Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Although late, this is for you Argo57….I would like to take this opportunity to thank Chris Jones for his contributions to the Toronto Argonauts Football Team and wish him well in his future endeavours.
    You always add a touch of class to these proceedings.👍
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I would go a different direction for our new GM job.
    Duane Forde who has been a great TSN on air commentator and who did apply for the RB position, but then taken his name off in the last moment.
    Very knowledgeable and has covered the CFL and University leagues here probably like no other.
    With Pinball as his boss and frankly moving up to the president's position, Forde would be a sure fit going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I would have no problem with Forde either.
    I would love to understand your rationale for thinking Duane Ford would be a sure fit as GM. Don't get me wrong, he is probably my favourite CFL analyst/broadcaster and his knowledge of the game is undeniable. But it is a big stretch to go from sitting up in the booth commenting on the game to sitting in the big chair calling all the shots for a team. Has he had ANY experience in football operations? If the Argos were on more solid footing, this might not be an issue. I just think that it would be taking too big a risk with a team struggling in this market to hand it all to someone without experience. I would be interested to hear your comments.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I would love to understand your rationale for thinking Duane Ford would be a sure fit as GM. Don't get me wrong, he is probably my favourite CFL analyst/broadcaster and his knowledge of the game is undeniable. But it is a big stretch to go from sitting up in the booth commenting on the game to sitting in the big chair calling all the shots for a team. Has he had ANY experience in football operations? If the Argos were on more solid footing, this might not be an issue. I just think that it would be taking too big a risk with a team struggling in this market to hand it all to someone without experience. I would be interested to hear your comments.
    Nobody is more in touch with Canadian amateur talent than him. Americans can be found easily, but recognizing quality Canadians, especially in the draft is huge. You can always pick up good Canadians in free agency, but that will cost you more. Hiring good American scouts with contacts south of the border is also important, but to me, a much easier job seeing how big the talent pool is.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    A couple of possible candidates re-sign with the Bombers.

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/23/t...danny-mcmanus/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Nobody is more in touch with Canadian amateur talent than him. Americans can be found easily, but recognizing quality Canadians, especially in the draft is huge. You can always pick up good Canadians in free agency, but that will cost you more. Hiring good American scouts with contacts south of the border is also important, but to me, a much easier job seeing how big the talent pool is.
    But, if Vince Magri is already doing a fine job of identifying and bringing in Canadian talent then wouldn't a hire of Forde leave the US side ignored?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    But, if Vince Magri is already doing a fine job of identifying and bringing in Canadian talent then wouldn't a hire of Forde leave the US side ignored?
    I think it's pretty clear that Magri is an ace on the NAT side of the equation. The GM (or whatever they call Murphy's successor) does indeed need to be able to find and sign U.S. talent as well, and to effectively negotiate contracts with vets and free agents. I agree Forde is best suited for a role we are already well equipped for, but if Magri were to be moved up to GM maybe he'd want Forde as his NAT personnel guy.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I think it's pretty clear that Magri is an ace on the NAT side of the equation. The GM (or whatever they call Murphy's successor) does indeed need to be able to find and sign U.S. talent as well, and to effectively negotiate contracts with vets and free agents. I agree Forde is best suited for a role we are already well equipped for, but if Magri were to be moved up to GM maybe he'd want Forde as his NAT personnel guy.
    Exactly my thoughts Paul. If they deem Magri ready to take on Murphy's job of Director of player personnel (De Facto GM), then Forde would be a great hire to replace Magri in his current role. I would love to see 2 qualified Canadians running the player personnel side of the Argos. If Forde has aspirations to one day be a GM in the league, this would be a great first step for him.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    If MLSE finally wakes up and recognizes the Argos presently have a non involved president and solve the problem by appointing Pinball to the position, then the team could have a couple of vacancies. I would like to see Forde as GM and Magri as Director of Player Personal. Forde has an extensive background with the CFL. He played in the league for 12 years, created and ran the very successful National Invitational Combine and is very knowledgeable of the present and the potentially future CFL players. Forde and Magi could support and complement each other.

My major concern is MLSE either not recognizing or accepting the need for a change at the president level. Do they really care?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    If MLSE finally wakes up and recognizes the Argos presently have a non involved president and solve the problem by appointing Pinball to the position, then the team could have a couple of vacancies. I would like to see Forde as GM and Magri as Director of Player Personal. Forde has an extensive background with the CFL. He played in the league for 12 years, created and ran the very successful National Invitational Combine and is very knowledgeable of the present and the potentially future CFL players. Forde and Magi could support and complement each other.

My major concern is MLSE either not recognizing or accepting the need for a change at the president level. Do they really care?
    I'm in favour of making Pinball president, but I would not hand the GM reins to someone who has not worked in a football org for years (if ever). The GM has to recruit on both sides of the border, and negotiate contracts effectively. IMO Forde's only proven area of expertise is Cdn talent, and it would be hard to top what we already have there in Magri, whose past three drafts have been fantastic. If Magri ends up as GM, that would be fine with me.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm in favour of making Pinball president, but I would not hand the GM reins to someone who has not worked in a football org for years (if ever). The GM has to recruit on both sides of the border, and negotiate contracts effectively. IMO Forde's only proven area of expertise is Cdn talent, and it would be hard to top what we already have there in Magri, whose past three drafts have been fantastic. If Magri ends up as GM, that would be fine with me.
    Agreed with Paul completely.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Duane Forde may have tons of CFL/ Canadian football experience and knowledge, but he hasn't put in the time yet as an underling in the CFL system to get consideration for a key job without that all important GOB understanding/experience.

A guy like Devone Claybrooks was a player with a small amount of CFL experience, and very limited amount of CFL coaching experience before soon getting a DC, then HC gig. Hung around his team right after his playing career = who you know, plus had the right passport.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

This approach doesn’t surprise me, in many ways nice to see someone like Magri who has put in the time and effort with the Argonauts move up the ladder.
    Also an easy way for MLSE to minimize additional costs in the football operations department which I suspect is a major factor.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    [FONT="] [/FONT]
    So Farhan got the Ticats partly wrong -- they have hired Ed Hervey as one of three assistant GMs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    So Farhan got the Ticats partly wrong -- they have hired Ed Hervey as one of three assistant GMs.
    Three assistant GM’s, no GM, Coach is also the President. Man, I’m confused who does what, I guess its all BS anyway. In fact, that’s all we ever hear from organizations. Coach gets a huge raise to also be President, but na, there was no chance of any work down South. Right.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Three assistant GM’s, no GM, Coach is also the President. Man, I’m confused who does what, I guess its all BS anyway. In fact, that’s all we ever hear from organizations. Coach gets a huge raise to also be President, but na, there was no chance of any work down South. Right.
    This is common in the NFL where the coach is the main guys and he hires the personnel guys who often are GM in name only.

Boatman
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    https://3downnation.com/2022/01/01/e...ackson-report/

Can't say I'm surprised by this news. Argos are in the market for an entirely new coaching staff with their OC, Qb and recievers coach.

Wonder if we poach some more from Calgary or does some of the old guard ala Chapdelaine make an appearance?

Is the Coaching salary cap up for negotiation with the new CBA ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilz View Post
    https://3downnation.com/2022/01/01/e...ackson-report/

Can't say I'm surprised by this news. Argos are in the market for an entirely new coaching staff with their OC, Qb and recievers coach.

Wonder if we poach some more from Calgary or does some of the old guard ala Chapdelaine make an appearance?

Is the Coaching salary cap up for negotiation with the new CBA ?
    Coaching cap has nothing to do with the CBA. That’s strictly players association vs the league. Coaches aren’t part of any union or association, so that can be changed anytime the league sees fit or necessary.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    No shock that Jones will lean on his old buddies to fill his staff in Edmonton just a shame they all happened to be on the current Argos coaching staff.
    Hard to build a consistent winning program when constantly rebuilding both the roster and coaching staff, on the flip side it keeps things interesting (I guess).🤷🏻*♂️
    McAdoo is a much better OL coach than OC, Howell did a good job with the receivers in 2021, Jackson leaving really doesn’t concern me one way or the other.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I hope I don't have to keep adding titles to this thread