PDA

View Full Version : TSN & the NFL season opener

OV Argo
09-05-2012, 07:59 PM
On tonight - NFL kick-off special - one hour pre-game show to open TSN's coverage of the NFL season - Cowboys vs. Giants to follow; interesting.

:hmmmm:

Will
09-05-2012, 08:29 PM
TSN covering the NFL is nothing new.

ArgoRavi
09-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Did TSN do their own pregame show or did they just pick up ESPN's?

argolio
09-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Did TSN do their own pregame show or did they just pick up ESPN's?Didn't see it, but it was an NBC game, and I assume TSN used their feed for the pregame show as well.

OV Argo
09-06-2012, 09:02 AM
The point is - they dedicated an hour of air time to cover/hype the NFL season opener; and they did NOT have the time to do so for the CFL season opener; Canada's sporrt leader and the HOME of the CFL - yep.

Will
09-06-2012, 09:03 AM
TSN had a preview special for the CFL that aired on a separate day from the actual games. The game between Saskatchewan and Hamilton started at 7:00 ET while the Giants and Cowboys started at 8:30 ET. The pre-game stuff is part of the coverage between 7:00 PM at 8:30 PM, the questions that need to be answered are as follows:

(i) Was the coverage between 7:00 and 8:30 run by TSN or was it a simulcast of whatever NBC or ESPN was airing at the time.
(ii) Did TSN pre-empt any of their OTR or SportsCentre to air the NFL Preview?

What are we all concerned about anyways? The CFL ratings on TSN are much better than the NFL.

1argoholic
09-06-2012, 11:51 AM
How many crap singers do they have to haul out on these specials. The NFL needs the extra hype because if it came down to just the game, yawn. I was going to watch but man it was boring. I don't care what anyone says the game drags. Every year I have issues getting into NFL ball until the CFL season starts to get towards the end. I do watch the Vikes if they're on though.

paulwoods13
09-06-2012, 12:44 PM
This has been hashed out before. If the NFL game started at 7 and TSN ran a U.S.-based pregame show from 6 to 7, there would be legitimate grounds for complaining that they do more to promote the NFL than the CFL. But since the NFL game started at 8:30, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. TSN will, IMO, always stick with SportsCentre from 6 to 7 over a pregame show because SportsCentre draws big ratings and TSN does not want to surrender general sportscast viewers to Rogers in favour of viewers of a single sport. I don't think TSN showing a pregame show at 7:30 on opening night proves anything other than they are trying to maximize ratings from 7:30 to 8:30. And again, it's pretty tough to criticize TSN for failing to promote the CFL. Their preseason package this year was massive -- three hours in total (two-hour season preview and two other half-hour shows), if I'm not mistaken. The fact that it all had to be shown a night or two before the season started (with a doubleheader starting at 7p ET/4p PT) is not a negative but a positive, IMO.

argofandave
09-07-2012, 12:47 AM
I was at Burlington Ribfest on Sunday so I taped the Winnipeg at Saskatchewan game and watched it on Wednesday night.

1argoholic
09-07-2012, 02:15 AM
That rib feast is right along the waterfront isn't it Dave? That area just keeps becoming nicer and nicer as we noticed while visiting my aunt in Burlington last summer.

argofandave
09-07-2012, 11:17 AM
It's called "Canada's Largest Ribfest" and is held at Spencer Smith Park which is right on the lake at Lakeshore and Brant. I've gone every year since 2005. I usually go for just 1 day but this year I went on Friday, Sunday, and after the game on Monday. I don't even bother buying ribs since the lineups for every booth is so long. There's this great brewpub (Pepperwood)across the street so I walk over there for a beer instead of buying beer at ribfest.

DanTheFan
09-07-2012, 08:52 PM
I watched the NBC version as it was in HD and I don't have the TV package that offers TSN in HD. Jumped in at 8:30 and missed the pre-game. Well... most of it as those cringe-worthy over-the-top anthem performances definitely lack importance for this football fan.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8