Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Accoridng to Trudeu today, discussions are going on between the government and league.'

https://www.tsn.ca/justin-trudeau-di...-cfl-1.1471050

It's not a hard or fast 'no' right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Accoridng to Trudeu today, discussions are going on between the government and league.'

I can see $150 million in lost revenue, but not true combined losses. Asking for $30 million before the season has even started is premature. If it’s negotiations, might as well start high. Giving only what the league needs to survive is the answer, which still includes all teams experiencing financial hardship.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    I can see $150 million in lost revenue, but not true combined losses. Asking for $30 million before the season has even started is premature. If it’s negotiations, might as well start high. Giving only what the league needs to survive is the answer, which still includes all teams experiencing financial hardship.
    Exactly. I can't see any team losing more than 5MM if there is no season. Seeing as how many teams have already laid off a lot of staff, I can't even see it being that high. For the Argos, that might actually be less in losses than 2019. Sad to say, but true.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level

Well the fact the they are talking about some kind of assistance is somewhat encouraging. Wouldn't be surprised the Gov't asked the League to make a public ask to gage the reaction. Then they can say we won't be giving them that much and make all the nay sayers feel better. Meanwhile the League can probably do alright with less.
    There must be many people on here who have a better idea of how much money it takes beside the players salaries to run a team. So right now the salary cap is covered pretty well by the TV dollars. A 12 game pro-rated salary cap and TV dollars should balance off. So roughly what would be the cost for Coaches, Management, administration, travel, equipment, stadium rent, off season cost. What else is there?
    150M comes out to about 17M per club which doesn't sound so bad IMO. Maybe the Provinces could look after the Stadium rent etc. be creative.
    I believe they're going to come up with some agreement to keep the lights on so to speak. I am sure there have been discussions going on before this public ask came out. But I did my part. I brought a season ticket and paid my taxes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Well the fact the they are talking about some kind of assistance is somewhat encouraging. Wouldn't be surprised the Gov't asked the League to make a public ask to gage the reaction. Then they can say we won't be giving them that much and make all the nay sayers feel better. Meanwhile the League can probably do alright with less.
    I think this is exactly right. I think the money's coming for sure, a lot less than $150M but surely enough to stage a half-season.

These are uncharted waters we are in. Much of the conventional wisdom about what constitutes good or bad gov't spending is flying out the window.

I read today that they are sending the Snowbirds to fly over every Canadian city in the next few weeks to "boost morale". That's a considerable expense of manpower and fuel for something that doesn't help anybody eat or get healthy, but the morale of the country should be and is a major concern of the government. That's why they will surely drop a measly $30M on the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Back to this, I understand some of the outrage to government assistance and perhaps the publicly owned teams should get something over the privately owned teams. But as usual media and people don't have their priorities right.

Justin recently announced the following.
    "$77.5 million to help food processors purchase protective equipment for workers, adapt to health protocols like physical distancing "

You don't have to look hard to read how badly Cargill treats it's employees in horrible working conditions. Cargill also made more than 2.5 billion last year. I don't see how they need 77 million. But people will rip the CFL for asking.