PDA

View Full Version : Joel Reinders Agrees To Terms With Argos

ArgoGabe22
08-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Still not sold on the guy, has anyone even seen him play? I know he gets NFL shots but he only played like 8 games in college.

David William Naylor ‏<s>@</s>TSNDaveNaylor (https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor) Cut by New York Giants this week, OL Joel Reinders has agreed to terms with the Toronto Argonauts. 2010 draft pick comes home. #cfl#argos

gilthethrill
08-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I honestly never thought he would play in the CFL. How does he fit in? I realize he had some NFL pre-season experience, but expecting him to come in & contribute other than short yardage may be asking a lot. Perhaps he is still a project?

doubleblue
08-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Saw him play in the Giants second game this year. Played RT and looked like he has had some coaching on pass blocking. His man didn't get to the QB, but of course it was probably a DE that won't make the NFL either. I think he can develop into a good CFL tackle, he seems to have good feet and long arms. So along with his size (6'7 325) the Coaches have a lot to work with. Those guys don't grow on trees.

Still surprised he signed this quick.

Gill The Thrill
08-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Still not sold on the guy, has anyone even seen him play? I know he gets NFL shots but he only played like 8 games in college.
At least his experience playing in an offensive line was at Waterloo, a Canadian University. That may bode well as the one yd from the defence make the technique of an offensive lineman in Canadian Football probably a lot different than playing OL in American ball.

No doubt the guy is massive at 6'8" 317, I know in another post I commented to another poster who said he had his "head in the clouds" with regards to making the NFL. I remarked his head may have been somewhere else with regards to his NFL aspirations. Truth be told, when you have a chance at a paycheque that's given in the NFL, you got to go try it or you'll have regrets, especially being that size...to think 20-25 yrs ago, he would have been a rare guy at over 300 lbs+, but that's been the norm lately for over a decade at least now.

At that size, I must confess I would probably not make those comments to his face unless I was in a sports car with my right foot on the gas pedal, left foot on the friction point of the clutch and my right hand on the gearshift getting ready to pop it into 4th or 5th...lol...He'd be able to block me with one arm and the other one tied to his back, let alone using his whole frame...lol. Hope he plays well, but will probably have to adjust and make errors at first, but if he learns he could dominate in a couple years...pretty good speed for a big man on his youtube clips.

1argoholic
08-28-2012, 05:58 PM
My head in the coulds comment was that he would feel above the CFL. Well I guess he gave the NFL a run and it didn't work so he's finally an Argo. Lets hope it works out.

gilthethrill
08-28-2012, 05:58 PM
At that size, I must confess I would probably not make those comments to his face unless I was in a sports car with my right foot on the gas pedal, left foot on the friction point of the clutch and my right hand on the gearshift getting ready to pop it into 4th or 5th...lol...He'd be able to block me with one arm and the other one tied to his back, let alone using his whole frame...lol. Hope he plays well, but will probably have to adjust and make errors at first, but if he learns he could dominate in a couple years...pretty good speed for a big man on his youtube clips.

Yes, I would not make any comments about his Kijiji add to his face either...unless the passenger door your the sports car was unlocked....

Gill The Thrill
08-28-2012, 06:27 PM

Yes, I would not make any comments about his Kijiji add to his face either...unless the passenger door your the sports car was unlocked....

I heard about that add, I wonder if it's still circulating in the net...I'd be curious as to how he phrased it.

Nob
08-28-2012, 08:27 PM
He has size, he has a Canadian passport, and he's had the chance to gain some additional experience and coaching. What's not to love here? It's like Christmas in August.

It will take him some time to get up to speed, and get used to the Canadian rules again, but this is a big addition. Literally and figuratively.

OV Argo
08-28-2012, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=Nob;15133]He has size, he has a Canadian passport, and he's had the chance to gain some additional experience and coaching. What's not to love here? It's like Christmas in August.

Oh, I dunno - the guy has proven basically zip in football; was he a repeat CIS all-star O-Lineman? = nope; more like he has great size and some athleticism that some pro "scouts" like to drool all over; the Browns tried him at D-Line in his shot there. But - at least we got that scouting report from doubleblue who said he got to see Reinders in an NFL ex. game at O_line and he looked OK - thanks for that.
The Argos drafted another huge O-lineman last year - Mike Knill - who had been an OUA all-star, had made Div I teams, and also blew away the field in the bench press at the CFL E-Camp - why was he not this great potential Argo O-line force? - because he didn't get an NFL try-out?

I get the hope that Reinders might be this great addition, but I'll be surprised if he even dresses for the Argos this year; and I'll be equally surprised if he ever becomes a solid starter in the CFL; love to see him pan out for the Argos, but at this point he seems to me a long-range, iffy prospect; now Tyler Holmes, OTOH - grew up playing some Canadian ball, and then went on to become a solid starter in Div. I US college ball - he could be a great addition who could maybe contribute right away and maybe be a CFL fixture for years - I'd be wayyyyyyy more enthused to see the Argo land this guy (along with Cory Greenwood too ;o) ).

1argoholic
08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
I don't see Greenwood coming anytime soom. I'd like to see the Argos put some effort into scouting CIS this year and plan for next years draft. Guys with talent that will not get an NFL shot but could be solid CFLers.

OV Argo
08-28-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't see Greenwood coming anytime soom. I'd like to see the Argos put some effort into scouting CIS this year and plan for next years draft. Guys with talent that will not get an NFL shot but could be solid CFLers.

Agree with you there; Barker has ignored top notch, proven CIS talent to draft more long-range or iffy prospects - based on something or other i guess - "atheticism" or US training/contacts or good "interviews" valued over proven football players? Not near enough respect for proven CIS talent seems to me; and the list of young draft picks who are getting to play and contributing some on other CFL teams is signifigant IMO compared to what the Argo have got out of the draft.

KCargosfan
08-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Can Reinders play Monday? :) Hell, with our line, he couldn't do much worse.

Nob
08-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Agreed on Barker needing to do more homework and a better job getting Canadian boys from the CIS.

As for Reinders - no risk, with a potential for a reward. Will he be a star? Not today, but it's depth that the Argos need without giving up any assets. That's the best part of the Boulay, Spencer and Reinders signings - 3 Canadians to be roster and nothing given up. Yeah, I get it that you can't win by picking off the scrap heap all the time, but that's how bad the NI pool was in Argoland.

At least we still haven't given up any tangible assets to get parts of the puzzle.

argolio
08-28-2012, 11:49 PM
was he a repeat CIS all-star O-Lineman? = nope;That means next to nothing in terms of being a pro.

I don't see Greenwood coming anytime soom. I'd like to see the Argos put some effort into scouting CIS this year and plan for next years draft. Guys with talent that will not get an NFL shot but could be solid CFLers.Greenwood wasn't supposed to be getting an NFL shot when we drafted him. We lost him because of a one-in-a-thousand/million set of circumstances.

Unless he can make the jump to starting, he might end up here next year. It's hard to have a long NFL career playing strictly special teams unless you're a kicker or long-snapper.

OV Argo
08-29-2012, 03:18 PM
That means next to nothing in terms of being a pro.

Greenwood wasn't supposed to be getting an NFL shot when we drafted him. We lost him because of a one-in-a-thousand/million set of circumstances.

Unless he can make the jump to starting, he might end up here next year. It's hard to have a long NFL career playing strictly special teams unless you're a kicker or long-snapper.

Oh really; so why don't you present for me, a list of all the CIS grads who were NOT recognized as a conference or all-Canadian all-star at any point in their 4 or 5 years of playing there, nor award winners, or who were not amongst college ball stat leaders in a season or career - who are now solid CFL players or key starters; OK? - then I'll produce an opposite list.

Means nothing to you = good for you.

argolio
08-29-2012, 04:47 PM
I said next to nothing. I can accept that being voted to an all-star team makes it more likely that a player will be a pro, but it's still mostly a popularity contest (which I thought you hated), and it certainly doesn't guarantee anything. Looking at the CIS career rushing and receiving lists, and the lineman and defensive player award winners through the years, there are guys who had decent or better pro careers, but there are also guys who did little or nothing in the pros.

matchuk
08-29-2012, 08:46 PM
I heard about that add, I wonder if it's still circulating in the net...I'd be curious as to how he phrased it.

it has been since pulled down from kijiji, but i managed to find it on one of the riders forums...

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-92474.html

Rich
08-29-2012, 11:30 PM
I can accept that being voted to an all-star team makes it more likely that a player will be a pro, but it's still mostly a popularity contest (which I thought you hated), and it certainly doesn't guarantee anything.

OV never said anything about any guarantee. He just said we should be looking at these guys more.

Setting up straw men and knocking them down is simply being a contrarian.

ArgoRavi
08-30-2012, 12:46 AM
OV never said anything about any guarantee. He just said we should be looking at these guys more.

Setting up straw men and knocking them down is simply being a contrarian.

Just because a guy has been an all-star at a lower level of the game, it doesn't mean that he is cut out for the pros though. Ultimately, scouts and player personnel directors have to make decisions as to which of these all-stars can cut it and which can't.

1argoholic
08-30-2012, 10:22 AM
This is the move that will get us into Grey Cup 100. This is a slam dunk.

argolio
08-30-2012, 02:28 PM

Setting up straw men and knocking them down is simply being a contrarian.I reject the notion that those guys don't get looked at enough. If anything those guys get more attention from scouts since they are more well-known. Fans naturally get excited over guys putting up numbers and being voted to all-conference/Canadian lists, but being a college all-star is no guarantee of being a pro prospect.

Gill The Thrill
08-30-2012, 05:56 PM
it has been since pulled down from kijiji, but i managed to find it on one of the riders forums...

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-92474.html

Thanks for that, I have more and more respect for this guy with everything I'm learning about him. I heard him interviewed on radio, he sounds like a dedicated guy who wants to keep getting better. I thought the add was for football, not for getting a job in the off-season. That's very humbling, and something I can relate to. After I got my last degree I took a manual job outside of my field that did'nt pay much but paid the bills when I moved back to Toronto. It helped until I was able to get my foot in the door to work in the field that I went to school for.

I wish him luck, and hope he can be a mainstay on the O-line for years to come.

paulwoods13
08-31-2012, 09:08 AM
According to today's Sun, Argos are considering Reinders at guard as well as tackle. Makes sense to me as I would say our guards are way weaker than our two starting tackles. Reinders says he wants to bulk up from 317 to 325 if he's going to play guard.

1argoholic
08-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Sounds like he's doing at great job of bulking up on his moms food. She lives 10 minutes away from Erindale in Oakville. Nice when your 317 lb football playing son comes home for a stay. haha.

AngeloV
08-31-2012, 12:19 PM
According to today's Sun, Argos are considering Reinders at guard as well as tackle. Makes sense to me as I would say our guards are way weaker than our two starting tackles. Reinders says he wants to bulk up from 317 to 325 if he's going to play guard.

I agree. The majority of the pressures have come from the inside, which is a QB's worst nightmare.

ArgoRavi
08-31-2012, 01:50 PM

I agree. The majority of the pressures have come from the inside, which is a QB's worst nightmare.

My perception is that the pressure is coming from up the middle as well. I thought Tony Washington played very well in Calgary but I wasn't watching him as closely in the Edmonton game. Still, I think that Washington and Van Zeyl will provide at least decent protection at the tackle positions. The guard positions have been more of a revolving door for us. Barker said in the Sun that he expects Reinders to contribute fairly quickly so maybe he will be starting or at least dressing for games quite soon.

mchesher03
08-31-2012, 01:53 PM
where/why is Joe Eppele not in the conversation (or starting lineup) at either guard spot? i thought he was pretty highly regarded when we drafted him?

ArgoRavi
08-31-2012, 01:55 PM
where/why is Joe Eppele not in the conversation (or starting lineup) at either guard spot? i thought he was pretty highly regarded when we drafted him?

Eppele played well during the second half of last year and had been starting for much of this season but struggling. I doubt that the Argos have given up on him as an offensive lineman but his play this year just wasn't good enough so they have to look at some other options.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8