View Poll Results: Where should the new Argonauts Stadium be located?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richmond Hill

3 5.26%
  • Markham

3 5.26%
  • Vaughan

7 12.28%
  • Woodbine Racetrack

4 7.02%
  • York University

2 3.51%
  • Downsview

13 22.81%
  • BMO Field

19 33.33%
  • Other

6 10.53%
Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Can't remember where I read it, but it said something like most Wikipedia "vandalism" was corrected within four minutes.

Remember, Wikipedia has checks and balances for writing to it. I even corrected something once.

I was reading the entry on the Toronto Maple Leafs and some clown changed the names of The Kid Line to Chen Lee, Kwang Ho and Kam Lo (making names up, can't remember what they were exactly) I figured out how to make a correction and went and fixed it.

It's been so long, but IIRC it logs people's IP addresses so they have an idea of who is vandalizing and who is correcting, so vandalism is kept to a minimum. In fact, I don't recall seeing anything glaringly wrong since (not to say that doesn't happen).

To me the strength of Wikipedia are the links at the bottom of the entry that lead to a more first hand source of info.
    Last edited by rdavies; 11-12-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Yeah, it's amazing we haven't had much traffic on this topic lately. So get ready for a year or so of speculation.

In (slightly) related news, someone on riderfans has noted that Raptors play at home at 1 o'clock on Nov. 17, and speculated the Eastern Final might be moved to prime time. Speaking personally I would be in favour of that. I'd hate waiting all day for it to start, but the buzz created by a prime-time game would be cool, IMO. I thought the atmosphere and buzz were amazing at the 2004 Eastern Semifinal although a lot of that was likely due to its Friday night time slot.
    I believe I was the one that made the specualtion but I was told by Lyle E. Style that , and I quote, 'Early season Craptors aren't a big draw'.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Problem is that relief line is probably at least ten years away. They haven't even started an Environmental Assessment. Ford and Miller both screwed the city by ignoring this project.

Couldn't they add a GO station somewhere between Cherry Street and the Don?
    Well the rail line runs right along there, I suppose they could, it's probably a similar distance away from Union that the Ex stop is.

As for the infrastructure, sure there's a lot that needs to happen for the Portlands but not much more than if they put the stadium up in Boonerville like some suggest. Putting the team way up there would be suicide, the Argos would become the next Toronto Lynx.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    How about the RAPTORS switching their time ? This is a very important play-off game , not JUST a game a couple of weeks into the schedule !

I was about to suggest the Portlands ; clearly the big plans that were once pegged for there are gathering dust .

BTW , this subway relief has been bandied about since the late '60's ; so we shouldn't count on that .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Well the rail line runs right along there, I suppose they could, it's probably a similar distance away from Union that the Ex stop is.

As for the infrastructure, sure there's a lot that needs to happen for the Portlands but not much more than if they put the stadium up in Boonerville like some suggest. Putting the team way up there would be suicide, the Argos would become the next Toronto Lynx.
    Most of the Argonauts fans are from the 905 and Vaughan has highways and a TTC Subway stop.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyice View Post
    BTW , this subway relief has been bandied about since the late '60's ; so we shouldn't count on that .
    Difference is Toronto Council has definitively declared it the city's next major transit priority. So it'll happen when funding is secured.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Difference is Toronto Council has definitively declared it the city's next major transit priority. So it'll happen when funding is secured.
    So best case scenario is that it's a decade away. Vaughan TTC Subway has already completed all tunneling and will open within 2 years.

Plus the relief line isn't necessarily the next line to get built. Tim Hudak says that he wants to build the relief line and the Richmond Hill extension. Who knows which one will get built first.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/po...service=mobile

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Funny on Ticketmaster, you have to search for this game, and then when you find it, there is a comment about limited tickets left, however it's not posted under HOT Ticket, that section is reserved for the Raptors, Marles, and the NFL game in Toronto. I would think, MLSE and Rogers pay to have that placement up front on Zticketmaster

New Fan
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Level
    As a resident of Pickering, I think our city should be considered. There is tons of room near the newly renovated GO station (where the large secondary parking lot is which the city is planning to remove for "growth"), that is 30 minutes from downtown on the express Lakeshore East line (40 minutes non-express). This area is also literally right off the 401 (making it a 20-30 minute drive for anyone in Toronto that lives near the 401). It would also be relatively easy to build a 401 off ramp right at the location. For anyone who is unfamiliar with the area, use Google Maps to check the travel time to the intersection of Liverpool and Bayly. I bet it's not that long of a time. The location would be very easily accessible for anyone near the Lakeshore GO line or the 401, which is a very large portion of people. It would also be able to draw on Durham Region's 500k+ population, the northern suburbs of Markham, Richmond Hill and Vaughan, and would undoubtedly draw people from as far east as Peterborough. I'd argue that the western side of the Toronto, and Mississauga, are too close to Hamilton as well.

Just another idea to consider.

Edit: What the area looks like right now: https://maps.google.ca/?ll=43.833575...12,233.52,,0,0. The other side of that dead end is the 401.
    Last edited by ArgosFanEastSide; 11-19-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    That would be great for me but I expect a new Stadium will be more central. Either BMO or more north central.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgosFanEastSide View Post
    I'd argue that the western side of the Toronto, and Mississauga, are too close to Hamilton as well.
    So the Argos should abandon fans in those regions? We should all become Ticat fans?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    As a resident of Pickering, I think our city should be considered. There is tons of room near the newly renovated GO station (where the large secondary parking lot is which the city is planning to remove for "growth"), that is 30 minutes from downtown on the express Lakeshore East line (40 minutes non-express). This area is also literally right off the 401 (making it a 20-30 minute drive for anyone in Toronto that lives near the 401). It would also be relatively easy to build a 401 off ramp right at the location. For anyone who is unfamiliar with the area, use Google Maps to check the travel time to the intersection of Liverpool and Bayly. I bet it's not that long of a time. The location would be very easily accessible for anyone near the Lakeshore GO line or the 401, which is a very large portion of people. It would also be able to draw on Durham Region's 500k+ population, the northern suburbs of Markham, Richmond Hill and Vaughan, and would undoubtedly draw people from as far east as Peterborough. I'd argue that the western side of the Toronto, and Mississauga, are too close to Hamilton as well.

Just another idea to consider.

Edit: What the area looks like right now: https://maps.google.ca/?ll=43.833575...12,233.52,,0,0. The other side of that dead end is the 401.
    Sure if all the games are on Saturday or Sunday. On a weekday during the afternoon rush hours triple it.

The 401 through Toronto is the busiest stretch of highway in all of North America.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I laugh anytime anyone proposes the stadium be located in their backyard.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

New Fan

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    So the Argos should abandon fans in those regions? We should all become Ticat fans?
    I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. Rather, that the suburbs west of Toronto/Mississauga are more likely to be Tiger-cats fans than those on the eastern side. Taking the GO train from south Mississauga/Etobicoke, or taking the 401 from the north to Pickering would not be too long of a trip on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Sure if all the games are on Saturday or Sunday. On a weekday during the afternoon rush hours triple it.

The 401 through Toronto is the busiest stretch of highway in all of North America.
    I don't see any reason why all of their games couldn't be played on Saturdays and Sundays. I'm sure a significant factor in why they play on weekdays is because they are in the Rogers Center. If we're making the assumption that they are going to start many of their games during rush hour on weekdays, I think you can write off any area outside of downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I laugh anytime anyone proposes the stadium be located in their backyard.
    I'm not sure why. People who live in the area are much more likely to know fine details relating to it. I never said any other ideas weren't better, I was simply suggesting a new location that no one else had discussed.
    Last edited by ArgosFanEastSide; 11-20-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. Rather, that the suburbs west of Toronto/Mississauga are more likely to be Tiger-cats fans than those on the eastern side. Taking the GO train from south Mississauga/Etobicoke, or taking the 401 from the north to Pickering would not be too long of a trip on the weekends.

I don't see any reason why all of their games couldn't be played on Saturdays and Sundays. I'm sure a significant factor in why they play on weekdays is because they are in the Rogers Center. If we're making the assumption that they are going to start many of their games during rush hour on weekdays, I think you can write off any area outside of downtown.

I'm not sure why. People who live in the area are much more likely to know fine details relating to it. I never said any other ideas weren't better, I was simply suggesting a new location that no one else had discussed.
    TSN Friday Night Football?

Vaughan, Downsview and eventually Richmond Hill will all be accessible via TTC Subway. They're already accessible via GO Train and Bus / High Speed Bus and aside from Downsview they have better highway access and are in Toronto or closer to Toronto.
    Last edited by Neely2005; 11-20-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    For fans from the west or east end a new stadium has to be at BMO for the GO Train or Downsview or Vaughan so people could drive. People in downtown TO could get there by subway. If they do go to the north central, I would want to see a good sized parking lot so I could drive. Wouldn't make sense to get on the GO for 55 minutes to Union and then have to jump on the subway to go north for another 50 minutes. I could drive in probably 30 minutes max.

New Fan

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    TSN Friday Night Football?

Vaughan, Downsview and eventually Richmond Hill will all be accessible via TTC Subway. They're already accessible via GO Train and Bus / High Speed Bus and aside from Downsview they have better highway access and are in Toronto or closer to Toronto.
    Friday Night Football is just a title, it could literally instantly be changed to TSN Saturday Night Football.

I can think of equal negatives to all of those locations. None of them are along the GO Lakeshore line, which is how a very significant amount of Argos fans currently get to the games. Getting to those locations during rush hour (if you're sticking to the weekday games argument) for anyone driving would be just as awful.

In the end, none of the locations are perfect. Someone is always going to disagree with the decision, and yet I think any of those locations would do well. I just believe that Pickering would work just as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Friday Night Football is just a title, it could literally instantly be changed to TSN Saturday Night Football.
    There is no way TSN would eliminate the brand equity it has built up with FNF, and in any event the network is always going to need multiple days to show games. Fridays will always be part of that. I suppose the Argos could be exempted from hosting games on Fridays (as Montreal seems to be because of its agreement with McGill) but I can't see the other teams agreeing to let Toronto have only weekend home dates while everyone else has to do Fridays and some Thursdays. Montreal has home games on Thursdays as well as weekend days.

I can think of equal negatives to all of those locations. None of them are along the GO Lakeshore line, which is how a very significant amount of Argos fans currently get to the games. Getting to those locations during rush hour (if you're sticking to the weekday games argument) for anyone driving would be just as awful.

In the end, none of the locations are perfect. Someone is always going to disagree with the decision, and yet I think any of those locations would do well. I just believe that Pickering would work just as well.
    You are right that there are a lot of fans on the Lakeshore Go line, and that there is no location that will make everyone happy. The Argos' challenge is to choose a location that minimizes the erosion of existing fans and maximizes the influx of new fans. I have a hard time seeing how a stadium at either far extreme of the Lakeshore line (i.e. in Pickering or Burlington) would achieve that goal.

I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. Rather, that the suburbs west of Toronto/Mississauga are more likely to be Tiger-cats fans than those on the eastern side.
    Yes, the western suburbs are more likely to be Ticats fans than Argo fans, but it's a pretty meaningless statistic. My perception is that there are very few Ticat fans in Mississauga, a few more (but still a small number) in Oakville, and relatively equal support for both teams in Burlington. There may be no Ticat fans whatsoever in Oshawa/Whitby/Pickering, which would make the "more likely" statement true, but if there is one Ticat fan in Mississauga and none in Pickering, that doesn't make it worth abandoning the comparatively much larger group of Argo fans in Mississauga.

New Fan
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Level
    I don't agree BMO Field is the best option for the Argos. BMO Field is a soccer specific facility and should be left as is (besides the FC fans are objecting the idea already). What the Argos need is a 25,000-30,000 seat facility built somewhere accessible by transit. York University maybe?