Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post

Aside from much improved marketing by the Argos & CFL in the area - how to combat this garbage ? Tough call. One thing I recommend - when an NFL hero worshipping wannabe bad mouths the CFL or you for being a CFL fan - tell them to F.O. and threaten a punch in their big moron yap. It`s something anyways. Staying a quiet little sheep to those types just encourages them, and helps the attitude thrive.
    I never did back down, not in high school for sure, and not later, especially when I had a few "pops" in me, when these things would usually come up, I never threatened to punch anyone over it, but I pissed a few bigger guys than me off with it, and almost got a punch myself. I don't (or didn't then) care, I've always been of the mind, that if you happen to really like the NFL better, who am I to say you should like the CFL, but the belittling and snickering about something they almost always invariably knew nothing about, rubbed me the wrong way.

Still plenty of wannabe types in Ottawa who mock or look down on the CFL. I don`t really know, but just seems to me - that attitude is just so much more prevalent and has been allowed to thrive in Toronnawannabe land ( or most of Southern Ontario) ?

There is TONS of RedBlacks gear - hats, Ts, jersey's, etc. - on display by the sports gear wearing public here, ever since the RedBlacks returned as a CFL franchise. Why does Toronto not have lots of people sporting Argo gear? - afraid to be mocked by a wannabe ?
    I would say yes. Even though I would stand up to NFL wannabe types, I must admit, when I put on that Argo gear, I felt and I knew I would be mocked. And often I was. And as much as I didn't care, I didn't always want to bother with that. So imagine a fairweather fan? Why would he or she bother?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Still plenty of wannabe types in Ottawa who mock or look down on the CFL. I don`t really know, but just seems to me - that attitude is just so much more prevalent and has been allowed to thrive in Toronnawannabe land ( or most of Southern Ontario) ?

There is TONS of RedBlacks gear - hats, Ts, jersey's, etc. - on display by the sports gear wearing public here, ever since the RedBlacks returned as a CFL franchise. Why does Toronto not have lots of people sporting Argo gear? - afraid to be mocked by a wannabe ?
    Zero shame, only Redblack pride in Ottawa. They are considered all cool. The winning program hasn't hurt. 3 Seasons- gone to 2 Grey Cups.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Zero shame, only Redblack pride in Ottawa. They are considered all cool. The winning program hasn't hurt. 3 Seasons- gone to 2 Grey Cups.
    I've seen so many people wearing Redblack gear up here. And like I said, I met NFL only types up here, and I didn't get any mocking when I said I prefer CFL. I'm going to assume they exist, but I haven't come across them yet. Its a different attitude.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Nevertheless, it seemed the CFL was pretty dead in Ottawa for a time especially when I lived there while the Renegades were "suspended." Either people were in hibernation or Hunt did one hell of a job to galvanize the marketplace. I know of several people in Ottawa of the millennial generation who still won't give the CFL much of a chance (although they aren't outright hostile as argos1873 relates).

The inability to capture that market in Toronto remains the single biggest obstacle for the Argonauts, and what is the solution? It seems like the CFL hater in Toronto loves you to know he hates the CFL. How are you supposed to combat this?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't think the enemy here is the CFL haters as you won't change their minds. I couldn't do it in 1971 before the current behemoth NFL, so how could we today.

It's the level of apathy of CFL fans in Toronto that is the biggest concern. Product, or perception of the product (marketing) has to be changed.

Blue Jays played before empty stadiums during the years when they were out of contention in August. A sharp operator like Jeff Hunt certainly wouldn't hurt in Toronto. I haven't seen a business/marketing plan to address the dormant clients yet.

On the plus side. I have seen a big investment on the product side coach/GM and right after that minor cost cutting on the broadcast side. Perplexing.

I have seen in the Ottawa/Gatineau area the RedBlacks are very active at the high school/minor league football level. These are natural fans that can easily relate to the approachable CFL players. We're active in minor league football and we see zero Argos presence with this fan base. Last time I can recall the Argos reaching out to this fan base resulted in +26,000 fans at a daytime exhibition game.

I really believe that it would be beneficial if the Argos sent someone to intern with the RedBlacks for a full season. The success of the Argos is critical to the success of the Argos.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 04-27-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Nevertheless, it seemed the CFL was pretty dead in Ottawa for a time especially when I lived there while the Renegades were "suspended." Either people were in hibernation or Hunt did one hell of a job to galvanize the marketplace. I know of several people in Ottawa of the millennial generation who still won't give the CFL much of a chance (although they aren't outright hostile as argos1873 relates).

The inability to capture that market in Toronto remains the single biggest obstacle for the Argonauts, and what is the solution? It seems like the CFL hater in Toronto loves you to know he hates the CFL. How are you supposed to combat this?
    I lived in Ottawa for the better part of 12 years (1988-2000) which included the death of the Rough Riders following the 1996 season. I always felt that there was a solid base of about 13k CFL fans in that city but getting more to buy in regularly was challenging given how badly run the team was from the mid-1980s to mid-1990s. However, I always knew that with the right ownership, Ottawa could thrive again in the CFL and that is exactly what has happened. IMO though, Ottawa is a very different city and market compared to Toronto. Toronto has this unhealthy (IMO) need to be "world-class" that Ottawa doesn't have and "world-class" and "CFL" just don't seem to go together for far too many Torontonians.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    I know of several people in Ottawa of the millennial generation who still won't give the CFL much of a chance (although they aren't outright hostile as argos1873 relates).
    I think you misunderstood, I never met "hostility" in Ottawa regarding the CFL, although I have never discussed this with millenials. I was referring to Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Also regarding the turn around in Ottawa, if they were to have plopped another team in old Frank Clair (had it not needed to be partially ripped down that is), and that's all they did, ala the Renegades, I don't think it would matter who owned the team. But with the new revamped stadium, but way more importantly what they did AROUND the stadium is a huge factor in the turn around. I've unfortunately yet to go there on game day, but its impressive at lunch time, in January, on a Tuesday, so I could only imagine what its like on game day. What they did there was completely amazing. When I was last in Ottawa in 2006 it was empty pavement. And if the ownership group had anything to do with that, props to them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I hope this theory never gets tested, but I do believe if the Argos were to disappear for 10 years, a return after that time would be as well received as it has in Ottawa. Sometimes people don't know what they have until it's gone.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    Also regarding the turn around in Ottawa, if they were to have plopped another team in old Frank Clair (had it not needed to be partially ripped down that is), and that's all they did, ala the Renegades, I don't think it would matter who owned the team. But with the new revamped stadium, but way more importantly what they did AROUND the stadium is a huge factor in the turn around. I've unfortunately yet to go there on game day, but its impressive at lunch time, in January, on a Tuesday, so I could only imagine what its like on game day. What they did there was completely amazing. When I was last in Ottawa in 2006 it was empty pavement. And if the ownership group had anything to do with that, props to them.
    It has transformed the area significantly. The Friends of Lansdowne must be crying in their Birkenstocks.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    Like everything else in the RedBlacks' story, Jeff Hunt had EVERYTHING to do with the redevelopment of Landsdowne Park. Frank Clair Stafium, Ottawa 67s rink and residential and commercial development. Smart operator! I say Toronto scours Newfoundland for his twin brother?

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Co...051/story.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Bang-on post IMO.

The wannabeness that exists to such a degree in the GTA - that has joe average sports fan looking down their nose at the "inferior" CFL for not being "major league" is a huge obstacle to overcome for the Argos & the CFL; and it is still promoted by all the dorks in the sports media - and going way back (a moron like Simmons putting down the CFL forever with his pulpit; dweebs like Hebscher, Tatti & Martin constantly snickering at the CFL on the old Global Sportsline; dullards like sports "expert" McClown and his wannabe guests ignoring the CFL or else focusing on negativity, etc.) YEARS or even decades of the CFL being dissed or mocked in it's own country = institutionalized negativity & apathy - for a historic great league = sad & pathetic.

Aside from much improved marketing by the Argos & CFL in the area - how to combat this garbage ? Tough call. One thing I recommend - when an NFL hero worshipping wannabe bad mouths the CFL or you for being a CFL fan - tell them to F.O. and threaten a punch in their big moron yap. It`s something anyways. Staying a quiet little sheep to those types just encourages them, and helps the attitude thrive.

Are you in any position, economically or physically to punch someone in the mouth for disrespecting the CFL??? Get a grip. I know I'm not, maybe physically I'm still capable of popping someone in the mouth, but I would not want to face the economic and legal consequences. The point being, people are free to believe what they want, and it's the CFL and the Argos job to promote their product to them, not ours to threaten them.

I'm also a little tired of this term "wannabeism". You're beating a dead horse and it's been dead a long time. It can't be just the "Major League" mentality because how could you explain the decent attendance and near sellouts at TFC games. TFC does not get the coverage of the Blue Jays, Raptors and Leafs, and the guys who talk about them on the radio will flat out tell you, the MLS is not the Premier League in England, La Liga in Spain, Serie A in Italy or the Bundesliga in Germany...and that's just the top leagues in Europe, even the Mexican top league has a far superior talent level than the MLS, yet Toronto FC is still capable of selling their product to an enthusiastic market. There's absolutely no reason the Argos can't do the same for football fans in the Greater Toronto Area.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Like everything else in the RedBlacks' story, Jeff Hunt had EVERYTHING to do with the redevelopment of Landsdowne Park. Frank Clair Stafium, Ottawa 67s rink and residential and commercial development. Smart operator! I say Toronto scours Newfoundland for his twin brother?

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Co...051/story.html
    It also didn't help the Toronto Argonauts that the perception of the club between 1989 and 2015 was that they were the red-headed step child playing at the baseball stadium that was built for the Blue Jays. Yah, there were a few big crowds there, but the Skydome never felt like the home of the Argos. From the horrible sightlines on many sections to the cavernous concourses, the Blue Jay signs and banners, to even the Buffalo Bills banners for several seasons. Thank God they are out of there.

Toronto sports fans have been a little spoiled with the shopping mall atmosphere at the dome, but if there was anything positive about the Argo season last year, it was the atmosphere of the crowd at many of the games, even if we do wished the numbers were higher at BMO. It was a nice place to be on most days, and it kept me staying even if the Argos were stinking up the joint on the field. With a better product, which will not be difficult to improve on, the numbers will gradually get better.

My only concern is the Argos not addressing some inflated pricing in several sections, which is evident when you see where season ticket packages have been sold. I'm not saying 55 yd line lower tier seats should be lowered in price, but maybe some upper level seating prices in the 25-35 yd lines should be.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Are you in any position, economically or physically to punch someone in the mouth for disrespecting the CFL??? Get a grip. I know I'm not, maybe physically I'm still capable of popping someone in the mouth, but I would not want to face the economic and legal consequences. The point being, people are free to believe what they want, and it's the CFL and the Argos job to promote their product to them, not ours to threaten them.

I'm also a little tired of this term "wannabeism". You're beating a dead horse and it's been dead a long time. It can't be just the "Major League" mentality because how could you explain the decent attendance and near sellouts at TFC games. TFC does not get the coverage of the Blue Jays, Raptors and Leafs, and the guys who talk about them on the radio will flat out tell you, the MLS is not the Premier League in England, La Liga in Spain, Serie A in Italy or the Bundesliga in Germany...and that's just the top leagues in Europe, even the Mexican top league has a far superior talent level than the MLS, yet Toronto FC is still capable of selling their product to an enthusiastic market. There's absolutely no reason the Argos can't do the same for football fans in the Greater Toronto Area.

I said (jokingly) "threaten" to punch a pompous wannabe in the yap - no go out and actually assault somebody. What's your response, as a CFL fan, to all the snide little dweebs in that part of the map who like to put down the CFL? - "oh well, whatever" - maybe that's been a part of the problem for decades now - letting mouthy little "wannabes" get away with running their ignorant, big mouths to foster a CFL is so 3rd rate or not cool mentality/culture.

Wannabes exist - tough titty if you're tired of the term - it's a big part of the problem, IMO, that the Argos and the CFL face in the GTA and/or Southern Ontario and it ha been led by wannabe dupes in the media. It's great that soccer fans in the area are supporting the FC and realize they are not the Premier League or other huge soccer leagues but that is not an issue to theme - they are not part of the problem : wannabes who bad mouth, mock or spew garbage about the CFL are - and IMO they need to be called on it. If you're good with living amongst so many pathetic little "world class" pukes and accepting their mentality - hey, that's swell /good for you.

Agreed though that the Argos should be able to sell their product to more sports/football fans in the GTA; but not with a quiet little sheep mentality.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Orridge won't be hosting the CFL Draft on May 7th, although he is still on the job until June 30th officially, which is common sense image-wise.

Orridge and the league’s board of governors “agreed to part ways” in mid-April, just over two years into what was supposed to be a three-year contract. He is scheduled to leave his post on June 30, shortly after the start of the 2017 regular season.
    With Orridge on his way out, it makes little sense for him to helm what’s become a high-profile event for the league. Broadcaster TSN has two-hours of coverage across four of its five networks scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/05/03/or...verage-report/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Duane Forde has indicated he is interested in the Commissioner's job. I think he has the potential to be a good one, although, like almost anyone taking such a demanding job, it would involve some personal growth on the job.

Duane Forde is interested in the CFL commissioner’s job.
    The veteran TSN football commentator said Tuesday during a conference call that he’d be open to discussing the position after the CFL draft Sunday. Last month, commissioner Jeffrey Orridge announced that he and the league had agreed to part ways effective June 30.
    Orridge, the former executive director of CBC Sports, became the CFL’s 13th commissioner in March 2015. Shortly after the announcement, Forde’s name was mentioned as a potential successor.
    “To be honest it’s something I would be interested in,” Forde said during the CFL draft conference call. “I’m not going to spend much time on this call certainly talking about it.
    “But maybe once we survive draft week that, yeah, it’s something that I would be interested in discussing.” ...

Forde, 47, has been with TSN since 2008, often serving as a commentator on football broadcasts with play-by-play announcer Rod Black. Forde is also a highly regarded Canadian college draft expert and since 2010 has run a national combine.
    In 2012, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers courted Forde about becoming their assistant general manager. The job went to Kyle Walters, who’s now the CFL club’s full-time GM.
    Forde was a fullback in the CFL for 12 seasons, playing for the Calgary Stampeders (1991-92, 1996-2000), Bombers (1993), Toronto Argonauts (1994-95), and Hamilton Tiger-Cats (2001-02). He appeared in five Grey Cup games, winning twice with the Stamps (1992, ’98).
    Forde also served as a Stampeders team captain for four years and appeared in 150 straight games _ regular season and playoffs _ over an eight-year span of his career.
    Forde played football collegiately at Western Ontario (1987-90), winning a Vanier Cup in 1989 when he was a team co-captain. Forde was named the Mustangs’ most valuable player on two occasions.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/05/02/ts...issioners-job/

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Jeffery L. Orridge just named the new CEO of TVO

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Jeffery L. Orridge just named the new CEO of TVO
    Holy thread bumping Batman