PDA

View Full Version : CFL on TSN

gilthethrill
09-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Why does TSN neglect to show the starting lineups? Instead they discuss starters to watch....3 players they discuss briefly. Do they do this with NHL hockey too?

ArgoRavi
09-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Why does TSN neglect to show the starting lineups? Instead the discuss starters to watch....3 players they discuss briefly. Do they do this with NHL hockey too?

This has been a bad move on TSN's part IMO. I really don't understand their reasoning on this. One issue that I have had with TSN is the poor job that they do letting us know of lineup changes during the game. I guess by not stating what the starting lineups are, we can't possibly know who might actually have been hurt or benched which makes it irrelevant if TSN doesn't inform us.

Mulder
09-08-2012, 07:24 AM
I don't know if CFLonTSN even takes feedback from viewers but maybe contact them about this? On Sunday or Monday i'll see if I can round up an email address.

That and the huge suggestion that they should fire rod black.

gilthethrill
09-08-2012, 09:04 AM
When I posted this thread I was afraid I was coming off as a bit of a complainer. Thanks for sharing my view guys. There is a TSN sideline reporter, but as Ravi said, lineup changes during the game are ignored unless the quarterback leaves the game. Even the pre-game show talks about the obvious story lines, I like to know other key matchups that effect the game.

jerrym
09-08-2012, 04:18 PM
I agree. However, I think the answer is this is typical of the celebrity mentality that dominates all aspects of the media, whether sports, news or entertainment. Focus on a few celebrities to draw the marginal viewer, while offering much less in the way of in-depth analysis, although I do think the half-time shows do that to some extent.

paulwoods13
09-08-2012, 09:43 PM
On the plus side, I had to miss going to the game today and it was a giant pleasure to hear Rod S and Matt in the booth. TSN's best combo, IMO. Smith is not as good a play-by-play guy as Cuthbert but is still very good (and miles better than the other Rod), and Matt is the most entertaining analyst they have, by far.

ArgoRavi
10-12-2012, 09:14 PM
This thread needs to be bumped. I realized tonight while watching the B.C./Hamilton game that I really don't know who is on the Hamilton offensive line and some of the issues that they have been having regarding injuries. I would probably know much more if the full starting lineups were being listed by TSN as the networks have been doing for decades prior to this season. Yes, I know that I can check on the web but I really should not have to do that.

argolio
10-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Agreed Ravi. No reason they can't list full starting lineups AND focus on some key players.

paulwoods13
10-13-2012, 07:30 AM
I think part of the problem is that the "starting lineup" often does not actually start or play much of the game intact, as a unit. I've been to many Argo games where, for instance, Durie was announced as a starter but the first play of the game featured double tight ends and no Durie. TSN got exposed on things like that a few times back when they were announcing "starters." You could see someone else on the field even as they were listing the starters.

With all the situation substitutions, being declared a starter doesn't matter too much these days. The Argos rotate six d-linemen -- whoever starts the game there (regardless of who is announced as starting) isn't necessarily going to play the majority of the snaps. Obviously this does not apply to o-linemen, though.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8