PDA

View Full Version : Should we expect changes with NFL cuts coming shortly?

1argoholic
08-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Hard to figure out with Barker as I know he doesn't seem to be an airlift type guy. Perhaps if any of our draft picks get cut and give up on the NFL dream. As a fan I'd say it would be nice to see a real big strong fast go to deep threat receiver. Maybe we have that in Mann. Who knows but it's always an interesting time of year.

You know Obie will be bringing some in. haha.

ArgoRavi
08-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Hard to figure out with Barker as I know he doesn't seem to be an airlift type guy. Perhaps if any of our draft picks get cut and give up on the NFL dream. As a fan I'd say it would be nice to see a real big strong fast go to deep threat receiver. Maybe we have that in Mann. Who knows but it's always an interesting time of year.

You know Obie will be bringing some in. haha.

One of the interesting changes to the league over the last few years is that you rarely see CFL teams picking up NFL cuts and just plopping them into their lineup for the next game like we used to see in the 1970s and 1980s. Usually, when NFL cuts are picked up, it is mostly with an eye on getting them acclimated to the Canadian game so that they will be ready for training camp the following season. With teams already having anywhere from 60-75 players in their camp throughout the current season who will already know the system, teams will instead look to improve from within rather than with NFL cuts. For example, when you look at the Argos' receiving corps, the likes of Mann, Rambo or Demario Ballard will be looked at first this season before any NFL cuts. In other words, we will see some NFL cuts in Toronto when the practice rosters are expanded from 7 to 12 in a few weeks but don't expect to see any of those players make a contribution this season. The exception would be any Canadian players like Tyler Holmes or Joel Reinders who could draw onto the active roster although not likely become starters this season.

paulwoods13
08-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Jock Climie just said he was released by the Vikings. Does anyone know if he is a pure FA or does he still have an option year owing to the Lions?

I assume he'll end up back in B.C. but if he's a free agent, there could be a bidding war. The guy was dominant the past two years.

OV Argo
08-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Jock Climie just said he was released by the Vikings. Does anyone know if he is a pure FA or does he still have an option year owing to the Lions?

I assume he'll end up back in B.C. but if he's a free agent, there could be a bidding war. The guy was dominant the past two years.

I believe he would still be BC property; a nice addition to any CFL team probably; but Bighilll for the Lions this year has been an outstanding replacement IMO - arguably as good as Elimimiam was last year; how would they find room for both of these excellent MLBs?

ArgoRavi
08-25-2012, 06:36 PM

I thought that he was a FA but apparently he is, like Jerome Messam, an option year guy so both the Esks and Lions will soon likely have some tough decisions to make.

1argoholic
08-25-2012, 06:46 PM
How do you take Bighill out of the lineup. Can you imagine both in there. Great he could be back in time for up to play them on Sept 15th.

ArgoRavi
08-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Just heard on TSN that Elimimian is expected to land a PR spot with the Vikings.

Gill The Thrill
08-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Just heard on TSN that Elimimian is expected to land a PR spot with the Vikings.

Not surprised that he could have a practice roster spot with the Vikes. He may not considered to be big enough to play in the NFL but he definitely has the quickness and speed to play there. The Vikings have a tendency to take these quick smaller guys on defense as they build there defence with speed in mind since they play indoors. Being a Vikings fan in the NFL, I get frustrated when I sometimes notice that they give up too many yards on the ground to teams that can really grind out the yards and wear out their defence.

The Vikings have always been a franchise which has respected CFL talent over the years and have brought in many players and coaches over the years...perhaps this is because their best coach and QB in the early days had CFL ties in Bud Grant and Joe Kapp, and that they've always realized that there is a talent pool there. It's also close to Manitoba, and Northern Ontario, so they're not so taken aback by the fact that people do play football in Canada and that there is a pro league. Some other teams don't even mention the pro Canadian experience that a player has, as if it's something that they should be ashamed of, but the Vikes always have...heck they even had Sean Salisbury as a starting QB after he'd won a Grey Cup in Winnipeg.

If they did'nt buy into all that overhype for Randall Cunningham and then Dante Culpepper, I would have love to have seen Flutie play there. He would not have choked like Cunningham did in the NFC championship with that 15-1 team...There is no way Flutie would have lost a big playoff game to a team QB'ed by Chris Chandler. He lost a playoff game to a Dan Marino team, but Chandler was no Marino...but I digress.

Gill The Thrill
08-26-2012, 03:56 AM
Airlift choppers have been sighted outside Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton and at Taylor Field in Regina. I would not be surprised if Hamilton just throws them in without merely a walk-through let alone a full practice with meetings...That's the Obie way...lol

gilthethrill
08-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Airlift choppers have been sighted outside Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton and at Taylor Field in Regina. I would not be surprised if Hamilton just throws them in without merely a walk-through let alone a full practice with meetings...That's the Obie way...lol

Na, Obie likes to throw big $$ at CFL FA every offseason. Hamilton seems to be lacking in the scouting department. Man, hard to believe the Riders, who looked amazing in week 1 are floundering like they are. Argos still have 4 games left this season with those 2 clubs.

paulwoods13
08-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Argos still have 4 games left this season with those 2 clubs.

Five, actually, gil -- three vs. Ham (last two at home) and both Sask games.

gilthethrill
08-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Five, actually, gil -- three vs. Ham (last two at home) and both Sask games.

As always Paul, accurate in your posts....I do like the Argos remaining schedule.

paulwoods13
08-26-2012, 10:15 AM
As always Paul, accurate in your posts....I do like the Argos remaining schedule.

It shapes up pretty well altho September is tough, with four of five games on the road (Ham, B,C., Mtl, Wpg). If we can beat Edm and split with Ham, we will be 6-4 heading into three consecutive road games. Four of the last five are at home, only one trip (to Sask) after Oct. 1.

Will
08-26-2012, 10:51 AM

What about Canad Inns Stadium in Winnipeg?

ArgoRavi
08-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Na, Obie likes to throw big $$ at CFL FA every offseason. Hamilton seems to be lacking in the scouting department. Man, hard to believe the Riders, who looked amazing in week 1 are floundering like they are. Argos still have 4 games left this season with those 2 clubs.

The Riders looked amazing in Week 1 because they were playing Hamilton. :D Seriously though, the Riders' offence has really only looked good against the Ticats this season. Furthermore, I wonder if the worst thing that could have happened to the Riders is starting 3-0. Nobody had this team pegged for anything better than third in the west and around a .500 record in pre-season predictions and that terrific start only boosted expectations. If someone told me prior to the season that the Riders would be 3-5 after 8 games, I would have said that that sounds about right. A few of us also predicted prior to this season that this would be a tough year for the Bombers so their 2-6 record is hardly surprising as well.

Invader
08-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Not surprised that he could have a practice roster spot with the Vikes. He may not considered to be big enough to play in the NFL but he definitely has the quickness and speed to play there. The Vikings have a tendency to take these quick smaller guys on defense as they build there defence with speed in mind since they play indoors.

If they did'nt buy into all that overhype for Randall Cunningham and then Dante Culpepper, I would have love to have seen Flutie play there. He would not have choked like Cunningham did in the NFC championship with that 15-1 team...There is no way Flutie would have lost a big playoff game to a team QB'ed by Chris Chandler. He lost a playoff game to a Dan Marino team, but Chandler was no Marino...but I digress.

Yep, it was unfortunate for Flutie not to get the opportunity to play in the NFL in his prime, he was nearly 36 when he left Toronto. Fortunately for us, we got to see Flutie perform his magic, up close and personal for many seasons! He got the rug pulled out from under him in Buffalo, then when he had the chance to finally lead his own team in San Diego...he played well but his skillset had eroded to the point he couldn't outrun the linemen anymore (very scary). Doug did show some playoff spark in Buffalo. With Rob Johnson surprisingly named the starter for the playoff game in Cleveland (he had one of the worst QB performances in NFL playoff history), Flutie came off the bench with only minutes remaining and moved the Bills down into scoring range...but no miracle win that day, they ran out of time only yards from the goalline...somebody forgot to call timeout? I forget the details, but Flutie should have been put in the game much earlier...or preferably started the game, like he had done all season.

With regards to Eliminian, he's a bit nicked up right now, so a stint on the practice squad might do him good. He has contacted the Lions but not sure how they could use him? Who would he replace off the Lions D? He's just too good for some NFL team not to pick up. Even as a special team ace you would think he'd be successful (if only to specialize at batting the ball out of the endzone in mid air or downing a rolling punt just at the right time to maximize inchage)?

1argoholic
08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
He could be a special teams demon.

Gill that makes at least three on us on here who are long suffering Vikings fans. Argofan87 is I believe as well. Not sure what to expect but I don't have high hopes.

AngeloV
08-26-2012, 04:58 PM

He definitely had a history of doing that in his time here. I wonder how much power Cortez has over player personnel though. I would bet he has a lot, or he wouldn't have taken the job.

Nob
08-26-2012, 07:07 PM
The Argos could resign Edawn Coughman again. He was cut by Seattle.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa.......I crack myself up at times......

1argoholic
08-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Edawn was last seen polishing his gun at Seatac Airport while waiting for his flight to Toronto.

AngeloV
08-26-2012, 11:17 PM
The Argos could resign Edawn Coughman again. He was cut by Seattle.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa.......I crack myself up at times......

Whatever. :bored:

He did a very stupid thing. That does not make him a bad person.

Nob
08-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Wasn't the issue with Edawn that he hated Toronto, and thought that he was too good for the CFL?

1argoholic
08-27-2012, 10:48 AM
That was part of it as well as he loved to take his gun everywhere like he was in the US. He liked to scare hotel workers in Montreal. haha. See you on an upcoming episode of Cops Edawn or To Serve And Protect. hahaha.

doubleblue
08-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Reinders cut today by the Giants. Will he finally try the CFL or keep hanging around down there waiting for a break. Got to think he is more interested in getting a year on the PR and a rookie salary next year instead of playing in the CFL for 40-50,000.

Argonauter
08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Its on the NFL transactions page.

gilthethrill
08-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Does he make up another Kijiji add or does he make his way to Toronto & probably an initial spot on the PR?

Nob
08-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Kijiji ad.....???

In other CFL related moves in the NFL :

Jason Medlock looks like he won the kicking competition in Carolina
Stevie Baggs put on the IR in Baltimore
John Chick put on the PUP list in Jax.

Didn't see anything on Minnesota's cuts for Tyler Holmes, and/or Austin Pasztor.

It might be worth a separate thread to follow NFL transactions that could impact CFL teams.

Nob
08-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Ps - I'm sure that Obie would have loved for Medlock to come back to the Cats. I can't imagine that they are thrilled with their kicking situation.

ArgoGabe22
08-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Reinders is toast. I'm so tired of this guy I don't even want him anymore.

Wobbler
08-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Didn't see anything on Minnesota's cuts for Tyler Holmes, and/or Austin Pasztor.
The Vikings made their first round of cuts on Saturday, ahead of the deadline.

Gill The Thrill
08-27-2012, 05:11 PM
He could be a special teams demon.

Gill that makes at least three on us on here who are long suffering Vikings fans. Argofan87 is I believe as well. Not sure what to expect but I don't have high hopes.Christian Ponder does make a Viking fan ponder but he needs a good line...The Vikes offensive line did remind me of the Argo offensive line in past years. Ponder has a nice touch on the ball and can run well enough to be a double threat...he's not the most spectacular of all the young QB's but he does everything well.

1argoholic
08-27-2012, 05:17 PM
I thing Ponder could be a good one as long as the O line improves. He does move surprisingly well.

ArgoRavi
08-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Reinders cut today by the Giants. Will he finally try the CFL or keep hanging around down there waiting for a break. Got to think he is more interested in getting a year on the PR and a rookie salary next year instead of playing in the CFL for 40-50,000.

Reinders needs to face the facts. The NFL isn't happening for him now, if ever. He has spent three years chasing that dream and really getting nowhere with it. If he wants to play pro football then Toronto is his best option.

gilthethrill
08-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Kijiji ad.....???

In other CFL related moves in the NFL :

Jason Medlock looks like he won the kicking competition in Carolina
Stevie Baggs put on the IR in Baltimore
John Chick put on the PUP list in Jax.

It might be worth a separate thread to follow NFL transactions that could impact CFL teams.

Yes Kijiji add....In 2010 when Reinders was released by Cleveland I believe, it was brought to our attention here on the forum, that instead of coming up to Toronto to resume his career, he took out an ad for employment on Kijiji....

KCargosfan
08-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Maybe Reinders will figure out he'll never make the NFL.

1argoholic
08-27-2012, 09:07 PM
I guess Thigpen looks great in Miami plus a few other CFLers from last year are playing great.

1argoholic
08-27-2012, 09:08 PM
I hope we can find a D lineman that can get to the qb and a receiver who can get open and even catch.

Ballstothewall
08-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Great story in the Sun about the 1,100 NFL players that will be cut by Sunday. The best part is below

The truth: On each team there'll be few, if any, surprises, at least among coaching staffs and front-office personnel.

According to ESPN's NFL business analyst Andrew Brandt, most teams knew their depth chart and final roster "well before" camps opened in late July.

"Sadly, many players have no chance of making the team no matter how well they perform," Brandt wrote last month.

Even, in most cases, the undrafted kid out of Backwater A&M who played the ass off a celebrated draftee or veteran.

"Front offices want their player acquisitions to succeed; these players are given every benefit of the doubt," Brandt asserted. "The sad part -- and this is the former agent in me coming out -- is that most released players have done everything the team asked them to do."

For naught.

KCargosfan
08-27-2012, 09:45 PM
We could use some more Oline help as evidenced tonight (post made with 2:05 left in 3rd).

Nob
08-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Simple - if Reinders isn't in the plans, and with this OL he should be, then trade his rights and get something.

Use the asset to improve the team. Either with the player, or get something for him on the market. If there are no takers then keep him.

All this is, assuming, that he gives up on the NFL dream and realizes that it is time to actually play ball.

Nob
08-27-2012, 11:21 PM
And receiver help....

Will
08-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Christian Ponder does make a Viking fan ponder but he needs a good line...The Vikes offensive line did remind me of the Argo offensive line in past years. Ponder has a nice touch on the ball and can run well enough to be a double threat...he's not the most spectacular of all the young QB's but he does everything well.

I'm not holding much hope this year. Still too many areas to address and who knows when Adrian will be ready to go.

1argoholic
08-28-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm not holding much hope for TO or the Vikes. GO Wolverines Go!!!

ArgoRavi
08-28-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm not holding much hope for TO or the Vikes. GO Wolverines Go!!!

Haven't the Argos exceeded your expectations though? I seem to recall that you were predicting a six or seven win season at best and they are already at four.

ArgoRavi
08-28-2012, 12:52 AM
And receiver help....

They will look at Mann, Rambo and Ballard before they look at any NFL cuts IMO. Those three already know the system. I do agree that they need to re-evaluate the receiving corps after another inconsistent performance tonight.

Wobbler
08-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Simple - if Reinders isn't in the plans, and with this OL he should be, then trade his rights and get something.
Yes, it's all very simple.

argolio
08-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Yes, it's all very simple.And by that I take it you mean we probably couldn't get much (if anything) for a guy who has shown no commitment to playing in the league.

Nob
08-28-2012, 01:32 AM
At some point he has to Shiite, or get off the pot. The NFL dream is dying rapidly. He's running out of options. See Mace, Corey. He too held on to the NFL hope, but came back to Canada. Ditto Bulke, another Canadian DL.

These guys eventually filter their way back to Canada.

1argoholic
08-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Maybe his head is too far up in the clouds as an exNFLer.

The Argos are who I thought they were! Remember that rant by NFL coach Green. Anyhow I thought we'd be ok but need time to grow. We have real issues and different ones weekly. I hope we can win another game. PLayoffs? Are you talking about Playoffs? haha I've been watching to many TSN Top 10's.

Ok back on track. These next games against Hamilton are huge. We could put some distance between or crap it and see our up and down season continue.

Gill The Thrill
08-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Maybe his head is too far up in the clouds as an exNFLer.

Ok back on track. These next games against Hamilton are huge. We could put some distance between or crap it and see our up and down season continue.

I think you mean Reinders head may be too far up his brains, meaning you know where as opposed to clouds. ...I`m using brains with the same context as the saying,``sitting on your brains`` if you know what I mean...lol.

The next 2 games are huge and very important in determining whether the Argos will finish in a position to host a playoff game...something they have not hosted in 5 years since they lost the `07 Eastern Final.

ArgoGabe22
08-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Emmanuel Arceneux has been released and is now a CFL FA. If he doesn't get a PR job anywhere with the cash we get from Boyd's release I say we go after him. We do have Mann, Ballard and Rambo, JFG all in the ranks but I think he would be better then the bunch especially Barnes.

1argoholic
08-31-2012, 09:09 PM
He's a good reciever and I could see this coming as he did squat in Minni. Somehow Wally will be able to sign him. I guess BC has unlimited funds and knows how to work the system.

gilthethrill
09-01-2012, 11:50 AM
When do NFL teams have to announce the PR? I am waiting to see what happens to the recently waived Tyler Holmes in Minnesota. He could possibly help immediatley.

Wobbler
09-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Last year the Vikings announced their PR on the 5th.

ArgoRavi
09-01-2012, 02:28 PM
When do NFL teams have to announce the PR? I am waiting to see what happens to the recently waived Tyler Holmes in Minnesota. He could possibly help immediatley.

They have to announce their PR by Tuesday, September 4th.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8