Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    The CFL is not in a position to fund a new stadium, and, just like any other league, the CFL won't expand unless it's a money-making proposition. And that won't happen until there is a committed local owner with a plan to build a stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    The CFL is not in a position to fund a new stadium, and, just like any other league, the CFL won't expand unless it's a money-making proposition. And that won't happen until there is a committed local owner with a plan to build a stadium.
    Yeah, I don't get it either, while there are very wealthy owners currently associated with the CFL, the League as a whole cannot justify putting in a large amount of money for a stadium in Halifax, it would set a precedent that couldn't be repeated. Aside from the NFL which receives a lot of taxpayer money + a $200 million loan from the league, is there any other league that provides stadium or arena money ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    And a stadium would cost minimum of $150M. Even if the league gave up a whole year's worth of TV revenue, i.e. around $40M, it would need investors/govt to kick in more than $100M. How could it be made to work economically?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    The 2 biggest things that im worried about with the new commish are,

1- Being an American, does he have the passion required for this job?
    2- Being from the CBC, does he have the work ethic, or does he just expect a huge paycheck for showing up?

The jury is out, so far he is a massive downgrade from Cohen, but this could change if he has a concrete plan for the CFL during his state of the union address at Grey Cup week. Until then i'll cut him some slack.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    The 2 biggest things that im worried about with the new commish are,

1- Being an American, does he have the passion required for this job?
    2- Being from the CBC, does he have the work ethic, or does he just expect a huge paycheck for showing up?

The jury is out, so far he is a massive downgrade from Cohen, but this could change if he has a concrete plan for the CFL during his state of the union address at Grey Cup week. Until then i'll cut him some slack.
    1- Its not like Cohon wasn't at all American.
    2- Its not like you just rise to a position like he's in without hard work. I'm not sure how great Orridge is or will be as a commissioner yet, but I'm pretty sure he didn't get to where he is, by being a slackey slacker CBC union worker, to which you are alluding. I'm pretty sure he has work ethic. How good his work is, is yet to be seen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    1- Its not like Cohon wasn't at all American.
    Moved to Toronto when he was 2 years old....That a Canadian to me.

Im not slamming Orridge, just nervous because i have seen no plan, and little passion. I want him to be the best commish ever and make the CFL florish. So far i have seen a plateau, or even a slight downturn in fortunes. Maybe its not his fault, but during the troubles he has been mostly invisible.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    And a stadium would cost minimum of $150M. Even if the league gave up a whole year's worth of TV revenue, i.e. around $40M, it would need investors/govt to kick in more than $100M. How could it be made to work economically?
    You have hit the nail on the head. The CFL cannot compete financial with any other professional league we follow in North America. Without the USA we are unable to generate enough TV revenue. 30 million vs. 300 million. Eastern Province's of Canada need to cough up the money much like how Tim Horton's Field and BMO was built. Otherwise it isn't going to happen. I would like to see every CFL team up with a University and utilize the same facility. More use of the facility and cross marketing could benefit all involved.

I think back to the USFL... generally their attendance figures could work well for the CFL but you still cannot pay the big name players. It is a shame that the CFL brand could not grow in the US much like the NFL is growing their brand across Europe etc.

I wish in the next 10 years the CFL added a team in Quebec City and one on the East Coast. That would be really great for the league and create some new interest.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    Eastern Province's of Canada need to cough up the money much like how Tim Horton's Field and BMO was built.
    The money for THF was available from govts only because the Pan Am Games were coming. Unless a similar event is awarded down east there is no chance, IMO, that govts there would cough up money towards a stadium. And there is no chance that more than one provincial govt would do it. Why would govt of New Brunswick contribute to a stadium built in Nova Scotia, or vice versa? Never happen in a million years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    You have hit the nail on the head. The CFL cannot compete financial with any other professional league we follow in North America. Without the USA we are unable to generate enough TV revenue. 30 million vs. 300 million. Eastern Province's of Canada need to cough up the money much like how Tim Horton's Field and BMO was built. Otherwise it isn't going to happen. I would like to see every CFL team up with a University and utilize the same facility. More use of the facility and cross marketing could benefit all involved.

I think back to the USFL... generally their attendance figures could work well for the CFL but you still cannot pay the big name players. It is a shame that the CFL brand could not grow in the US much like the NFL is growing their brand across Europe etc.

I used to prefer Quebec City over Maritimes and thought the Montreal / Quebec City natural rivalry could become the best one trumping the hatred of Toronto/Hamilton, but I was really disappointed in the cities total lack of support for the preseason game between Montreal and Ottawa this spring. I didn't get it. They pack the house for Laval games which is great, but where was the support for the CFL? I also figured that the Quebec govt would be more willing to build than the Maritime govts. They built an NHL arena with no promises from a league that abandoned them once already.

I wish in the next 10 years the CFL added a team in Quebec City and one on the East Coast. That would be really great for the league and create some new interest.
    I used to prefer Quebec City over Maritimes and thought the Montreal / Quebec City natural rivalry could become the best one trumping the hatred of Toronto/Hamilton, but I was really disappointed in the cities total lack of support for the preseason game between Montreal and Ottawa this spring. I didn't get it. They pack the house for Laval games which is great, but where was the support for the CFL? I also figured that the Quebec govt would be more willing to build than the Maritime govts. They built an NHL arena with no promises from a league that abandoned them once already.

I wish in the next 10 years the CFL added a team in Quebec City and one on the East Coast. That would be really great for the league and create some new interest.[/QUOTE]
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    This thread has actually taken a nice turn into what could be done about building a Stadium in the east coast. I really think the only hope of getting some funding for this stadium would be a justified conglomeration between potential owners of a CFL team, Municipal government in Halifax, Provincial Government in Nova Scotia and Federal Government of Canada along with St. Mary's University to redo an expanded Huskies Stadium.

I believe Huskies Stadium is on the property of St.Mary's University, one of the more predominant CIS football programs that used to annually host the Atlantic Bowl, now referred to as the Uteck Bowl, in front of decent crowds for the CIS. During the Chris Flynn years, the crowd reached upwards of 10-12 k with fans standing along the sidelines and end zones, that's how packed it was in those days.

I think you could justify grants from all branches of government or at least 2 if you can connect the stadium to community use within a University and a regional sport centre for the Maritimes, much like the Bombers have done in conjunction with the University of Manitoba. The stadium situation in Halifax took a hit when they backed out of applying for either the Summer Pan Am games that Toronto hosted or the Commonwealth games, which is a similar international sporting event for Countries in the Commonwealth. However an update of Huskies Stadium with expanded seating to 15-20,000 with possible expansion for special events that require a higher capacity like a CFL team or a Grey Cup would be wonderful for that part of the country.

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Moved to Toronto when he was 2 years old....That a Canadian to me.

Im not slamming Orridge, just nervous because i have seen no plan, and little passion. I want him to be the best commish ever and make the CFL florish. So far i have seen a plateau, or even a slight downturn in fortunes. Maybe its not his fault, but during the troubles he has been mostly invisible.
    I will be slamming ORRIDGE! What has this guy done since he took over?besides hanging out at the rum hut in Winnipeg! I am really worried to the cfl direction in the future with this guy in charge. How can a commish when listening to this guy you can see genuinely isn't a fan of the cfl or has any passion for this league. When this guys last cfl game he probably watched was when warren moon was playing? cfl the last two years quality of games has been the lowest it has been in decades do you really have faith in ORRIDGE to be able to fix that? Supposedly ORRIDGE who has not been seen this whole year by most cfl fans was in Ottawa last month commenting on how he doesn't want to name a 2017 grey cup host yet. Why wouldn't he name one why wait for the last minute like he did for next years grey cup in Toronto. Give the organizers a plan to host it enough time to give a world class event. Not something rushed like they have been doing with bone head moves like this year with ticket prices to grey cups. That is why we have something like only 20,000 tickets sold for the grey cup with a month away. ORRIDGE is an incompetent leader from all sides of things only thing this guy likes about his cfl commish job is his big salary he is collecting from the league for doing absolutely nothing! Does anyone know when his contract is up?

Another thing is this whole tsn screw job they are giving to its fans. Surprised and shocked last night in how tsn radio actually carried the Argo game over the raptors game on radio. Speaking of tsn radio Argos broadcaster are brutal Mike hogan and Jeff Johnson do such a bad job on the radio. I know those two guys are big cfl fans and supporters for this league but we need to put them on some other type of job then doing play by play for this team. Same as play by play announcers on tsn just brutal. TV coverage just brutal. Right now they don't even have the Calgary/sask game on there main network they showing some car race now instead. Tsn sucks they keep on trying to avoid the cfl as much as possible the last coup,e of years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I will be slamming ORRIDGE! What has this guy done since he took over?besides hanging out at the rum hut in Winnipeg! I am really worried to the cfl direction in the future with this guy in charge. How can a commish when listening to this guy you can see genuinely isn't a fan of the cfl or has any passion for this league. When this guys last cfl game he probably watched was when warren moon was playing? cfl the last two years quality of games has been the lowest it has been in decades do you really have faith in ORRIDGE to be able to fix that? Supposedly ORRIDGE who has not been seen this whole year by most cfl fans was in Ottawa last month commenting on how he doesn't want to name a 2017 grey cup host yet. Why wouldn't he name one why wait for the last minute like he did for next years grey cup in Toronto. Give the organizers a plan to host it enough time to give a world class event. Not something rushed like they have been doing with bone head moves like this year with ticket prices to grey cups. That is why we have something like only 20,000 tickets sold for the grey cup with a month away. ORRIDGE is an incompetent leader from all sides of things only thing this guy likes about his cfl commish job is his big salary he is collecting from the league for doing absolutely nothing! Does anyone know when his contract is up?

Another thing is this whole tsn screw job they are giving to its fans. Surprised and shocked last night in how tsn radio actually carried the Argo game over the raptors game on radio. Speaking of tsn radio Argos broadcaster are brutal Mike hogan and Jeff Johnson do such a bad job on the radio. I know those two guys are big cfl fans and supporters for this league but we need to put them on some other type of job then doing play by play for this team. Same as play by play announcers on tsn just brutal. TV coverage just brutal. Right now they don't even have the Calgary/sask game on there main network they showing some car race now instead. Tsn sucks they keep on trying to avoid the cfl as much as possible the last coup,e of years.
    Orridge hasn't done anything as of yet, the CFL missed the boat in not hiring Chris Rudge as Commisioner, he has marketing flair and impeccable business savvy!!😜

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Orridge hasn't done anything as of yet, the CFL missed the boat in not hiring Chris Rudge as Commisioner, he has marketing flair and impeccable business savvy!!
    Lol yeah I could so picture these two useless guys at the rum hut thinking how great it is to work for the cfl to do no work all year long and collect a pay cheque at the end each week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

You forgot to rage against the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy in your rant above.

Two words. Anger. Management.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    You forgot to rage against the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy in your rant above.

Two words. Anger. Management.
    Just trying to wake some people up around here! We allow these guys to continue with there nonsense especially here in Toronto we might not have anything to argue in a couple of years. To think we sit back and allow a guy like Jeffery orrigde to do nothing for the next few years while ratings on tv go down,attendance going down, awareness of cfl going down, endorsements going down, sponsors going down the actual watching of a cfl game going down. I realize leagues have there ups and downs but for what we have seen the last while from the cfl is not good. How on earth are we going to get people excited and wanting to buy tickets for the Argos at bmo when we have owners who think they have all the time in the world to turn this around with a quick snap of the finger and when level of play has went downhill. For me being a die hard cfl fan I just remember getting attached to this league in 1991 with McNall,candy,Gretzky,rocket and pinball. And after that all those amazing years of watching flutie,Garcia,ham,Allen etc..where there was so much excitement with watching a game you bring an outsider now to watch what is happening they would think it is high school level of play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Mmmmmm ..... I think Hogan and Johnson do a much better job calling the game then most of the the television crew ... and they are definitely not super homer/biased types that I have heard on the Ottawa , Montreal or Hamilton channels.

Can't agree with you at all on that one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    Mmmmmm ..... I think Hogan and Johnson do a much better job calling the game then most of the the television crew ... and they are definitely not super homer/biased types that I have heard on the Ottawa , Montreal or Hamilton channels.

Can't agree with you at all on that one.
    Rocket is the only person I have ever heard say something derogatory about the work of Mike Hogan. I have said it before, he should be on tv calling games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Rocket is the only person I have ever heard say something derogatory about the work of Mike Hogan. I have said it before, he should be on tv calling games.
    I agree Hogan should be on tv, but I don't want to lose him from the Argo games. JJ does a great job as well.
    Will I date myself if I also say I miss Pete Martin doing the games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    I agree Hogan should be on tv, but I don't want to lose him from the Argo games. JJ does a great job as well.
    Will I date myself if I also say I miss Pete Martin doing the games.
    I love hearing Pete Martin talk, but he was beyond irritating as a colour commentator. His constant moans in the booth when a bad play happened used to drive me nuts. They should have shut his mic until the play was over and it was his turn to talk.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Hey Rocket.....

I just want to know where "The Rum Hut" is, sounds like a fun place, seriously.