Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    DT--Robertson played with Hall, which made his job a little easier but he did look very effective when he was in there. Playing with the first string D always makes it a little easier to shine but he did play well. Both Watson and Bishop were more than competent and often pushed the offensive line players back. Granted it is easier to play against 2nd and 3rd stringers but they looked good. On the balance Robertson looks to have won the right to play along side Hall.
    Pretty sure we are planning to start one NAT at DT -- Bulcke and Waud in rotation. Neither guy dressed yesterday. I could certainly see Robertson dressing and playing in a rotation. If we are able to start nine NATs (two on d-line, one at LB, one at S, four on o-line and one SB), we can rotate Robertson or another INT DT in alongside Hall frequently.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    O-A and Herbert each gave up one long completion down the left sideline. O-A is probably in tough to keep his spot, Herbert is probably worth keeping around as an emergency backup and ST guy but at this stage of his career he's not gonna develop into a starting-calibre player.
    It was the first TD - I just saw the replay and it was Ansah. It was tough to see if it was an 8 or 9 (sitting in the North East upper deck), but I really didn't like what I saw on that play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Milanovich on BMO Field, Kilgore, Gale, penalties etc.
    http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/06/11/s...sphere-at-bmo/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Coombs has good speed and was a RB in CIS football and he can make people miss trying to tackle him at times, But, I can't ever remember seeing him break a tackle. Always seems to go down at the first contact. Back up for Durie and maybe they can make a WR out of him.
    I don't see Josey making the team again this year. Whitaker, Kackert and Baker look to be the three who will probably rotate on and off the 46 man roster.
    Brian Jones is still out with the wrist injury.
    Probably just about everybody was caught off guard when Gale showed up and played. He must have been working out and throwing somewhere. I would just as soon see Kilgore and Gale be the two game day back ups, while Farjardo keeps learning on the IR or PR. McPherson has never showed much as a passer IMO.
    I basically agree with your assessment although I think Coombs may stay as backup to Durie until his retirement which is could be by the end of this season, considering his age and recent injuries. Coombs was reasonably successful last year catching 57 passes for 486 yards, so he well stay as the dump pass guy rather than move out to WR where we already have so much talent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Hazelton on his catches and Ray's value, as well as Wallace Miles commenting on how the many different personalities on the team are connecting.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    T J Heath on his two interceptions and the fact he's never been on a team like this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Milanovich comments on game and stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Pretty sure we are planning to start one NAT at DT -- Bulcke and Waud in rotation. Neither guy dressed yesterday. I could certainly see Robertson dressing and playing in a rotation. If we are able to start nine NATs (two on d-line, one at LB, one at S, four on o-line and one SB), we can rotate Robertson or another INT DT in alongside Hall frequently.

IF Bulcke is not healthy and ready to go, I could easily see them starting 2 import DTs with Waud as the back-up swing guy; Waud could be the starter with a young import guy as the back-up, but if there is no "ratio problem" issue to start Waud, then imports get the nod for playing time in typical CFL "thinking".

I'll believe 9 NI starters for this team when i see evidence of it, but there is certainly that possiblity; Miles starting at MLB is another possibility I guess, but doubtful perhaps. 10 NI starters would be gob mind boggling in this CFL day & age. I'll bet on all other CFL teams going with the minimum 7 NIs only need apply thinking - outside of the Bombers = could easily go with 8 - 3 O-lineman + Harris at RB + Kohlert at one receiver spot (could go with 2 NI receivers with Feoli-Gudino and Richards available too); and then 3 on D - Westerman & Shologan on the D-line; + vet Bucknor at corner; Hurl started at MLB for them last season, but I bet he will lose his job to an import now with other NI staters elsewhere; they also have several good NI safety prospects in Sherman, Waggoner and draft pick Loffler; they could start 10 NIs too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    What a day. The stadium was a dream come true. The media coverage of the game was fantastic -- first item on CP24 and CTV Toronto newscasts, with the tailgating and positive spin, I can't remember seeing coverage of the Argos like that ever. Maybe I am still dreaming.

It would have been nice if they distributed even just a sheet with the player numbers, come on, they want us to become acquainted with the players, don't they? I wonder if there will be programs sold before games again -- do other sports still sell game-day programs?

As for negatives, I don't believe i've ever seen a worse punting performance by an Argonaut team. They better get that fixed or we'll be losing field position all year long.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    It was the first TD - I just saw the replay and it was Ansah. It was tough to see if it was an 8 or 9 (sitting in the North East upper deck), but I really didn't like what I saw on that play.
    Yes, and Herbert got beaten badly on a long gainer later.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    What a day. The stadium was a dream come true. The media coverage of the game was fantastic -- first item on CP24 and CTV Toronto newscasts, with the tailgating and positive spin, I can't remember seeing coverage of the Argos like that ever. Maybe I am still dreaming.

It would have been nice if they distributed even just a sheet with the player numbers, come on, they want us to become acquainted with the players, don't they? I wonder if there will be programs sold before games again -- do other sports still sell game-day programs?

As for negatives, I don't believe i've ever seen a worse punting performance by an Argonaut team. They better get that fixed or we'll be losing field position all year long.
    I had printed off a depth chart before the game. I think the Blue Jays still sell programs.

Hopefully the punting was a product of the punters getting used to the wind patterns in the stadium.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    CFL teams (at least in southern Ontario, but probably everywhere) haven't sold programs in years. Not enough ad revenue to justify the production costs. However, I agree it would have been nice to get a printed lineup/depth chart. I assume for regular season games we will get the booklet we've been getting for past several seasons.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yes, and Herbert got beaten badly on a long gainer later.
    Herbert had good coverage, just didn't find the ball on that play. Great catch by Matt Coates, a former CJFL player.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Herbert had good coverage, just didn't find the ball on that play. Great catch by Matt Coates, a former CJFL player.
    Fair enough. You need the guy to make the play on the ball but it doesn't always work out that way. Still think Herbert is a useful backup/ST guy who has hit a ceiling in his development.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Fair enough. You need the guy to make the play on the ball but it doesn't always work out that way. Still think Herbert is a useful backup/ST guy who has hit a ceiling in his development.
    I don't disagree. I don't think anyone expected him to be a starter on corner, but can still do a good enough job if pressed into service due to injury.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://3downnation.com/2016/06/11/go...on-loss-argos/

i'm glad someone mentioned the demographics. At times during the game I would do a look around and was surprised to see so many young people. IMO there were significantly more people under the age of 40 then there were 40 and overs. I never went to the west side though; maybe different ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

i'm glad someone mentioned the demographics. At times during the game I would do a look around and was surprised to see so many young people. IMO there were significantly more people under the age of 40 then there were 40 and overs. I never went to the west side though; maybe different ?
    I was in the west side I would say in our general area (Section 125) is skewed mainly in that 40-50ish range but overall I did see allot of younger people throughout that side. I wonder how much the free ticket offer contributed to that so curious to see the mix on the 24th.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    IMO - Barker & co. could have/should have addressed DB depth and a future safety type to understudy with Gabriel in this past draft, rather than picking 3 O-line "projects". Matt Black is getting on in age/mileage, and not sure Hebert has it as either a D-backfielder or a special teams force. There were some guys there this draft who IMO probably have way more potential than Hebert (including AUS all-star D-backfielder Hayden Peters (who was also the team's #1 punter at one time) - who put up some good athletic testing #s at a Regional Combine - the Als signed him as a FA for their TC when they already had several young safety/DB prospects on their roster) - why did Barker not even sign a NI FA there?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Lots of kids and families at the tailgate too.

Boatman
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thoughts:
    QB's - Kilgore looked good - very good IMO. Ray wasn't in for long, but I thought the deep throw looked great....... even though it didn't work out. Farjardo clearly struggled and needs more time (keep in mind Kilgore didn't look great last year either) - way too quick to run IMO. Was shocked to see Gale, but not surprised he was successful.

Rb's - were barely used, so not much I can say other than Baker looked pretty good and I thought for the most part they all blocker relatively well. Josey played okay IMO - was able to find holes in the middle, but didn't get far.

OL - Our starters are set IMO, but I think Van Roten should move to Centre for now until McEwen is ready - IMO Watman didn't look that great.

WR's - Hazelton, Elliott, Gurley, Durie and Spencer are probably locks, but I like what I saw from Noel and Miles.

Defence: Liked what I saw from Hall, Walker and McFadden. If i didn't know which number he had I wouldn't have noticed Spruill (who I had high hopes for). Not sure if it was Ansah or Hebert who got beat badly on the first TD, but I didn't like it at all - whomever it was clearly wasn't paying attention. Heath looked real good at times, but also got beat a few times as well. I liked what I saw from Legree. Very vanilla defense, so I'm expecting better things in week 1.

BMO: Loved it, train ride there was fast and easy. When you get into the stadium it actually felt as if it was the Argonauts home - lots of blue and if I didn't know any better I would've thought it was a CFL venue. I was on the East upper deck and it was fantastic; great views of the field and a nice breeze until the middle of the 4th and we got the sun. TBH the only two complaints I have is #1. I wish the big screen was bigger and maybe I missed it, but it wouldn't show which down it was (2 and 8 etc) and #2. the sound system at times was hard to hear - it was great when the music would play, but when Landry, Kate or the head ref spoke; it was hard to hear what they were saying.

Ticat Fans: They were pretty tame; I had no issue with any of them and didn't hear much during the game. I had some great convos with Ticat fans heading to and from the game as well.
    That's good to hear. As a CFL fan first and a Ticat fan second, I am appalled at the number of Ticat fans who laugh at the 16000 crowd for the preseason game. I just don't get it. I honestly think it's because the stadium/crowd was the one thing we felt like we could have constant bragging rights over (the Argos have more GCs and more recently too; the Ticats have the '15 ESF win vs Argos but that's only good for an offseason, and Labour Day, but always get the feeling that means more to us than you). Any time the Argo fans were knocking Ticat fans, we always had the fanbase/stadium issue to hang over your heads. That could all change and I think it's scaring the anti-Argo Ticat fans. But trust me... that's not all of us.. myself, with many others that I know, love what could be happening in Toronto. We tend to see the bigger picture. There are some intelligent Ticat fans out there, after all.