Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Really? I hope you are on payroll cos you sound like a giant excuse maker to me. And consistent. Tell me now, how many franchises in any pro sport don't know the location of training camp going into TC with 2 weeks to spare? Not too many I am betting. It's remarkable. That's why the remark was made.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I have a hard time caring about this, but not having announced the TC location is pretty different from not knowing the TC location.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well, wherever they go, I'm sure its whats best for the players and coaches. Last I heard, training camp is for the players and coaches. The Argos are a professional football team, not a youth team where we have to drive our kids to wherever the camp is held. And trust me, I would love to continue to visit practice as much as the next person.
    Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 05-14-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Well, wherever they go, I'm sure its whats best for the players and coaches. Last I heard, training camp is for the players and coaches. The Argos a professional football team, not a youth team where we have drive our kids to wherever the camp is held. And trust me, I would love to continue to visit practice as much as the next person.
    I'm with you on this Gabe. In the eyes of many, the Argos can do no wrong (Me), but it seems to be increasing amount of people on here were the Argos can do no right.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Tell me now, how many franchises in any pro sport don't know the location of training camp going into TC with 2 weeks to spare?
    None. The Argos definitely know the location of training camp -- it would be impossible to manage the logistics if they didn't. They just haven't told fans. And unlike players and coaches, fans don't actually need to know just yet.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    For what it's worth (and I realize this isn't "official"), I got the impression that York university was decided upon as the training camp location at the open mic session I attended (which was after the first one that was held for this forum). The session was almost two weeks ago now. Only York U was named, no mention of a different location.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    With all due respect, an organization that feels its fans don't actually need to know pertinent information, is an organization that does not understand the importance of cultivating a connection with its present and potential future fans. This organization is facing the challenge of being relevant in this market. Not publicizing details of the Open House until 2 working days before the event or failing to broadcast the information about the location of the rookie camp 10 days hence, are not, in themselves, major issues but is indicative of a failing of the admin, to comprehend the necessity of reaching out to the community, so information can excite the fans' interest.

For the Argos to be a relevant player in this market, besides a having winning team; the organization must have superlative administrative leadership, outstanding media savvy and exemplary communication with the community. Evidence to date makes one question if those qualities are present in the organization.

On a positive note, York would be an excellent location for the Training Camp. It certainly makes it easier for media types to be present and would entice more fans to enjoy the experience. Anything that raises the profile level of the team, can only help the team's image and lead to more interest in the team.

There is no question of the loyalty and even love of the team, shown by those that post on this site. We may disagree on some issues but it is abundantly clear that we all have, as a bottom line, the best interests of the team at heart. Hopefully, this will be a wonderful winning season and the stadium will see good crowds for all games. Even with my reservations about the team's admin, I believe the Argos can become again a relevant institution in this community.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    With all due respect, an organization that feels its fans don't actually need to know pertinent information, is an organization that does not understand the importance of cultivating a connection with its present and potential future fans. This organization is facing the challenge of being relevant in this market. Not publicizing details of the Open House until 2 working days before the event or failing to broadcast the information about the location of the rookie camp 10 days hence, are not, in themselves, major issues but is indicative of a failing of the admin, to comprehend the necessity of reaching out to the community, so information can excite the fans' interest.

For the Argos to be a relevant player in this market, besides a having winning team; the organization must have superlative administrative leadership, outstanding media savvy and exemplary communication with the community. Evidence to date makes one question if those qualities are present in the organization.

On a positive note, York would be an excellent location for the Training Camp. It certainly makes it easier for media types to be present and would entice more fans to enjoy the experience. Anything that raises the profile level of the team, can only help the team's image and lead to more interest in the team.

There is no question of the loyalty and even love of the team, shown by those that post on this site. We may disagree on some issues but it is abundantly clear that we all have, as a bottom line, the best interests of the team at heart. Hopefully, this will be a wonderful winning season and the stadium will see good crowds for all games. Even with my reservations about the team's admin, I believe the Argos can become again a relevant institution in this community.

Ah, someone who understands the big picture. Very well written and I could not agree more. Cracking on fans for not living up to the doctrine on a fan site, with 12 old guys seems (me included) seems rather ironic and almost hysterical. Of course we care. Jeebus martha. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to sleep with double blue pom-poms and be a card carrying lemming. LOL. Nice read here Shatto, and I too am looking forward to the new season and new administration. They have made sense -- in a very short period of time. Argo fans are very fortunate that this all worked out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The word that keeps coming up with the marketing of the Argos is "excuses". We can't or didn't because of the late start, or the other Toronto teams successes, or you fill in the blanks. Let's stop this data collection phase and get down to the business of running a franchise. Goodness know we are surrounded by successfully run franchises.

I assume Fan Day 2017 is up in the air. Logistically, it would have to be held in 19 days. When would that promotion begin?

How can hyping training camp and Fan Day be considered the wrong thing. When I was young we didn't sign just a receiver. We signed the 'One and only' - Eric "The Flea" Allen. And boy did we hear about his exploits. When Stillwagon and Anderson were signed, we heard about Buckeyes trio that included Jack Tatum. We were dying for training camp to open and get a flood of Argos info.

Promotion served The Ringling Broyhers well four 100 years. Isn't this entertainment we're talking about?

Jim Popp gets it. He just better have the freedom to do what he does best. Excuses time is over. The Argos had better start communicating to their market. If they don't, we'll find someone who will.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-15-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Some of us are more confident in the current administration than others. I don't think that either side may claim that the other is simply a fringe element.

As for the training camp location, I had heard York a few weeks ago, but was unaware as to whether the information was sensitive in anyway so I didn't report it here. The fact that it hasn't officially been reported doesn't mean it hasn't been confirmed for sometime internally.

I don't think it would've hurt to have sent out a press release.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    So who's coming to the Town Hall?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    I'll be there.

Anyone know how parking will be? I've never been down there on non-game days (for any team there).

Would the lot to the east of BMO be accessible?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Looking forward to hearing from Jim Popp and Marc Trestman.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post

Well said.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    I'll be there.

Anyone know how parking will be? I've never been down there on non-game days (for any team there).

If traffic cooperates we'll be there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Promotion served The Ringling Broyhers well four 100 years. Isn't this entertainment we're talking about?
    Um, I'd pick a different example. Ringling Brothers Circus is folding this month after 146 years.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Um, I'd pick a different example. Ringling Brothers Circus is folding this month after 146 years.
    Point taken.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    I'll be there.

The e-mail the Argos sent out did suggest the parking lot to the east of BMO. They also mentioned the one that is N-NW of the building we will be in tomorrow.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    The e-mail the Argos sent out did suggest the parking lot to the east of BMO. They also mentioned the one that is N-NW of the building we will be in tomorrow.
    The Queen Elizabeth Building is located west of BMO Field. There is a parking lot located right behind the theatre on the west side Manitoba Drive. About 20 yards from the entrance.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Que...!4d-79.4213438

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    When I was young we didn't sign just a receiver. We signed the 'One and only' - Eric "The Flea" Allen. And boy did we hear about his exploits. When Stillwagon and Anderson were signed, we heard about Buckeyes trio that included Jack Tatum. We were dying for training camp to open and get a flood of Argos info.
    Those were exciting days, but what did those big signings really do for the Argos on the field? One good team in 71 and an embarrassing overtime playoff collapse in 73. 1970 was a decent team, but the rest of the decade was disappointing at best.

In the 80s, the last decade before CFL and NFL salaries really separated themselves, the Argos had few if any high-profile NFL or NCAA signings (does Dan Manucci count?). We saw seven playoff appearances and three Grey Cups, and you could argue 80 and 81 were really an extension of the 70s.