PDA

View Full Version : Future bright for CFL in Saskatoon, report says

Fungi
08-26-2012, 08:27 PM
That would be a great rivalry.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/story/2012/08/24/sk-sports-in-saskatoon-2035.html

Saskatoon can probably forget about a National Hockey League team, although a Canadian Football League franchise is still in the cards, a report about sports in 2035 says.

In a new analysis released Thursday, the Conference Board of Canada looked at the future of professional sports in Canada, including football, baseball, basketball and soccer.
It notes that Saskatoon's population is expect to grow to 430,000 by 2035, which makes a second CFL franchise for Saskatchewan feasible.
"We expect that Saskatchewan will post the fastest growth rate among Canada’s provinces over the next 25 years, so the province will eventually have both the population and the incomes required to support two CFL franchises," the report said. "What a rivalry Saskatoon versus Regina would be!"
It's something of a change of heart for the Conference Board, which last year poured cold water on the idea of two teams in the province — at least right now.
Then, it noted that although the Saskatchewan Roughriders are Regina-based, the team draws support from around the province, and adding a second team could divide a unique market.
Meanwhile, as far as hockey goes, Saskatoon is out of luck, the latest report says.
Even with 430,000 people, the city will still be too small to sustain an NHL franchise.
It's possible new NHL teams could be established in Quebec City and Hamilton, Ont., the report says.
By 2035, Toronto could also support a second NHL franchise, it adds

Gill The Thrill
08-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Just read the report and while there is some predictions that will obviously happen when you make so many...this whole report is general pollyanna.

First of all, Toronto can support a 2nd NHL team RIGHT NOW, and based on the ownership of the supposed NHL team, one could argue that it would be an actual NHL franchise that wants to win and not a corporate entity that owns a money-making mint that disguises itself as a sports organization that cares about winning.

Between an NFL team and a 2nd NHL team, the 2nd NHL team would win out because hockey is that much more popular than football...period. What Texas and Ohio are to Football, Ontario is too hockey.

As for the CFL, there is presently not enough owners to own all 8 teams unfortunately as 2 are owned by one individual. Who will be owning these teams and who will be building these stadiums. I would just be happy to have a short term 10 year plan and see 2 more teams in the East,....with Ottawa and either Moncton or Halifax.

These studies are always a crapshoot which is why I call it pollyanna....so many things can occurr, the market will probably crash even further, contrary to popular belief the economy is not really recovering and more regulation and supposed govt stimulation in both the states and Canada will delay recovery, but only help the big banks that are supposedly ``too big to fail``.....that`s another way of saying ....to heck with the people (electorate) and small business....but let`s bail out my friends on Wall ST or Bay St. Don`t get me wrong, I`m not an occupyer as I don`t believe in the welfare economy, both social and corporate welfare, but believe in competition which is promoted by the free market of having the marketplace dictate which businesses, big or small, fail and which ones succeed, not government regulation and legislated bailouts....The Canadian banks have not done what the US banks have done, but you could bet they`d probably to do the same if they were facing the same inevitabilities that the US banks and lenders were....this is why there is a fear of rising interest rates in Canada.

It is for these reasons that a study like this should be viewed with a grain of salt imo.

1argoholic
08-29-2012, 11:57 PM
As I mentioned on another posting of this topic that just because there might be the population doesn't mean any of this will happen. Canada is being populated with folks from cricket and soccer playing nations. You'll se a profession Canadian Cricket League before some of this other stuff happens. It's not like forth or fifth gereration Canadians are having 6 kids to populate the country and they are all raised as fans of North American sport. Just in our ten years in Duncan I can't believe the new Canadians moving to Duncan from Mexico, Argentina and the like and they have a strong intercultural society here. Blows me away.

KCargosfan
08-30-2012, 01:10 AM
Just read the report and while there is some predictions that will obviously happen when you make so many...this whole report is general pollyanna.

First of all, Toronto can support a 2nd NHL team RIGHT NOW, and based on the ownership of the supposed NHL team, one could argue that it would be an actual NHL franchise that wants to win and not a corporate entity that owns a money-making mint that disguises itself as a sports organization that cares about winning.

Between an NFL team and a 2nd NHL team, the 2nd NHL team would win out because hockey is that much more popular than football...period. What Texas and Ohio are to Football, Ontario is too hockey.

As for the CFL, there is presently not enough owners to own all 8 teams unfortunately as 2 are owned by one individual. Who will be owning these teams and who will be building these stadiums. I would just be happy to have a short term 10 year plan and see 2 more teams in the East,....with Ottawa and either Moncton or Halifax.

These studies are always a crapshoot which is why I call it pollyanna....so many things can occurr, the market will probably crash even further, contrary to popular belief the economy is not really recovering and more regulation and supposed govt stimulation in both the states and Canada will delay recovery, but only help the big banks that are supposedly ``too big to fail``.....that`s another way of saying ....to heck with the people (electorate) and small business....but let`s bail out my friends on Wall ST or Bay St. Don`t get me wrong, I`m not an occupyer as I don`t believe in the welfare economy, both social and corporate welfare, but believe in competition which is promoted by the free market of having the marketplace dictate which businesses, big or small, fail and which ones succeed, not government regulation and legislated bailouts....The Canadian banks have not done what the US banks have done, but you could bet they`d probably to do the same if they were facing the same inevitabilities that the US banks and lenders were....this is why there is a fear of rising interest rates in Canada.

It is for these reasons that a study like this should be viewed with a grain of salt imo.

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8