Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Sure there is. Sinopoli should have taken a look before kicking it, and just run the ball if there was an Argo within 15 yards who wasn't retreating. He wouldn't have gotten a first down, but they could still have punted.
    Exactly; and watching that play from where I was in the stadium, it looked like Sinopoli just fumbled the ball and it went off his foot; if you're going to try that play, the punt should be well down the field to make it worth your while, not a 4 yard dribbler - he could have easily run for more yards.

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Now that was a fun game. Argos won against the RB's who fought the best team in the league to a draw and overtime loss. Montreal went with 2 internationals on their OL this year, we need to do the same as RR was too pressured all game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Hats off to the entire RedBlacks organization. Another sellout. Electric environment in stadium and for blocks in all directions. Big turnout of Millennials, GenX and GenZ and the traditional greying fans. All wore CEL/RedBlacks merchandise. The scoreboard welcomed a number of minor league football teams from Ottawa and Gatineau areas.

We stepped out of the stadium and onto free transit that whisked us right downtown to our hotel.

They created and established a successful brand in four years. Business schools will teach this stuff someday.

This is something to look forward to someday.

I hope you are right about that type of CFL success being duplicated in Toronto; but somehow, there is something deeply wrong there. You are right about all the younger crowd that turns out to party at Lansdowne now for RedBlacks games, and a lot of them decked out in gear - hats, Ts, jersey's , etc. But in Toronnawannabe land this may never be possible, because too many lemming/sheep have been convinced that the CFL is not cool or "major league" and they may never get into it? IMO - this is due to years, no, decades of all the pathetic little wannabe dweebs in the media in TO looking down their noses at the CFL, with negative or mocking or lacking coverage of the Argos & the CFL; and nobody else in the media with the guts to stand up to those wannabes; and too many former Argos fans keeping silent or being intimidated by the B$ ?

How to overcome this ???

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Did J'Michael Deane play at all yesterday? I realize he isn't necessarily a CFL all-star, but IMO the Argos need to see if he'd be an upgrade on Watman before adding a second INT on the offensive line.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I love the kick it in kick it out rule as well.
    We sat right behind the Argos last night and it was great to see how pumped up Lirim H. was when he ran out to the end zone for the last play of the game. 3-down football quirky rule. We love it!
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Ricky Ray is one tough SOB.
    As is Trevor Harris. I will never cut him up again.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    How is it a stupid rule? Because the NFL doesn't do it?

Its football. You should be allowed to kick the ball. In the NFL that would be an illegal kick, because the "kicker" didn't kick the ball. There shouldn't be such a thing as a kicker, until that player kicks the ball. Don't try to contrive the rules like the NFL has to the point of the game no longer being football.
    IMO it's stupid that when you need 21 yards for a first down that you can kick the ball 1 yard down field and recover for a first down. No issue with on side kicks, but the ball should at least have to go past the first down marker.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Both took some hellacious hits, and both deserve kudos for dusting them off and calling the next play.
    IMO it's stupid that when you need 21 yards for a first down that you can kick the ball 1 yard down field and recover for a first down. No issue with on side kicks, but the ball should at least have to go past the first down marker.
    Agreed Angelo, it's a weird rule that needs to be tweaked. I also dislike that you can also essentially kick to yourself in that situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    We sat right behind the Argos last night and it was great to see how pumped up Lirim H. was when he ran out to the end zone for the last play of the game. 3-down football quirky rule. We love it!
    Yeah, you and your son are a couple of camera hogs. Saw you on the TV a couple of times.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    This might sound strange, but I think a big turning g point was when the Argos gamble on 3rd and 2 and came up short. Trestman showed confidence in both the o and d there, and the Argos turned it up a notch for the rest of the game. Confidence goes a long way in football.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yeah, you and your son are a couple of camera hogs. Saw you on the TV a couple of times.

Man you caught us in the act! Haha

The gigs up AngeloV. Interesting team dynamics from that position. We couldnt see a thing on the field and watched the scoreboard. All that we liked. Butler a great teammate. M. Ball pumping up the D. RedBlack fans were riding Ricky, Posey and Green really hard. Posey shut them up with a big TD!
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    This might sound strange, but I think a big turning g point was when the Argos gamble on 3rd and 2 and came up short. Trestman showed confidence in both the o and d there, and the Argos turned it up a notch for the rest of the game. Confidence goes a long way in football.
    That play that will make the CFL bloopers reels for years was huge. Liam could almost hear ESPN Chris Berman say "Come on, man!"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I agree. I said at the time they needed to go for it, and I didn't feel failing was going to hurt them.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It's funny -- we seldom see all 24 players on TV at once, but right before that snap, TSN showed a distant shot and it was clear that the Argos' back eight were all about 15 yards downfield in a sort of "prevent" look. I can totally see why Ott ran that play, because it almost certainly would have worked if Murray hadn't read it and reacted as well as he did.
    I don't think I saw that shot - my video stream was not very reliable yesterday. The isolation video made the play look like a complete no-hoper.

Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Exactly; and watching that play from where I was in the stadium, it looked like Sinopoli just fumbled the ball and it went off his foot; if you're going to try that play, the punt should be well down the field to make it worth your while, not a 4 yard dribbler - he could have easily run for more yards.
    I think very few people understood what was happening while that play was running. The TV explanation was that the goal was to get a "free" first down by recovering a minimum-distance kick, OV, instead of trying to get the 20 yards.

Achievements:

Level
    Wait, what? I thought all on-side kicks had to travel at least 10 yards.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Harris is a very solid CFL QB, with the added "talent" of durability.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Wait, what? I thought all on-side kicks had to travel at least 10 yards.
    That's on a kickoff. I tweeted Glen Johnson last night about the play and he confirmed what Climie said that on a punt, the ball just has to cross the line of scrimmage, and if the kicking team recovers, it's their ball 1st and 10. Really stupid rule. Ball should have to go past the first down marker IMO. I replied to him and said that the rules committee really needs to review this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't think I saw that shot - my video stream was not very reliable yesterday. The isolation video made the play look like a complete no-hoper.

I think very few people understood what was happening while that play was running. The TV explanation was that the goal was to get a "free" first down by recovering a minimum-distance kick, OV, instead of trying to get the 20 yards.

There's a reason, IMO, I guess, that "free" first down by recovering a punt play is rarely tried - very difficult to pull off, even if the ball only has to go one yard (is that the rule?) = only the punter would be able to recover it (unless other players are behind him, it would be no yards penalty?), and it's hard to control a kick like that so you can easily recover - most of the time you will be handing (er, kicking) the ball back to the opposition with just a few yards of field position gained.

The principle of kicking the ball in the Canadian football is different than in American ball - kicking/punting is a way of advancing the ball on the field - , and the rules should be respected and not changed for the sake of being more American. Single points are part of the game; and having the option to return the ball out of the end zone (either running or kicking it) is part of it too - the "reward for failure" argument is garbage by people who do not understand Canadian rules - you can be rewarded field position by kicking the ball, and you also can turn the ball over to the opposition that way. Old Argo fans may recall the infamous Harry Abofs punt return "kick" in the 71 GC - it was ruled he kicked the ball (could have been ruled accidental though?) out of bounds when he was trying to field a Stamps punt - he kicked it back to them by kicking it out of bounds and they got possession back.

Achievements:

Level
    That's on a kickoff. I tweeted Glen Johnson last night about the play and he confirmed what Climie said that on a punt, the ball just has to cross the line of scrimmage, and if the kicking team recovers, it's their ball 1st and 10. Really stupid rule. Ball should have to go past the first down marker IMO. I replied to him and said that the rules committee really needs to review this.
    Huh. I still have a lot to learn about the CFL.

I agree that the current rule is bad. My fix would be just to make the 10 yard requirement universal. That way, it *might* be worth trying on second and long situations to exploit a prevent. If the ball had to pass the first down marker the play would become virtually impossible and might as well be made illegal.

In the meantime, it'll be fun to see who can exploit this rule effectively. I doubt that Ottawa's failure will prevent someone (everyone?) else from giving it a shot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Agreed regarding getting less than the yardage required and being rewarded with a 1st down. Really, IMO, if you catch the pass and the ball hits the turf, is it not either a fumble or an incomplete pass? Also, if it was a punt, Ellingson was blocking down field before the kick, which is a penalty regardless.