Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Pretty sure it's not. Trestman is surely bringing a whole bunch of different looks. They don't call him The Professor for nothing. He told the town hall that when he first came to the CFL, he imported all his favourite NFL plays into the playbook and just added a guy to each one. You can bet he's bringing in some more new wrinkles this time around.
    We shall see there. Trestman learned to run a productive CFL offence, but it was pretty standard look: big reliance on pass with 5 pack set; one basic, same old run play to the single back. Hopefully, he can steer Ray clear of way too much short dump / check-down garbage that Millanovich loved in favor of throwing the ball well down the field lots; if Trestman was some sort of innovator or wanted to show some new CFL wrinkles, he might think of going with way more diverse ground game - good luck with that happening. It will be more like same old look IMO, but Trestman's play-calling might be a big advantage.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's been talked about that Trestman was let go in Baltimore due to his reliance on the dump pass, and his lack of run game. While I do think Trestman is a heckeva better play caller, offensive mind, and Head Coach over Milanovich, I don't think people should be surprised if we see more of the same offence. A lot also depends on the QB as well obviously, but Ray has always been a high percentage passer, it's not like we have a Mike Reilly here to air it out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    It's been talked about that Trestman was let go in Baltimore due to his reliance on the dump pass, and his lack of run game. While I do think Trestman is a heckeva better play caller, offensive mind, and Head Coach over Milanovich, I don't think people should be surprised if we see more of the same offence. A lot also depends on the QB as well obviously, but Ray has always been a high percentage passer, it's not like we have a Mike Reilly here to air it out.
    My guess is the offence will be very similar to what we saw under Milanovich.
    Game planning and in game adjustments should be improved with Trestman and his staff.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    My guess is the offence will be very similar to what we saw under Milanovich.
    Game planning and in game adjustments should be improved with Trestman and his staff.
    Agreed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Trestman is a heckeva better play caller, offensive mind, and Head Coach over Milanovich, I don't think people should be surprised if we see more of the same offence.
    The same offence should become a heckeva better offence when it is run by a heckeva better play caller, offensive mind and head coach, all things being equal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The same offence should become a heckeva better offence when it is run by a heckeva better play caller, offensive mind and head coach, all things being equal.
    I agree to a degree as I think Trestman is a considerably better coach than Milanovich, will most likely take over the play calling, and IMO is less conservative than Milo and Brady, but I still don't think the offensive plays will change much.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    if Trestman was some sort of innovator or wanted to show some new CFL wrinkles, he might think of going with way more diverse ground game - good luck with that happening.
    I don't buy this idea that Trestman didn't have any running game in Montreal. Twice his teams finished in the top 3 in team rushing yards. Compare that to the Milanovich-era Argonauts, who finished dead last in team rushing 3 times. Trestman's smart enough to know that you need a running game if you've got an immobile QB. I think the key is having depth at the position, and I think either Wilder or Hunter could end up being a real gamebreaker. They've got to find a way to dress two INT RB along with Coombs every game this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I don't buy this idea that Trestman didn't have any running game in Montreal. Twice his teams finished in the top 3 in team rushing yards. Compare that to the Milanovich-era Argonauts, who finished dead last in team rushing 3 times. Trestman's smart enough to know that you need a running game if you've got an immobile QB. I think the key is having depth at the position, and I think either Wilder or Hunter could end up being a real gamebreaker. They've got to find a way to dress two INT RB along with Coombs every game this year.
    I remember a couple of games where Trestman's Alouette's trounced the Argos primarily because of the ground game chewing up large yardage and then shifting to an air attack when the Argos made adjustments, something that Milanovich rarely, if ever, seemed to get the hang of.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I remember a couple of games where Trestman's Alouette's trounced the Argos primarily because of the ground game chewing up large yardage and then shifting to an air attack when the Argos made adjustments, something that Milanovich rarely, if ever, seemed to get the hang of.
    I remember those games, Jerry, that Als O-Line was blowing us away. Maybe The Professor really will surprise all the skeptics with a much bigger commitment to the running game this year. Maybe he'll trailblaze a new direction for CFL offences, just like he did his first time around.

Boatman
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    OK for what it's worth, I want to go on the record. Keeping in mind our last game is
    on the road, in BC, where strangely the Argos WON recently, and remembering the Argos
    win in BC about once every ten years, I say they go into the last game at 7-and-10, still with a
    chance to be in the playoffs, and they lose in BC, Argos finish 7-and-11 and the Alouettes finish at
    8-and-10 to get third place (agreed there will be no West cross-over in 2017). NOW YOU KNOW.

Boatman
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    And oh yeah, one more point to make about 2017, on behalf of all of us STH...
    PLEASE PLEASE may the Argos win More than twice at Home this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Well I was right about this but as I have confessed before, I was wrong about Ray for a long time. Here's what I can't figure out about Ricky Ray: he looks like he's moving a little quicker this year. Last year he moved in the pocket like he was wearing snowshoes, but in the last few games he's been jumping up into the pocket and evading the rush like I've never seen him do it before.

Maybe his knees are feeling better this year, but I think the big difference might be improved O-iine play, giving Ricky a reliable pocket to escape into more often.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well I was right about this but as I have confessed before, I was wrong about Ray for a long time. Here's what I can't figure out about Ricky Ray: he looks like he's moving a little quicker this year. Last year he moved in the pocket like he was wearing snowshoes, but in the last few games he's been jumping up into the pocket and evading the rush like I've never seen him do it before.

Maybe his knees are feeling better this year, but I think the big difference might be improved O-iine play, giving Ricky a reliable pocket to escape into more often.
    The O Line still needs improvement IMO. IIRC Ray was still sacked more than any other quarterback this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    The O Line still needs improvement IMO. IIRC Ray was still sacked more than any other quarterback this season.
    That number has significantly decreased since the arrival of Jonathan Himebauch. IMO, he has been the biggest difference maker for the O since his arrival.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

The O-Line has been much improved since Himebauch arrived but IMO James Wilder’s emergence as a legit running threat has stopped our opponents from simply pinning back and pressuring Ray (as was happening before).
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:

Level
    The O-Line has been much improved since Himebauch arrived but IMO James Wilder’s emergence as a legit running threat has stopped our opponents from simply pinning back and pressuring Ray (as was happening before).
    The line was at such a disadvantage without a running game. Really hope the team can keep Himebauch on the staff long term. Does Deane replace Washington at guard when he is healthy?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Agree. And we've all been talking about a dominant running game around here forever. It changes everything and makes everyone look, and play better. See the confidence the O-Line grabs? You can actually see it in their demeanor. They are bulls that want to the gate to open so they can start bucking downfield.

The timing of Himebauch's positive arrival, Brandon Washington to RG, and the Wild Thing all together; has all worked out so well, that I would not be surprised if this team actually won the Grey Cup.

Seasons turn like that, especially in this league. We have been witness to such positive O.Line turnarounds here before and it has resulted in paydirt.

BTW, kudos to all Argo fans here. Looking back at this thread was rather impressive. Many (most) of us had some very interesting, and perceptive observations heading into this season.
    Last edited by Jon Gonzo; 11-12-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Agree. And we've all been talking about a dominant running game around here forever. It changes everything and makes everyone look, and play better. See the confidence the O-Line grabs? You can actually see it in their demeanor. They are bulls that want to the gate to open so they can start bucking downfield.

The timing of Himebauch's positive arrival, Brandon Washington to RG, and the Wild Thing all together; has all worked out so well, that I would not be surprised if this team actually won the Grey Cup.

Seasons turn like that, especially in this league.
    I agree. Wilder's running and the dramatic improvement in the OL's performance have been mutually reinforcing leading to the Argos peaking at just the right time.