Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Boatman
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    The 50/50 split figure came from a recent CAMH report, I believe. I'll see if I can find the exact report. And by all measures, I do believe that the physical violence and damage is much worse against women. Men tend to suffer more from emotional abuse, and less violent physical abuse. This is a generalized statement from mix of what I've read, and witnessed in my previous career.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronInToronto View Post
    The 50/50 split figure came from a recent CAMH report, I believe. I'll see if I can find the exact report. And by all measures, I do believe that the physical violence and damage is much worse against women. Men tend to suffer more from emotional abuse, and less violent physical abuse. This is a generalized statement from mix of what I've read, and witnessed in my previous career.
    There have been some self-report studies done which seem to bear out something close to a 50-50 split. I don't have my Forensic Psych textbook handy but what Aaron is saying is accurate.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    thx. It just seems weird to try to count up "unreported" instances of anything. If they're not reported, how are you counting them?
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    thx. It just seems weird to try to count up "unreported" instances of anything. If they're not reported, how are you counting them?
    The studies I have seen involve people self-reporting to questions asked by researchers. For example, they will be asked if they have ever perpetrated or been victimized by choking, kicking, slapping, etc. Those are probably the best estimates of this problem that you will get but it does tend to consistently come out as being fairly equal in terms of gender (both in perpetrating and being victimized). The difference is that more serious abuse and damage is perpetrated on females. Don Dutton out of UBC, who is a world-renowned expert in this field, has conducted research on male victims of domestic abuse if you are interested. He has said that we are doing a disservice to this issue if we ignore domestic violence that is perpetrated on men by women. Of course, it isn't only in heterosexual relationships that we see such abuse either.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force