PDA

View Full Version : September 15th 2012: Toronto Argonauts vs. BC Lions

T-Bone
09-09-2012, 12:10 PM
http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/tor.png vs. http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/bc.png

Week 12
Saturday, September 15th 2012 at 7:00pm ET.
BC Place. Vancouver, BC.

TV: TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508)
TSN Mobile TV: Details Here (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/)
Radio: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/radio/feature/?id=43622)
Audio Webcast: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/)

US Viewing:
Video Webcast: ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/channel/espn3)

Depth Chart: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2012)

Arogs Comeback Falls Short In BC (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-comeback-falls-short-in-bc)

jerrym
09-09-2012, 12:33 PM
This should be a real test for the Argos as the Lions are by far the best team in the league while the wins over Hamilton showed improvement in the offence to some extent. The Hamilton games also raise questions as to how much of that success came as a result of the weak Hamilton defence.

Will
09-09-2012, 01:04 PM
This should be a real test for the Argos as the Lions are by far the best team in the league while the wins over Hamilton showed improvement in the offence to some extent. The Hamilton games also raise questions as to how much of that success came as a result of the weak Hamilton defence.

You can't control who you're playing.

The Lions will be a much sterner test for the Argos though. The Lions carved the Als up pretty nicely yesterday.

ArgoRavi
09-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Nice to see that this game will be on in prime time in the east which should draw some excellent TV numbers.

1argoholic
09-09-2012, 02:45 PM
We haven't won in these parts since the summer of 02. I've said it over and over and stopped heading over to Vancouver to watch them lose about five years ago. However I have a good feeling this year and they have to win before we move back to Ontario. Oh well here's hoping and we'll be there.

Will
09-09-2012, 04:05 PM
We haven't won in these parts since the summer of 02. I've said it over and over and stopped heading over to Vancouver to watch them lose about five years ago. However I have a good feeling this year and they have to win before we move back to Ontario. Oh well here's hoping and we'll be there.

Maybe they won't win until you move back to Ontario.

gilthethrill
09-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Toronto will put up more of a fight than the team based out of Montreal did yesterday. Look for a close, hard hitting game. Nice to be looking forward to a big game this early in the season as an Argo fan.

Potential Grey Cup matchup.

argotom
09-09-2012, 06:26 PM
I hope the team flies out like some do 2 days before to get use to the time zone.
Still though it will be 4pm eastern, a positive for us.
Anyway a quick start is needed.

Will
09-09-2012, 06:31 PM
I'd hope that the Argos come out stronger than the Alouettes did yesterday. The last two games out there have been afternoon games and it did us very little although there is obviously a significant difference between this year's team and ours.

argolio
09-09-2012, 07:08 PM
I hope the team flies out like some do 2 days before to get use to the time zone.
Still though it will be 4pm eastern, a positive for us.
Anyway a quick start is needed.It'll be 4 Pacific, so 7 Eastern.

1argoholic
09-09-2012, 08:10 PM
They can talk all they want about the time zone meaning nothing. I remember dragging my arse around for a couple months after moving here. I was always tired. Funny how Hamilton does well here though.

Argo-Les
09-09-2012, 08:26 PM
we can do this!
we are getting better each week!
once we click on ALL cylinders.................look out!

Midnight Blue
09-10-2012, 01:31 AM
we can do this!
we are getting better each week!
once we click on ALL cylinders.................look out!

Welcome aboard, Argo-Les. And please stop being so negative.

Ron
09-10-2012, 02:15 AM

I just looked out my window and saw four guys on horses heading west.

hugoagogo
09-10-2012, 02:56 AM
Jeebus! Good luck Argos! You win this one, and a statement has been made. I think the receiving core is in place, and the running game is solid. Defense will win this one!

jerrym
09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
It'll be 4 Pacific, so 7 Eastern.

Playing the game at 4 PM Pacific (7 PM Eastern) means that the jet lag effect should be less of a factor than would be the case if they played at 7 PM Pacific. However, they still have to deal with the high noise level of the closed stadium (Buono always wants the stadium roof closed even on the sunniest of days to increase the noise level when opponents have the ball, although he is sometimes overruled by senior management).

ArgoRavi
09-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Playing the game at 4 PM Pacific (7 PM Eastern) means that the jet lag effect should be less of a factor than would be the case if they played at 7 PM Pacific. However, they still have to deal with the high noise level of the closed stadium (Buono always wants the stadium roof closed even on the sunniest of days to increase the noise level when opponents have the ball, although he is sometimes overruled by senior management).

Even with the roof open, it sounded pretty loud on Saturday. You are right about Wally though.

RICKEARS
09-11-2012, 10:26 AM
think this will be the 100th Greycup match

Wobbler
09-12-2012, 01:17 AM
BC made our offense look pitiful in week 6, partly because they overwhelmed our OL. We've made a few changes since then and our protection has been somewhat better. We've also been going 2TE more frequently, both for blocking and receiving, and that could help too.

We've now had a chance to evaluate almost all of the receivers on our roster; we'll be fielding an optimized lineup going forward, including a couple of guys BC hasn't seen this year.

I'd like to believe that we'll do well after the emotional high of sweeping Hamilton, but the last time we faced BC we were coming off the high of beating the Alouettes in Montreal - and that didn't help. Perhaps BC will be complacent after embarassing the Alouettes and claiming first place overall.

Having said all that, we'll probably lose. This is the toughest game remaining on our schedule, and they've been better than us this year. We'll lose on Saturday, but then we'll punish the Als (again) eight days later en route to winning the division.

RICKEARS
09-12-2012, 08:36 AM
well next 3 game are away games (hope to win 2 of 3) but then from there we will have 4-1 Home games to close up the season

D-Gap-Willie
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm hoping for much improved offense from the last meeting with the Lions, and better defensive intensity. We'll see if the improved OL has really improved. The constant personnel shuffling of Jones' defensive schemes sometimes seems to have some negative effect on intensity and concentration. We'll just wait and see !
I give the edge to both defenses in a close game, but I think the Lions will squeek it out. That's OK ! I'd rather wear the underdog tag and have the revenge factor going for us, when we face them in the GC.

D-Gap-Willie
09-12-2012, 09:52 AM
I hope there are still decent seats left, when I get to the ticket office. Anyone know what the presale is like ? Our plane arrives from Seoul at about 12:40 - then need to get downtown and buy some tickets. Lions would sell me tickets but insisted that they could only send them to my Canadian address, and couldn't prebuy and pick them up. Tickets in Kelowna and us in Vancouver did not seem to quite work.

Mulder
09-12-2012, 10:02 AM
I hope there are still decent seats left, when I get to the ticket office. Anyone know what the presale is like ? Our plane arrives from Seoul at about 12:40 - then need to get downtown and buy some tickets. Lions would sell me tickets but insisted that they could only send them to my Canadian address, and couldn't prebuy and pick them up. Tickets in Kelowna and us in Vancouver did not seem to quite work.

That sounds odd to me, usually they have a Will Call booth setup at the game. I'd assume there will still be tons of tickets available.

Will
09-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Are you trying to purchase off of ticketmaster? All I do nowadays is just use the TicketFast feature that e-mails the tickets to me so I can print them off.

argonaut11xx
09-12-2012, 06:39 PM
The Lions v Al's game last saturday was blacked out in the greater Vancouver area...anyone know if this game is?

I would be attending the game, however me and Lil Bec are getting married on saturday at 1 pm, ive got cable access our or venue, and if the game isnt blacked out, it will be playing.

I think our defence will give Lulay a rough go of it, and if Ricky is on the mark, this game is winnable. Our special teams and O-line have been our weakest link so far this season. If they can rise up i can feel the doubleblue getting 2 pts.

Invader
09-12-2012, 07:55 PM
The Lions v Al's game last saturday was blacked out in the greater Vancouver area...anyone know if this game is?

I believe Saturday's game will be blacked out in Vancouver. This will be the Lions 3rd straight blackout, of 5 in a row they said. The game will still be available on TSN HD or live streamed on your computer. TSN also archives all CFL games online in their video library and they're usually available about 90 minutes after the game, in HD (a great option as long as you haven't heard the score.)

1argoholic
09-12-2012, 07:56 PM
We will be buying tickets day of. I see no problem.

Good luck Argonaut11xx. I got it right this time. You still have plenty of time as it's a 4pm start.

We head over tomorrow night for a three night city fix. It'll be a huge bonus if they can finally pull out a victory. Although they swept us in 04 and then what happened in Ottawa? I could handle a loss now if the results were the same at Grey Cup 100. Still want a big win though.

D-Gap-Willie
09-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Are you trying to purchase off of ticketmaster? All I do nowadays is just use the TicketFast feature that e-mails the tickets to me so I can print them off.

Unfortunately, I can't use ticketmater from the farm - it always times out. I was trying to buy on the phone for Will Call since time is tight for us -- phoned direct to 589-ROAR.

We'll be fine as long as the plane doesn't arrive late.

Qman
09-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Prediction:
ricky ray goes 20 for 24 for 121 yards ... captain check-down is playing his favourite type of defence to make its stats look great and team loses. Argos lose in yet another on the wet coast .... look for a ton of 4 yard receptions. Lions 33 argo 10

Midnight Blue
09-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Prediction : Argos 18 , Lions 13. Our Defense takes it to the next level.

AngeloV
09-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Prediction:
ricky ray goes 20 for 24 for 121 yards ... captain check-down is playing his favourite type of defence to make its stats look great and team loses. Argos lose in yet another on the wet coast .... look for a ton of 4 yard receptions. Lions 33 argo 10

The Ray bashing continues I see. They've already won as many games as they won all last year. I just don't get it.

D-Gap-Willie
09-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Prediction:
Ray is a damn good quarterback, and yes, he uses the check down process, but many quarterbacks in the CFL are not good enough at checking down to get the job done. Not every check down process results in a check down ( last resort) completion.
I don't know enough of the Argo offence to know how many 'reads' Ray is designed to take on each play -- do you know ? It may be that some plays are designed to go to the check down receiver after only one or two reads - compensates for ineffective blocking, or takes advantage of motion or ??
What is "his favorite type of defence " ? -- A QB who is good at the check-down process plays best against man coverage - I doubt the Lions will play mostly man coverage.
All that said, I'd rather have a "four yard reception" than a sack.
It's improving every week, but it's not there yet - give it a chance!
Prediction: Lions 19 Argos 17 -- sorry it's the defending GC champs in their house.

gilthethrill
09-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Ray with his composure will give this team a chance to win week in & week out. This team, led by "Captain Checkdown" is poised to clinch a home playoff spot.

AngeloV
09-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Ray is a damn good quarterback, and yes, he uses the check down process, but many quarterbacks in the CFL are not good enough at checking down to get the job done. Not every check down process results in a check down ( last resort) completion.
I don't know enough of the Argo offence to know how many 'reads' Ray is designed to take on each play -- do you know ? It may be that some plays are designed to go to the check down receiver after only one or two reads - compensates for ineffective blocking, or takes advantage of motion or ??
What is "his favorite type of defence " ? -- A QB who is good at the check-down process plays best against man coverage - I doubt the Lions will play mostly man coverage.
All that said, I'd rather have a "four yard reception" than a sack.
It's improving every week, but it's not there yet - give it a chance!
Prediction: Lions 19 Argos 17 -- sorry it's the defending GC champs in their house.

Great post (except for the game prediction :D ).

These comments about checking down are so ridiclous. It appears to me as if many on here would prefer he force the ball down field even if there is nothing there. Ray knows how to play the position as well as anyone in the league, and IMO, is doing a great job, especially considering the struggles of the o-line this year.

ArgoRavi
09-14-2012, 02:25 PM
The Ray bashing continues I see. They've already won as many games as they won all last year. I just don't get it.

I strongly suspect that that individual is an Edmonton fan who has his own beef with Ray from years past.

AngeloV
09-14-2012, 02:38 PM
I strongly suspect that that individual is an Edmonton fan who has his own beef with Ray from years past.

Well I say we find him and beat the living snot out of him. :D

Please note: If anyone can't see I'm kidding with the above comment, they need serious medical evaluation.

Bleeds Double Blue
09-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Just one more sleep until the annual beer shower for me and my Argo jersey. I hope this new one that I bought at the Double Blue Bash last year is moisture repellant.

Chuckonauts
09-15-2012, 03:08 PM
I've been going to Montreal to see the boys for the last 5 years, and they didn't win for me until this year. The last win I saw in Montreal was the 2004 East Final.

marcwagz
09-15-2012, 07:35 PM
that huntley return was hilarious

KCargosfan
09-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Good thing we didn't cut Ahmad Carroll

marcwagz
09-15-2012, 09:28 PM
ah come on...
I know that was a holding but watt had already gotten by all the defenders.
What a pain.

marcwagz
09-15-2012, 09:34 PM
the refs are doing their best to just give this game to BC

ArgoRavi
09-15-2012, 10:05 PM
the refs are doing their best to just give this game to BC

There were some close calls tonight. I thought that Rambo was held on the second to last offensive play and therefore should have been an illegal contact penalty but no luck with that unfortunately. I would love to see us get another shot at these guys on Nov. 25th as we are capable of beating them.

DanTheFan
09-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Penalties, penalties, penalties ...

The main call I was concerned with was that 2nd down interference against Ball. At least from the replay, it looked like his hand didn't do much the limit the receiver. I guess all you need to do is tap a guy on the shoulder.

Loss aside, I'm still not terribly disappointed with the team's play. A good push by the offence towards the end made it worth watching to the very end.

AngeloV
09-15-2012, 10:55 PM
It was a great game. The best part for me was how the protection picked up in the 2nd half. For all those that call Ray captain check down, my point was proven in the 2nd half. Give him time, and he will go down field with great success.

Rough night for Mo Mann. Should have caught that corner route, slipped on a dig route, and got called for a total B.S. holding negating a Watt TD. It may have been a slight hold, but I see receivers doing that down field on almost every play, and it never gets called.

LLB997
09-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Just one more sleep until the annual beer shower for me and my Argo jersey. I hope this new one that I bought at the Double Blue Bash last year is moisture repellant.

You should be good, it has been reengineered don't ya know. Oh wait, thats the 2012 jersey. On second thought, your screwed.

argotom
09-15-2012, 11:50 PM
It was a great game.
All you want as an offense is the ball and a chance to win with two minutes to go, which we had.
The team came to life in the second half and we did take a substantial notch up towards the Grey Cup.
Now having said that, improvement is necessary with the DB's as those flagrant holding and clutching moves on coverage cost us penalties and probably the game.

Will
09-15-2012, 11:55 PM
I commend the effort to make a comeback, and realize that we were playing the best team in the league in their house, but moral victories mean jack-all to me right now. My frustration is simply that this team has been at or around .500 the entire season, but cannot take the step into the next tier and both times it has been BC who has prevented the Argos from taking that step.

The defensive secondary probably had their worst game of the year. While the defense played much better in the second half it was the second quarter that did the Argos in pretty much. Too many long gainers and again it seemed that whenever the Argos are getting pressure on the QB that it is just a split-second too late and the QB gets the ball off.

Mann's holding call really, really hurt. It basically forced the Argos to be going for the TD on that final drive rather than a FG. I didn't understand some of the play calling on that final drive either when Ricky went endzone twice in a row when he still had a bit of time on the clock.

Wobbler
09-16-2012, 02:41 AM
It was a great game.
All you want as an offense is the ball and a chance to win with two minutes to go, which we had.
I'd hope for more than that most of the time, but under the circumstances it was good to see...

Now having said that, improvement is necessary with the DB's as those flagrant holding and clutching moves on coverage cost us penalties and probably the game.
Please don't double-down on your earlier "assertions" without a better argument. Which DBs "probably cost us the game"?

Wobbler
09-16-2012, 02:47 AM
I didn't understand some of the play calling on that final drive either when Ricky went endzone twice in a row when he still had a bit of time on the clock.
It did seem panicky... I'd have liked to see one hand-off to Riggs on that drive.

ArgoRavi
09-16-2012, 02:53 AM
It did seem panicky... I'd have liked to see one hand-off to Riggs on that drive.

Milanovich was hard on himself for not calling enough run plays on Labour Day and I suspect the he will realize that he didn't call enough run plays tonight either. A draw on first down at the B.C. 20 near the end of the game might have worked perfectly. Riggs only had five carries on the night but averaged almost eight yards per carry.

gilthethrill
09-16-2012, 08:28 AM
that huntley return was hilarious

You would not have been laughing had the B.C. receiver recovered it in the endzone...which he should have. I was ticked Huntley did not get the TD....too many of his blockers were celebrating instead of paying attention to what was unfolding on the field.

gilthethrill
09-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Far too many times the D allowed B.C. to convert on 2nd & long. It seemed like a given. Mo Mann had a night to forget. That penalty on Watt's TD (cut the kid he is invisible) was stupid as he did not have to impede Parkers progress.

Heartbreaking ending to a game that became interesting late. Give the team credit though, with Ray at the helm, you get the feel there is always a chance.

ArgoRedneck
09-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Mo Mann is in my dog house. What I have really noticed this year is that between the NFL and CFL not much difference except that the NFL recievers make the tough catches. If the ball gets to them the catch it. CFL recievers have a harder time finishing the pass off for the QB.

gilthethrill
09-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Mo Mann is in my dog house. What I have really noticed this year is that between the NFL and CFL not much difference except that the NFL recievers make the tough catches. If the ball gets to them the catch it. CFL recievers have a harder time finishing the pass off for the QB.

You could say that the catch Watt made in the 3rd quarter was a tough catch though.

AngeloV
09-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Mann had a rough game, but Rambo is more in my doghouse than he is. On 2 different occasions, including the last play, he did not know what he was supposed to do. It cost them a time count the first time, and on the last play, coming out of a timeout, there is no excuse for it. Physical errors can be overcome, but not knowing your assignment is unforgivable.

ArgoRedneck
09-16-2012, 09:47 AM
You could say that the catch Watt made in the 3rd quarter was a tough catch though.

It was not a tough catch, it was a really tough catch. Come on, you didn't think I ment every pass to a reciever. I just would like to see a few more of the balls that get into recievers hands caught. I know each game Ray gets the ball in the recievers hands and and the pass is complete. Some throws are a tough catch yes, but the ball is not caught. I think that some of those tough catches should be a completion by a pro reciever. I am talking about all teams. Look at Fantuze, he should be catching some of the balls thrown his way that are "tough" completions

gilthethrill
09-16-2012, 10:08 AM
It was not a tough catch, it was a really tough catch. Come on, you didn't think I ment every pass to a reciever. I just would like to see a few more of the balls that get into recievers hands caught. I know each game Ray gets the ball in the recievers hands and and the pass is complete. Some throws are a tough catch yes, but the ball is not caught. I think that some of those tough catches should be a completion by a pro reciever. I am talking about all teams. Look at Fantuze, he should be catching some of the balls thrown his way that are "tough" completions

Sorry AR, I just thought Watts catch deserved to be mentioned. Owens & Mann, down at the goaline in a big game like this, are two catches this team really really needed to put this team at the next level.

Who is this Fantuz that you mentioned?

flafson
09-16-2012, 10:21 AM

I don't agree with that, in the NFL they have 4 downs so they have more chances to catch the ball. We remember the catches and not the ones that slipped away. How many times do they actually use all their set of downs? ALOT.
I've seen many professionals argue that the difference between those who make it and those who don't make it to the NFL/CFL is slim. The main difference from the NFL and CFL is that in the NFL they have so many options that they pick the ones that are more physical. It's hard to find first round pick WR who is not atleast 6'2". Which is why someone like Chad Owens doesn't get his time in the NFL but manages to be a star in the CFL.

For me the clear difference between us and BC was the time the QB had in his pocket. We almost couldn't collapse their pocket at all and they killed our pocket 80% of the time. The reason why we were able to climb back into the game was because in the 2nd half our OL did a much better job. Every time the OL pushed the LBs back and Ray did a two step forward you just knew it would end up with big yards and did most of the time.

I still think though that if they gave us that disallowed TD we would still lose it just because we would probably make a field goal and Lulay would still have about 2 minutes left to make his own field goal for the win.
Overall i was happy with the come back.

paulwoods13
09-16-2012, 01:34 PM
My observations after attending the game:

With the roof open, B.C. Place is a beautiful facility, far nicer than the soulless concrete cavern used to be. The retrofit really worked well. The upper deck does not seen nearly as high as the 500 level in Skydome (altho I was in the lower bowl). It is a way nicer stadium than Rogers Centre, IMO.

The game ended up with an exciting finish but I honestly felt that if the Argos had come back to win on the final possession (which could have happened, the way they were playing at the end), the better team would not have won. B.C. looks to be far better than the rest of the league. Their receivers get open constantly, Lulay is a tremendously accurate passer and a very serious running threat, and both of their lines are dominant. I would love to meet them on Nov. 25 (and I think that is very distinct possibility as we are for sure a strong contender to come out of the east), but if we do play the Lions in the Grey Cup and there are no serious injuries between now and then, we should be heavy underdogs.

Props to Watt for proving he can both catch and run. The Mann penalty was a killer altho I haven't seen a replay to know how legit it was. Mann and Owens dropped catchable passes and I believe Riggs had one of those as well. Our o-line still needs a lot of work -- I hope Reinders is ready to play soon although the fact he hasn't even dressed yet leads me to believe he will not see much action this year.

ArgoRavi
09-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Sorry AR, I just thought Watts catch deserved to be mentioned. Owens & Mann, down at the goaline in a big game like this, are two catches this team really really needed to put this team at the next level.

How many potential TDs have been dropped this year or gone through the receiver's hands? I think that we have had had about five of those including two last night. We need our receivers to make those tough catches.

ArgoGabe22
09-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Maybe this season it seems like CFL players are having a hard time making catches but historically I must disagree with this. CFL players make hard catches all the time. I have never seen an NFL receiver make a catch look anything like Cahoon's (he has made a lot of tough catches) or like Green's winning TD over SSK in OT 2-3 years ago. Even Owens had 3 great "tough" catches this season. Maybe because Cahoon and Owens are shorter and it forces them to make a tough catch when an NFL guy like T.O, Moss etc. are all 6 foot something and its an easy catch for them. Cahoon imo has the greatest hands of all-time in pro football.

Stevoman
09-16-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm glad that they made it interesting late. B.C. does seem far better right now but I don't see much room for improvement for them. They are firing nearly on all cylinders. The Argos have plenty of areas in which they need to improve and still hung around to the end which means if the improvements can happen this season and barring an upset in the West the Argos could just take the Grey Cup game (albeit still as underdogs).

ArgoRavi
09-16-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm glad that they made it interesting late. B.C. does seem far better right now but I don't see much room for improvement for them. They are firing nearly on all cylinders. The Argos have plenty of areas in which they need to improve and still hung around to the end which means if the improvements can happen this season and barring an upset in the West the Argos could just take the Grey Cup game (albeit still as underdogs).

I agree with you. B.C. is a sound football team but is beatable. They also have the oldest team in the league so there is a sense of urgency for them to win this year but that also could mean that the team runs out of gas later in the season. You just never know. Back in '07 with Jarious Jackson as their starting QB for much of the season, the Lions went 14-3-1 but got knocked off by Saskatchewan in the West Final. If Calgary doesn't get knocked off in the West Semi-Final, I think that they could beat the Lions and thought that they could have last year too. If the Lions do make it to the Grey Cup, they can be beaten though they will almost certainly be the favourites.

D-Gap-Willie
09-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Finally got home from the game -- whew - long trip.
I was impressed with Argos progress in many areas. That being said, I was disppointed with the Argos emotional ebb and flow during the game, sometimes from play to play. I know it's tough playing in noisy B C PLace and tough to be compared to the veteran stability of the Lions, but I had hoped for better.
Emptional letdowns during a game lead to a lack of concentration and intensity -- and the results were obvious seversl times during the game. Missed assignments, blown plays and bad penalties.
The Argos have no real emotional leadership, and so must rely more on consistency and concentration. They are on the road for a while, so I hope they do better at this next week in Montreal.
No excuses --- just play !

paulwoods13
09-17-2012, 11:53 AM
I know it's tough playing in noisy B C PLace . . .

I meant to post earlier on this -- the crowd was indeed quite loud at times, and the Lions do a much better job of "instructing" fans on when to make noise and when to be quiet. They seem to have a lot fewer commercials on the video board (which hangs over centre field and has a dazzling hi-def display) and they had only a few on-field contests and no on-field host equivalent to Strizzy. All in all it was a very enjoyable game experience, with comfortable seats sloped properly for football, the roof open and a blue sky above.

1argoholic
09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Got home Sunday night at 8pm after three fun nights in Vancouver. I'm surprised no one else who was at the game mentioned this. Perhaps I'm old school and just want true crowd noise not all that pumped in screeming loud music every time Ricky is huddling up. Then as they break every huddle the announcer yells something like, "MAKE SOME NOISE", WALLY LOVES THE NOISE", THEY DON"T LOIKE THE NOISE"..blah...blah..blah. When did CFL football become the friggin circus? I have no idea how this is allowed. I love hearing the crowd chatter, stupid, silly, funny comments as you do at most stadiums. My last game at BC Place was about two or three years back and it wasn't like this. No doubt this gives added advantage to BC. Just let their 28,000 make the noise not the cranked music. It just wasn't natural at all. Good news is that if I was being yelled at by Lions fans I couldn't hear it. I haven't had an $8 drink at a game in years so now it amazes me on how much piss beer people toss back at those prices. We had our original seats in the endzone but got moved because we were surrounded by a section of spanish talking folks which was fine. However each man and woman had a different perfume or cologne on. Oh man it was horrible. So how is BC getting these folks to games and we're not? Good on them!!! All were having a blast. So we ended up in the section of seats where Argo players friends and family were. That was fun and Lori who flew out for the game was enjoying the $8 drinks in a big way.haha. Great to see her again and Mr Lurker. You know who you are.Show yourself on here.haha. By the way we went to the can and you guys disappeared to the bowels of the stadium. haha.
After the game I met Pinball's neighbour who chatted with us because he say my jersey. Great guy who's just started a business with Mike. Then upon walking back up Robson we heard thanks for coming out guys from behind. It was Waters and Chris Van Zyel walking back to the hotel or to find a case of beer as Chris was trying to do. Great talking to them and the team was down and all felt this was their game. We talked with a few guys including Owens, Ball and Huntley at the Sutton Place as they filtered back. My wife said see you in Nov to Owens and he paused and said, "Yah You'll See Us in Nov". It was great. I told them that BC swept us in 04 but we got them in the cup. The guys just believe and want it, you can tell. As I started talking about being a very long time fan Huntley stopped and I mentioned how proud I was thay they fougt to the bitter end. They are always up against it at BC Place and now with the foolish music cranking it's even harder. I bet guys had trouble hearing Ricky in the huddle. They could have gotten killed but played BC really tough twice now. We can beat this team. I told the players what I thought about some of those iffy calls. Someone mentioned after that calls that should have been made against the Lions were never replayed on the screen. It's such a homers field. I didn't enjoy the fan experience.

It was great to spend Part of Thursday and Friday night at the Sutton Place Lounge with Hogie, Annunziatta (Hope I spelled that right) Lori Bursey and a few others. Met Rudge and the mother and daughter combo from The Real Housewives Of Vancouver which was very funny. I was joking with my wife about to old ladies all dressed up and sitting at the bar. I was saying look at the two broken down old housewives of Vancouver. Then about 20-30 minutes after in walk the mother and daughter from the show. I got up and my wife took a picture of me with them. Talk about full of themselves but they were very sweet about it. I've caught five or so minutes here and there of the show but there ladies stand out like a cirque performer with the way they dress. All in all great times and I miss going to the games and all that comes along with it. Much easier pill to swallow when your at the game and not on the couch.
I have a good feeling about this team.

paulwoods13
09-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Got home Sunday night at 8pm after three fun nights in Vancouver. I'm surprised no one else who was at the game mentioned this. Perhaps I'm old school and just want true crowd noise not all that pumped in screeming loud music every time Ricky is huddling up. Then as they break every huddle the announcer yells something like, "MAKE SOME NOISE", WALLY LOVES THE NOISE", THEY DON"T LOIKE THE NOISE"..blah...blah..blah. When did CFL football become the friggin circus? I have no idea how this is allowed. I love hearing the crowd chatter, stupid, silly, funny comments as you do at most stadiums. My last game at BC Place was about two or three years back and it wasn't like this. No doubt this gives added advantage to BC. Just let their 28,000 make the noise not the cranked music. It just wasn't natural at all.

It didn't seem like pumped-in noise to me. Sure the fans followed instructions, but good on them for doing so. Every team does versions of "Make some noise!" but the Lions do it a lot better than the Argos do it. And they especially do a good job of reminding/advising fans to be quiet when their own team has the ball.

jerrym
09-17-2012, 10:23 PM
I took my youngest son to the game (he's 11). After watching his second live game, he is starting to like CFL football. With regards to the game:

(1) the most striking impression, more easily seen than in a tv game, is that the offensive line simply is not up to scratch as BC was on top of Ray on most plays even when they were not blitzing;

(2) the dbs were inconsistent in their coverage doing a good job on some plays but missing or holding receivers on others - certainly not their best game;

(3) our receivers did beat BC's dbs a fair number of time but more often than is normal for professionals dropped the ball, although part of this was rushed passes by Ray due to the pressure he faced;

(4) while Argo dbs got away with some holds early in the game, the final BC TD was partly a function of 3 penalties in a row, 2 of them borderline at best in my opinion;

(5) Riggs looked good on his few running plays, usually making the first tackler miss and scratching for every yard - however giving him only 5 carries and only 1 in the second half was a big mistake because BC was quite willing to let him gain 10 yards because of his skills and focus instead on every play on getting to Ray - Milanovich needs to give the ball more to his RBs to help take the pressure off Ray, especially when he has a far from stellar offensive line protecting Ray;

(6) despite all these weaknesses the Argos made this game close at the end, so improvement in the offensive line, more consistent db play and more running plays means they could still capture Montreal and even beat BC on a very good day;
(7) the crowd noise is a 13th player like no other in the CFL - I remember when the league in the 1990s clamped down on Calgary's announcer urging the crowd to make noise and yet nothing is done now when not only the announcer but the electronic signs that surround the entire stadium from every angle encourage this, along with music blaring between every Argo play.

1argoholic
09-18-2012, 12:10 AM
My wife remembers the stadium announcer in Calgary losing his job over that. It was over the top loud and obnoxious to me. If that is allowed by the league than Toronto must close the dome for every game and pick out some high volume music or grading music when the visiting teams are huddling up. Why not crank the Wiggles or who ever the kids group was that had the Argos have to move a game. I mean where does this stop. Do you give everyone in the stands blowhorns and lazers. It's not football.

jerrym
09-18-2012, 12:33 AM
IMO the BC game tells me that, if the Argos can improve in their weakest areas, they could be in the Grey Cup and maybe even win it. Afterall, BC started last year with a 0-5 record and didn't suddenly look like world beaters after a few wins, but rather like a team steadily improving and eliminating its problems, in part, with the addition of only a couple of players.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8