Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
Since when does a replay need to prove that the call on the field was correct? On the overturned PI call the explanation by the ref was that there was not enough video evidence to determine pass interference. But PI was the call. Therefore you need evidence that it was NOT PI.

Also, on the last set of penalty calls against the Als. 10 yard OC, 15 yard Roughing the passer, and 15 yard face mask...40 yards total. Ref even said "we will go up 40 yards". So please explain to me how moving from the 16 to the 46 is 40 yards? Ball should have gone to the Als 54.
Both great points. I thought evidence has to be conclusive that a call was wrong -- based on the in-stadium replay on the INT call, there was at least some evidence to support the call. My daughter also noticed that we didn't seem to go up 40 yards on that insane triple penalty call. Earlier in the game the refs almost botched the yardage on a half-the-distance penalty, but they corrected it before the ball was snapped.

I'd also love to know why some penalties get declined and others get applied. There was a call in the game when two major penalties offset each other, but there had also been a defensive offside call that was apparently declined by the Argos even tho it would have given them a first down had the other two penalties not been applied. Do major penalties somehow over-ride basic penalties of execution?