Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 2195
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Oh how things change? Toronto was thrilled to have baseball being played in the mistake by the lake and now no stadium will ever satisfy the masses. Now the Dome is thought of as a pit.

It's a multi purpose stadium, that's all you need to know.
    Not designed with the Argos in mind, that was all bs from Paul Godfrey.
    In fact, even watching the Crap Jays is awful.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Buddy of mine is friends with someone close to Braley, was told Argonauts will be sold to MLSE and moved to BMO, should be announced in the next month or so.
    I mean no offense by this, so please don't take this the wrong way............ While I'd be glad if this were true, the problem is that it's coming from Braley and IIRC when asked about it before by a Vancouver writer, his answer was that it will happen, because it just makes too much sense for it not to. Not the strongest reasoning IMO, however stranger things have happened.
    Last edited by R.J; 01-16-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I mean no offense by this, so please don't take this the wrong way............ While I'd be glad if this were true, the problem is that it's coming from Braley and IIRC when asked about it before by a Vancouver writer, his answer was that it will happen, because it just makes too much sense for it not to. Not the strongest reasoning IMO, however stranger things have happened.

Wow, that is one offensive post.

But the truth is, it DOES make too much sense for the deal not to happen.

MLSE just spent over $100M refurbishing BMO. The MLSE Board wants to see some return on that investment. They're not going to get anything back from TFC, who spend a lot more than they make.

So MLSE desperately needs to find more events to generate more revenue from BMO. And for the price of two European soccer players, they can purchase the Argonauts, a relatively low-cost organization that delivers at least 10 more dates for BMO. In the worst-case scenario, the Argos still only draw 20,000 fans.

But I'd be willing to bet that MLSE will still make a little money with 20,000 Argos tickets sold, when you add in all concessions and parking at BMO. If they can get it over 25,000 they're probably pulling good money in. The timing is perfect, it makes too much sense not to do it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

MLSE just spent over $100M refurbishing BMO. The MLSE Board wants to see some return on that investment. They're not going to get anything back from TFC, who spend a lot more than they make.

So MLSE desperately needs to find more events to generate more revenue from BMO. And for the price of two European soccer players, they can purchase the Argonauts, a relatively low-cost organization that delivers at least 10 more dates for BMO. In the worst-case scenario, the Argos still only draw 20,000 fans.

But I'd be willing to bet that MLSE will still make a little money with 20,000 Argos tickets sold, when you add in all concessions and parking at BMO. If they can get it over 25,000 they're probably pulling good money in. The timing is perfect, it makes too much sense not to do it.
    MLSE ownership should be able to pull in 25k per game, I'm also sure ticket prices will be set to provide a decent profit as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

I just didn't want the poster to get the impression that I didn't believe his or her friend etc. Or that Braley himself should be considered a reliable source etc.

I do agree with your point though, however IMO it would have made even more sense had MLSE bought the Argos when BMO was being built.

Having seen the designs for Canadian football though, I have to give Bob Mitchell credit for making a decent looking stadium that can house both the Argos and TFC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    The only concern I have about MLSE is that they have great business savvy but have horrible track record of winning. In the long run, the Leafs can get away with mediocre seasons without hurting at the gate. Can the Argos?

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level

MLSE didn't spend $90M of their own money to renovate BMO Field with out a plan to make a return on their investment. I agree with you that they could probably make a profit on the Argos at BMO Field if they owned the Argos. However, I don't think they need the Argos that desperately or they would have added the $10M more that is needed to get them into BMO Field.

The BMO Field renovations appear to be geared mostly towards corporate clients and getting a winter classic or possibly doing a Leaf outdoor game annually both of which would generate stupid amounts of money.

In my opinion either the $10M will come from somewhere other than MLSE to get the Argos into BMO Field or MLSE will purchase the Argos at a price they want (They can wait Braley out.) and then MLSE will put in the $10M into BMO Field.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Naylor on Argos future and BMO field

Dave Naylor host of TSN Drive joins The Bryan Hayes show to talk about the Argos' potential home at BMO field and whether or not it will happen.

Not much to report here in the way of news but at least they're trying.

Banned
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:

Level
    Don't think BMO should be ruined by gridiron.

BMO is a football (soccer) stadium and should remain that way.

However, if all the concerns of football fans can be met, I wouldn't object to the Argos to move in.

But I would rather prefer a stadium for the Argos in partnership with U of T.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    MLSE didn't spend $90M of their own money to renovate BMO Field with out a plan to make a return on their investment. I agree with you that they could probably make a profit on the Argos at BMO Field if they owned the Argos. However, I don't think they need the Argos that desperately or they would have added the $10M more that is needed to get them into BMO Field.

The BMO Field renovations appear to be geared mostly towards corporate clients and getting a winter classic or possibly doing a Leaf outdoor game annually both of which would generate stupid amounts of money.

In my opinion either the $10M will come from somewhere other than MLSE to get the Argos into BMO Field or MLSE will purchase the Argos at a price they want (They can wait Braley out.) and then MLSE will put in the $10M into BMO Field.
    $10 Million? Did I miss something? I'm pretty sure that MLSE said $30 Million and has only received $10 Million from the City of Toronto. That leaves $20 Million outstanding.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    $10 Million? Did I miss something? I'm pretty sure that MLSE said $30 Million and has only received $10 Million from the City of Toronto. That leaves $20 Million outstanding.
    Articles have gone back and forth regarding the provinces commitment being fulfilled. This article from Thursday said:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Articles have gone back and forth regarding the provinces commitment being fulfilled. This article from Thursday said:
    So there's still $20 Million outstanding then.

Also this same article from Thursday casts doubt on the provincial money:

"BMO Field is currently undergoing a $120-million renovation, with the first phase scheduled for completion in time for this summer's Pan-Am Games. But the Argos' future is in limbo after final phase of the refurbishment, which includes the installation of a playing surface capable of accommodating a CFL franchise, was placed on the back burner due to a lack of funding from the provincial and federal governments."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cf...wner-1.2964128

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    So there's still $20 Million outstanding then.

Also this same article from Thursday casts doubt on the provincial money:

"BMO Field is currently undergoing a $120-million renovation, with the first phase scheduled for completion in time for this summer's Pan-Am Games. But the Argos' future is in limbo after final phase of the refurbishment, which includes the installation of a playing surface capable of accommodating a CFL franchise, was placed on the back burner due to a lack of funding from the provincial and federal governments."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cf...wner-1.2964128
    Yes, there appears to be $20M outstanding at this time according to that article. $10M from the province and $10M from the feds. The quote you posted is not casting doubt on the provinces commitment, it is explaining why the Argos portion of the renovations were not included in phase 1 of the BMO Field renovation project. However the province is expected to "make good on their $10-million funding commitments." I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The point is that the province still hasn't delivered on its election promise of $10 Million so $20 Million is outstanding, Not $10 Million.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    The point is that the province still hasn't delivered on its election promise of $10 Million so $20 Million is outstanding, Not $10 Million.
    Ok, I guess that means Braley needs to come up with $20M instead of $10M to get the Argos in to BMO Field at this time then.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I don't recall that being an election promise. I doubt that the Liberals even wanted to talk about it as it would not be popular among much of the electorate.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/18...-on-tfc-issues
    http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/22...ve-renovations
    “That’s a commitment that is a legal obligation to the city and the province,” Leiweke said of the CFL possibly coming to BMO Field. “We will honour that commitment.”
    Maybe the Provincial money will only come if the Argos have a lease for BMO Field ?

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Reading all the angst and venom at Red Patch Boys. You'd think that pitch gave those lads sexual pleasure by the amount they worry and fret over the condition of the grass.

Just get a deal done.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
    Reading all the angst and venom at Red Patch Boys. You'd think that pitch gave those lads sexual pleasure by the amount they worry and fret over the condition of the grass.

Just get a deal done.
    Funny you mention it because I was reading the Red Patch Boys site. Egad! I agree with that they're pretty hostile towards the Argos moving in.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    No one over here is ever hostile towards other sports teams.