Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
I didn't know where else to post this, but this thread seemed appropriate with the connection to TFC through Bill Manning.

Anyway, not sure who else saw it, but the Toronto Star published a small article on MLS wages in Friday's sports section. Apparently TFC has the top two earners in the league. Sebastian Giovinco is #1 at $7.1 million, and Michael Bradley is second at $6.5 million. Jozy Altidor sits at 7th place making $5 million. So that's almost $20 million ( I assume in U.S. dollars) for just three players. Each one earning more than the entire Argos payroll put together. That blew me away. Although the stadium is basically full for every game, those revenues are all in Canadian dollars. When you add that the TV ratings are not great..... how much are TFC losing? And with better TV ratings that the CFL enjoys, how much more of a return would MLSE get if they invest more in the Argos?
Steve Simmons wrote today that Toronto FC pays out $26 million in salaries while the team they are playing Saturday night, the New England Revolution, have a total payroll of $6 million. I don't understand how the MLS has such a payroll discrepancy as that. I can't imagine that the league would be able to stay alive if every team spent like Toronto FC does. Further, I can't see how TFC makes any money but I guess that MLSE is okay with that.