Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Caught some of the Penn State/Minnesota Big Ten game today. Three Canadians on Penn State and two on Minnesota. Penn State's DE Daniel Joseph 6'3 260 wasn't in the game that I saw. He is listed at number 10 on the CFL fall draft list. Saw him play earlier this fall and IMO he was just ok, using Randy's assessment of Reimer. Penn State also has a couple of Soph's in LB Jesse Luketa 6'3 247 and free safety Jonathan Sutherland 6' 200. Luketa is a good back up who has started a game this year and Sutherland is the starting free safety for Penn. They played well and of course have two more years of eligibility.
    Minnesota have two Canadian graduate Seniors who transferred there for their last year of eligibility. CB Ben St. Juste 6'3 190 was the starting right corner back for the Gophers. He played well having a couple of good pass knock downs but he wasn't tested as often as the LCB. I don't know why he isn't listed in the top 20 for the 2020 CFL draft.
    PK Michael Turbutt 6'190 only shows one convert this year, and he wasn't doing any of the kicking today. His Bio from previous years shows he is 3 for 3 on field goals over 50 yards. 5 for 11 for 40 to 49 yards. 5 for 9 for 30 to 39 yards, and 4 for 4 for 20 to 29 yards out. Will probably be a later round pick.
    As I was really focusing on watching the Canadian players I didn't watch the other positions as closely, but one player for Minnesota caught my eye as a CFL type. DT Sam Renner 6'3 275. Too light for the NFL but about right for the CFL. Reminded me a bit of Dylan Wynn.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Caught some of the Penn State/Minnesota Big Ten game today. Three Canadians on Penn State and two on Minnesota. Penn State's DE Daniel Joseph 6'3 260 wasn't in the game that I saw. He is listed at number 10 on the CFL fall draft list. Saw him play earlier this fall and IMO he was just ok, using Randy's assessment of Reimer. Penn State also has a couple of Soph's in LB Jesse Luketa 6'3 247 and free safety Jonathan Sutherland 6' 200. Luketa is a good back up who has started a game this year and Sutherland is the starting free safety for Penn. They played well and of course have two more years of eligibility.
    Minnesota have two Canadian graduate Seniors who transferred there for their last year of eligibility. CB Ben St. Juste 6'3 190 was the starting right corner back for the Gophers. He played well having a couple of good pass knock downs but he wasn't tested as often as the LCB. I don't know why he isn't listed in the top 20 for the 2020 CFL draft.
    PK Michael Turbutt 6'190 only shows one convert this year, and he wasn't doing any of the kicking today. His Bio from previous years shows he is 3 for 3 on field goals over 50 yards. 5 for 11 for 40 to 49 yards. 5 for 9 for 30 to 39 yards, and 4 for 4 for 20 to 29 yards out. Will probably be a later round pick.
    As I was really focusing on watching the Canadian players I didn't watch the other positions as closely, but one player for Minnesota caught my eye as a CFL type. DT Sam Renner 6'3 275. Too light for the NFL but about right for the CFL. Reminded me a bit of Dylan Wynn.

According to the Gophers site - St Just still has 2 years of eligibility left there - so he won`t be CFL draftable till then. Sounds like a good CFL prospect for sure though.

As far as kickers in the upcoming draft - the CFL Scouting Bureau had the kicker Molson (UCLA i think) listed in their initial top 20; but seems to me Western dual kicker Mark Legghio - just outstanding place-kicking & punting numbers this season, should blow him away. That initial Bureau listing was heavy on NCAA Canucks but a number of them are not doing much in US college ball this season = maybe shouldn`t be rated near that high. A bunch of U Sports stars should rise up in subsequent rankings - like DTs Andrew S-Spauding (McGill) and Cam Lawson (Queens) - both Conference award winners this year),and a few receivers - Brocku (Manitoba), Hastings (Acadia), Hall (Laurier), Klassen (Sask Huskies)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    According to the Gophers site - St Just still has 2 years of eligibility left there - so he won`t be CFL draftable till then. Sounds like a good CFL prospect for sure though.

As far as kickers in the upcoming draft - the CFL Scouting Bureau had the kicker Molson (UCLA i think) listed in their initial top 20; but seems to me Western dual kicker Mark Legghio - just outstanding place-kicking & punting numbers this season, should blow him away. That initial Bureau listing was heavy on NCAA Canucks but a number of them are not doing much in US college ball this season = maybe shouldn`t be rated near that high. A bunch of U Sports stars should rise up in subsequent rankings - like DTs Andrew S-Spauding (McGill) and Cam Lawson (Queens) - both Conference award winners this year),and a few receivers - Brocku (Manitoba), Hastings (Acadia), Hall (Laurier), Klassen (Sask Huskies)
    Yah, Ben St. Juste eligibility is kind of mixed up. He is listed on the Minnesota roster as a Senior but apparently he has 2 or 3 years of College sports eligibility left. He went to Michigan in 2016 but I guess he didn't play much because of injury but he already graduated so under the new NCAA rules of a few years ago, he could transfer and play right away instead of sitting out a year. Don't know why he would want to keep playing College football when he could get paid to play a better brand of football in the CFL. The NFL would still find him if he is good enough.

Interesting about Western kicker Mark Legghio. Pfeffer is to inconsistent IMO.
    The UCLA kicker Molsen is strictly a place kicker it seems and doesn't seem to have much range past 45 yards but he must be very reliable for the CFL scouts to have him rated at number 12 in the top 20 list. Sounds like he would be an upgrade over Crapigna.