PDA

View Full Version : The Toronto Raptors Thread

Will
01-07-2012, 02:52 PM
I was reading some comments over the last few days about how the Raptors defense had improved. By a score-by-score basis in this young season I suppose you could make that conclusion, but you had to keep in mind that the Raptors had played the Cleveland Cavaliers twice and they are a team that is arguably worse than the Raptors! Yes it'll probably come as a surprise to the haters that there are worse teams in the NBA than the Raptors. Anyways, what I'm saying don't conclude the Raptors' defense has improved until they actually match-up with legitimate teams like the Heat, Bulls or Celtics.

Also, I know 1/2 of you don't care if the Blue Jays and Raptors move to Wichita Falls, your feeling are well known on the subject so if you don't have anything to say besides the usual then please don't.

ArgoRavi
01-07-2012, 05:15 PM
I was reading some comments over the last few days about how the Raptors defense had improved. By a score-by-score basis in this young season I suppose you could make that conclusion, but you had to keep in mind that the Raptors had played the Cleveland Cavaliers twice and they are a team that is arguably worse than the Raptors! Yes it'll probably come as a surprise to the haters that there are worse teams in the NBA than the Raptors. Anyways, what I'm saying don't conclude the Raptors' defense has improved until they actually match-up with legitimate teams like the Heat, Bulls or Celtics.

Also, I know 1/2 of you don't care if the Blue Jays and Raptors move to Wichita Falls, your feeling are well known on the subject so if you don't have anything to say besides the usual then please don't.

The Raptors have had a soft schedule so far, haven't they? I know that they beat the Knicks but they haven't been good in a while, and as you said, they beat Cleveland twice which is no great accomplishment. The Raptors did lose to New Jersey last night and I didn't think that the Nets had been good in a while either. The true test will certainly be when they play some of the elite teams rather than the bottom-feeders that they have mostly been playing. Also, one thing about the NBA is that the good teams seem to stay on top for a long time while the lousy teams, like the Raptors, tend to be bad for a long time. At least that is my perception of that league.

Will
01-07-2012, 05:35 PM
You can point to any of the big four sports leagues I think and say that there are teams that are perennial winners and perennial losers, Ravi. It isn't restricted to the NBA in my opinion.

matchuk
01-07-2012, 10:37 PM
haha....guess you guys missed tonights game?

raps lost by 35

Will
01-08-2012, 10:22 AM
There will more then likely be more games like that this year for the Raptors.

1argoholic
01-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Why doesn't this team move to the States. They just waste time on the sports highlight or when it comes to the Craptors,lowlight shows.

Will
01-10-2012, 08:01 PM
What did I say about not having nothing nice to say? :)

DanTheFan
01-11-2012, 12:15 PM
It's been an interesting season thus far. Aside from the ugly ones (the Sixers game I missed, and last night), the rest of the matches I've seen have been pretty entertaining. Despite his inconsistencies, we are going to need Bayless back soon in order to rest Calderon. Old man Carter is a solid defender, but the offense rarely looks good when he's on the court.

ticatfan
01-12-2012, 08:34 AM
From what I have seen, they are keeping the opponents scoring down (mostly below 100), but don't seem to score so much either. I also think Bargnani went out yesterday with an injury. Probably too much Primo pasta weighing him down.

marcwagz
01-13-2012, 10:36 PM
did you suggest the raptors move to the states?
seriously? were you here when VC was in his heyday?
Those games at the ACC were some of the best sports entertainment Toronto has ever got, the ACC was always rocking.
The raptors are rebuilding now.

ArgoRavi
01-14-2012, 12:29 AM
The raptors are rebuilding now.

Haven't they been rebuilding for the last five years?

Will
01-14-2012, 09:04 AM
They've been rebuilding since the 2008-2009 season.

marcwagz
01-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Haven't they been rebuilding for the last five years?
no
when they had chris bosh they were trying to win

DanTheFan
01-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Colangelo has seemingly just "woke up" in the past year or so and realized the team needs to be re-built properly. When Bosh was around, he brought in a few names with the intent on getting into the play-offs and making a run. I think when he signed O'Neal, he claimed that addition would make them a top-4 East team with hopes of getting to the conference finals. The next year, he made some more moves to add depth to the squad (namely Turk, but also guys like Jack and Bellinelli) and complement Bosh in hopes to keep him here. I'm just glad I was too busy with university studies to give their second-half collapse much attention:peekaboo:.

The 2010-11 offseason also showed some intent of forming a team that could be a playoff contender by bringing in Barbosa and nearly acquiring Tyson Chandler. This year he just stuck to bringing in short-term veteran contracts, and seems to be asking for patience. With the Jays and Leafs in large playoff droughts, it's getting awful tough for me to be patient, but I understand the need to build through the draft.

Will
01-18-2012, 05:58 PM
The Raptors were heading in the right direction during the 2006-2007 season it seemed. They had surprisingly won the Atlantic Division and Sam Mitchell was the NBA Coach of the Year. Although, they made the playoffs in 2007-2008 they never replicated that success. I think it was the 2009-2010 season where the Raptors were heading for a playoff spot and seemed solid, but ended up fading badly during the second half and then Chris Bosh left the team after that thus pushing them into a full blown rebuild. It's clear that the significant problem with the Raptors is retaining their stars (Carter, McGrady, Bosh, etc.), but also the Raptors were never able to give them a complimentary player. Lamond Murray was oft-injured and Jermaine O'Neal and Turkoglu didn't work out in Toronto.

DanTheFan
01-19-2012, 09:41 AM
The games have been getting uglier as the season moves on. We need Bargnani to get healty to spark the offense, but this isn't the season we need to rush him back into the lineup. I wonder how Bayless is doing?

marcwagz
01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
the raptors cant seem to score more than 80, it's quite sad.

Derozan seems to be regressing, its quite worrysome

Will
01-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Bumping a thread that hasn't been posted in for nearly two years, but the Raptors are playing some descent basketball of late within a weak conference. Seems that trading Rudy Gay has had a positive effect on the team as it has allowed guys like Kyle Lowry and Terrence Ross to break out of their shells a little. We'll see if it keeps up.

Deerkeeper
01-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Bumping a thread that hasn't been posted in for nearly two years, but the Raptors are playing some descent basketball of late within a weak conference. Seems that trading Rudy Gay has had a positive effect on the team as it has allowed guys like Kyle Lowry and Terrence Ross to break out of their shells a little. We'll see if it keeps up.The fact that no one has posted in two years and no one has responded in relation to your post tells you all you need to know about the level of interest that exists for the Raptors and the NBA.

ArgoGabe22
01-05-2014, 04:31 PM
The fact that no one has posted in two years and no one has responded in relation to your post tells you all you need to know about the level of interest that exists for the Raptors and the NBA.

I follow the Raptors, just like the Leafs. Not at the same as level as I do the Argos, I just don't see the need to post anything.

T-Bone
01-07-2014, 07:41 AM
The fact that no one has posted in two years and no one has responded in relation to your post tells you all you need to know about the level of interest that exists for the Raptors and the NBA.
On this site maybe. I really hope you don't base all of your "facts" on information gathered solely from here.

ArgoZ
01-12-2014, 10:55 AM
On this site maybe. I really hope you don't base all of your "facts" on information gathered solely from here.

Let me judge the Argos popularity by searching in the Raptors forums, yes forumS,,,,,, as expected, hundreds of Argo related posts! :ohno:

294life
01-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Another win last night. I have never followed the Raptors like this before. Looking for only their second division title in history.

It'll be nice to finally have something other than hockey to follow in the winter

ArgoZ
01-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Another win last night. I have never followed the Raptors like this before. Looking for only their second division title in history.

It'll be nice to finally have something other than hockey to follow in the winter

It sure didn't start as a year to follow. The season started with poor results and confusing direction as where the team was headed. A few trades involving sending their most skilled player for a bunch of bench players, finally signaled a direction of losing, to get one of next years top prospects. All of a sudden, the team starts playing together, passing the ball and have put together a 14-6 run since the trade. They are playing great ball, it's exciting to see everyone knocking down shots. Raptors are truly one of the best "teams" in sports right now and I would recommend any fan to check them out.

294life
01-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Amazing 1 pt win last night in Brooklyn to keep those pesky Nets at bay.

ArgoZ
01-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Amazing 1 pt win last night in Brooklyn to keep those pesky Nets at bay.

Kyle Lowry, Kyle Lowry.

D-Gap-Willie
01-31-2014, 01:18 AM
Kyle Lowry, Kyle Lowry.
Kyle Lowry - yes, having a great season, which hopefully signals a breakthrough for years to come.......but don't underestimate the influence of Valanciunas in all of this. His steady improvement and increasing dominance could soon make him one of the premier big man in the NBA, and we can forget about his recent game against the Clippers.

T-Bone
01-31-2014, 08:28 AM
Kyle Lowry, Kyle Lowry.
I was at the game on Wednesday and he had another good night. The first half of the game the Raptors were pretty much sinking every 3 pointer they shot, it was exciting to watch.

D-Gap-Willie
02-04-2014, 03:08 AM
Another nice 'controlled' win tonite in Utah. Raps are really starting to show confidence in each other as a team. Unfortunately, "Kyle Lowry, Kyle Lowry" left the game in the fourth with a knee injury - prognosis unknown. He is very much needed against the offensive power of the Kings and the Clippers.

294life
03-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Magic number to clinch a playoff spot is 6.

Good start against Phoenix. Looking forward to attending next Sunday against the Hawks.

294life
03-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Great comeback win at the ACC. My first from the stands. MN down to 4.

ArgoZ
03-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Great comeback win at the ACC. My first from the stands. MN down to 4.

Glad you had a good time at the Raptor Mascot Returns game. It was a frustrating game too watch for three quarters though. Somehow, led by of course Lowry and some key shots by Derozan, the Raps come back and win. It's exciting stuff, that's for sure.

ArgoRavi
03-23-2014, 07:29 PM
While nobody at MLSE would admit this, the best thing that could happen to the Raptors is that they make the playoffs, as it appears that they will, and the Leafs don't. That would at least give them the sports spotlight to themselves in Toronto which has been difficult for them to have over the years.

ArgoZ
03-23-2014, 07:36 PM
While nobody at MLSE would admit this, the best thing that could happen to the Raptors is that they make the playoffs, as it appears that they will, and the Leafs don't. That would at least give them the sports spotlight to themselves in Toronto which has been difficult for them to have over the years.

Interesting thought. I definitely have noticed the Raptor bandwagon growing as of late. Making the playoffs and capitalizing on the popularity surge will result in more season tickets and a healthier franchise.

294life
03-29-2014, 12:14 AM
Way to clinch it in grand fashion tonight. Now for that division title.

294life
04-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Raptors hang on for the win. Series tied 2-2. Fans going nuts near union station. Great gathering there.

Back home Wednesday.

First road playoff win since may 6 2001. Holy crimole

D-Gap-Willie
04-28-2014, 01:59 AM
That was the type of gutsy win you would expect from a very experienced team like the Nets. They played hard and won despite being really banged up physically, especially Lowry - the Nets did quite a number on him in game 3. Then they didn't back down but played tight defence in the fourth, despite 4 starters being in foul trouble.

1argoholic
04-28-2014, 07:33 AM
Really don't care about basketball but it is nice to see a Raptor team that everyone was writing off come back and do what they are doing. Good for the city. If they move on I may try to watch a little. I just prefer to watch NHL playoffs.

ArgoGabe22
05-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Argos get a mention during playoff coverage on http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2014/04/30/20140430-inside-charles-on-canada.nba/index.html?utm_source=social&utm_medium=hootsuite&utm_campaign=twitter

ArgoRavi
05-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Just saw something on the CBC's crawl about how the Raptors' coach had to take the subway to the game today because of traffic issues in Toronto. Heaven forbid!

Deerkeeper
05-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Just saw something on the CBC's crawl about how the Raptors' coach had to take the subway to the game today because of traffic issues in Toronto. Heaven forbid!
Oh the horror! Must really suck to be him.
Have the Raptors lost yet? Can we get back to not caring about basketball again!

1argoholic
05-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Lost in another TO sports heart breaker. Watched the last few minutes and glad I'm not a fan as it was indeed heart breaking. MLSE owned teams just seem to break fans hearts. Will they now build on this year or was this a one year deal. For their fans I hope they can build and grow for next year.

Will
05-04-2014, 04:16 PM
This is a team for which the expectations were zilch before the season started. It is up to management now to figure out how this doesn't become a fluke like 2006-2007.

Neely2005
05-04-2014, 05:41 PM
The curse of MLSE continues...

ArgoRavi
05-04-2014, 06:37 PM
This is a team for which the expectations were zilch before the season started. It is up to management now to figure out how this doesn't become a fluke like 2006-2007. Yeah, it can go one of two ways. While the Raptors did improve this year, it also seemed to be the case that much of the rest of the conference got worse. In fact, the Raps would not have made the playoffs in the Western Conference with their record. So, as 1argoholic asked, is this just a one-year thing or will they continue their improvement next year? One thing that was good for them was to get the Toronto sports spotlight pretty much to themselves over the last couple of weeks.

Will
05-04-2014, 06:50 PM
They need to sign Kyle Lowry or this improvement over the past season will have been all for naught. Assuming that he is signed then they do have a solid young group with DeRozan, Valanciunas, Johnson and Ross.

zontar
05-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Pray for Steve Simmons.

T-Bone
08-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Raptors’ Exhibition Place plan scores victory at Toronto city hall (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/raptors-exhibition-place-plan-scores-victory-at-toronto-city-hall/article20134057/)

ArgoRavi
12-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Drake gets into a fight, seemingly, every other week and yet somehow it is cool for the Raptors to be associated with him. Why is that? One would think that being associated to such an individual would be an embarrassment.

Double Dare
12-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Drake gets into a fight, seemingly, every other week and yet somehow it is cool for the Raptors to be associated with him. Why is that? One would think that being associated to such an individual would be an embarrassment. There are a lot of thug or wannabe thug fans of the NBA.

T-Bone
12-09-2014, 07:56 AM
There are a lot of thug or wannabe thug fans of the NBA.
Stereotyping an entire fan base. Great answer.

Drake gets into a fight, seemingly, every other week and yet somehow it is cool for the Raptors to be associated with him. Why is that?
Really? If he gets in to fights that often you would think he would be a little better at it. Unless people get really upset by this event (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2014/12/08/drake_and_diddy_allegedly_fight_at_miami_nightclub .html) and it affects Raptors ticket sales negatively I doubt MLSE's arrangement with Drake will change. Right and wrong aren't always so clear when it comes to these types of business deals.

One would think that being associated to such an individual would be an embarrassment.
One would think after reading a few of Ricky Foley's tweets (https://twitter.com/Foley4Real) no one would want to be associated with him.

ArgoGabe22
12-09-2014, 10:07 AM
One would think after reading a few of Ricky Foley's tweets (https://twitter.com/Foley4Real) no one would want to be associated with him.

Sorry wouldn't know - You are blocked from following @Foley4Real and viewing @Foley4Real's Tweets. LOL

Another blunder by the Raptors is how they ambushed Jonathan Bernier, who clearly has no idea who Mandela was, but the Raptors went ahead and posted the interview on their social media sites. http://deadspin.com/jonathan-bernier...n-m-1668629411 (http://deadspin.com/jonathan-bernier-humiliatingly-has-no-idea-who-nelson-m-1668629411)

ArgoRavi
04-25-2015, 01:02 PM
It looks like the power of Drake has worn off. I guess Paul Pierce was correct when he said that the Raptors lack the "it factor".

1argoholic
04-25-2015, 06:55 PM
Craptors are another proud MLSE team. hahaha! Losers.

ArgoRavi
04-26-2015, 11:24 PM
It is almost like the Raptors gave up after losing the first two games at home. I know that home court means more in basketball than any other sport but the Raps showed a real lack of heart over those last two games. Their new slogan should be "We NOT the North."

Will
01-29-2016, 08:40 AM
I know 99% of you don't care, but the Raptors have won 10 straight. Of course, this means nothing if they don't maintain consistent play after the all-star break and achieve actual playoff success.

ArgoGabe22
05-02-2016, 10:24 AM
I have never been so annoyed as a Raptors fan by other fans and the ever so bias media. The Raptors narrowly won the best of 7 while being outplayed, outscored and outcoached throughout the series. Their star players, Lowry and DeRozen were both horribly inconsistent yet it was supposed to be an easy series and the team is at least expected to make it to the 2nd round.

Whats getting to me is how the fans and media (especially on twitter) are acting like how impressive this win was and its as if the team won something substantial. Raptors are very lucky to win the series having almost blowing game 5 and almost gave up a 16 point lead last night. As a fan, I'm actually concerned that this team is not as good as your typical 2nd seed and will struggle again vs Miami. When you expose their flaws though, "fans" are quick to call you a hater.

To me if the team is expected to make a deep run into the playoffs then a excessive celebration after Round 1 isn't needed. At least the team knows this and according to Matthew Scianitti the team did not celebrate afterwards in the locker-room and are already preparing for Miami. I will never cheer against the Raptors but I sure won't be heartbroken to see them struggle against Miami because I am being realistic.

ArgoZ
05-02-2016, 01:48 PM
It doesn't bother me the series went seven games. As we have learned in all sports, nothing is gauranteed. The East was a tight division, these are pro athletes and anyone can beat anyone. Charlotte pushed Miami to 7 and not many people thought that would happen. Paul George had a great playoff, it's hard to defend someone like that.

I agree, it's frustrating at times, because we know this team can be so much better. The media has been very critical of the team leading up to this game. As for the fans, the Raptors tend to have a younger following, so that might contribute to the bandwagoning knowledge of all sport, not just basketball. Everyone is riding a high after a win, so it's understandable. I watched the game in a packed theatre with 200 or so knowledgeable fans. There were no misconceptions of the team. We talked about how Derozan must step up, which he did. How Lowry hasn't been the same since his injury and how the team misses a three point threat like Lou Williams, even though they are supposedly stronger defensively.

I don't believe they were out coached. Unfair to blame a coach when almost no one can hit an open three and have terrible looking turnovers. Give Casey some credit for benching Scola for Patterson and playing an unproven rookie in Powell, who came up huge for them.

I don't let fans get me down, and especially stop me from enjoying the game. It's been exciting so far and there is no reason that they can't suddenly play to their potential and beat Miami. Of course, if they lose hard, not surprising either. Let's see what's in store and have fun with it!

AngeloV
05-02-2016, 05:04 PM
Raptors really should have won this series with ease. Their guards better shoot a lot better than 35% if they have any desire to do damage.

Personally, I think I can cheer for the Raptors, but the constant Drake shots are really annoying. The focus should be on the team, not the celebrity egomaniacal ambassador.

Golden Fleece
05-02-2016, 05:31 PM
Whats getting to me is how the fans and media (especially on twitter) are acting like how impressive this win was and its as if the team won something substantial. It's impressive insofar as it ends a long drought and gets a monkey off their back. Just as it was for the Jays to finally win a division and make the playoffs last year. I don't begrudge Raptors fans their enjoyment here. They waited a long time to let some emotion out like this. Of course if they were Argo fans, they would have been able to enjoy a team with more recent success.

Will
05-15-2016, 06:27 PM
Congratulations to the Raptors for making it to the Final 4.

Golden Fleece
05-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Congratulations to the Raptors for making it to the Final 4. +1 Did it the hard way, but good for them.

jerrym
05-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Raptors on brink of elimination.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/raptors-recap-cavaliers-dominant-lowry-andderozan/article30170807/

AngeloV
05-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Steve Simmons wrote about seeing DeMarre Carroll and Cory Joseph in the casino at 2am Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. To me, this is total BS journalism. Why is this relevant for an 8:30 pm start on Wednesday? I can understand if it was an afternoon game, but it wasn't. Simmons sometimes can be a really good writer, but IMO it's write ups like this that bring down his reputation. Way too TMZ'ish for me.

When speaking on the Naylor and Landsberg morning show, he also seemed to pat himself on the back for telling coach Casey about it privately, rather than in front of the rest of the media after the game. Telling the coach on these guys, when he truly has no vested interest is also a "rat" move.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/26/carroll-joseph-put-reps-on-line-with-late-night-casino-visit

R.J
05-26-2016, 03:11 PM
I agree AV; this is a bit ridiculous.
http://www.tsn.ca/nba/video/simmons-on-carroll-and-joseph-s-late-night-casino-visit~877784

ArgoGabe22
05-26-2016, 03:16 PM
What was Simmons doing there at 2am? Athletes have their own pre-game schedule/ritual as well as being a late game. No concerns unless they came to the game under some sort of influence.

ArgoRavi
05-27-2016, 12:16 AM
Steve Simmons wrote about seeing DeMarre Carroll and Cory Joseph in the casino at 2am Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. To me, this is total BS journalism. Why is this relevant for an 8:30 pm start on Wednesday? I can understand if it was an afternoon game, but it wasn't. Simmons sometimes can be a really good writer, but IMO it's write ups like this that bring down his reputation. Way too TMZ'ish for me.

When speaking on the Naylor and Landsberg morning show, he also seemed to pat himself on the back for telling coach Casey about it privately, rather than in front of the rest of the media after the game. Telling the coach on these guys, when he truly has no vested interest is also a "rat" move.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/26/carroll-joseph-put-reps-on-line-with-late-night-casino-visit

I agree, AV. With the game not starting until 8:30 pm that night, being out at a casino at 2 am is hardly news-worthy IMO. I don't see it as having played a role in their defeat that night.

Will
05-28-2016, 07:49 AM
I did not expect the Raptors to beat Cleveland, however, I still consider this a successful season for them. They went 56-26 and made it farther than they have in the past. But, this is no time to sit on their laurels because there are teams in the East such as Detroit and Boston that are on their way up. Masai must find a way to ensure that this team can be in a better position to complete with a team like Cleveland in the future because I think the goal next year should be the NBA Finals. But, nevertheless congratulations to the Raptors on a great season.

Argo57
05-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Small roster sizes mean a teams fortune can rise and fall pretty quickly.

AngeloV
05-28-2016, 10:55 PM
I think the goal next year should be the NBA Finals. But, nevertheless congratulations to the Raptors on a great season.

If that is there goal, they need to start by getting rid of Lowry. I get that he played 3 good games in the last series, but the last 3 playoffs overall, he has not been what you need out of your point guard. He doesn't make the players around him better, and he is brutal defensively. Add to the fact that at 30, he is probably on the way down and I honestly don't see the team getting better with him as their floor general.

KCargosfan
05-29-2016, 02:41 AM

I wrote in some surprise about this in another thread and stated it probably wasn't a good idea before a playoff game, but you're right on here. Crap journalism, and NBA players are basically night shift workers. For an 8:30 p.m. playoff start, they would probably report for work around 5, if even that early.

So if you say they work from roughly 4- midnight, or 5-1 a.m, then being out at 2 is no big deal. How do we know they weren't walking back to the hotel room to sleep?

I mean if it was 5 a.m. and Carroll had a Jack & Coke in one hand and a cigarette in another while yelling, "here come the dice!" at the craps table, that might be a story, but this isn't.

Will
12-30-2016, 11:48 AM
The Raptors will likely win their 50+ games this year, but it is clear that (unless things change drastically) that they still do not possess the ability to defeat Cleveland or Golden State.

ArgoZ
12-30-2016, 05:13 PM
The Raptors will likely win their 50+ games this year, but it is clear that (unless things change drastically) that they still do not possess the ability to defeat Cleveland or Golden State.

Pretty much what was said at the beginning of the season. When the team is on, they are the third best in the league. Next to impossible to beat Golden State with a team of All-Stars. Cleveland can be beat. Last year, the difference was Lebron. Put him on the Raps and they win that series, so the teams are very close. Hope for a Nancy Kerrigan to his knee and they win this year! As for the future, we can only hope Wiggans becomes an elite star and the team uses their hometown card to get him here.

ArgoZ
05-07-2017, 10:07 AM
If that is there goal, they need to start by getting rid of Lowry. I get that he played 3 good games in the last series, but the last 3 playoffs overall, he has not been what you need out of your point guard. He doesn't make the players around him better, and he is brutal defensively. Add to the fact that at 30, he is probably on the way down and I honestly don't see the team getting better with him as their floor general.

As the Raptors season looks to be over, this is now the general consensus of the hard core fans. U called it, bravo.

Argo57
05-07-2017, 12:36 PM
As the Raptors season looks to be over, this is now the general consensus of the hard core fans. U called it, bravo.

Time to retool, simply not good enough.
Show the coach the door as well.

AngeloV
05-08-2017, 06:02 PM

Lowry is an ok PG. Problem is, I don't think he himself knows what he is. He is neither a great scorer or distributor of the ball. At that position, you at least need to be excellent at one if your are going to be elite, not just pretty good at both. The team themselves do these guys no favour either. The manufactured attempt to have their fans vote them into the All Star game, to me is just wrong. I think going to the All Star game makes some players think they are better than they actually are.

I don't agree with that. I think that Casey is a very good coach. The talent level isn't what some believe it is.

ArgoGabe22
05-08-2017, 06:28 PM
I think Lowry was a perfect fit for an ok Raptors team after a couple of bad years. But now that the Raptors are actually getting serious about having a good playoff run, its clear that Lowry won't be the one to carry the team to the promised land.

Argo57
05-08-2017, 08:37 PM
I think Lowry was a perfect fit for an ok Raptors team after a couple of bad years. But now that the Raptors are actually getting serious about having a good playoff run, its clear that Lowry won't be the one to carry the team to the promised land.

Lowry may not want to return and if he does would command max money and term ($35 million/year for 5 years).
Wear and tear plus age will be a factor as well, we may have seen the best from him so declining performance is a real possibility for the life of his contract.

gilthethrill
05-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Time to retool, simply not good enough.

Raptors should look down the 401 at London Lightnings HC, Canadian Kyle Julius. He was just named NBL COY and deservedly so.

Will
02-08-2018, 01:44 PM
The Raptors have an outstanding bench, which is a huge part of why they are just a game back of the first seed in the east. You look at VanVleet, Poetl, Siakam or Miles and they all give a lift to the team off the bench. I believe that they can compete with the other teams in the east in a playoff series if DeMar and Kyle get their act together playoff-wise. They'll also have to see if Cleveland continues to implode (they're wheeling and dealing on deadline day). It is unlikely in my mind though that they can compete with the best teams in the western conference.

Will
05-12-2018, 10:29 AM
The Raptors made it to the second round before being swept by the Cavaliers for the second straight season. This is the third season in a row that the Raptors have lost to the Cavaliers in the playoffs one way or another. It has also cost coach Dwane Casey his job, which has been controversial. Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan's playoff performances have been inconsistent (at best) over the years and many wonder if Casey needed to fall on his sword for that? At the end of the day though, what can you do against Lebron James? That's the roadblock that will haunt the Raptors so long as #23 plays in the east. I guess Masai felt that the Raptors needed to look like they were doing something.

Billspreseason
06-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Nick Nurse reportedly hired as the Raptors next head coach. Will be interesting to see if he can match Casey's performance.

Billspreseason
07-18-2018, 04:48 PM
OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY!

FYI, I know some of you don't care, but the Raptors landing Kawhi is a major deal. He is a top 5 NBA talent, in my opinion, probably top 3!

AngeloV
07-18-2018, 07:17 PM
OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY!

FYI, I know some of you don't care, but the Raptors landing Kawhi is a major deal. He is a top 5 NBA talent, in my opinion, probably top 3!

Hard to say that definitively when he only played 9 games last year. It will also be interesting to see if his stardom is for real, or if he just played on a good team, with a great coach. If he doesn't play to to the level people are expecting, or even leaves after the year, bad trade. A team like the Raptors, who never have been able to land an elite free agent, really can't afford to give p their number 1 pick for a 2nd consecutive year.

Argo57
07-18-2018, 07:26 PM
OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY!

Enjoy him in a Raptors uniform for 1 year.

Argo57
07-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Hard to say that definitively when he only played 9 games last year. It will also be interesting to see if his stardom is for real, or if he just played on a good team, with a great coach. If he doesn't play to to the level people are expecting, or even leaves after the year, bad trade. A team like the Raptors, who never have been able to land an elite free agent, really can't afford to give p their number 1 pick for a 2nd consecutive year.

Definitely a gamble with this deal, Leonard’s health and attitude could be an issue as he has stated he has no desire to play in Toronto.
DeRozen has been a model citizen in Toronto and will be missed.
Disappointed to hear the Raptors told DeRozen he wouldn’t be traded then turn around and deal him, bad optics on that one.

Will
09-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Kawhi said all the right things today. I don't know if he'll stay, but he's going to do his utmost to make the 2017-2018 season a successful one for the Raptors.

Will
05-13-2019, 08:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75iExVNvrWw

gilthethrill
05-13-2019, 11:21 AM
My interest in basketball diminished when KW eliminated the London Lightning in game 5 of their series. I took that loss hard.

Neely2005
05-13-2019, 01:21 PM
Kawhi Leonard is the best player that the Raptors have ever had.

Will
05-13-2019, 01:26 PM
Kawhi Leonard is the best player that the Raptors have ever had.

That he is.

The Bucks are going to be a tough series. I just hope the Raptors aren't too emotionally exhausted from the Philly series. The Bucks finished their 2nd round series in 5.

Neely2005
05-13-2019, 02:00 PM
That he is.

The Bucks are going to be a tough series. I just hope the Raptors aren't too emotionally exhausted from the Philly series. The Bucks finished their 2nd round series in 5.

It will be tough but I think we'll beat the Bucks.

Will
05-26-2019, 01:26 PM
There is still one step to go -- but I would be remiss if I didn't extend my congratulations to the Raptors on winning the eastern conference.

AngeloV
05-26-2019, 09:23 PM
There is still one step to go -- but I would be remiss if I didn't extend my congratulations to the Raptors on winning the eastern conference.

Good for them, but man is Drake ever embarrassing. It’s 100% an act.

OV Argo
05-26-2019, 10:37 PM
Congrats to the Raptors !

First Toronto pro sports team to make it to the Championship Finals since the Jays in 93.

As Steve Simmons says, this Leonard guy is the greatest pro athlete Toronto has ever seen.

Argo57
05-27-2019, 06:52 PM
Congrats to the Raptors !

First Toronto pro sports team to make it to the Championship Finals since the Jays in 93.

As Steve Simmons says, this Leonard guy is the greatest pro athlete Toronto has ever seen.

Similar comments on Landsberg’s show this morning, even TFC got a mention for their championship.
As we all know Argo 5 Grey Cup Championships since 1993 don’t count in some people’s eyes🖕🖕
But yes congrats to the Raptors and their long suffering fans, well deserved and enjoy the ride👍

AngeloV
05-27-2019, 10:48 PM
Similar comments on Landsberg’s show this morning, even TFC got a mention for their championship.
As we all know Argo 5 Grey Cup Championships since 1993 don’t count in some people’s eyes
But yes congrats to the Raptors and their long suffering fans, well deserved and enjoy the ride

I honestly don't care if the majority of people don't consider Argos championships as important as the "major leagues" ones. They mean a lot to me, and in my world, that's all that matters. I have accepted the fact that a league that doesn't pay out multi million dollar contracts will never get the attention that the other ones do. It won't stop my passions for the Argos in particular and CFL as a whole. It used to bother me a lot, but it doesn't anymore.

gilthethrill
05-28-2019, 08:20 AM
As we all know Argo 5 Grey Cup Championships since 1993 don’t count in some people’s eyes
But yes congrats to the Raptors and their long suffering fans, well deserved and enjoy the ride

Comments such as these ( made by employees of TSN of all places) sure make the jobs of the hard working people in the Argos marketing department and ticket offices even more difficult.

OV Argo
05-28-2019, 05:59 PM
Comments such as these ( made by employees of TSN of all places) sure make the jobs of the hard working people in the Argos marketing department and ticket offices even more difficult.

Yep - did you expect anything different though. After all - this is the "Major League" NBA we're talking here.

This K. Leonard guy is a better and more important athlete than Dick Shatto, Jim Corrigall and Pinball Clemons put together; wether he is better than Johnny Bower, Dave Keon & Darryl Sittler put together; or Dave Stieb, Roberto Alomar & Joe Carter put together - well, maybe that is debatable.

Again, congrats Raptors and like to see them take the title.

Enjoy the band-wagon ride wannabes - hope too many don't get hurt if they fall off. The fawning in the world class Toronna media will be something to behold if the Raptors can win the Championship.

:fart:

Argo57
05-28-2019, 06:05 PM

That is the puzzling part, TSN has the broadcast rights for the CFL and Landsberg is a lifelong Argo fan and season ticket holder.

Argo57
05-28-2019, 06:07 PM
Yep - did you expect anything different though. After all - this is the "Major League" NBA we're talking here.

This K. Leonard guy is a better and more important athlete than Dick Shatto, Jim Corrigall and Pinball Clemons put together; wether he is better than Johnny Bower, Dave Keon & Darryl Sittler put together; or Dave Stieb, Roberto Alomar & Joe Carter put together - well, maybe that is debatable.

Again, congrats Raptors and like to see them take the title.

Enjoy the band-wagon ride wannabes - hope too many don't get hurt if they fall off. The fawning in the world class Toronna media will be something to behold if the Raptors can win the Championship.

:fart:

Admittedly I’m enjoying the Raptors run but it remains a possibility that this could in fact be a “one and done” chance at a championship.
If Leonard signs elsewhere let the rebuild begin.

argolio
05-28-2019, 11:41 PM
If this series goes at least six, good thing the Argos have a bye in week one.

Ron
05-29-2019, 12:48 AM
I don't let the media dictate my enjoyment. I'm happy for the team and Raptor fans who have dreamed of this for 25 years. The sports fan knows that the argos won the Cup and even that the Marlies won last year. The main media dolts will just keep pushing the narrative regardless of reality.

hell ... in the US there are those that are pushing the narrative that Kawhi is now the best player in the NBA. Something Kawhi doesn't give one rats tushy about. All he cares about is winning the game. But if you actually watch the games there is no doubt that guy is incredible and the best player the Raptors ever had.

Ron
05-29-2019, 12:50 AM
Admittedly I’m enjoying the Raptors run but it remains a possibility that this could in fact be a “one and done” chance at a championship.
If Leonard signs elsewhere let the rebuild begin.

If he leaves there won't be a rebuild. Without him they are still a solid playoff team with a lot of room to grow.

Argo57
05-29-2019, 06:36 AM
If he leaves there won't be a rebuild. Without him they are still a solid playoff team with a lot of room to grow.

Highly doubt it.
If Leonard leaves you are left with Marc Gasol 34 years old, Kyle Lowry 33 years old, Serge Ibaka almost 30 years old with Danny Green probably gone which would lead to major roster turnover in the next 1-2 years.
This is their chance!

Ron
06-08-2019, 03:26 AM
One more game!

Was very impressed to see them not celebrate going up 3-1. They are focused.

Argo57
06-08-2019, 03:47 AM
One more game!

Was very impressed to see them not celebrate going up 3-1. They are focused.

Pretty amazing Ron, we are all enjoying the ride.
No showboating, just staying focused until the job is done!

Argo57
06-14-2019, 12:13 AM
Congrats to the Toronto Raptors and their long suffering fans, NBA Champions!

gilthethrill
06-14-2019, 07:13 AM
Congrats to the Toronto Raptors and their long suffering fans, NBA Champions!

And congratulations to the millions of month long Raptor fans too!

Will
06-14-2019, 01:05 PM
They showed the game on the screen at Tim Hortons' Field after the football game was done. It was very, very weird watching Hamiltonians in their Ticat jerseys cheering for a Toronto team.

AngeloV
06-14-2019, 01:41 PM
They showed the game on the screen at Tim Hortons' Field after the football game was done. It was very, very weird watching Hamiltonians in their Ticat jerseys cheering for a Toronto team.

I'm glad it's over. Now the rest of the country can go back to hating Toronto. Hypocrites.

:)

Will
06-14-2019, 02:19 PM
I'm glad it's over. Now the rest of the country can go back to hating Toronto. Hypocrites.

To be fair though, Hamilton is close enough to Toronto that it makes sense from a geographic perspective that they would cheer for Toronto teams (aside from the Argos).

AngeloV
06-14-2019, 03:17 PM
To be fair though, Hamilton is close enough to Toronto that it makes sense from a geographic perspective that they would cheer for Toronto teams (aside from the Argos).

Why are we the ones that always have to be fair?

Ron
06-15-2019, 02:44 PM

Cheering for the basketball team doesn't mean they liked Toronto. They still hate Toronto but the Raptors happened to be the only NBA team in the country. They were cheering for "Canada's NBA team and the players" ... not the city.

Ron
06-18-2019, 12:47 AM
Best parade ever. Showed everything the Six has to offer ... right down to the shootings unrelated to the event.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8