Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well, there's a reason they play the games.

They will have their work cut out for them, and I won't hold it against them if this year is a miss. Don't be surprised when the prognosticators agree that the Argos are possibly the worst team in the league....on paper. While it's true there are many holes and question marks on this team, it is also true that good recruiting and good fortune (with injuries) can make a huge difference.

I very much like some of the recruited receivers' game tapes. But, I usually do.

I still want improvement and questions answered but I'll obviously understand a pragmatic approach to team building and an overall winning program in Toronto.

Heading in the right direction -- is good enough for me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Nor am I. We have one of the best coaches in the modern history of the league, and a GM who took his team to the Grey Cup 10 times. To think they can't find some new talent and mold the talent we already have into a competitive team this year would be incredibly pessimistic. This is a league where turnarounds can happen quickly. We have two experienced QBs (including a future Hall of Famer), some strong Canadian players and a scattering of other guys who have shown they can play. Now Popp needs to work his contacts and the neg list to recruit some new guys who can also play, and take advantage of a buyer's market to pluck a few of the remaining free agents. I believe this team can not only contend but have a winning record in 2017. A lot of fans around the league who think we're a basket case are in for a big surprise.
    Hopefully we can also find a couple players that can contribute in the draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Popp alluded during his interview with McCown that they wouldn't have gotten Trestman if he was hired earlier.

There's 3+ months until our first preseason game. I'm not writing off making the playoffs in 2017 yet.
    I heard, but don't buy it. There hasn't been a clear reason why this is the case. Would Popp not have waited until now? Maybe, but we can't be sure of the alternate timeline. There's more too it, probably out of respect for the parties involved, they aren't talking.

No ones writing this season off. I would recommend to have realistic expectations and be pleasantly surprised than let down. Playoffs will be a challenge.

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Trestman may have been interviewed by NFL teams to be an OC or QB coach for upcoming season? I truly don't know but that's the only reason I can think of why he wouldn't have been available earlier.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Nor am I. We have one of the best coaches in the modern history of the league, and a GM who took his team to the Grey Cup 10 times. To think they can't find some new talent and mold the talent we already have into a competitive team this year would be incredibly pessimistic. This is a league where turnarounds can happen quickly. We have two experienced QBs (including a future Hall of Famer), some strong Canadian players and a scattering of other guys who have shown they can play. Now Popp needs to work his contacts and the neg list to recruit some new guys who can also play, and take advantage of a buyer's market to pluck a few of the remaining free agents. I believe this team can not only contend but have a winning record in 2017. A lot of fans around the league who think we're a basket case are in for a big surprise.
    I hope you are right. They will be better. The only way I can see them contend is if Ray plays at a HOF level (5,000 yds passing) and plays the entire season without injury. There are 3 other elite QBs playing in their division each capable of putting up those numbers.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Trestman may have been interviewed by NFL teams to be an OC or QB coach for upcoming season? I truly don't know but that's the only reason I can think of why he wouldn't have been available earlier.
    If not interviewed, he certainly could have been seeking new opportunities down south. Some coaching vacancies down there don't get filled until after the Super Bowl so he may have declared his availability only in the past three weeks or so.

BTW I am increasingly in agreement with the suggestion it may have been Tanenbaum et al who pushed for a pursuit of U.S.-based options. Copeland referred several times to the board and the owners, and while any exec will thank them and so on in a public forum, it seems fairly plausible that MC would have been comfortable sticking to candidates comfortable with the CFL. Now, it's also plausible that MC and Popp weren't good buds in the past. Regardless, we'll likely never know the full story, but we now have Popp and Trestman and I can't imagine we'd have come up with a better combo even if MC had looked only on this side of the border starting in November.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    BTW I am increasingly in agreement with the suggestion it may have been Tanenbaum et al who pushed for a pursuit of U.S.-based options. Copeland referred several times to the board and the owners, and while any exec will thank them and so on in a public forum, it seems fairly plausible that MC would have been comfortable sticking to candidates comfortable with the CFL. Now, it's also plausible that MC and Popp weren't good buds in the past. Regardless, we'll likely never know the full story, but we now have Popp and Trestman and I can't imagine we'd have come up with a better combo even if MC had looked only on this side of the border starting in November.
    Agreed. I brought up the same idea on twitter earlier. We really don't know how much of it was on Copeland and if he was just following orders from above to seek someone with an NFL background. But of course, Copeland is the easiest for fans to target. Being the face of the franchise and all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Agreed. I brought up the same idea on twitter earlier. We really don't know how much of it was on Copeland and if he was just following orders from above to seek someone with an NFL background. But of course, Copeland is the easiest for fans to target. Being the face of the franchise and all.
    Please add the fact that he is the CEO and President. Business 101 gentlemen. The buck always stops at the CEO's Office. He is very well compensated to lay out the vision, deliver on the vision and then be measured on the results. Owners own, CEO's deliver. CEO's that don't deliver are quite easily replaced by those who make the case they can deliver.

If an business implodes, where else would you start to look for accountability? You can't fire the owners.

Are the fans unreasonable to think otherwise?
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 03-02-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I hope you are right. They will be better. The only way I can see them contend is if Ray plays at a HOF level (5,000 yds passing) and plays the entire season without injury. There are 3 other elite QBs playing in their division each capable of putting up those numbers.
    The quarterbacks on those other teams can suffer injuries too. Collaros has had serious injuries every season in Hamilton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    The quarterbacks on those other teams can suffer injuries too. Collaros has had serious injuries every season in Hamilton.
    And there are 3 QBs in the west division also capable of putting up those numbers (Jennings, Reilly and Mitchell) with Winnipeg rejuvenated, and Saskatchewan in the mix the likelihood of crossover is very real. In order to contend they will need to make the playoffs and I think in order for the Argos to do that and any of the other teams their QBs will need to stay healthy and play at a high level. It's just that the other teams are all better constructed at present beyond the QB position versus the Argos. I do think they can win 3 more games and go 8-10, but that will not be good enough to make the playoffs. They likely struggle out of the gate and finish strong and push some other teams in the fall setting themselves up to be contenders in 2018.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    If not interviewed, he certainly could have been seeking new opportunities down south. Some coaching vacancies down there don't get filled until after the Super Bowl so he may have declared his availability only in the past three weeks or so.

" a better combo" meaning because they worked together in the past in Montreal and had success? Or because you believe the CFL should always recycle for GM and HC hires?

I like Trestman's demeanour and calm as a HC and he had good success with the Als on offence (in an often weak East though and with a vet, star QB); his recent NFL dismissals are another matter - maybe he's just cut out for the CFL game better.

Jimmy P the GM OTOH has put together some problem laden and mediocre to $hitty Als teams over the past number of seasons. No excuse for that IMO. I get that some think the problems were more because he took on the HC job (several times) - that's still on him; I also get that he took the Als to a bunch of GCs well in the past (again, emerging from a not so competitive East often) - and they also lost a bunch of those.

There are lots of other football people who could have been hired as Argo GM; if Popp was the only guy who could get Trestman here, I also get that the team was (seemed?) desperate and had to do something or hire somebody with CFL experience. Forgive me for not thinking the great Jimmy P is this awesome Argo football hire however - seen way too much clown-act GM behaviour out of the guy the past number of CFL seasons. Sorry bout that - guess that makes me a pessimist.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Please add the fact that he is the CEO and President. Business 101 gentlemen. The buck always stops at the CEO's Office. He is very well compensated to lay out the vision, deliver on the vision and then be measured on the results. Owners own, CEO's deliver. CEO's that don't deliver are quite easily replaced by those who make the case they can deliver.

If an business implodes, where else would you start to look for accountability? You can't fire the owners.

If Tanenbaum strongly suggested that Copeland look south of the border, what is Copeland to do? Copeland may have done a brilliant job in the end by bringing in a big NFL name in Trestman, thus satisfying Tanenbaum, who has a proven history in this league.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    And there are 3 QBs in the west division also capable of putting up those numbers (Jennings, Reilly and Mitchell) with Winnipeg rejuvenated, and Saskatchewan in the mix the likelihood of crossover is very real. In order to contend they will need to make the playoffs and I think in order for the Argos to do that and any of the other teams their QBs will need to stay healthy and play at a high level. It's just that the other teams are all better constructed at present beyond the QB position versus the Argos. I do think they can win 3 more games and go 8-10, but that will not be good enough to make the playoffs. They likely struggle out of the gate and finish strong and push some other teams in the fall setting themselves up to be contenders in 2018.
    I could see Winnipeg drop off this year, especially if Nichols can't duplicate last season's success. Saskatchewan seems to have done the same thing this off-season as they did last off-season - i.e., sign as many CFL free agents as possible and hope for the best. They are weaker at QB this year and, according to Arash Madani, are already in cap trouble.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    If Tanenbaum strongly suggested that Copeland look south of the border, what is Copeland to do? Copeland may have done a brilliant job in the end by bringing in a big NFL name in Trestman, thus satisfying Tanenbaum, who has a proven history in this league.
    ArgoRavi there are a lot of ifs in that statement. Pretty hard to base an argument with your conjecture.

And surely you wouldn't apply the word brilliant here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm not sure that Winnipeg can repeat last years success and outside of Edmonton does anyone really have a lot of quarterback depth?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post

I'm really not sure what point you are making here, but it should be self-evident that a CEO is answerable to a board of directors and ultimately to a company's owner. Any CEO who refused to do what an owner wanted would be hard-pressed to keep his job, If Tanenbaum (or Cope for that matter, or even Lastman) insisted that NFL names be explored, then Copeland had to either do that or lose his own job. Obviously this is all conjecture. But the buck does not stop at the CEO, it stops at the person who ultimately pays all the bucks.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    " a better combo" meaning because they worked together in the past in Montreal and had success? Or because you believe the CFL should always recycle for GM and HC hires?

I like Trestman's demeanour and calm as a HC and he had good success with the Als on offence (in an often weak East though and with a vet, star QB); his recent NFL dismissals are another matter - maybe he's just cut out for the CFL game better.

Jimmy P the GM OTOH has put together some problem laden and mediocre to $hitty Als teams over the past number of seasons. No excuse for that IMO. I get that some think the problems were more because he took on the HC job (several times) - that's still on him; I also get that he took the Als to a bunch of GCs well in the past (again, emerging from a not so competitive East often) - and they also lost a bunch of those.

There are lots of other football people who could have been hired as Argo GM; if Popp was the only guy who could get Trestman here, I also get that the team was (seemed?) desperate and had to do something or hire somebody with CFL experience. Forgive me for not thinking the great Jimmy P is this awesome Argo football hire however - seen way too much clown-act GM behaviour out of the guy the past number of CFL seasons. Sorry bout that - guess that makes me a pessimist.
    Yes, it seems it does. But then, most people in and around the CFL (and this forum) are clowns in your eyes.

Popp and Trestman have had considerable success in this league. I know of no other GM candidate who's been to 10 Grey Cups, and no other coaching candidate who's won two Grey Cups in five years. If you want to dump on the Argos for choosing them over unknowns, or non-GOBs, be my guest. I'm happy we have two guys who have proven they can win in this league. As for Popp having "no excuse" for putting together bad teams, who (apart from Hufnagel) in this league has not put together some bad teams as GM? Even your beloved Desjardins was terrible in Hamilton. Buono has been mostly successful over the years but has also had mediocre to bad teams on his watch. And yeah, I know, they're all GOBs so not worthy of wasting speculation on anyway.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I have to admit, I was really pissed at Copeland when he fired Barker. Having said that, I really wish that some people would stop acting as if they know everything that happened. We don't know whether Copeland made the call, or whether ownership made the call. Some are on here calling Copeland a blatant liar, when they really have no clue. As I kept saying when all the doom and gloom people were letting loose, it's a long way until the season starts. Really funny to see the reactions of so many.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Yes, it seems it does. But then, most people in and around the CFL (and this forum) are clowns in your eyes.

Popp and Trestman have had considerable success in this league. I know of no other GM candidate who's been to 10 Grey Cups, and no other coaching candidate who's won two Grey Cups in five years. If you want to dump on the Argos for choosing them over unknowns, or non-GOBs, be my guest. I'm happy we have two guys who have proven they can win in this league. As for Popp having "no excuse" for putting together bad teams, who (apart from Hufnagel) in this league has not put together some bad teams as GM? Even your beloved Desjardins was terrible in Hamilton. Buono has been mostly successful over the years but has also had mediocre to bad teams on his watch. And yeah, I know, they're all GOBs so not worthy of wasting speculation on anyway.

The Argo GOB / wonderful ownership team shill has spoken. Beauty. Everybody bow down and get with the program please.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    You were wise to surrender, OV.