endzone. There's not too many QBs on the planet that can make that play.

Fajardo's got tons of room for improvement, but i'm surprised that anybody would be "dismayed" by his performance.

Agreed - Rich - that one play by Fajardo where he escaped, was on the run and threw a strike in the end-zone (dropped by Paden - this stiff plays while Noel or Jones sit on the bench ???) was a really nice QB play that shows the potential this guy has.

Would have been nice (and smarter) to see what Fajardo could have done with a full week of starter reps in practice; but oh well, the coaching staff is always right and they wanted a more experienced QB with more "arm strength" i guess.

IF Trestman is such a sharp offensive coach, he should be able to develop a game plan for a mobile, scrambling QB - it opens up the run game more for a quality back like Whitaker or Coombs with some carries, and the D backs worrying about coming up to stop a running QB should open up some deep passing game - a run game supplemented by plenty of medium to long bomb passing attack - love to see what that could do. But, IMO - a lot of CFL offensive coaching "thinkers" have little to no use for an applied ground game and are also afraid of deep passing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Agreed - Rich - that one play by Fajardo where he escaped, was on the run and threw a strike in the end-zone (dropped by Paden - this stiff plays while Noel or Jones sit on the bench ???) was a really nice QB play that shows the potential this guy has.

Would have been nice (and smarter) to see what Fajardo could have done with a full week of starter reps in practice; but oh well, the coaching staff is always right and they wanted a more experienced QB with more "arm strength" i guess.

IF Trestman is such a sharp offensive coach, he should be able to develop a game plan for a mobile, scrambling QB - it opens up the run game more for a quality back like Whitaker or Coombs with some carries, and the D backs worrying about coming up to stop a running QB should open up some deep passing game - a run game supplemented by plenty of medium to long bomb passing attack - love to see what that could do. But, IMO - a lot of CFL offensive coaching "thinkers" have little to no use for an applied ground game and are also afraid of deep passing.
    Both Paden and Fuller have been pretty much useless in the Argo lineup, Williams is much better and I suspect either of Noel and Jones would be an upgrade.
    I don't understand the hesitation in getting these guys game action.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Both Paden and Fuller have been pretty much useless in the Argo lineup, Williams is much better and I suspect either of Noel and Jones would be an upgrade.
    I don't understand the hesitation in getting these guys game action.
    I do. ;o)