Let me preface my response with the following: I have nothing against Chad Kelly. He had a very successful season, especially as a first year starter in the CFL, which is quite rare.

Chad Kelly shouldn't have won the award for MOP. To me, this is one of the weakest selections ever. I feel that he wasn't even the best player at his position, whereas Brady Oliveira was. As Paul Woods and Argo Ravi noted, Kelly regressed over the last half/third of the season. I would describe his performance during this time as "pedestrian."

Historically speaking , Kelly's 23 TD passes is the lowest amongst all MOP winning QB'S (in a full season) since the advent of the 18 game schedule in 1986. His passing yardage total (4,123) is the 2nd lowest ever. Here are some of Kelly's ranks this past season:

Passing Yards: 4th
Completion %: 4th
Yards Per Attempt: 1st
TD Passes: 3rd
QB Rating: 2nd
300 Yard Games: 4th

I realize that stats aren't everything. That being said, these numbers don't scream MOP to me. Kelly's selection will make good fodder for those who feel that the CFL shows favourtism towards the Argos.

On an unrelated note, I feel that Montreal's improbable Grey Cup title is reminiscent of the Argos winning in 2017. Personally, it takes a little bit of the sting out the disastrous Eastern Final.