PDA

View Full Version : September 8th 2012: Hamilton Tiger-Cats vs. Toronto Argonauts

T-Bone
09-04-2012, 08:14 AM
http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/ham.png vs. http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/tor.png

Week 11
Saturday, September 8th 2012 at 1:00pm ET.
Rogers Centre. Toronto, ON.

TV: TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508)
TSN Mobile TV: Details Here (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/)
Radio: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/radio/feature/?id=43622)
Audio Webcast: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/)

US Viewing:
Video Webcast: ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/channel/espn3)

Depth Chart: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2012)

Ticket Info: Here (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?717-Save-up-to-28-on-any-Toronto-Argonauts-home-tickets.&p=9470&viewfull=1#post9470)

Argos Romp in Rematch (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-romp-in-rematch)

Will
09-04-2012, 10:20 AM
The Ticats are 3-6 going into this game. It is worth noting that their last three losses have been close. Hopefully, the Argos can take the momentum from yesterday's win and put some space between them and the Ticats. We also want to keep pace with Montreal who also have a tough game with British Columbia.

1argoholic
09-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Ray needs a big game at home with no picks. We need to stop Williams from returning one for a change. This game is just as big as yesterday goiving the team more confidence to play in these parts on Sept 15. As I've mentioned many times the Argos haven't won in Vancouver since the summer of 02. We moved out here in Oct of 02. Haven't seen them win here.

294life
09-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Either the Cats will rebound or they will implode and join the Peg in the cfl cellar.

The Ticats are 3-6 going into this game. It is worth noting that their last three losses have been close. Hopefully, the Argos can take the momentum from yesterday's win and put some space between them and the Ticats. We also want to keep pace with Montreal who also have a tough game with British Columbia.

you should check out the poll we have at the alouettes' website forum on how we are going to lose to bc. we are That confident. :peekaboo:

1argoholic
09-05-2012, 04:24 PM
We have the tough game in BC next week. Still wondering if I want to go. We have our hotel booked for three nights. Good to get a city fix since we live in the country now. I was figuring three nights,game,ferries,food and booze would be $800-$1000. Not sure. If they win against Hamilton that could convince me.

argonaut11xx
09-06-2012, 07:34 PM
We have the tough game in BC next week. Still wondering if I want to go. We have our hotel booked for three nights. Good to get a city fix since we live in the country now. I was figuring three nights,game,ferries,food and booze would be $800-$1000. Not sure. If they win against Hamilton that could convince me.

I'd suggest meeting up for a beer while your on the mainland...however me and Lil Bec (my hunny) are getting married on the 15th...

Wobbler
09-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Anyone expecting any lineup changes for Saturday? I can't see any reason for any. Durie is supposed to be ready to go, and it's far too early to come to any conclusions about Mann and Rambo's effectiveness.

Interestingly, Chevon Walker is injured (according to Drew Edwards) and is unlikely to play. I wonder if part of the reason we "shut down" Hamilton's run game in the second half on Monday was because he was playing hurt.

argolio
09-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Interestingly, Chevon Walker is injured (according to Drew Edwards) and is unlikely to play. I wonder if part of the reason we "shut down" Hamilton's run game in the second half on Monday was because he was playing hurt.If I remember the play correctly, I think he may have got hurt in the second half.

1argoholic
09-07-2012, 12:10 AM
He was playing hurt, with hurt feelings because we shut him down. I know I'm milking that joke this season but hell I like it.

Wobbler
09-07-2012, 12:36 AM
If I remember the play correctly, I think he may have got hurt in the second half.
I don't remember seeing him get hurt; did he ever come out of the game?

ArgoRavi
09-07-2012, 12:42 AM
I don't remember seeing him get hurt; did he ever come out of the game?

I don't remember seeing that either. He missed the Montreal game with an injury so maybe he re-injured himself. I am sure that Avon Cobourne will be pumped up to play. BTW, Kevin Eiben is expected to miss Saturday's game with an injury as well. I suspect that this will be his final season.

Nob
09-07-2012, 01:32 AM
1argoholic - send me a pm next week. I'll be at the Lions game. Somebody at work is friends with Mike Hogan and is trying to set up a meet and greet next Friday night. She also told me that last year several of the players came over to join them.

gilthethrill
09-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Just a preview from Hamilton beat writer Drew Edwards...I always find it interesting what is going on in the ememies camp....hope others enjoy reading it too...

Doing something a little different for tomorrow's Spec but here's what I saw in practice today:

• running back Chevon Walker, centre Marwan Hage and linebacker Kevin Eiben all missed practice today. Head coach George Cortez said that a final decision hasn't been made on any of them but acknowledged that players who don't practice on the final prep day before game usually don't play.
With Walker out, Avon Cobourne and Brandon Rutley split reps at running back while Tim O'Neill moved from right guard to centre with Cody Husband taking over at guard. If Eiben can't go, I'd expect Jonathan Hood to be added to the roster.
• in addition the injury-related changes and return of Bakari Grant which we covered yesterday – look for Aaron Kelly to be the odd man out – there could also be changes on the defensive line. It's possible that Bruce Davis and Ronnell Brown could both be re-inserted into the line up, though that's not a given.
• new defensive lineman Torrey Davis was not at practice but is expected to arrive in Hamilton some time today. As I reported yesterday, he won't play Saturday.
<fb:like class=" fb_edge_widget_with_comment fb_iframe_widget" show_faces="false" layout="button_count" href="http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2012/09/update-from-ticats-practice.html"></fb:like>

ticatfan
09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Anyone tailgating or pre-gaming at Hoops?

Will
09-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Durie is still questionable for Saturday, which gives Bradwell and Watt an opportunity to showcase their stuff.

AngeloV
09-07-2012, 12:53 PM
• running back Chevon Walker, centre Marwan Hage and linebacker Kevin Eiben all missed practice today. Head coach George Cortez said that a final decision hasn't been made on any of them but acknowledged that players who don't practice on the final prep day before game usually don't play.

I'm surprised they even noticed that Eiben missed practice. Eiben was a great player here for many years, and it's just sad to see him not be able to get onto the field now, despite that the fact that Makeith Knowlton is injured, and they have already used 2 different replacements for him.

1argoholic
09-07-2012, 01:47 PM
I was just thinking of Mike and hoping to see him.

backer@oldclarke
09-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Argos played well in the second half in Hamilton and that impressed me. Go Argos Go.:D

Wobbler
09-07-2012, 02:55 PM
According to the DC, it looks like Durie won't be able to play after all. Bummer. We've activated Desriveaux, Reinders, and Williams to replace Durie (IR), JSP (gone), and Barnes ("IR") respectively.

jerrym
09-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Either the Cats will rebound or they will implode and join the Peg in the cfl cellar.

Best comment IMO. A win here can leave us focusing on catching Montreal for first - a loss duelling it out with Hamilton for a home game in the playoffs, as well as facing BC the next week and possibly falling below .500. Looking forward to seeing the Argos at BC Place stadium, hopefully while they are on a winning note.

1argoholic
09-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Just looked at transactions and roster on the Argo site. Akeel Lendor was cut but his name is still on the practice roster. They don't do a great job with keeping up with things.

ArgoRavi
09-07-2012, 06:31 PM
According to the DC, it looks like Durie won't be able to play after all. Bummer. We've activated Desriveaux, Reinders, and Williams to replace Durie (IR), JSP (gone), and Barnes ("IR") respectively.

Desriveaux is still around? I thought that he had been let go recently.

ArgoRavi
09-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Just looked at transactions and roster on the Argo site. Akeel Lendor was cut but his name is still on the practice roster. They don't do a great job with keeping up with things.

Lendor was cut but was brought back a week or so after and is still around as far as I know. As I mentioned in my other post, I thought that Desriveaux had been cut loose. I guess that the Argos have had to do a lot of roster shuffling and have had to release some players temporarily.

Wobbler
09-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Yeah, we re-signed Desriveaux on Wednesday apparently. This year has been more shenanigans-filled than usual, roster-wise, it seems to me. We've had an interesting series of guys who have seemingly "hung around" despite not drawing any official paycheques.

1argoholic
09-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Yah what the hell is with that?

argolio
09-08-2012, 01:00 AM
The Argos must have got a good deal on a condo to house all these guys.

If Saskatchewan, Edmonton, and Montreal can do it, why not us?

Nob
09-08-2012, 03:17 AM
I'm surprised that they brought back Desriveaux. Why not put JFG in the lineup?

Wobbler
09-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Desriveaux will be useful on special teams. JFG was useless on special teams.

294life
09-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Other than the botched FG a near flawless first half.

Will
09-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Terrible start to the half for the Argos. A Ray INT at the goalline and the D allows the Ticats to march down the field. The Ticats are down just three now. The team still has redzone issues, why not get Kackert involved down there?

Wobbler
09-08-2012, 03:41 PM
With the score now 42-17, I hope Jackson comes in to finish the game. He hasn't had *any* opportunities to take first down snaps this year, and it would be great to give him some game time.

Midnight Blue
09-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Got home in time to catch the second half. Enjoying the game. Great to see Dontrelle Inman walk away after smacking the post. Wow. At least now he'll never have any fear of getting hit (not that he has any). I wouldn't be surprised if Dontrelle put a nice dent in that thing. Great to see a great game. Will watch whole game on TSN on-demand video later. May even buy some Whisky or Whiskey, in honour of Dontrelle. I'm sure I'll go down hill from there. Girlfriend out of town, so time to drink with ol' Jack, and Jimmy Beam. Or the Wild Turkey. Still practising my Whiskey/Whisky discipline. The trick is to not drink the whole bottle in one sitting (ok, half the bottle, plus beer), fun as that may be. Cheers!

Midnight Blue
09-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Or even better, The Devil's Cut, by Jim Beam. Weighing the possibilities

Midnight Blue
09-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Or perhaps, Tanqueray. Gin and Tonics. Maybe I'll ban myself, for tonight. Cheers!

Midnight Blue
09-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Oh! OH!!! I know.... Maybe I'll start a HEAD-BANGING Thread, in honour of Dontrelle Inman. I'll put it in the "Sociable" section, so as to not tick off the Mods. Good Ol' Kick-Ass Rock 'n' Roll. We'll see. Cheers!

Nice win for The Boatmen!!! Now let's go BC, and stomp those Alouettes!

jerrym
09-08-2012, 04:30 PM
With the score now 42-17, I hope Jackson comes in to finish the game. He hasn't had *any* opportunities to take first down snaps this year, and it would be great to give him some game time.
I agree. However, Milanovich seems to follow the Trestman philosophy that no lead under 50 points is safe so keep the first stringer in the game. This works as long as your first stringer doesn't get injured - then watch out!

jerrym
09-08-2012, 04:54 PM
This is the first game in which I have liked what all the receivers accomplished: Rambo caught three passes for 66 yards and set up a goal-line TD; Owens dodged and weaved to gain 60 yards and first downs; Mann caught 3 passes for 42 and looked involved for the first time in an Argo uniform; Inman caught 2 for 35 taking hard hits, including with the goalpost that prevented him scoring a TD; and Bradwell caught 3 for 35 while Watt had 3 for 29. However, at least equally important for the 2 Canadian receivers was the fact that they helped provide great blocking for several of Kackert's runs. Finally, Kackert put the Boyd question in the grave, by catching 6 passes for 67 yards, in addition to his game-breaking running for 172 yards. While we do not have a great team of receivers, Owens, who is now tied for the lead in receiving yards, is starting to look like he is becoming one. This game also suggests that we could be on the verge of having a team of receivers, who if Ray continues to spread the ball around to all of them, could contribute to a formidable offence.

ArgoRavi
09-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Terrible start to the half for the Argos. A Ray INT at the goalline and the D allows the Ticats to march down the field. The Ticats are down just three now. The team still has redzone issues, why not get Kackert involved down there?

I was thinking the same thing and was happy to see Kackert get the ball for a TD early in the fourth quarter in the red zone.

argos1873
09-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I think its safe to say that Mr. Kackert had a decent game. 172 yards rushing, 67 receiving...and 3 TDs!! Way to go #44!!

Will
09-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Kackert had an excellent game, probably one of the best games by an Argo running back since Robert Drummond and that's going back quite a ways.

I don't understand though why they brought in Jackson for that one drive near the end of the game, but put Ray back in? Was Milanovich worried about the garbage time TD's?

ArgoRavi
09-08-2012, 06:03 PM
What was scary about this game was that we won as convincingly as we did while still leaving a lot of points on the field. We had to settle for two short FGs in the red zone early in the game, then had the INT there in the third quarter and had two missed FGs - one from 32 and the other from 37 - which yielded only one point. We probably should have scored at least 57 points today. Regardless, we dominated the Ticats today and when we faced any adversity, just as we have throughout the season, we responded. Like it or not - and I say this because I think that a few fans are reluctant to get their hopes up - this is a contending team IMO.

Kackert had an excellent game, probably one of the best games by an Argo running back since Robert Drummond and that's going back quite a ways.

I don't understand though why they brought in Jackson for that one drive near the end of the game, but put Ray back in? Was Milanovich worried about the garbage time TD's?

Milanovich was thinking about the season series. The Argos now have an 8 point lead in the season series. That means that the Ticats have to win the last game between these two teams by at least 8 points to win the season series. While it may seem unlikely at the moment that Hamilton will catch us in the standings, it is far from impossible and you have to cover all of your bases. I am still irritated that we gave up those two late TDs or else we could be up by 19 points in the season series. Anyway, that last FG was important because it turned a five point lead into eight.

DanTheFan
09-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Well that was a little bit of all right!!

argos1873
09-08-2012, 07:06 PM
What was scary about this game was that we won as convincingly as we did while still leaving a lot of points on the field. We had to settle for two short FGs in the red zone early in the game, then had the INT there in the third quarter and had two missed FGs - one from 32 and the other from 37 - which yielded only one point. We probably should have scored at least 57 points today. Regardless, we dominated the Ticats today and when we faced any adversity, just as we have throughout the season, we responded. Like it or not - and I say this because I think that a few fans are reluctant to get their hopes up - this is a contending team IMO.

Well penalties, and a new kicker (I wasn't impressed with Wilbur's placekicking/kickoffs but his punting was ok) evaporated a number of points. But there are still some remnants of redzone failures lingering around. But redzone failures in a win are much easier to take than redzone failures in a loss.

1argoholic
09-08-2012, 07:11 PM
That was a lot of alright! Kackert fits this O to an A.haha. The guy is my kind of back. Love that flying touchdown that was obvious and the official missed it. Since the last ten minutes in Hamilton last week the O has looked solid. Mixing things up to various receivers and backs. Inmans a tough guy.Some solid plays by Bradwell and nice to see him getting a chance. Twice he made those on side kick receptions look perfect. Rambo will make a big difference. BC helped us out today as well.
Great day and here's hoping I finally see a win in BC since we moved here in Oct of 02.

We can't continue to crap it in the redzone and expect to win in BC next week.

Wobbler
09-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Division wins are huge regardless of the circumstances, but this was a pretty solid performance and fun to watch.

In addition to the obvious top performers, I was impressed by Bradwell. One of his catches was in the middle of the field in heavy traffic, and his concentration looked excellent. I'd like to see him used more often at slot/TE looking for those types of passes. He lacks quickness and is fairly easy to tackle, so I don't think he's well suited to the outside.

On the downside Eppele didn't look very good at guard, at least early in the game. I didn't notice him much later on, but I'm not sure whether his play improved, he was subbed out, or whether the demoralized Cats weren't rushing as hard.

argos1873
09-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Division wins are huge regardless of the circumstances, but this was a pretty solid performance and fun to watch.

In addition to the obvious top performers, I was impressed by Bradwell. One of his catches was in the middle of the field in heavy traffic, and his concentration looked excellent. I'd like to see him used more often at slot/TE looking for those types of passes. He lacks quickness and is fairly easy to tackle, so I don't think he's well suited to the outside.

On the downside Eppele didn't look very good at guard, at least early in the game. I didn't notice him much later on, but I'm not sure whether his play improved, he was subbed out, or whether the demoralized Cats weren't rushing as hard.

I agree Bradwell seems to have great hands. Not much after the catch, but he seems to have no problem hauling in the catch. I was impressed with both his play, and how many chances he was given. He's not a playmaker, but he's a reliable guy.

paulwoods13
09-08-2012, 09:37 PM

Bradwell has definitely developed into a reliable receiver who I imagine will continue to get a lot of playing time even when Durie comes back.

Eppele sat out the second half (except for tight end formations) in favour of Parenteau. I don't know if that was planned all along or if he was benched, but he certainly missed a few blocks in the first half. I have to assume the possibility of Reinders getting a shot at RG is looming larger by the week.

That is absolutely correct, Ravi. We could have scored a lot more points. RR was on radio afterwards and mentioned how there were still too many mistakes and failures on offence. And of course there were too many penalties, although some of them (especially the endzone interference call on Watkins) were cheap, and fortunately they didn't cost us today. This was the Argos' most complete performance this season, but there is still considerable room for improvement in all three phases -- which we will need next week in B.C. But we are in first place in the division at the moment, pretty hard to complain about our record (and especially our record in the division, 4-1) at this stage.

Wobbler
09-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Bradwell has definitely developed into a reliable receiver who I imagine will continue to get a lot of playing time even when Durie comes back.
I don't mean to suggest that we should give Bradwell more reps - we have a lot of good receivers who need to see the ball. I just think that when we *do* use him, he should line up inside or at least run more routes that take him inside.

Eppele sat out the second half (except for tight end formations) in favour of Parenteau. I don't know if that was planned all along or if he was benched, but he certainly missed a few blocks in the first half. I have to assume the possibility of Reinders getting a shot at RG is looming larger by the week.
Thanks for the info. I'm starting to worry about Eppele. If he's only going to be a backup and blocking TE, he'd better learn to long-snap...

paulwoods13
09-08-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't mean to suggest that we should give Bradwell more reps.

I am. he is definitely ahead of Watt on the depth chart, IMO, and I expect all three of those guys will rotate through the twe NI receiver positions the rest of the year.

I'm starting to worry about Eppele. If he's only going to be a backup and blocking TE, he'd better learn to long-snap...

I've been worried about him for weeks. He seems to have regressed after a very strong second half of last season. It is way too early to give up on him, and IMO he still has much more potential than Parenteau or Jones, but he seems to be playing himself out of the starting lineup.

Wobbler
09-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I am. he is definitely ahead of Watt on the depth chart, IMO, and I expect all three of those guys will rotate through the twe NI receiver positions the rest of the year.
Hmm. If pressed I would rank Bradwell ahead of Watt, mostly because I think he'll be more useful as a clutch receiver that worries more about making the catch than YACs. Neither of them have shown an ability to break tackles or beat coverage, but both are effective receivers in soft coverage.

I really don't think Bradwell should get more reps than he is now, though. He could get more of Watt's reps, but Durie's return should mean that Bradwell's overall playing time is reduced a bit.

ArgoRavi
09-08-2012, 10:58 PM
I've been worried about him for weeks. He seems to have regressed after a very strong second half of last season. It is way too early to give up on him, and IMO he still has much more potential than Parenteau or Jones, but he seems to be playing himself out of the starting lineup.

Eppele showed during the second half of last season that he can play at this level IMO. However, confidence can be a funny thing and I think that he is suffering from a lack of it right now after some early season struggles. They should absolutely not give up on him but how much he will play for the rest of the season is certainly up for debate. I suspect that Reinders will get a shot at RG soon, perhaps as early as next week. I think that the Argos are settled at the other OL positions but RG is the one spot that still needs to be sorted out.

294life
09-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I had a great time at Rogers. It was worth the drive from Montreal to see my first ever argo win on my 8th try. See ya in 2 weeks for a likely first place matchup.

Nob
09-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Can't complain about a win, especially a divisional win, and/or a win over the Cats.

The Cats are a bad team. They made waaaaaaaay to many mistakes - dropped passes, bad-timing penalties, dumb penalties, and crappy defense. Cortez may be a very good coordinator, but he is a terrible coach. A lot of their mistakes should never happen at the pro level, and are a result of poor coaching. The Cats lost this game, perhaps more than the Argos won it.

Fantuz and Gigeure had terrible games, again. Gigeure came into this season with all sorts of headlines and potential. At this stage he is a huge disappointment, bordering on bust. Fantuz needs to give money back. I would have never thought that Watt and Bradwell would ever outplay the Ticats NI receivers for a series, let alone back to back games, but here we are. Bradwell's blocking was terrific.

The Argos should have won by many, many more points today. Too many points that they didn't score, and then the two late meaningless scores (which can't make Jones happy) made this score flattering for the Cats.

The Argos have 6 wins right now, and games with Sask, Winnipeg, and one more with Hamilton left. Gotta like the back end of the schedule, and the potential for a 10 or 11 win season.

ArgoRavi
09-09-2012, 04:26 AM
The Argos have 6 wins right now, and games with Sask, Winnipeg, and one more with Hamilton left. Gotta like the back end of the schedule, and the potential for a 10 or 11 win season.

A modest 4-4 over their final 8 games will get the Argos to a winning record of 10-8 which would likely be good enough for at least second place (Hamilton and Winnipeg would have to go at least 7-1 over their final 8 to overtake the Argos). I am guessing that they will need at least 11 wins including at least one more over Montreal to finish first. They may even need 12 including one over Montreal to do it. First place has to be the goal however. Since 1982, the Argos are 5-5 in division finals at home and only 2-5 in division finals on the road.

paulwoods13
09-09-2012, 07:10 AM
I really don't think Bradwell should get more reps than he is now, though. He could get more of Watt's reps, but Durie's return should mean that Bradwell's overall playing time is reduced a bit.

It would be impossible for him to get more reps than he is getting now because, with Durie out, he is playing every offensive play. What I meant by more playing time is that when Durie comes back, Bradwell should be rotating in -- a lot. Earlier this season he wasn't getting many snaps even when Durie came off the field -- I daresay that will change, and it is possible and maybe even likely that Bradwell will replace Watt on most snaps.

ArgoZ
09-09-2012, 09:01 AM
I had a great time at Rogers. It was worth the drive from Montreal to see my first ever argo win on my 8th try. See ya in 2 weeks for a likely first place matchup.

Way to go! It was a good ending to your road trip. Makes the 7h drive home much better.

294life
09-09-2012, 09:23 AM
23,061 the final tally. Best crowd in some time.

Will
09-09-2012, 10:43 AM
23,061 the final tally. Best crowd in some time.

I didn't think the crowd was that high. The visitors side seemed a little emptier than the last few games. It's possible the poor play of the Ticats kept some of their fans away today.

argos1873
09-09-2012, 11:10 AM
First place has to be the goal however. Since 1982, the Argos are 5-5 in division finals at home and only 2-5 in division finals on the road.

Division finals have always been a thorn in the Argos side.They have cost them a lot of Grey Cups considering they are 5-2 in the big game since 1982. The biggest loss being 1988, when they had a 14 win season, yet floundered against a 9-9 Blue Bomber team. I should know, I was at the game, the last ever at ol' Ex, and they stank the rainy joint out.

*Edit* If I remember correctly, Gilbert Renfroe, who had a superb season that year was injured, and a less capable John Congemi started in his place. I could be wrong though.

294life
09-09-2012, 11:23 AM
I didn't think the crowd was that high. The visitors side seemed a little emptier than the last few games. It's possible the poor play of the Ticats kept some of their fans away today.

There were a few ticat fans in section 124. The configuration is pretty good in keeping the fans together and close to the action. The Jays should follow their lead for most of their games. I was amazed at the lack of traffic on the way in from Don Valley.

Division finals have always been a thorn in the Argos side.They have cost them a lot of Grey Cups considering they are 5-2 in the big game since 1982. The biggest loss being 1988, when they had a 14 win season, yet floundered against a 9-9 Blue Bomber team. I should know, I was at the game, the last ever at ol' Ex, and they stank the rainy joint out.

*Edit* If I remember correctly, Gilbert Renfroe, who had a superb season that year was injured, and a less capable John Congemi started in his place. I could be wrong though.

Fifteen years since the argos won a divisional final at home.

flafson
09-09-2012, 12:01 PM
I guess none feels it was a joke to release Boyd anymore. No idea what they saw in Kackert that didn't get him to play at all and yet put ALOT of faith in him for throwing Boyd and yet proved they were right.
I really like how quick Kackert looks, Boyd would usually look slow.

paulwoods13
09-09-2012, 01:08 PM

My recollection is that Renfroe played the entire game and was terrible, and afterwards Obie said the reason he didn't sub in Congemi was that his hands were too small to grip the wet ball . . .

argos1873
09-09-2012, 01:42 PM
My recollection is that Renfroe played the entire game and was terrible, and afterwards Obie said the reason he didn't sub in Congemi was that his hands were too small to grip the wet ball . . .

You could be right. Either way the QB was terrible, and ergo the offence that day. I just remember that Renfroe was amazing that year, and either didn't play or stunk it up.

I guess none feels it was a joke to release Boyd anymore. No idea what they saw in Kackert that didn't get him to play at all and yet put ALOT of faith in him for throwing Boyd and yet proved they were right.
I really like how quick Kackert looks, Boyd would usually look slow.

When Kackert scored that amazing touchdown in Winnipeg, in the '11 preseason, Jim Barker was the coach and was mic'd up. His exact quote during that play was "He's a keeper!" Jim Barker was right.

ArgoRavi
09-09-2012, 01:49 PM
You could be right. Either way the QB was terrible, and ergo the offence that day. I just remember that Renfroe was amazing that year, and either didn't play or stunk it up.

He just stunk it up that day, unfortunately. As an Argo fan, the five most devastating losses have been the five East Division Finals that we have lost at home since the 1980s. That includes the second game of the two-game total point series with Hamilton in '86 when we blew a 26 point lead that we had in the second quarter of the second game IIRC. It is splitting hairs but the most devastating loss was the one in '07 when we had a chance to be in the Grey Cup at home the following week. Quite frankly, it has taken us five years to recover from that one.

argos1873
09-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Fifteen years since the argos won a divisional final at home.

Well, it hasn't helped that Montreal has been the dominant team in the East for those last 15 years. 9 of the last 15 East division titles have been won by the Als. Only 2 by the Argos, and as you pointed out, they lost them both.

He just stunk it up that day, unfortunately. As an Argo fan, the five most devastating losses have been the five East Division Finals that we have lost at home since the 1980s. That includes the second game of the two-game total point series with Hamilton in '86 when we blew a 26 point lead that we had in the second quarter of the second game IIRC. It is splitting hairs but the most devastating loss was the one in '07 when we had a chance to be in the Grey Cup at home the following week. Quite frankly, it has taken us five years to recover from that one.

Honestly I almost forgot about the '07 loss, but I'll never forget the loss in '86. I remember feeling going into the second game that it was a sure thing. Obviously not so, and Hamilton went on to win the cup, giving that ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeAr godome Pal Hal a chance to shine, and rub it into the faces of Toronto fans by putting the ti-cat logo on the ice, and having a congratulatory message posted on the scoreboard screen at the Gardens. What a rotten douchebag, and I for one danced a jig when the son-of-a-bitch died. Amazing that that dirtbag was inducted into both the NHL and CFL HOF's.

Argogabe is a mod here now.

ArgoRavi
09-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Honestly I almost forgot about the '07 loss, but I'll never forget the loss in '86. I remember feeling going into the second game that it was a sure thing. Obviously not so, and Hamilton went on to win the cup, giving that ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeAr godome Pal Hal a chance to shine, and rub it into the faces of Toronto fans by putting the ti-cat logo on the ice, and having a congratulatory message posted on the scoreboard screen at the Gardens. What a rotten douchebag, and I for one danced a jig when the son-of-a-bitch died. Amazing that that dirtbag was inducted into both the NHL and CFL HOF's.

After the Ticats upset the Argos in OT in the '84 EF, the Leafs played a rare Sunday night home game that night and Harold put up congratulatory messages to the Ticats throughout the game to the boos of the Gardens crowd. Early the next CFL season, after the Leafs finished 21st out of 21 NHL teams, the Ticats were winless and struggling when Pat Marsden said during a nationally televised game that the Leafs were the worst team in the NHL and the Ticats were the worst team in the CFL and then asked what the common denominator was to both. Harold got the last laugh though as the Ticats eventually got their act together, finished first and made it back to the Grey Cup and the Leafs had a good playoff run the next season. Anyway, those were certainly interesting times for pro sports in southern Ontario and never boring with Harold around - love him or hate him.

1argoholic
09-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Last Toronto Grey Cup we flew in for the eastern final and crapped it to Winnipeg. One year we went out early for Grey Cup and the west final to watch my wifes Stamps getting upset by BC at home. No luck with finals.

Will
09-09-2012, 04:15 PM
I was impressed by the way that the Argos responded to the sequence of events that made the game 20-17 in the third quarter. Ray drives the team down field only to throw the interception within the five-yard line. The defense subsequently allowed the Ticats to go all the way down field and score on the 35-yard TD strike to Sam Giguere. The Ticats then make the 2-pt conversion to make it 20-17. That could've been a momentum changer, but I think the Ticats lost that a few drives later when Chris Williams fumbled the football.

Did anyone see whether Chad Kackert was even touched on both of his long TD runs?

flafson
09-09-2012, 09:25 PM
We need to stop give away points when the game seems to have been won already. We did it at least twice this year already.

Midnight Blue
09-10-2012, 12:54 AM
I've never been impressed with "past statistics", as a potential pre-cursor when it comes to future games. This is Football, and you win or lose based on your performance on the field, on the day of the game.

Superstition, is the religion of small minds. This I have read, but I agree with the premise. Any team can win any game at any time, assuming they have the pieces in place. Though sometimes, they have to play "outside" of themselves. This is what makes Football a great game.

Ka' Pla !

294life
09-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Well, it hasn't helped that Montreal has been the dominant team in the East for those last 15 years. 9 of the last 15 East division titles have been won by the Als. Only 2 by the Argos, and as you pointed out, they lost them both.

actually it was 8 by the als and only one by the argos. but hey, who's counting? :bored:

1argoholic
09-10-2012, 10:21 AM
No one but no one puts words together like you Midnight Blue.

gilthethrill
09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
The final attendance according to an article was a "Generous 23k"...anyone there able to say other wise? Looked accurate watching on tv.

Will
09-10-2012, 11:52 AM
That's not the first time that the writer has used the term "generous" to describe Argo attendance. To be honest, I didn't feel like it was as high as some of the other games, perhaps the distribution of fans was different. I don't think the visitors side was as full because less Ticat fans made the trip presumably because of their team's poor play over recent weeks.

gilthethrill
09-10-2012, 01:05 PM
That's not the first time that the writer has used the term "generous" to describe Argo attendance. To be honest, I didn't feel like it was as high as some of the other games, perhaps the distribution of fans was different. I don't think the visitors side was as full because less Ticat fans made the trip presumably because of their team's poor play over recent weeks.

Its been years since I remember more than a handfull of Ti-Cat fans have made the trip to the RC. I fear next year will be bad for them attendance wise since they have not decided where they will call home.

Will
09-10-2012, 01:13 PM
I haven't felt that way the last few years the Ticats have been in town. Seemed like they filled up much more of the visitors side, but not so much on Saturday.

argolio
09-11-2012, 01:31 AM
The final attendance according to an article was a "Generous 23k"...anyone there able to say other wise? Looked accurate watching on tv.I was thinking 22-23K during the game, so I don't get the "generous" comment

Will
09-11-2012, 08:41 AM
I was thinking 22-23K during the game, so I don't get the "generous" comment

Evidently the writer felt that the total given wasn't accurate, he or she has used the term "generous" for several Argo games this year.

argotom
09-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Evidently the writer felt that the total given wasn't accurate, he or she has used the term "generous" for several Argo games this year.

I was there and it looked an accurate count.

crmsntide
09-14-2012, 11:21 AM
The number for bums in the seats was just over 23k.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8