Quote Originally Posted by Argoknot View Post
Only from the little I did catch, Elliotte wasn't up to the task, his calls were understandably weak, it's not his metier. His prep work was obviously good, that's his strength, live calls aren't. As for going 100 miles an hour it is swim racing not dressage.
I'm talking about McDonald blabbing away during the non-race portions of the event. Like when swimmers are being introduced. Friedman, like any good broadcaster, is more than capable of uttering a few nuggets of info about each as supplied by researchers. McDonald wouldn't let him get in a word, at a time when there was plenty of room for both to stay relaxed and conversational. Friedman's play by play was fine, apart from his two major gaffes, and particularly so given how he was thrown in at the last minute. Given your appreciation for professional broadcasters, have to say I'm surprised you apparently don't rate him highly. I'd say he is one of the best broadcasters (not play by play but general-purpose broadcasters and broadcast commentators) in the country.