Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    no no no

this is a guy who couldn’t take the NFL seriously, how do we think he’s going to take the cfl seriously?

I don’t get a sense that he needs the money – why does anyone really think he’s going to show up and grind? I for one see disaster – honestly I hope he figures his life out and maybe I’m dead wrong on this but I don’t think the CFL is the answer here.
    Personally, i think it would be GREAT for the Argos. Manziel + Drake are buddies, you want that Millennial interest? there it is. That's a 100% recipe for gold.

Why would Johnny want in? Easy, if he is reformed as he says he is, it's the EASIEST way to to get the attention of the NFL. Prove yourself, prove that you don't have an ego, that you still have skill, that you can work with a team and the NFL will come CALLING. how many players did the CFL release early to "pursue NFL opportunities" already? The NFL cherry picks our talent, they're always watching.

Johnny signs with the Argos, for 1 year for decent money (CFL terms, not his) it shows he's humbled
    Johnny will get opportunity to play, Willy may not pay off and Ray is too often injured, which will get the attention of NFL big-wigs
    Johnny reaches out to Drizzy, Drizzy shows up to 1 game. JUST ONE, and we'll have sold out tickets. 100% guaranteed.

The risk?
    brings bad press to the Argos...but as the saying goes, no such thing as bad publicity.
    we do shit in the season. we'd still sell out, for those who buy tickets in hopes to see Drake chillin' on the sidelines.
    we pay too much. Willy. need i say more?
    he leaves after 1 season - expected
    he trashes the game/league. <- this is the worse case scenario IMO.

the rewards?
    rejuvenate the Argos
    recognition on the world stage
    Johnny gets opportunity show his new colours
    Argos get to show the beauty of our stadium
    CFL gets to show our awesome game.

The biggest group who would oppose this play would be the old guard, the purists. Unfortunately, we need to reach beyond them. We need spectacle. If we want the Argos to thrive, we'd need to sacrifice what we "think" is best and open our eyes to opportunity.

I really hope someone from Argos HQ saw this. lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenners View Post
    Personally, i think it would be GREAT for the Argos. Manziel + Drake are buddies, you want that Millennial interest? there it is. That's a 100% recipe for gold.

Why would Johnny want in? Easy, if he is reformed as he says he is, it's the EASIEST way to to get the attention of the NFL. Prove yourself, prove that you don't have an ego, that you still have skill, that you can work with a team and the NFL will come CALLING. how many players did the CFL release early to "pursue NFL opportunities" already? The NFL cherry picks our talent, they're always watching.

Johnny signs with the Argos, for 1 year for decent money (CFL terms, not his) it shows he's humbled
    Johnny will get opportunity to play, Willy may not pay off and Ray is too often injured, which will get the attention of NFL big-wigs
    Johnny reaches out to Drizzy, Drizzy shows up to 1 game. JUST ONE, and we'll have sold out tickets. 100% guaranteed.

The risk?
    brings bad press to the Argos...but as the saying goes, no such thing as bad publicity.
    we do shit in the season. we'd still sell out, for those who buy tickets in hopes to see Drake chillin' on the sidelines.
    we pay too much. Willy. need i say more?
    he leaves after 1 season - expected
    he trashes the game/league. <- this is the worse case scenario IMO.

the rewards?
    rejuvenate the Argos
    recognition on the world stage
    Johnny gets opportunity show his new colours
    Argos get to show the beauty of our stadium
    CFL gets to show our awesome game.

The biggest group who would oppose this play would be the old guard, the purists. Unfortunately, we need to reach beyond them. We need spectacle. If we want the Argos to thrive, we'd need to sacrifice what we "think" is best and open our eyes to opportunity.

I really hope someone from Argos HQ saw this. lol
    I love the enthusiasm, but it should be noted that Ricky Williams didn't exactly help the Argos kill it at the box office. If Manziel's plan was to come up here for a year to establish that he has changed his ways, then what from an Argos perspective? They don't need one and done guys to be the face of the team. That may mean one and done with fans that are only here to see that player. They had it with guys like Chad Owens, Ricky Ray and Andre Durie.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    They don't need one and done guys to be the face of the team. That may mean one and done with fans that are only here to see that player.
    No they shouldn't do it if it is for only one year. At least two, and I'd even be hoping to squeeze three years out of the guy, he is still only 24. But even if it's only two, we'd hopefully have Fajardo still ready to run the same offence after Johnny left.
    Last edited by Rich; 02-11-2017 at 02:40 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    No they shouldn't do it if it is for only one year. At least two, and I'd even be hoping to squeeze three years out of the guy, he is still only 24. But even if it's only two, we'd hopefully have Fajardo still ready to run the same offence after Johnny left.
    If you can get his name on a 3 year contract, absolutely, let`s get his rights and do it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Manziel is obviously a pretty good QB talent - from his US college ball play anyways; but he didn't do much in some NFL opportunity, plus he seems like a head-case with party galore problems = Argos do not need an over-hyped ego-head clown competing at QB, IMO.

Much rather see them sign (probably won't be drafted) Mac QB Asher Hastings - who set the CIS single season TD passing record a couple of years back - decent size too at 6-2, 215. I realize I would be wayyyy in the minority here (a lot of CFL fans probably never heard of the guy), but IMO he would be worth a TC look - and probably proud to get a CFL shot and learn/develop; as opposed to a character like Manziel who probably figures he would get handed the Argo starting job and walk all-over CFL defences.

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I love the enthusiasm, but it should be noted that Ricky Williams didn't exactly help the Argos kill it at the box office. If Manziel's plan was to come up here for a year to establish that he has changed his ways, then what from an Argos perspective? They don't need one and done guys to be the face of the team. That may mean one and done with fans that are only here to see that player. They had it with guys like Chad Owens, Ricky Ray and Andre Durie.
    I don't necessarily think we need a face for the team or want one. That's too short sighted. What we need is a circus. Interest. If 10 people come I hopes of seeing Drake and Manziel, and only 2 come back the year after that's 2 more young fans to our game.

Will it happen? Doubtful. But tbh for anyone to say no right off the bat is a lil too short sighted and elitist. I love the game and what we need for it to do well and not be an afterthought in Toronto is something big to draw interest.

After that we need to continue what we currently have, great atmosphere, great location and field, a great schedule and hopefully a winning team. All of which we can build and continue after Manziel.

All of these would, i'd argue, make Argos a big BIG draw.

My apologies for my passion, I just get a bit excited when thinking of ways to get the team we love away from this 3rd rate team bullshit.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenners View Post
    I don't necessarily think we need a face for the team or want one. That's too short sighted. What we need is a circus. Interest. If 10 people come I hopes of seeing Drake and Manziel, and only 2 come back the year after that's 2 more young fans to our game.

Will it happen? Doubtful. But tbh for anyone to say no right off the bat is a lil too short sighted and elitist. I love the game and what we need for it to do well and not be an afterthought in Toronto is something big to draw interest.

After that we need to continue what we currently have, great atmosphere, great location and field, a great schedule and hopefully a winning team. All of which we can build and continue after Manziel.

All of these would, i'd argue, make Argos a big BIG draw.

My apologies for my passion, I just get a bit excited when thinking of ways to get the team we love away from this 3rd rate team bullshit.
    Shortsighted would be bringing in a malcontent who seemingly has no self respect and even less respect for the organization he plays for.
    Short term sideshow that would have zero impact on the Argonauts long term viability and in fact would smack of desperation.
    How about they get the basics taken care of first, hire a GM, stabilize their coaching staff and go from there.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions