View Poll Results: Where should the new Argonauts Stadium be located?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richmond Hill

3 5.26%
  • Markham

3 5.26%
  • Vaughan

7 12.28%
  • Woodbine Racetrack

4 7.02%
  • York University

2 3.51%
  • Downsview

13 22.81%
  • BMO Field

19 33.33%
  • Other

6 10.53%
Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    There's no site anywhere that is immune to traffic from all directions. If it's brutal to drive to BMO from the north (and I'm sure it is), it must also be brutal to drive to Rogers Centre from the north. Just as it can be brutal to drive to RC from the west (it certainly was on Friday night, at least) and from the east quite often. No matter where the stadium ends up, driving there will involve fighting traffic for anyone who does not live within a couple of kilometres. The point I've been trying to make is that at least downtown (or at the Ex), you have an option to get there -- from all directions -- that does not require you to drive in Toronto traffic. Anywhere outside the downtown core will eliminate that option for at least some paying customers. If the team can offset any losses from that group with gains from other customers, moving to the suburbs would be a good idea. If not, it won't be.

I don't disagree that the leg of the journey from subway to Ex can be unpleasant on crowded streetcars, but Argo fans put up with that for 30 years when the team played at the Ex.

I think it's fairly certain (based on comments from Leiwecke) that the stadium is going to be renovated extensively, whether or not the Argos become a tenant or partner, so I don't think the current setup should be seen as what we'd be moving into.

There are no high-speed buses that I know of from west of the city or east of the city to the area you are speaking of. Someone living in Oakville, Burlington or Milton (and presumably Pickering/Oshawa/Whitby although I am not positive about that) would need to take GO train to Union, then subway to the stadium. A journey that would take 90 minutes or more from most locations. If GO ever adds a route that goes across the top of Toronto from the eastern and western suburbs, it would be a different story, but I think that's unlikely as there already seems to be a shortage of usable rails.
    Surprisingly even though they're pretty close it's much easier to drive and park at/near the Rogers Centre from the North than it is to BMO Field. Wth the Rogers Centre you have the DVP, Gardiner, Lakeshore and City Streets. When driving to BMO Field it's not practical to use the Gardiner due to the lack of exits in the area. And there are much fewer parking options at BMO Field - especially when the CNE is on.

Yes hopefully they follow through with the improvements to BMO Field, especially the partial roof.

It's true that there aren't any high speed buses from that far out but if the stadium was located in Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham or even at Woodbine Racetrack it becomes Much easier to drive to due to the Highways - 401, 407, 404, 427, 409 and to a lesser extent the 410, 403, 50, 27 & 7.

The Highway options are just so much better in Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham and at Woodbine Racetrack.

BMO Field has limited highway options, limited transit options and limited parking options. It's pretty much the hardest location possible to get to, much worse than the Rogers Centre.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    When driving to BMO Field it's not practical to use the Gardiner due to the lack of exits in the area. And there are much fewer parking options at BMO Field - especially when the CNE is on....

BMO Field has limited highway options, limited transit options and limited parking options. It's pretty much the hardest location possible to get to, much worse than the Rogers Centre.

I'm not sure I understand this argument. From the west, exit at Jameson and you're almost right there; from the east, (downtown) exit at Spadina and it's not THAT far.
    Limited transit? GO Trains right at the door with half-hourly service east and west. From the GO perspective this is an ideal location. (I agree, TTC streetcar service could be better.)
    Limited parking? It's surrounded by parking lots. The tailgate scene might actually be pretty good.
    Last edited by shayman; 10-27-2013 at 03:38 PM.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this argument. From the west, exit at Jameson and you're almost right there; from the east, (downtown) exit at Spadina and it's not THAT far.
    Limited transit? GO Trains right at the door with half-hourly service east and west. From the GO perspective this is an ideal location. (I agree, TTC streetcar service could be better.)
    Limited parking? It's surrounded by parking lots. The tailgate scene might actually be pretty good.
    The Jamieson exit either puts you onto Jamieson which is a 2 lane (Total) city street with on street parking or onto Lakeshore which means that you have to either exit onto Ontario which is also a 2 lane street (with 1 center turn lane) or onto Strahan which only has 1 Northbound lane. It's the same thing if you get off at Spadina.

Also the Dufferin Street bridge is closed for the next few years for construction.

The only GO line that services the Exhibition GO Station is the Lakeshore West line. The other lines all go into Union Station. Also it doesn't run every 30 minutes, especially on weekends. Yes it's surrounded by Small, Expensive parking lots that disappear during the CNE and the Indy race.

Try getting to BMO Field from the North or East or by TTC, it's brutal. It's really only accessible if you happen to live on the Lakeshore West GO Line.
    Last edited by Neely2005; 10-28-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The only GO line that services the Exhibition GO Station is the Lakeshore West line. The other lines all go into Union Station. Also it doesn't run every 30 minutes, especially on weekends. Yes it's surrounded by Small, Expensive parking lots that disappear during the CNE and the Indy race.
    the go train along lakeshore DOES run every thirty minutes/7 days a week as of this summer past

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matchuk View Post
    the go train along lakeshore DOES run every thirty minutes/7 days a week as of this summer past
    And of course most of the Lakeshore East trains continue on through Union and become Lakeshore West trains. You have every-30-minute service to Exhibition GO station all the way from Hamilton to Oshawa.

BMO may have its faults, but lack of GO access is not one of them.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matchuk View Post
    And of course most of the Lakeshore East trains continue on through Union and become Lakeshore West trains. You have every-30-minute service to Exhibition GO station all the way from Hamilton to Oshawa.

BMO may have its faults, but lack of GO access is not one of them.
    Then I guess I'm reading the schedule on the GO Transit website wrong because from what I can see it doesn't show 30 Minute Train service 7 days a week.

I'll take your word that the Lakeshore East trains go to BMO Field too but even still that means only 2 GO Train lines go to Exhibition Stadium and only the Lakeshore West line always goes directly there. Realistically anyone coming from 905 North (Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, Aurora, Newmarket etc.) isn't going to be able to get to BMO Field via transit and anyone in the 416 is going to have a very difficult time getting there on TTC due to the limited streetcar access to BMO Field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Then I guess I'm reading the schedule on the GO Transit website wrong because from what I can see it doesn't show 30 Minute Train service 7 days a week.
    Train schedules are notoriously hard to read - but here is this Saturday's schedule.

http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/...est&parentid=1

(Aargh, link might not work. Go to gotransit.com , click Schedules, look for 15-18 Lakeshore West)

Eastbound trains arrive at Exhibition at 08:00, 09:00, 10:00, 11:00, 11:30, 12:00, 12:30 (... every half hour continues ...) 22:00, 22:30, 23:00, 00:01.

This is pretty nice, it's a recent addition. A few months ago it was hourly most of the day, now it's half-hourly most of the day.

Note that the Lakeshore ones are the only GO lines that are double-tracked all the way and thus equipped for two-way seven-day service so you'll really only see rush-hour mostly-one-way weekday-only service on all the other lines. Even if there is a GO station on another line near some other potential stadium location (e.g. Downsview), it probably won't help anybody get to a weekend game without massive upgrades to the track.

and anyone in the 416 is going to have a very difficult time getting there on TTC due to the limited streetcar access to BMO Field.
    TTC to Union , transfer to GO to Exhibition. It's doable and with half-hourly service it's not totally outlandish. Some day we'll have integrated fares across all these systems and perhaps you'll be able to transfer without paying another $4.85 for the GO part to make it more desirable .
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    Agreed there's no way Richmond Hill works on the timeline needed for the Argos. I do think that Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is in the cards though: https://www.vaughan.ca/business/vaug...s/default.aspx. Here's the map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...011e2e39c222a6
    I think that Richmond Hill can work being that it's North but Central. You have the 407, 404, Highway 7 and great Viva & YRT Bus service on Yonge Street that goes right into Finch Station and later hopefully into the Richmond Hill Subway Station at Yonge & 7 or Yonge & 16th.

That location in Vaughan may work even better as you have the 400, 407 & Highway 7 plus the Subway will be running to 400 & 7 in a couple of years.

TTC to Union , transfer to GO to Exhibition. It's doable and with half-hourly service it's not totally outlandish. Some day we'll have integrated fares across all these systems and perhaps you'll be able to transfer without paying another $4.85 for the GO part to make it more desirable .
    So you're looking at around $15 Round Trip Per Person in TTC (to Union) and GO (to Exhibition Station) Fares. At that point you're better off driving and paying for parking IMO.