Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Also, Robert Gill doesn't look like a football player. I respect his speed and am impressed that he has protected the ball (in the first half), but I sincerely hope that he's off the roster by Labour day.
    If I heard Suitor correctly, he only played basketball and did track in college. He did not play football.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    All of that is true, Gabe. My point was that his (extensive) playing time is a strong sign of just how desperate we are on offense right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    If I heard Suitor correctly, he only played basketball and did track in college. He did not play football.
    He is a little undersized, but he has impressed me this game. Great acceleration. Ray has hit him with a few short passes and before you know it, he's upfield another 5 yards. Byron Parker didn't play college ball either and Pinball looked nothing like a football player, so I won't count Gill out yet. Hopefully he can learn to field punts someday.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Gill is 30, ArgoZ.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Gill is almost 30, ArgoZ.
    29 years old still allows for plenty of life, even in football years. There's no reason why he can't perform like today for another 5 years. For a backup to our backups, I am quite happy with him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Pretty solid game by the Argos - D was strong; Ray back in form with accurate passing; good run game with Steele & Slaton (fumble concerns though).

Some concerns still - too many penalties; no deep threat passing game. But at least more positives compared to negatives lately.

Argos maybe got a bit lucky with that long TD pass to Bryant getting called back (seemed like an iffy or phantom "hands to the face" call against Bomber OT Howard ?)- might have been a much different / closer game if not for that call.

Boatman
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I haven't yet adapted to Mike Bradwell as our punt return guy. Has it really come to "We'll just catch the ball and hang on to it"?

Having said that, we seem to be grinding out a decent game.
    was thinking the same thing.Atleast until we find a replacement for Owens on returns.Hey it can only help Bradwells over all game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Gill is 30, ArgoZ.
    A few years ago the Argos acquired a RB named Jamall Robertson who was 32. He had a couple great years with bad Argo teams before going to BC and won a GC.
    Last edited by gilthethrill; 08-12-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Also, Robert Gill doesn't look like a football player. I respect his speed and am impressed that he has protected the ball (in the first half), but I sincerely hope that he's off the roster by Labour day.
    What about Gill did you not like, Wobbler? I thought that he played fairly well tonight with six catches for 50 yards and some decent kickoff returns. As a fill-in, at least, I have no problem with him. I am not sure he is any kind of long-term solution but the Argos aren't asking him to be that at this time.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    He played football in high school, and focused on track in college (given his 40 time and trendmill video, shows how fast international sprinters are). He played 5 yrs in Arena League and some time with Arizona.

Yeah, he is definately a project.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    So is anyone going to complain about Ricky Ray's performance after this game? He proved yet again just how much of an elite QB that he is. To put up almost 300 yards passing and four TDs with five receivers injured is nothing short of phenomenal IMO. Milanovich and the coaching staff did a terrific job getting this team ready to play tonight too (save for some problems on special teams).
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Level
    Ray's best game of the season! I was also really impressed with Bradwell's effort in the 4th quarter to get the first down on second and long. Steele played well and is my favourite feature back on the team. There's a place for Slaton as well but was more confident with Steele grinding out the rest of the game after those 2 fumbles. The biggest struggle tonight was the penalties!!!!!! They really need to clean that up.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Winnipeg fatigued as the game went on and it was clear that they were the ones on a short week. I was concerned after the first Winnipeg TD, but the D solidified after that quite successfully. The pressure on Willy was very good by the end of the game and Grigsby aside from one long run wasn't much of a factor.

Ricky Ray completed passes to ten different receivers tonight. Perhaps, if he's been unable to form chemistry with any of these new games he's decided to go with a different tactic and spread the love around. He rolled around tonight a bit, but wasn't forced to run very much. That TD pass to Steele was a thing of beauty. That run by Steele where he dragged the pile was also a thing of beauty. The offensive line was very good as well.

The Bombers return man is very fast and the Argos had a ton of trouble containing him. The penalties were also ridiculous and need to stop! Winnipeg, fortunately, took a few stupid ones as well to counter the stupid penalties the Argos were taking.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Pretty solid game by the Argos - D was strong; Ray back in form with accurate passing; good run game with Steele & Slaton (fumble concerns though).

Some concerns still - too many penalties; no deep threat passing game. But at least more positives compared to negatives lately.

Argos maybe got a bit lucky with that long TD pass to Bryant getting called back (seemed like an iffy or phantom "hands to the face" call against Bomber OT Howard ?)- might have been a much different / closer game if not for that call.
    Agree with your summary.
    The turning point was the BB TD called back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level

Very happy with the two lines. Cleyon Laing had a really stupid penalty and that drove me nuts, but other than that, pretty awesome. Tyler Holmes and Wayne Smith were great on offense. Whatever happened to Thaddeus Gibson? Couldn't stay on side? Wasn't preparing well enough?

I'm really liking our DBs on short passes. They seem to be able to limit the YAC very effectively. Good tackling.

Great game from Curtis Steele! He should start at RB. Despite his fumbles, I like Slatons hands on passes. Why now try him out at the slot until owens and barnes are better?

I've been down on Bradwell for years, and I've been really unimpressed with Watt this season. He's the last incumbant receiver, and still not getting open for Ricky? Well Bradwells really stepped up to play where needed, and Watt had a good game today. Let's hope there's more of this to come.

I like the signature third uniforms, but I don't think I'll buy one.

Great game Argos!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Agree with your summary.
    The turning point was the BB TD called back.
    How in the world was that the turning point? Argos had a 10 point lead at the time and Bombers had about 150 yards in total offence to that point. If that play would have put Winnipeg ahead, then yes, it can be considered a turning point.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Game turned out well for the good guys.
    Slaton had some good runs tonight, must protect the ball better.
    Much better D overall tonight.
    Some justified penalties on both sides but must say the flags (this season in particular) are outrageous and absolutely kill the flow of the game. Argonauts get an illegal block penalty on a punt????
    Glad to see Watt get a TD after a critical drop earlier in the game.
    Burke needs to work on the DB's timing their blitz's at the line of scrimmage as well.
    Overall they are making progress, good to bag some wins while our regular guys are injured!

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The turning point was when Slaton fumbled the ball the 2nd time the Bombers had marched the ball out to about mid-field and seemed poised to pin the Argos deep. Romby Bryant fumbled the ball and the Argos recovered giving them much better field positioning. Ricky Ray then hit Steele with that TD to put the Argos up for good.

BTW, fumbling is what caused Steve Slaton his job down south.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dmont View Post

Very happy with the two lines. Cleyon Laing had a really stupid penalty and that drove me nuts, but other than that, pretty awesome. Tyler Holmes and Wayne Smith were great on offense. Whatever happened to Thaddeus Gibson? Couldn't stay on side? Wasn't preparing well enough?
    Gibson was injured in Saskatchewan and is out long-term. He has been placed on the six-game injury list.

Quote Originally Posted by dmont
    Despite his fumbles, I like Slatons hands on passes. Why now try him out at the slot until owens and barnes are better?
    Being a slotback and being a tailback are two very different positions, even moreso for an American player new to the Canadian game. Remember that it took Durie a good year or two before he started feeling comfortable at the slotback position and he grew up playing the Canadian game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Achievements:
    Level
    Waters may have had a good average, but I wasn't impressed with his punting. Other than that and penalties, not much I can complain about.