Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I think you should review his posts.

Tonight's main lesson, IMO, is that Fajardo doesn't look like a future star. He is definitely mobile, but that was a weak passing performance. He's now the clear #2, and hopefully he'll be better with lots of reps in practice and an offense tailored to his strengths, but I was dismayed by what I saw.

Mathews was even worse (overall), but did any of us expect much?
    I must have been watching a different Fajardo than you. The one I was watching moved the ball down the field well with some nice passes and kept the defense off balance with his rushing ability. I guess it depends on your definition of Star.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I must have been watching a different Fajardo than you. The one I was watching moved the ball down the field well with some nice passes and kept the defense off balance with his rushing ability. I guess it depends on your definition of Star.
    The "I must have been watching a different ____" thing is pretty tired. You disagree with me - totally fine!

What I hoped to see from Fajardo was an ability to make various situational throws. We all know he moves well and carries well. He did that and helped Whitaker to look like his old self. That's great! But... Fajardo didn't seem to read well or throw the ball well. He completed short passes, but I saw nothing to suggest that he could be special in the next year or two - which is all that matters in the CFL.

I haven't given up on him, but this was discouraging.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Let's not overstate how well Fajardo did.
    Well a lot of his passes were off target, even some completions. He was obviously tight and could have used more practice reps. But he lifted up the team as soon as he went in. That run where he destroyed the DB at the sidelines was a statement maker. The O-Line and the running game got better when Fajardo came in. Whitaker is perfectly suited for the read option, so is Coombs, we could suddenly have a running game on our hands.

But Shatto is right, the play where that stiff Paden dropped the TD pass was a truly spectacular big-time football play. Spin-move from the rush, outrun three guys, unloading with something on it while running full speed to the left, threading the needle to an open guy in the endzone. There's not too many QBs on the planet that can make that play.

Fajardo's got tons of room for improvement, but i'm surprised that anybody would be "dismayed" by his performance.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I'm dismayed by your lack of perspective, Rich.

*Thoroughly* dismayed.

Seriously though - do you think Fajardo's performance has shown that he might reliably "put the ball where it needs to be" in the near future? I don't see it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The first "called-back TD" came well after several whistles had been blown. I'm fairly sure Mtl was not playing at full speed and intensity given that the play was clearly dead. Let's not overstate how well Fajardo did.
    I agree with this. Fajardo threw for a whole 70 yards in the second half. You can't win games in this league if you can't throw the football. Hopefully Fajardo's passing prowess can improve over time as I like the other attributes that he brings to the table. Although the offence was better in the second half, that kind of offence isn't sustainable in this league. That is why Lefevour has never amounted to much.

I have never been a fan of Mathews but was willing to give him another chance. I know that he is only 25 or so but this is his fourth year in the league and I expected something better than what I saw in the first half of this game.

The defence looked very good and kept the Argos in this game but I can't think of one big play that the Argos made tonight on offence, defence or special teams. The longest play on offence IIRC was a 30 yard run by Whitaker.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think this game actually raised more questions in regards to the young Argo QB's than it answered.
    It's only one game but the "QB of the future" may not in fact currently be on the roster which in itself is concerning and confirms what many if not most suspected when this season started....it's Ricky Ray or bust this season (and maybe next).
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Seriously though - do you think Fajardo's performance has shown that he might reliably "put the ball where it needs to be" in the near future? I don't see it.
    Put it this way: I will be disappointed if he doesn't show any improvement in his next start. I can't believe people won't cut him a little slack. He's got some kinks to work out for sure, but remember he took the MINORITY of reps in practice this week. The guy has never taken starter's reps with this team. He should have taken them this week. By giving Mathews starter's reps and playing him for a half, the Professor made a serious mistake that may have cost this team a win IMO.

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Sign Manziel!
    Seriously though Fajardo showed enough that he's worth a look.
    But that isn't the Argos way. Other than Bishop, who have we really developed?
    Argos will stick with Ray, then bring in another veteran after he's done.
    The east is so poor this year we can pretty much coast til the playoffs.
    I think Fajardo has the tools to be a cfl qb, but I don't see the Argos going with a young qb as anything other than a temp solution while Ray is injured.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
    Sign Manziel!
    Seriously though Fajardo showed enough that he's worth a look.
    But that isn't the Argos way. Other than Bishop, who have we really developed?
    Argos will stick with Ray, then bring in another veteran after he's done.
    The east is so poor this year we can pretty much coast til the playoffs.
    I think Fajardo has the tools to be a cfl qb, but I don't see the Argos going with a young qb as anything other than a temp solution while Ray is injured.
    Collaros and Harris.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Put it this way: I will be disappointed if he doesn't show any improvement in his next start. I can't believe people won't cut him a little slack. He's got some kinks to work out for sure, but remember he took the MINORITY of reps in practice this week. The guy has never taken starter's reps with this team. He should have taken them this week. By giving Mathews starter's reps and playing him for a half, the Professor made a serious mistake that may have cost this team a win IMO.
    People are just voicing their opinions based on watching him play, don't think anyone is writing the guy off just yet.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Matthews played pretty crappy as most expected, and while Fajardo can run around ane move the ball, he's not much of a passer IMO. He may develop into one if Trestman actually works with him, instead of giving Ray pretty much all the reps, and even splitting reps with Matthews, and he may not. Neither QB looks like the future as of right now, and the team is still keeping around Prukop and Bethel Thompson, so I wouldn't go so far as saying that the "QB of the future" isn't on the roster currently.

Personally I really like Prukop, but he needs to be developed, even if developed he may not be the guy either. One thing is for sure IMO, Trestman needs to change his ways, and ensure that he develops the next QB after Ray - we all know what happened in Montreal with Calvillo getting all the reps and playing every game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    We all see things from our own perspective. Only time will tell whose opinion is more appropriate but let's agree to accept the value of each other's opinion. At least we all seem to agree that Matthews performed poorly. Personally, as I have stated before, I thought Fajardo played very well, as he did what any good QB does and took advantage of what the opposition gave him. The 2 recalled TD's and the dropped ball in the end zone were hardly his fault and with better luck, IMO, he could have pulled this game out of the fire.

The next game against Montreal is a big one. Hopefully Ray will be fit for the game. Would be nice to see a good crowd for this game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Level
    I like what I saw from Fajardo and I'm willing to give him a chance to start, like I was with Mathews before overly criticizing. Passing needs to be improved, of course, and you can see why they went with Mathews because of this. Too bad Mathews couldn't take advantage of this opportunity. Cody's final roll out, throw to the endzone reminded me of Dunigan.

The Argos didn't do themselves too many favors last night. Poorly timed penalties and dropped balls made life very hard for an unexperienced QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Personally I really like Prukop, but he needs to be developed.
    Admittedly, I don't know a lot about Prukop, except from game action. He's pretty darn fast and a good athlete. He made a great ST tackle last night.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Both Mathews and Fajardo were not impressive. In terms of back-up QB's these guys are about 50-60% as good as Harris and Collaros were as Argo backup QB's.

The latter were able to step up and win games when Ray was injured.

Mathews and Fajardo will only lose games, as they are not ready, and frankly not good enough.

Only hope the Argo's have to make the playoffs is a healthy Ricky Ray
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I guess not surprising that some people are prepared to write two QBs off based on half a game each. Neither guy has had anything like a chance to be "the guy." We know Trestman gives his No. 1 QB all the reps in practice (a method I fervently disagree with), but this past week the two guys apparently split reps. If one of them gets a sustained period of all/most reps AND plays a few full games, we'll have a better idea of what they are capable of.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    I'd suggest that Fajardo will NEVER be a starting QB on a Grey Cup winning team. Mathews will float around the league, never be a full time starter.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Admittedly, I don't know a lot about Prukop, except from game action. He's pretty darn fast and a good athlete. He made a great ST tackle last night.
    Prukop is atheltic and a decent arm IMO, could be someone worth developing. That TD pass he threw in the pre season was a thing of beauty, although one pass does not make a qb lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Both Mathews and Fajardo were not impressive. In terms of back-up QB's these guys are about 50-60% as good as Harris and Collaros were as Argo backup QB's.

The latter were able to step up and win games when Ray was injured.

Mathews and Fajardo will only lose games, as they are not ready, and frankly not good enough.

Only hope the Argo's have to make the playoffs is a healthy Ricky Ray
    Agreed on Matthews, TBH I see no point in wasting time on him. Jury is still out on Fajardo and the others IMO.
    I guess not surprising that some people are prepared to write two QBs off based on half a game each. Neither guy has had anything like a chance to be "the guy." We know Trestman gives his No. 1 QB all the reps in practice (a method I fervently disagree with), but this past week the two guys apparently split reps. If one of them gets a sustained period of all/most reps AND plays a few full games, we'll have a better idea of what they are capable of.
    Yep, maybe still too early, but Matthews has been up here in the CFL for awhile, IMO should have progressed at least a little. You and I agree on Trestmans practice method.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Well a lot of his passes were off target, even some completions. He was obviously tight and could have used more practice reps. But he lifted up the team as soon as he went in. That run where he destroyed the DB at the sidelines was a statement maker. The O-Line and the running game got better when Fajardo came in. Whitaker is perfectly suited for the read option, so is Coombs, we could suddenly have a running game on our hands.

But Shatto is right, the play where that stiff Paden dropped the TD pass was a truly spectacular big-time football play. Spin-move from the rush, outrun three guys, unloading with something on it while running full speed to the left, threading the needle to an open guy in the endzone. There's not too many QBs on the planet that can make that play.

Fajardo's got tons of room for improvement, but i'm surprised that anybody would be "dismayed" by his performance.

Agreed - Rich - that one play by Fajardo where he escaped, was on the run and threw a strike in the end-zone (dropped by Paden - this stiff plays while Noel or Jones sit on the bench ???) was a really nice QB play that shows the potential this guy has.

Would have been nice (and smarter) to see what Fajardo could have done with a full week of starter reps in practice; but oh well, the coaching staff is always right and they wanted a more experienced QB with more "arm strength" i guess.

IF Trestman is such a sharp offensive coach, he should be able to develop a game plan for a mobile, scrambling QB - it opens up the run game more for a quality back like Whitaker or Coombs with some carries, and the D backs worrying about coming up to stop a running QB should open up some deep passing game - a run game supplemented by plenty of medium to long bomb passing attack - love to see what that could do. But, IMO - a lot of CFL offensive coaching "thinkers" have little to no use for an applied ground game and are also afraid of deep passing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The "I must have been watching a different ____" thing is pretty tired. You disagree with me - totally fine!

What I hoped to see from Fajardo was an ability to make various situational throws. We all know he moves well and carries well. He did that and helped Whitaker to look like his old self. That's great! But... Fajardo didn't seem to read well or throw the ball well. He completed short passes, but I saw nothing to suggest that he could be special in the next year or two - which is all that matters in the CFL.

I haven't given up on him, but this was discouraging.
    If it's tired so be it. Thanks but I'll continue to speak as I see fit, within the rules of the site. I liked what I saw from Fajardo and if Ray isn't healthy I hope that he gets his First start on Saturday.