Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    There is a lot of truth to what Lawless says. The CFL could operate without TO but at a reduced income from TV. When Lawless says the "other eight teams" would have to run the Argos if Braley walks away, is he sure BC would kick in money to do so. Unless Cohon has the power to use TV money from the other teams to prop up the Argos some of the other owners might not be that willing to subsidize them. However, Braley could be thinking it would be better to a one 8th owner short term instead of footing the full bill.
    To me it looks like a standoff between Braley and MLSE to see who will blink first. Maybe if former CFL Commissioner John Tory gets in as Mayor of TO ad Mark Cohon becomes CEO of MLSE things will get ironed out. A lot of maybe's but we can Hope.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    There is a lot of truth to what Lawless says. The CFL could operate without TO but at a reduced income from TV. When Lawless says the "other eight teams" would have to run the Argos if Braley walks away, is he sure BC would kick in money to do so. Unless Cohon has the power to use TV money from the other teams to prop up the Argos some of the other owners might not be that willing to subsidize them. However, Braley could be thinking it would be better to a one 8th owner short term instead of footing the full bill.
    To me it looks like a standoff between Braley and MLSE to see who will blink first. Maybe if former CFL Commissioner John Tory gets in as Mayor of TO ad Mark Cohon becomes CEO of MLSE things will get ironed out. A lot of maybe's but we can Hope.
    You would think he'd have to just go along with what the board room says/does. It's sort of a conflict of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    I suggested a temporary stadium only if the BMO relocation fell through, to keep the franchise in the GTA while a permanent stadium is completed. The Lions and Whitecaps could have left Vancouver and played in Bellingham or Kelowna, like the Ticats did in Guelph, but the province decided to build a temporary facility. Not the solution but a stopgap measure.

Empire Field had many endzone seats because the province chose a European company as the builder which specialized in soccer stadiums, where they often have lots of endzone seating. The soccer Whitecaps also shared the temp stadium while the $560M upgrade to B.C. Place was completed.

The Argos could instead choose a football-specific design with mostly sideline seating if they (or the league, city or province) are required to provide a temp stadium to keep the Argos in the GTA. I'd also suggest the Argos choose wider seats, the Empire Field seats were obviously designed for more-compact European derriere's, not the more expansive N.A. model.

Contrary to Brunt's repeated assertion that the Argos are "worthless", if the Argos franchise moved to another city (London, Quebec, Halifax) this would save the new city a $15-$20M expansion fee, plus they'd be getting a fully stocked-team, management and equipment. That has value. Just like a football franchise which has been in continuous operation for 142 years, has value, even if they've lost money for the past 25 years playing out of a shopping mall.

Comes down to the end result of who runs the media in Toronto. They are "worth-less" than they should be because of a series of shooting themselves in the foot, and consistent media negativity from one of the controlling entities

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Just a guess but Brunt's selling out to Rogers has to do with that magazine (does anyone actually buy it) Brunt took his payout from the Globe and , as a serious writer, obviously he would want a creative outlet.
    If I recall way back when he waxed nostaligic on the radio about Sports Illustrated from previous decades when serious writers wrote long thoughtful articles (as opposed to the short, glib and more visual magaiznes of today).

I beleive the magazine aspect won over Brunt and as an employee he has to toe the corporate line and that is fight TSN and their big monopoly which is the CFL and run them out of Canada' biggest sports market.
    Many people get it free with their Rogers subscription. Not so strange that it's full Rogers advertisements. Another source for shifting money around in the company

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffvillain View Post
    This is the sad truth for the majority in the GTA. Most people in the area only will go to things if they are the "best of the best". It's why attendance for OHL games in city's like Brampton were so low that the team had to leave. It's the same reason why TFC has to bring in guys like Jermain Defoe to bump up ticket sales. It's the same situation that faces the Argos day in and day out.

Most people want to see the highest level or don't want to go at all.
    Toronto is a leafs town, and an event town. Not a sports town.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    To me it looks like a standoff between Braley and MLSE to see who will blink first.
    Why on earth would MLSE ever "blink"? As I've written before, the Argos and the CFL need MLSE a hell of a lot more than MLSE needs the Argos and the CFL. Now that the Bills are not coming to Toronto, in fact, MLSE has absolutely no "need" for the Argos. Sure, as part of that empire the Argos would likely become profitable and maybe add $1 million or so to the bottom line, but I suspect MLSE barely gets out of bed for a mere million.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/p...r-12---5pm.mp3
    Starts at about the 16:43 mark.

IMO Rogers and it's employee's are coming off as bitter, because they couldn't get the Bills, thus ending any shot of the NFL coming to Canada.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Right now the only one you can blame for this situation is Braley. His greed has set the wheels in motion for the Argos to start running downhill and at this point we're almost at the bottom. From what I understand he wanted all profits from any future Toronto held Grey Cups after selling the team. That is greed plain and simple and now until he removes his greedy head from his dumb ass we will be sinking before swimming. Add on the fact that we will have ZERO stadium in a few short years and this situation is one thing and one thing only, GRIM!!
    As Paul said, there is no sugar daddy willing to drop huge bucks down for the team and build it a shiny new stadium.
    The Argos fans are out there big time but way too many have just opted to sit and watch games at home. Anyone who attended Grey Cup 100 saw the best of the best from Argonaut fans. From every Calgary offensive down the place was rocking as Calgary broke their huddle right up to the end of the play. Calgary didn't stand a chance. For whatever multiple reasons too many Argo fans just don't make the trip to Rogers Centre but the fans are still alive and well.

The biggest city in Canada could be without pro football soon.

On a side note I'm done with the criminal league, NFL. Now Peterson beats his son with a stick and somehow is proud of his actions. A four year old beat with a stick. All clASS!!!! We might live very close to the US but we are such a better country is so many ways. The US just can't get out of it's own way and grow up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:
    Level
    Former Argo President Brain Cooper was on PTS with Bob McCown and Ken Reid at 4pm today. Cooper is convinced that the Argos will find a solution to their stadium problem and McCown is convinced that the CFL will once again become a 8 team league after the Argos fold. Ken Reid is also very negative about the CFL. I don't know how to post a link to this but I know it is there since I just spent 30 minutes listening to it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I saw it. McCown is now officially senile. That is all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofandave View Post
    Former Argo President Brain Cooper was on PTS with Bob McCown and Ken Reid at 4pm today. Cooper is convinced that the Argos will find a solution to their stadium problem and McCown is convinced that the CFL will once again become a 8 team league after the Argos fold. Ken Reid is also very negative about the CFL. I don't know how to post a link to this but I know it is there since I just spent 30 minutes listening to it.
    I heard most of it too. Brian Cooper really took it on the chin as McCown and Reid bombarded him with all these negative opinions about the Argo's but he stood in there and defended the Argos staunchly. I thought it was admirable for Brian Cooper to do that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Anyone who thinks that the CFL would let the Argos fold is delusional.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    McClown is an idiot and so are most of the those on Sportsnet who are so over the top anti CFL and Argos.
    I have my own personal boycott, same and except the dome of course, for anything that is Rogers owned.
    Anyone else here doing the same?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Also interesting is how much media attention the Argos are getting all of a sudden. PTS, TSN, the Star and Sportsnet. What up with that?

New Fan
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Hopefully the old adage of bad publicity is better than no publicity holds true and we get some better crowds down the stretch.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    McClown is an idiot and so are most of the those on Sportsnet who are so over the top anti CFL and Argos.
    I have my own personal boycott, same and except the dome of course, for anything that is Rogers owned.
    I ditched Rogers wireless service in 2003 because it sucks in western Canada but I'm particularly boycotting them for their anti CFL stance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Definitely ..... Except for my seasons .... I try not to buy much during the games as well.
    And I berate people for having Rogers products because if you despise the CFL then you are not a friend of Canadian culture...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    When will folks here stop whining. Braley is funding the team. Stuff is going on with MLSE and BMO ... just not on the timetable Argo fans are happy with. Rogers has said that they will not kick the Argos out of Skydome if they have nowhere else to go. (Plus the guys who want to kill the CFL also offered the Cats a place to play on a Tuesday night when it looked like Labour Day would not happen)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    When will folks here stop whining. Braley is funding the team. Stuff is going on with MLSE and BMO ... just not on the timetable Argo fans are happy with. Rogers has said that they will not kick the Argos out of Skydome if they have nowhere else to go. (Plus the guys who want to kill the CFL also offered the Cats a place to play on a Tuesday night when it looked like Labour Day would not happen)
    Now, now let's not let facts get in the way of the Rogers is evil and Bell is godly narrative that most posters on this site espouse.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Brian Cooper came across as someone who knows what is really going on with the Argos. As a former President of the Argos he know only too well what
    the cash flow would be and what it would take to break even. Reid comes across as a younger generation no nothing. McCown I think knows better but just likes to stir the pot. Braley isn't going to throw the keys on the table and when all the posturing is done the Argos will be in BMO field. MLSE after all doesn't own the place and too much Government money went into it in the first place to let Rogers get away with trying to shut the Argos out of BMO. I personally think BMO is a cheap high school like place, but that's all there is available. I remember walking by on a windy day going to the Royal. The place was empty but the stands looked to be swaying with the wind. How structurally sound is that place.
    I am surprised at McCown and his over the top rants about the Argos. He generally marches to his own drummer and normally couldn't care less if his bosses weren't in lock step to what he would say on air. There has to be another angle. Maybe Bob doesn't like Braley and how he treated his buddies C & S when they tried owning the Argos. Doesn't like the fact Braley made alot of money on the Grey Cups in Toronto and got Gov't money to boot. But this to shall pass and IMO the Argos will still be here long after McCown is off the air waves.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Post Audio from yesterday's Prime Time Sports

Quote Originally Posted by argofandave View Post
    Here's the Audio from yesterday:

Listen Prime Time Sports - September 17 - 5pm
    Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun joined Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt to talk about John Gibbons, Alex Anthopoulos and the Blue Jays while our very own Arash Madani came on to talk about the Argos.

Listen Prime Time Sports - September 17 - (4 pm)
    Host Of Sportsnet Connected Ken Reid and Brian Cooper President of S&E Sponsorship Group joins the bobcat to talk about the dismay of the Argos, whats wrong with the franchise and the what the future will hold for North America's oldest professional sport

Arash Madani comes on around the 35 Minute Mark of the 5 PM Link.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    There has to be another angle. Maybe Bob doesn't like Braley and how he treated his buddies C & S when they tried owning the Argos. Doesn't like the fact Braley made alot of money on the Grey Cups in Toronto and got Gov't money to boot. But this to shall pass and IMO the Argos will still be here long after McCown is off the air waves.
    I think that you have absolutely hit the nail on the head.

As for Brian Cooper, I am very surprised to hear how he defended the Argos. Don't know why I feel this way, but I always looked at him as somewhat of a phony. I wonder if he is lobbying for the Commissioiners job.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I have my own personal boycott, same and except the dome of course, for anything that is Rogers owned. Anyone else here doing the same?
    Same. Couldn't be happier with the switch.