Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    ps- tbone. I call your team the nonames in jest due to the fact they have umm no name (fc?) .
    its not a reflection on you at all
    cheers
    Thank you, but I see it as disrespectful to the team. Adding FC (Football Club) to the end of a city name is traditional in soccer around the world. The name of the team is Toronto FC or TFC for short. I'm also not a fan of people calling the Raptors, Craptors, etc. If someone doesn't like something that's fine but I don't see the point of putting it down constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Who referred to the "majority" of Toronto sports fans as sheep or lemmings? - I certainly did not and I don't see that from argoholic either. SO - if you are unsure of a poster's intent/opinion - just ask for further clarification and DO NOT put words in other poster's mouths or assume you understand their opinion.
    To clarify, do you mean like you did here?

For the record - IMO - all sports fans are entitled to their fave sport or team to support; and there are no inherently superior sports - football, hockey, baseball, soccer, basketball, tiddly-winks, golf, mud wrestling, strip poker, etc. - they're all good and people should be free to cheer for whatever; and some people really do enjoy multiple sports & teams = swell, fine & dandy.
    Thank you for clarifying.

However - IMO - there are plenty of "joe average sports fans" I'll call them, without much connection or attachment to a given sport - they didn't play it or follow it growing up, they don't know that much about it; and a lot of those types - in finding a sport to follow even casually, are led to a certain sport or team by media reports, hype, marketing, water cooler babble at work, etc. - and i have no problem calling a lot of those types sheep or lemming like - especially the ones that are inclined to look down their noses at or bad mouth the CFL and Canadian football because they were told/sold it isn't cool or "major league" or "world class" by the wannabe experts in the media. Yep, sorry, there are some sheep & lemmings out there. And that some are surprised or aghast that SOME CFL fans, ON A CFL forum, would be pointing out said lemming like behavior, after putting up with years if not decades of CFL cut-downs, dis-respect and ignorance, and are inclined to defend Canadian football - I just don't know what to make of that - yeah, just shocking? But whatever - to each his own.
    You're entitled to your opinion just as I am mine and in my opinion it's ironic when people complain about something that they themselves do.

Back to the topic at hand:

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    If the truth be told, the Leafs and Argos are the two most popular teams in Toronto. Always has been, always will. You can take all the statistics and on-line polls you want, but football and hockey are the sports Canadian fans like the most...with basketball, soccer, baseball, ect, just part-time time-wasters until the real sports come to play!
    A bold statement but I think you need to define the criteria for "most popular team in Toronto" as popular is a subjective measurement. You said it yourself that online polls are "not necessarily accurate" which is one of the reasons I said way back when:

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Ultimately this poll means very little.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    A bold statement but I think you need to define the criteria for "most popular team in Toronto" as popular is a subjective measurement. You said it yourself that online polls are "not necessarily accurate" which is one of the reasons I said way back when:

Originally Posted by T-Bone
    Ultimately this poll means very little.
    The CTV poll seems legitimate. There were several posters here who followed the progression during the week and the poll was very consistent with no wild "swings" which would indicate vote tampering. The number of respondents seemed realistic also.

Upon further reflection I'd have to admit the Jays are probably more popular than the Argos today. But the Argos are more popular than their low-level ranking in media coverage might reflect.

The Angus Reid poll showed the CFL was followed closely by 22% of Toronto residents; while the NBA 13%; and the MLS 9%...which was pretty much mirrored in the CTV poll.

So by that measure, the Toronto Argonaut Football Club is about 2 1/2 times more popular than the Toronto Football Club. And despite the Jays attracting 3 times as many fans as the Leafs, the Leafs are about 50% more popular than the Jays.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    The CTV poll seems legitimate. There were several posters here who followed the progression during the week and the poll was very consistent with no wild "swings" which would indicate vote tampering. The number of respondents seemed realistic also.

Upon further reflection I'd have to admit the Jays are probably more popular than the Argos today. But the Argos are more popular than their low-level ranking in media coverage might reflect.

The Angus Reid poll showed the CFL was followed closely by 22% of Toronto residents; while the NBA 13%; and the MLS 9%...which was pretty much mirrored in the CTV poll.

So by that measure, the Toronto Argonaut Football Club is about 2 1/2 times more popular than the Toronto Football Club. And despite the Jays attracting 3 times as many fans as the Leafs, the Leafs are about 50% more popular than the Jays.
    Personally I think more factors should be consider to determine "popularity." If you go by Twitter followers alone it goes as follows:

558K Leafs
    415K Jays
    398K Raptors
    73.8K TFC
    41.5K Argos

I think things like season ticket holder numbers, tickets sales, merchandise sales, etc. should be included in to the "popularity" measurement. Ultimately popularity doesn't determine what I enjoy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Personally I think more factors should be consider to determine "popularity." If you go by Twitter followers alone it goes as follows:

558K Leafs
    415K Jays
    398K Raptors
    73.8K TFC
    41.5K Argos

I think things like season ticket holder numbers, tickets sales, merchandise sales, etc. should be included in to the "popularity" measurement. Ultimately popularity doesn't
    determine what I enjoy.
    Twatter followers or facebook likes mean little aside from maybe explaining a leagues demographic. Its a genral consensus that CFL fans are a bit older a demo than other leagues. \The older someone is, the less time and interest there is for social media. The Argos are closing in on 30 thousand facebook followers and I would think that many Argos fans are not facebook people. Kinda kills brunts assessment that the Argos have 15 thou fans top when almost twice as many follow them on facebook.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    Twatter followers or facebook likes mean little aside from maybe explaining a leagues demographic. Its a genral consensus that CFL fans are a bit older a demo than other leagues. \The older someone is, the less time and interest there is for social media. The Argos are closing in on 30 thousand facebook followers and I would think that many Argos fans are not facebook people. Kinda kills brunts assessment that the Argos have 15 thou fans top when almost twice as many follow them on facebook.
    Ok, this is why I said to Invader that he needs to define how to measure "popularity" it's not a standard measument. Any of these things alone are not enough in my opinion. I made a suggestion as to some of the things I think should be included. I would like to see the Argos be more "popular" but ultimately it won't change my enjoyment of going to games etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ok, this is why I said to Invader that he needs to define how to measure "popularity" it's not a standard measument. Any of these things alone are not enough in my opinion. I made a suggestion as to some of the things I think should be included. I would like to see the Argos be more "popular" but ultimately it won't change my enjoyment of going to games etc.
    I'd say TV Ratings and Attendance would be the best measurements. Not everyone uses social media.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I'd say TV Ratings and Attendance would be the best measurements. Not everyone uses social media.
    Like I've been saying "popularity" is not a standard measurement and everyone will have a different set of criteria as to measure it. Personally I don't think those two things alone are enough for a fair assessment. I think additionally other measurable aspects of a teams existence should be included. Also, attendance is not always accurate. It would be nice to see it broken down to season ticket holders, tickets sold per game and giveaways to get a more accurate measurement of attendance. Apparently in the C&S days there were a lot more free tickets given away than now. As for TV ratings, I would still like to see the regional numbers for the Argos vs. the national numbers that are always being discussed.