Thread: Argo Sale

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    As long as it is permitted. They have to fence it in and have someone checking ID's I believe. Similar to what the Argos have done a few times outside Gate 11 at Rogers Centre. They essentially already do this with space between the north end of BMO Field and the Food Building.
    The team does or fans ?

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    The team does or fans ?
    The team. They sell bottles of Budweiser for $5, have a band playing music, a few food vendors, etc.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    A little further of a walk but the Ontario place lots across lakeshore back right onto the lake and are a really nice spot to tailgate.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    One question that has been in jumping around in my mind since the Press Conference, is who will the team's next C.E.O/President be ?
    I'm hoping/wondering if TanenBELL can convince Keith Pelley to leave his post as Commissioner of the European Golf tour and come back to the Argonauts as C.E.O & President.

New Fan
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:

Level

Positive momentum

According to Mike Hogan it looks like the sale and move to BMO has sparked some renewed interest in the team. Hopefully this translates into increased attendance for 15 as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't understand why tailgating with drinking is such an issue here when it is done in Hamilton in full view every game. Just go to Scott Park across the street from the stadium. I tailgate there with a huge cooler of beer. Police walk about and bother no one. That is still in Ontario, last I looked, so I don't understand why we cannot do it here. Who do we write to ??? lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    One question that has been in jumping around in my mind since the Press Conference, is who will the team's next C.E.O/President be ?
    I'm hoping/wondering if TanenBELL can convince Keith Pelley to leave his post as Commissioner of the European Golf tour and come back to the Argonauts as C.E.O & President.
    I really don't see Pelley leaving that position so soon which I believe is his "dream job". I would prefer to see someone like Mark Cohon if we are going to resurrect a CFL figure from the past.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post
    I don't understand why tailgating with drinking is such an issue here when it is done in Hamilton in full view every game. Just go to Scott Park across the street from the stadium. I tailgate there with a huge cooler of beer. Police walk about and bother no one. That is still in Ontario, last I looked, so I don't understand why we cannot do it here. Who do we write to ??? lol
    What is done in Hamilton is something special in Ontario. I totally agree with you that it would be nice to have that here in Toronto but the bottom line is having open alcohol in a place with out permits or outside of a private residence is illegal and the police can enforce the law.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post
    Perhaps there simply not used to the want for tailgate parties in Toronto?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:

Level
    Let's write to the Premier !! The Mayor... he's a CFL fan !! Just a double standard. Or maybe, just that not enough people here have tried it. Get a whole parking lot full of tailgaters and see what happens.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    You just have to watch the news especially after a long weekend to understand why tailgating is looked down on. How many morons got nailed with drinking and driving last week. Topper was the asshole who was going down the highway the wrong way and hitting a poor couple head on. The poor driver of the vehicle hit died.

Tailgating is great when your on a road trip and staying at a hotel and not driving. For home dates I've always enjoyed hitting a restaurant/bar. Unless we get a hotel in town like we did a few times last year there's no drinking for me. I won't touch a drop when I drive. We have over an hour drive once the GO Train hits Oshawa. My wife doesn't drive so it's up to me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    What is done in Hamilton is something special in Ontario. I totally agree with you that it would be nice to have that here in Toronto but the bottom line is having open alcohol in a place with out permits or outside of a private residence is illegal and the police can enforce the law.
    Just because police can enforce the law, it doesn't mean they do. We've been tailgating, with beers in plastic cups, at York and Bremner for more than 10 years. The cops see us but they leave us alone.

I was told there was tailgating taking place in certain parking lots around BMO. I was told that it was strictly forbidden in the first few years, but in the last couple of years the authorities have been looking the other way. I imagine it's not just the cops but the CNE people who are letting this stuff unofficially take place. I'm surprised you have no knowledge of this.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Level
    I've tailgated for many TFC games...if you drink in coffee cups and don't have beer can empties all over the place you won't get a ticket

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Just because police can enforce the law, it doesn't mean they do. We've been tailgating, with beers in plastic cups, at York and Bremner for more than 10 years. The cops see us but they leave us alone.
    I have been to a few of those tailgates in the past. They are much smaller than what goes on in Hamilton so it's less likely to get noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I was told there was tailgating taking place in certain parking lots around BMO. I was told that it was strictly forbidden in the first few years, but in the last couple of years the authorities have been looking the other way. I imagine it's not just the cops but the CNE people who are letting this stuff unofficially take place. I'm surprised you have no knowledge of this.
    I wasn't aware tailgating was still taking place around BMO Field until this year. Like you said, they cracked down on it in the early years and as a result I thought it was done. I usually go to a near by pub before TFC games.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian45 View Post
    I've tailgated for many TFC games...if you drink in coffee cups and don't have beer can empties all over the place you won't get a ticket
    Good to know.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argonauts' big day overshadowed by Leafs: Mudhar

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2015/0...fs-mudhar.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It's good to see some positive outlooks in the media on the Argos future as the Argo sale wraps up.

At some point this week, the sale of the Argos will close, the due diligence completed, the signing off of the franchise from David Braley to Bell and Larry Tanenbaum official, the future of the franchise made much clearer and more encouraging. ,,,
    In terms of football decisions, the Argos are in good hands with Barker and Milanovich, the two pretty much joined at the hip, two football men who make decisions based on production and character.In terms of the big-picture decision-making, the man in charge has been identified as Dale Lastman, a sporting enthusiast with deep connections to anything and everything involving Toronto.
    Lastman cut his teeth in the legal world, but he’s a huge sports fan, a devout fan of the city who has been involved in previous ownership transactions with the Argos. He has the ear of Tanenbaum, and anyone who has ever dealt with Lastman has nothing but good things to say about the man. On Saturday, Lastman addressed the Argos. One gets the sense that he cares and seems willing to provide the Argos with whatever is required to field a winner.
    For now, it’s hard to pin down his exact title or what kind of authority he’ll have with the Argos. There are those who believe he’ll eventually make the call on Barker and Milanovich. ...
    And judging by the immediate feedback, it’s a good thing Lastman will be involved.
    Not many have given current Argos president Chris Rudge his due, but the man cares and it was his diligence and patience that led to a deal being struck at Downsview, where the Argos have their long-awaited practice facility.
    If the right changes are made to make the set up even more football-friendly, the Argos will once and for all become a destination point for free agents.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/31...-been-in-years

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Now I'm really confused. It was reported at the press conference that the sale will close Dec 31. Now Ziccarelli is saying it will close at some point this week?

Well, maybe I shouldn't be confused...it is Ziccarelli after all.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Now I'm really confused. It was reported at the press conference that the sale will close Dec 31. Now Ziccarelli is saying it will close at some point this week?

Well, maybe I shouldn't be confused...it is Ziccarelli after all.
    If you read the article it says that Braley will still own the Team for this season so I assume that he means all the legal paperwork will be completed this week and the team will officially transfer on December 31st.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    If you read the article it says that Braley will still own the Team for this season so I assume that he means all the legal paperwork will be completed this week and the team will officially transfer on December 31st.
    OK, gotcha. I only read the part of the article posted.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I hope that they will be able to finish this deal by next week and David Braley will have no say on what the Argos do this year. Argos will be in tough to fill bmo field if Braley has all control tell December 31. They need to build up some excitement with fans this year so they can have some kind of momentum with this team in the city. Surprised that they have yet to make anything clear with regards to the move to bmo field and how they can get first option on season tickets etc.. I know it's early but the ball has to start moving with this team!