Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Without doing much looking into this, how rich is this ownership group?

I would think you'd have to be wealthy enough to sustain losing roughly $5 million for 3-4 years if things went to shit after the first year, which would obviously be wildly popular and financially successful.

But if the team sucks in year 3 and attendance drops to 8K a game, can these guys handle the financial bleeding?

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Without doing much looking into this, how rich is this ownership group?
    I would say no one in the general public knows for sure. Because of some of the shenanigans in Phoenix, I was inclined to underestimate them. But two factors have assuaged me somewhat: one that they have been endorsed by someone who should be knowledgeable of their wealth, Ambrosie and two they would have had to have met a 60 some million dollar payroll in Phoenix. Running a hockey team is a far larger financial reach than a CFL club. Do I wish they could bring in another big player, yes, but all I've read so far is that they are quietly working behind the scenes getting things done before they are presented to the public.

Everything I have read about the group so far is that they have been diligent and serious in their efforts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    I would say no one in the general public knows for sure. Because of some of the shenanigans in Phoenix, I was inclined to underestimate them. But two factors have assuaged me somewhat: one that they have been endorsed by someone who should be knowledgeable of their wealth, Ambrosie and two they would have had to have met a 60 some million dollar payroll in Phoenix. Running a hockey team is a far larger financial reach than a CFL club. Do I wish they could bring in another big player, yes, but all I've read so far is that they are quietly working behind the scenes getting things done before they are presented to the public.

Everything I have read about the group so far is that they have been diligent and serious in their efforts.
    Interesting. Good to know.

Also, is there any talk about going cheaper on a stadium like Hamilton did? I would assume it would be possible to get something respectable for $140-ish million instead of having to go over $200 million like the Riders.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Also, is there any talk about going cheaper on a stadium like Hamilton did? I would assume it would be possible to get something respectable for $140-ish million instead of having to go over $200 million like the Riders.
    City council was shown a render of a stadium but how close to a realistic model or how much that would cost are unknown. Really one of the few things made public is a desire to follow the Ottawa model which concerning the stadium holds no relevance at all as Ottawa had something already to work with and the refurb (including the arena) may not have cost over 120 million. That has been a very difficult number to track down from day one and I am going on memory from years ago and a post I made with some rare info.

The Regina stadium BTW was closer to 300 million (it started at 280 IIRC). Also the 145 million dollar number people use for THF originally included a 25 million contingency fund. Had it been done on budget it should have been 120 million, I am not sure what the final cost ended up being.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Potential CFL team owners working behind the scenes to bring franchise to Halifax
    CTV Atlantic atlantic.ctvnews.ca Friday, January 26, 2018

The group that's working to bring a CFL franchise to Halifax appears to be playing the long game.

The potential owners are working behind the scenes to line up funding, sponsorship, a name, and a stadium – all in time for kickoff in 2020 or 2021.

“We're going to spend some time talking with the city, with the province, and even starting conversations with some local organizations that have indicated that they have a desire to talk about a sponsorship,” says Anthony LeBlanc, who is leading the effort.

The potential franchise doesn't have a name, but the group owns the Atlantic Schooners trademark.

“We just saw that there is an awful lot of excitement around that name,” says LeBlanc. “I'm not sitting here today saying that is going to be the name, but we felt that it certainly had a lot of strong potential.”

They also don't have a home, and that's been a major hurdle dating back to the 1980s. Even then, governments have been unwilling to commit large amounts of public money.

"It has to be a large development like you see in other markets like Ottawa, where you see restaurants and mixed use retail and even residential,” LeBlanc says.

As the group hones in on a stadium location, it's also working on economic impact analysis. LeBlanc is pushing for more private investment than other stadiums in Regina, Winnipeg and Ottawa.

“We know that the onus is on us to put together a plan that works for everyone, including and most importantly taxpayers,” he says.

The group hasn't asked the province or municipality for money yet. Both say there are options aside from a direct investment.

“If they can do it where we pay for our contribution through potential future revenues that might not have existed otherwise, then that's a big win for the community,” says Halifax Mayor Mike Savage.

“Ours would have to be, whether it's a payroll remittance or something of that nature,” says Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil.

In the meantime, the ownership group will test the waters in public. A "name the team" contest is likely coming soon, along with a season ticket drive. LeBlanc is aiming for 10,000 fans to buy in in anticipation of the first East Coast kickoff.

With files from CTV Atlantic’s Sarah Ritchie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    The Regina stadium BTW was closer to 300 million (it started at 280 IIRC). Also the 145 million dollar number people use for THF originally included a 25 million contingency fund. Had it been done on budget it should have been 120 million, I am not sure what the final cost ended up being.
    Hard to believe, but the final cost is TBD, it's still in the courts. Stadium is not complete (mostly deficiencies). The legal issues are also preventing Hamilton from hosting a Grey Cup. I think the stadium is good, especially the seats, but cheapest price doesn't always work out as well as some believe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In response to the fan social media group pushing the proposed Halifax franchise ahead quickly, the CFL and those applying for team ownership have issued statements strongly suggesting that these groups not get to far ahead of themselves. I think this is a wise idea as when this happened during the proposed CFL expansion to the US, the league was embarrassed when things did not work out as expected, something that has happened with some other leagues.

The account, CFLinHalifax, had fans dreaming of the possibilities — however, the league has clarified that it has no affiliation with the account:
    “We want to make it clear that the Canadian Football League has no affiliation with the social media accounts identifying themselves as CFLinHalifax. While we appreciate the excitement and enthusiasm of the fans behind these accounts, even if some of their suggestions are far more appropriate than others, it is premature to discuss a name for a franchise that has not been awarded. We have been advised by the potential ownership group for Halifax that it also has no affiliation with these fan accounts.”
    The CFL confirmed back in November that discussions have taken place with an ownership group that is interested in bringing an expansion team to the city of Halifax. However, the league has maintained that a very thorough process of due diligence will be required.
    On Monday, Anthony LeBlanc, Partner, Maritime Football Limited, echoed the CFL’s statement:
    “While we love the enthusiasm and some of the creativity being shown by the CFLinHalifax series of social media sites, it is not one that is managed by the potential ownership group. As we have mentioned before, we do like and are considering a name the team contest, however we are not ready to start that process as of yet. We continue to work diligently and expeditiously with the league, various levels of government and local stakeholders, and expect an update to be delivered in the not too distant future.”
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/01/29/cfl-is...fax-team-name/