PDA

View Full Version : Esks / Riders trade

OV Argo
09-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Mods may want to move this to the CFL thread here, but i thought it has some Argo relevance:

Esks trade import receiver Greg Carr to the Riders for the rights to NI OT Matt O'Donnell (been on the Bengals roster last year and this TC till he recently got cut); O'Donnell maybe similar to Reinders in that he is a huge NI O-Lineman who drew some NFL interest (though O'Donnell was a proven, repeat all-star CIS O-lineman - unlike Reinders); and Carr is a huge target import receiver who has shown some definite CFL skills - though not a consistent receiver so far; wasn't Paulwoods mentioning Carr as a receiver he's like the Argos to acquire? - intriguing package in an area of definte Argo need.

Mid-season deals can be fairly rare and no guarantee they will work-out; but wondering if Barker is sniffing around other CFL rosters now; for a receiver (could he have tried for Carr, or some other CFL experiened receiver?), or maybe an O-Lineman? - if the Esks land O'Donnell, like to see Barker inquire about Esks back-up O-Lineman Scott Mitchell - CFL 1st rounder last year who has seemed to not progress or impress much in Edmonton - but a top notch starting OT in Div I US college ball; the Esks and Als (eg. Kristan Matte) both have a stock-pile of NI O-line talent - not playing , and the Argos are looking weak there - I'd be making some trade inquiries. Tilspin is a wheeler-dealer though - guess he gave up on Carr who seemed like big off-season acquistion.

argolio
09-05-2012, 11:20 PM
My half-assed analysis: Esks win just by getting rid of Carr. If O'Donnell pans out, then it's a grand larceny steal.

1argoholic
09-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Carr is a stiff.

argolio
09-05-2012, 11:33 PM
In another trade:

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats acquired import defensive lineman Torrey Davis from the Calgary Stampeders on Wednesday in exchange for future considerations.Not much of a surprise the Cats traded for D since they are last in the league in sacks, rush defense, and total defense.

Nob
09-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Tillman wins again by acquiring NI assets for an American receiver. No offence to Carr, but import receivers should be easier for your personnel guys to find than NI OL.

No idea if O'Donnell pans out (I watched a few Queens games. Yeah, he's big, but he didn't overwhelm me), but moving an overpaid import receiver for a Canadian OL is a win.

paulwoods13
09-06-2012, 11:30 AM
wasn't Paulwoods mentioning Carr as a receiver he's like the Argos to acquire? - intriguing package in an area of definte Argo need.

I proposed last season that he be obtained from Wpg for Boyd. I'm less enamoured of Carr now, but would not be surprised to see him excel with Sask. There is no chance I would trade an NI prospect like Reinders for him, tho.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8