PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Vikings thread

Will
09-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't know how much mileage this thread will actually get, but there are a few of us here so I though I'd start it. The Vikings won in OT 26-23 over the Jacksonville Jaguars. The game was pretty dramatic, the Vikings were up 20-15 and allowed the Jaguars to march down field and score a TD to go up 23-20 with less than thirty seconds on the clock. The Vikings then got some clutch throwing from Christian Ponder that set-up a 55-yard FG from rookie Blair Walsh. Welcome to the NFL kid! The Vikings then scored an FG on their first drive of OT and then stopped the Jaguars on the next drive to seal the win. Ponder was solid out there and Adrian Peterson was solid in his first game back after his knee injury. The Vikings still probably won't compete with the Lions, Bears and Packers (oh my!) but it was nice to get a win in the opener at the very least.

Midnight Blue
09-09-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't know how much mileage this thread will actually get, but there are a few of us here so I though I'd start it. The Vikings won in OT 26-23 over the Jacksonville Jaguars. The game was pretty dramatic, the Vikings were up 20-15 and allowed the Jaguars to march down field and score a TD to go up 23-20 with less than thirty seconds on the clock. The Vikings then got some clutch throwing from Christian Ponder that set-up a 55-yard FG from rookie Blair Walsh. Welcome to the NFL kid! The Vikings then scored an FG on their first drive of OT and then stopped the Jaguars on the next drive to seal the win. Ponder was solid out there and Adrian Peterson was solid in his first game back after his knee injury. The Vikings still probably won't compete with the Lions, Bears and Packers (oh my!) but it was nice to get a win in the opener at the very least.

I missed the game, but I am also a Minnesota Vikings fan, along with 1argoholic, and perhaps others. Funny thing is, I also root for the Detroit Lions, Chicago Bears, and Green Bay Packers. Also, the Buffalo Bills. And of course, the Pittsburgh Steelers. I think true Football should be played in bone-chilling, and bone-crushing, climates. Cheers!

Midnight Blue
09-09-2012, 07:46 PM
I also cheer for the New England Patriots, but their climate isn't quite bone-chilling enough, due to their proximity to the moderating influences, of the Atlantic Ocean.

Will
09-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I don't mind the Bears or the Lions, but I can't stand Green Bay. This quote from http://deadspin.com/5936676/why-your-team-sucks-2012-green-bay-packers sums it up!

I loathe the Packers. I hate their CENSORED perfect little organization in their CENSORED perfect little town with their CENSORED perfect little stadium with every announcer telling me what a CENSORED perfect little place Green Bay is for football. Say the word "Packers" to John Madden and he'll close his eyes and have a nine-minute soundless orgasm. It's repulsive. Chris Berman still thinks doing his Facenda voice and saying "FROZEN TUNDRA" is funny. It's not. It's pathetic.

ArgoGabe22
09-09-2012, 07:56 PM
The NFL isn't welcome here. Just joking :) Go Chiefs!

Will
09-09-2012, 07:58 PM

Matt Ryan to Julio Jones must be in your nightmares.

Midnight Blue
09-09-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't mind the Bears or the Lions, but I can't stand Green Bay. This quote from http://deadspin.com/5936676/why-your-team-sucks-2012-green-bay-packers sums it up!

That was a funny article. I have no idea of some of the intricacies of life in Green Bay; I just like solid Football. It would be a shame if Green Bay (the town) went all suburban and politically correct, but I bet that there are still enough Hosers out there (something Canada and the Northern U.S. shares), to keep it real. Cheers!

1argoholic
09-09-2012, 08:01 PM
No tv coverage in these parts but I did watch Winnipeg crap again. I just heppened to flip on the NFL network in time to hear the call of that Blair fieldgoal to tie it. I howled.SWEET!!! Looks like there's at least four of us Viking fans on here. I kept checking the score and thought they wouldn't do anything and finally they got a td. Nice to get a win.

Will
09-09-2012, 08:02 PM
There is a winnable game against Indianapolis on the road next week as well.

Midnight Blue
09-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Ah yes, I also like the Kansas City Chiefs. They may not have bone-chilling temperatures, but they got floods and tornadoes and shit, which can really affect the outcome of the game, and makes everyone play at their finest level (above, or below, water). Cheers!

Will
09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Ah yes, I also like the Kansas City Chiefs. They may not have bone-chilling temperatures, but they got floods and tornadoes and shit, which can really affect the outcome of the game, and makes everyone play at their finest level (above, or below, water). Cheers!

It gets cold in Kansas City by the end of the season.

ArgoGabe22
09-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Matt Ryan to Julio Jones must be in your nightmares.

I know they lost but I don't follow them closely I just adopted the Chiefs as my NFL back in elementary school because I was tired of Patriots and Colt bandwagon jumpers. Plus they were Pinball's first team.

Midnight Blue
09-09-2012, 08:21 PM
It gets cold in Kansas City by the end of the season.

True. It allows then to play on the surface of the ice, instead of underwater.

Also, I've been an Oakland Raiders fan since, like, eternity --- before it was hip.

Cheers!

294life
09-10-2012, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0zB5J66Juo

LLB997
09-11-2012, 02:52 AM
Fock Yeah, go team from city i have no affiliation to and will probably never visit . ;]

Ron
09-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Frozen tundra used to be a playoff game in Minnesota. They only started referring to GB after Minny got their bubble.

Will
09-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Frozen tundra used to be a playoff game in Minnesota. They only started referring to GB after Minny got their bubble.

It also helped that the Vikings were much more successful than GB in the 1970's.

Will
09-20-2012, 10:30 AM
The Vikings lost 23-20 to the Colts on a last second FG. Christian Ponder continues to make progress, but the Colts were more or less able to keep Adrian in check. The Vikings secondary will also continue to be a huge problem throughout the season. I do not like our chances against the 49ers. They held the Packers to 22 points and the Lions to 20 and those are two of the more potent offenses in the NFL.

1argoholic
09-20-2012, 04:25 PM
This team will have a very good first round pick next year.Being a Minnesota Vikings fan = Frustration.

I remember the Vikes cheerleaders in puffy little winter boots back in the day on the frozen tundra. I remember sitting through Grey Cup 91 in Winnipeg at -16 to -18 degrees and that sucks.

Will
09-20-2012, 04:37 PM
I think the most frustrating thing with the Vikings is that they aren't a team like the Cardinals or Lions who stunk or have stunk for years. The Vikings, for the most part, are a descent enough team, but can never put it together in the playoffs. This rebuild might be one of the longer term rebuilds that they've had to go through in many, many years.

1argoholic
09-20-2012, 05:06 PM
This is a team that has had some great chances to win it all and has always failed. I'm just glad I don't live in Minni and have seasons. It's got to be very difficult to have won squat in 51 years. Some real heartbreakers for sure.

Will
09-24-2012, 08:44 AM
They beat the 49ers...go figure!

Will
09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
The Vikings move to 3-1 with a 20-13 win over the Lions. It wasn't Christian Ponder's prettiest game but it got the job done. Adrian Peterson rushed for over 100 yards and the defense kept Calvin Johnson largely in check. They also got a KR TD and a PR TD, impressive!

gilthethrill
10-01-2012, 07:08 AM
The Vikings were able deal with the distraction of Argo draft pick Tyler Holmes being released from the PR & come up with a victory in yesterdays NFL action.

1argoholic
10-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Well Ponder is the old qb who yet to toss a pick this year. They did very little on O but still won with Harvin returning the opening kickoff and getting a punt return after. Too Bad Chicago beat Dallas tonight.

Will
10-09-2012, 09:26 AM
The Vikings move to 4-1 with a 30-7 victory over the Tennessee Titans! Christian Ponder threw his first two INT's of the year, but also threw for two TD passes. Percy Harvin is starting to be considered as one of the multi-faceted threats in the NFL and the defense continues to play well. A winnable game with RGIII and the Redskins awaits.

Will
10-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Vikings move to 5-2 with a 21-14 win over Arizona. Christian Ponder will have to be better as he threw for just 58 yards, but Adrian Peterson is back to his old self rushing for 153 yards on 23 carries. The defense recorded 7 sacks and rookie Harrison Smith (who was quite a good pick) got his first career INT a pick-six.

1argoholic
10-22-2012, 01:48 PM
The game was on here but I missed it having to go to the airport to pick up my wife. I'm not sure how they're pulling off these wins but I'll take it. Your right though they've been winning with Ponder even though he throws for tiny numbers most games. 58 yards? How does a team win? Well they have been getting return td's, pick 6 td's etc. So far I'd say they're a very lucky team. I won't complain as you need all aspects of your team to help you win.

ArgoRavi
10-22-2012, 05:23 PM
The game was on here but I missed it having to go to the airport to pick up my wife. I'm not sure how they're pulling off these wins but I'll take it. Your right though they've been winning with Ponder even though he throws for tiny numbers most games. 58 yards? How does a team win? Well they have been getting return td's, pick 6 td's etc. So far I'd say they're a very lucky team. I won't complain as you need all aspects of your team to help you win.

Sounds a bit like the Cleo Lemon era in Toronto although Cleo's numbers weren't that bad.

Will
10-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Ponder was playing a little bit better earlier in the year, but he hasn't been as effective the last few weeks.

You have to remember Ravi that in the NFL (although it is increasingly not becoming the case) you can get by with not as strong a passing game as long as that QB doesn't screw things out of proportion. The Vikings have 2/3 phases of the game (D & specials) working well. They also have one of the best running backs in the National Football League.

1argoholic
10-24-2012, 12:14 AM
It's all going to blow up in their faces when they have to play Green Bay and Chicago yet. They can't keep winning with Ponder throwing for tiny yardage numbers or many td's. They're not going to continue to get special team td's every game. If they do than it'll be some sort of miracle run.

1argoholic
11-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Well as I said in my last post the Vikes are fading. Ponder can't continue throwing for well under 100 yards anf hope this team stands a chance. They may end up with 7 wins. Still have both Green bay and Chicago twice plus Houston. Yikes!!!

Will
11-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Well as I said in my last post the Vikes are fading. Ponder can't continue throwing for well under 100 yards anf hope this team stands a chance. They may end up with 7 wins. Still have both Green bay and Chicago twice plus Houston. Yikes!!!

Seven wins would be a success considering pre-season expectations.

1argoholic
11-06-2012, 05:20 PM
The fast start had me excited but now crashing back down to earth. They'll be looking for a qb now.

argonaut11xx
11-07-2012, 09:32 PM
The Lions will finish ahead of the Vikings....

The Vikings had a FLUKE-Y start, and won by smoke and mirrors...they stink...

1argoholic
11-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Smoke and mirrors is bang on. You can only win so many games when your qb throws for under 100 yards in a game. Also kick, punt, fumble and picks for td's don't happen every week. Peterson is still great though.

argonaut11xx
11-11-2012, 04:00 PM
sadly..the Lions stunk the joint out today...YOUR vikings won....

that said..never watch 1 second....was WAY to happy wearing my #7 Holloway Jersey, and enjoying breakfast beers, while the Argo's ATE Eskimo for lunch...

GO ARGO's...next stop...frog legs for lunch next weekend...then the GREY CUP

Will
11-11-2012, 04:09 PM
I followed the game tracker. Peterson had 171 yards rushing and even Mr. Ponder had 200+ yards.

1argoholic
11-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Nice to sweep the Lions. Some tough games ahead. Perhaps Peterson can continue to run wild.

Will
11-13-2012, 01:31 PM
The Vikings still need to play both Green Bay and Chicago twice as well as matchup with the Texans. At 6-4 the Vikings have already exceded most expectations (including my own).

294life
12-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Vikes are off to a good start against da bears

1argoholic
12-09-2012, 02:45 PM
I do love my Vikes but I'm having real issues staying focused on NFL games. It's just like watching paint dry. I know many people think there's no difference but the game is slower paced. Takes so long between plays and the games just drag. I'm going through CFL withdrawl bigtime.

Will
12-09-2012, 02:52 PM
The Vikings just aren't an exciting team this year. Ponder is treading water as a starting quarterback in the NFL. Adrian Peterson is a beast, however and we are fortunate to have him on our team.

1argoholic
12-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm betting that the Ponder will be second string next year and they have to find a true starter. Hopefully Ponder will work out if given time behind a proven starter. Now to find that starter. Pederson is the best!!!! He was a block or two away from breaking some more huge runs. He could have had over 300 yards rushing today. He was so close on so many runs today. He is pretty much the Vikes O. The Viking corners got burnt more that toast today. Chicago was getting away with plenty of pushing off as well though. Great win regardless!

294life
12-09-2012, 07:35 PM
could be worse. they could be arizona. 58-0 loss to the seahawks. the argonauts could even beat them at this point.

Will
12-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm betting that the Ponder will be second string next year and they have to find a true starter. Hopefully Ponder will work out if given time behind a proven starter. Now to find that starter. Pederson is the best!!!! He was a block or two away from breaking some more huge runs. He could have had over 300 yards rushing today. He was so close on so many runs today. He is pretty much the Vikes O. The Viking corners got burnt more that toast today. Chicago was getting away with plenty of pushing off as well though. Great win regardless!

Marshall is one of the more physical receivers in the NFL so that's no surprise. He made some very impressive catches today. The Vikings have a weak corps of receivers, which is also an issue that must be addressed.

Will
12-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Do we have the best RB in the NFL or do we have the best RB in the NFL?

294life
12-16-2012, 05:06 PM
a nice win for the vikes. bills are stinking up the joint at Rogers as expected.

1argoholic
12-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Adrian is hands down the best. Too bad he slowed down and ran out of steam on that 49 yard run. He could have run someone else over and gained even more. When he's running like that I never want to see him on the bench. Here's hoping he has two more solid games.

ArgoRavi
12-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Adrian is hands down the best. Too bad he slowed down and ran out of steam on that 49 yard run. He could have run someone else over and gained even more. When he's running like that I never want to see him on the bench. Here's hoping he has two more solid games.

Does he play every play or does he come out after a couple of plays like the Bills' Spiller does?

Will
12-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Does he play every play or does he come out after a couple of plays like the Bills' Spiller does?

They have spelled him in the past. When he was first starting out they had Chester Taylor who was a 1,000-yard rusher in his own right, and now they will also use Toby Gerhart on occasion (notably 3rd down), but right now where Peterson goes so does the Vikings offense. Christian Ponder simply isn't the answer at QB right now.

1argoholic
12-17-2012, 11:59 AM
They could have put him in with four odd minutes left and up by 14 but they sat him. I really wanted to see him rip off another big run getting him closer to the record.

Will
12-17-2012, 12:54 PM
They could have put him in with four odd minutes left and up by 14 but they sat him. I really wanted to see him rip off another big run getting him closer to the record.

He needs 188 yards to get to 2,000 and 293 yards to get to Dickerson's record.

Will
12-23-2012, 05:49 PM
A 23-6 win over Houston puts the Vikings at 9-6 and sets up a huge game against the Packers next week!

294life
12-24-2012, 09:24 AM
win and they're in.

Otherwise they need ny Dallas and Chicago to lose so no margin for error.

Packers need to win to clinch the second seed so the game still matters to them.

1argoholic
12-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Great game yesterday and I hope they can be pumped at home and have the crowd give them a huge boost. A bonus would be Peterson running wild. I'm proud of this Vikings team. I've been a fan for as long as I've been an Argo fan and this team just keeps finding ways to win. I loved hearing the fans in Houston booing their team.

294life
12-24-2012, 04:48 PM
houston is not looking good down the stretch. whichever team gets them has a good shot at the conference final.

Midnight Blue
12-30-2012, 11:00 AM
If the Vikings are gonna advance to the Superbowl, they're gonna have to beat the Packers eventually.

May as well do it today.

Go Vikings ! Give 'em the horns !

294life
12-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Big TD catch by Jenkins. Vikes up 34-27 now.

Oops. Nelson makes it 34-34

Walsh from 29. Goooooooood!

37-34 Vikings. Rematch at Lambeau next week.

Will
12-30-2012, 07:52 PM
That was nail biting to the very last second as you always expected the worst to happen with the Vikings, but they did it and are going to the playoffs!

BTW, even the most rabid NFL hater on here has to admit that was one heck of a football game.

294life
12-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Peterson just 9 yards short of the record. He didn't seem to care. Happy with the 'W'.

matchuk
12-30-2012, 09:17 PM
yeah, that peterson guy is an ok player ;)

1argoholic
12-30-2012, 09:19 PM
I was hoping so bad for the Vikes to pull it out. Way too much heartbreak through the years. They have some great young players such as Walsh. Too bad Adrian didn't get his record but he gain his yardage with so many less carries than Dickerson had. A great season so far as I didn't expect this at all. It'll be very tough next week but at least they're in. Very happy Viking fan. Proud of this team as I was with our Argos.

294life
12-30-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't know how much mileage this thread will actually get.

One more week at least ;)

294life
01-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Oh dear. Ponder out tonight. Webb in as Viking QB

ArgoRavi
01-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Oh dear. Ponder out tonight. Webb in as Viking QB

Is Ponder that huge of a loss? It isn't like they have lost Peterson who is the one responsible for so much of their offence.

1argoholic
01-05-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Pederson and Webb run wild.

Half time and the Vikes are DONE! Webb looks like he's never played football before and that's not great for your backup qb. I didn't expect much this season, yet again and now we're going to lose to the Fudge Packers again. Perhaps before I die the Vikings will win. Not sure how season ticket holders of the so many NFL teams that have never won squat do it. Way too many teams. This game is CRAP!!!

Have I mentioned? THANK YOU TORONTO ARGONAUTS!!!!

294life
01-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Is Ponder that huge of a loss? It isn't like they have lost Peterson who is the one responsible for so much of their offence.

Apparently it was. Next year Viqueens.

argolio
01-06-2013, 04:19 PM
If I were the Vikes, I'd shop Peterson in the off-season and try to get a Herschel Walker-type return. He'll never have a higher trade value than right now.

1argoholic
01-06-2013, 04:56 PM
The only problem with that is that's he is their O.

argolio
01-06-2013, 10:51 PM
So was Herschel Walker for Dallas.

Seems like a big waste to have an elite player like Peterson if your team isn't a championship contender.

Will
01-07-2013, 12:14 PM
While the Vikings do have several notable areas to improve in, it isn't as if they are in the midst of a 1-15 season like the 1989 Dallas Cowboys were when they traded Herschel Walker to Minnesota. Besides, I don't think a team would be that dumb in this day of age to give out a Herschel Walker type return. Jimmy Johnson stripped the Vikings bare in that trade.

argolio
01-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Besides, I don't think a team would be that dumb in this day of age to give out a Herschel Walker type return. Jimmy Johnson stripped the Vikings bare in that trade.Maybe a trade that big couldn't happen again, but something close to it probably could. And guys who make trades like that aren't dumb, they usually think they're one big player away from competing for a championship. General Managers like that never go out of style in any sport.

Otherwise the Vikes better hope Ponder or someone else develops fast at QB, or else they'll waste Peterson like the Detroit Lions wasted Barry Sanders.

argonaut11xx
01-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Barry Sanders was hardly "wasted"...wow...

He was the classiest running back ever, only retired becuase he didnt WANT to brake Walter Paytons record..he could have smashed it..

ArgoRavi
01-07-2013, 04:10 PM

He was the classiest running back ever, only retired becuase he didnt WANT to brake Walter Paytons record..he could have smashed it..

I believe that Argolio is referring to the Lions never even coming close to winning anything while they had Sanders. That is what he meant by "wasting" Sanders.

AngeloV
01-07-2013, 05:02 PM

Do you really believe that B.S.? He only retired because the Lions wouldn't trade or release him. He realized that they were going nowhere fast and wanted out.

1argoholic
01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Plus he didn't want to be jello in his 40's like so many other ex used and abused NFL players. Look at Robert Smith who was at the top of his game as a rb for the Vikings. Retired with his health and smarts.

Not sure you'd get as much as you think for Pederson who's had two very serious knee operations. He's one side hit to the knee away from retirement.

Will
05-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Not a bad haul at the draft. The Vikings got the DT Floyd at #22 when many believe he was a top ten pick, also I've heard good things about the CB Rhodes that they took at #25. Both were areas that needed to be addressed, and finally at #29 the Vikings took WR Patterson from Tennessee who will be a bit more of a project, but has tremendous upside.

1argoholic
05-03-2013, 01:18 PM
The last two draft years for The Vikings have been GREAT!!!!!!!!!

argonaut11xx
05-28-2013, 04:51 PM
But on gay marriage, the Vikings running back says ''that's not something I believe in.''(recent comments on NFL radio)

hmmmmm.....

Will Adrian get hammered for his personal beliefs?

Will
05-28-2013, 04:55 PM
But on gay marriage, the Vikings running back says ''that's not something I believe in.''(recent comments on NFL radio)

hmmmmm.....

Will Adrian get hammered for his personal beliefs?

I don't agree with him, but he's entitled to his opinion.

1argoholic
05-29-2013, 03:10 PM
This is what most religions preach. No tolerance at all and just because it's in a book doesn't mean you have to blab your beliefs out there. All this does is bring on bad press for the team. I have less and less tolerance for religion. Live and let friggin live already!!!

Will
08-12-2013, 11:25 AM
The Vikings were a much improved team at 10-6 last year, but they still have some questions that need to be answered. Is Christian Ponder the answer at QB and can Adrian Peterson rush for 2000 yards again?

294life
08-16-2013, 03:34 PM
The Vikings were a much improved team at 10-6 last year, but they still have some questions that need to be answered. Is Christian Ponder the answer at QB and can Adrian Peterson rush for 2000 yards again?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say 'no'.

Midnight Blue
08-20-2013, 01:01 AM

Well, they've got another year under their belts, and they are The Vikings !

I say yes !

294life
09-09-2013, 02:30 PM
trestman's next opponents. vikes have to start feeling a little pressure even though it's early.

D-Gap-Willie
09-10-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm putting this here since it happened against the Vikes, and I didn't want to start a new thread. What are the thoughts about the $100,000 fine against Detroit's Ndamukong Suh for his low hit on the Vikes centre. Everybody is making a big deal of it, but really it's only a fine of 1.05% of his salary which is merely a slap on the wrist for a multiple repeat offender. I think a multiple game suspension was more in order, before someone gets maimed by this nut case.

294life
09-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Great back and forth game. VIKES are giving Trestman a handful.

Will
09-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Vikings defense is garbage!

1argoholic
09-15-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm doubt they'll be as good as last year. Pederson will have trouble getting anywhere close to last years stats.

294life
09-16-2013, 12:52 AM
Vikings defense is garbage!

Looks fine to me :D

Will
09-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Why don't you worry about your 0-2 Giants instead of trolling here?

294life
09-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Why don't you worry about your 0-2 Giants instead of trolling here?

Cuz the Giants have their super bowl rings and I have not much expectations from them this year. Trestman on the other hand is carrying the weight of making the cfl credible in nfl circles so you'll excuse me if I'm a bit more passionate about Da Bears than any other team.

If I reached troll status here, Judith would be proud. ;)

D-Gap-Willie
10-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Adrian Peterson is back with the Vikes and plans to play this Sunday, despite the beating death of his 2 year old son in South Dakota. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-vikings-peterson-20131012,0,1298242.story

1argoholic
10-15-2013, 11:59 AM
This is one instance where religion has helped calm Peterson because I would want to hunt that slime bag down and kill him.

Well looks like this very long suffering Viking fan will continue to dream. Horrible year that has really gone south. I can see the Gaints winning their first next Monday night against us. Should be a real barn burner and I bet the Monday Night crew is chopping at the bit to watch and comment on this one. Would be nice to see us keep the Giants down.

294life
10-18-2013, 02:53 PM
If there was ever a game for the G-Men to get their first win. This is the one. ;)

ArgoRavi
10-28-2013, 01:24 AM
I see that the Vikings are 1-6 this year. So what happened? Were they playing over their heads last year or are they not playing to their potential this year?

Will
10-28-2013, 08:52 AM
I see that the Vikings are 1-6 this year. So what happened? Were they playing over their heads last year or are they not playing to their potential this year?

They were playing over their heads last year. This isn't too dissimilar to the 2010 Argos vs. the 2011 Argos, Ravi.

Will
09-08-2014, 11:27 AM
A nice 34-6 win to start the season. It was against a poor opponent in the St. Louis Rams, but with a new head coach and a new culture it's always good to get the first win out of the way. Cordarelle Patterson looks like he may develop into a very special talent in the NFL.

Fumblitis
09-09-2014, 10:20 PM
A nice 34-6 win to start the season. It was against a poor opponent in the St. Louis Rams, but with a new head coach and a new culture it's always good to get the first win out of the way. Cordarelle Patterson looks like he may develop into a very special talent in the NFL.Opponents have to respect that there is a dual running threat with Peterson and Patterson who should be a Pro Bowler this year.

ArgoRavi
09-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Adrian Peterson is now facing serious charges: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11514522/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-indicted-child-case

Will
09-12-2014, 06:19 PM
The NFL is not having a good couple of weeks.

1argoholic
09-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Cut him NOW!!!!!!!!

argolio
09-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Cut him NOW!!!!!!!!He's playing this week.

D-Gap-Willie
09-16-2014, 03:18 AM
Life is sure not easy for Adrian Peterson's offspring - One dead last October and now one allegedly beaten.

He's playing this week.

I thought he had been "deactivated" for this week pending further information.

Will
09-16-2014, 08:31 AM
I thought he had been "deactivated" for this week pending further information.

That was for the game against the Patriots on Sunday. He's been activated for this week's game against the Saints.

294life
09-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Way to go Pats and Bears

ArgoRavi
12-28-2014, 05:14 PM
How do all of you Vikings fans feel about the team's 2014 season? How would you assess the team, its coaching and managerial staff?

Will
12-28-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm happy with the progression that Teddy Bridgewater made during the season. He wasn't always spectacular, but showed enough to make me cautiously optimistic that the Vikings have their QB of the future. I am also optimistic about Mike Zimmer as a coach. However, the Vikings do still have some major holes. For example, who would've rated RB a position of need prior to this season? Well it is now with Adrian Peterson's legal troubles. Also, the offensive line needs work as does the LB corps and probably the secondary. Unfortunately, it will still take a few strong drafts and a few good free agency hauls to make this team a contender.

Will
09-12-2015, 01:57 AM
I am cautiously optimistic about the Vikings this year. I'm hoping that Teddy Bridgewater can progress in his sophomore season. He didn't look bad in pre-season play. Having Adrian Peterson (rightly or wrongly) back at RB will help stabilize the running game and relegate Matt Asiata back to the role that he excels at and that is as a goal-line RB. The receiving corps is another group that needs to step it up for Bridgewater to excel. The OL is a concern with Loadholt out for the season and Sullivan's out. Matt Kalil needs a better year badly.

Defensively, I am looking for the team to build on the improvements they showed last year. Everson Griffen is a great DE, but I am a little concerned with Robison lining up beside him because of age. I'm confident with the interior of the DL. I suspect they'll be growing pains with Trae Waynes at CB.

Unfortunately, Green Bay remains at the top of the division, but I can see the Vikings finishing ahead of the Bears and Lions. Whether it is enough for a playoff berth is another question. I see the NFC East getting a playoff berth and perhaps one from the NFC West. If the team plays to its fullest, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Gill The Thrill
09-12-2015, 03:57 AM
Why do you tortue yourself with the Minnesota Vikings?....I'm disappointed they're cowardly building an indoor stadium and not going back outdoors. When they played outdoors, they made Green Bay, Chicago, Buffalo and New England feel like Club Med resorts by comparison. It was a huge advantage and they played up to it in the 70's. Sadly, they didn't win one of their 4 Super Bowls that they went to. I just feel as if the Minnesota Vikings have lost their identity since they stopped playing real football outdoors at home. I was really hoping they would pay homage to that heritage and built a proper football stadium protecting the fans from the elements but allowing them to be part of the game as is football tradition in the north by having no dome...sadly, big money won out.

That's 3 nuts on this board who follow the Vikings, although I've really waned of late as I can't relate to the team as much as I used to...you, I, and 1argoholic, I wonder if there are more. I may have waned in my day to day following, but I will be going to see the Vikes in Detroit this year.

PS - Have you seen the 1976 NFC Championship on youtube. The Vikings hosting the Los Angeles Rams at Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington. I bet you have, great game wasn't it, that was honest, hard nosed football.

Will
09-29-2015, 12:49 PM
The Vikings are 2-1 after 3 games. They are probably better than either the Lions or Bears, but are nowhere close to competing with the Packers :(. Adrian Peterson doesn't seem to have missed a beat after missing most of last year with the suspension. The passing game could stand to heat up a little bit.

argolio
09-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Adrian Peterson beat the Chargers like a misbehaving child.......too soon?

ArgoRavi
09-29-2015, 06:27 PM

That thought went through my mind the other night as I watched highlights so I would say not too soon.

Gill The Thrill
10-12-2015, 02:57 PM

That's terrible...I'm laughing tho, but that's terrible...lol

Could have added a CFL reference though, he whipped them the way James Curry would have whipped a misbehavin child. This is really low hanging fruit. Wasn't a Calgary player charged in a situation like that too...Was it Fred Childress, big guy too, that would hurt.

Will
10-12-2015, 04:43 PM
I think the Vikings defense has improved, but they are still handicapped by a mediocore (at best) offensive line that doesn't afford a second year QB that protection he needs.

Will
01-06-2016, 11:46 AM
If you told me that the Vikings would finish 11-5 and win the NFC North then I would have laughed at you, but here we are in January. Defeating the Packers at Lambeau is just like beating the Tiger-Cats at Tim Hortons Field. A tough wild-card matchup against the Seahawks though.

1argoholic
01-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Seattle beat the Vikings like an abused Pederson child once this year. As a very long time Viking fan I really hope he's got his crap together for the long haul. He's a beast when he gets rolling. They'll need him to be at his best against Seattle. I'm hoping for very cold temps awaiting the Hawks.

I too was very surprised about the indoor stadium but they want a facility that can be used year round. Have you seen this joint. It looks like a massive art gallery. Tons of glass and space aged plastic type stuff for the roof. I'd like to go one day.

Go Vikes!!

Will
01-08-2016, 09:43 AM
The expected temperature puts this game as one of the coldest in NFL history. However, given that the Seahawks have a tough defense and a good running back, one cannot conclude that this automatically gives the Vikings an advantage. I believe that the Vikings defense is mostly healthy as well, which is something they did not enjoy in the previous match-up.

1argoholic
01-08-2016, 06:00 PM
No one is giving the Vikings a shot. If Peterson can run wild the Vikes will win.

1argoholic
01-10-2016, 04:34 PM
WELL SHITE!!!! It's now time to trade Peterson if you can. With Bridgewater you need a better all around back who doesn't hold the ball like a loaf of bread. Trade him while you can get some great draft picks. Vikes have drafted very well the last four or five years. As a long time fan, just as long as I've been an Argo fan, this BLOWS. This team never gets their crap together. I was just talking about the Garry Anderson miss in the playoffs which was his only miss of the year that lost that game and Walsh shanked that short one. I would hate to be a Viking season ticket holder. They have won squat in their 54 year history.

Gill The Thrill
01-10-2016, 06:25 PM
As a very long time Viking fan I really hope he's got his crap together for the long haul. He's a beast when he gets rolling. They'll need him to be at his best against Seattle. I'm hoping for very cold temps awaiting the Hawks.

I too was very surprised about the indoor stadium but they want a facility that can be used year round. Have you seen this joint. It looks like a massive art gallery. Tons of glass and space aged plastic type stuff for the roof. I'd like to go one day.

Go Vikes!!Loved watching the Vikes play home games outdoors this year. Last week, I thought they should have rested the guys and given Green Bay the division as I sincerely thought the Washington matchup was better.

The expected temperature puts this game as one of the coldest in NFL history. However, given that the Seahawks have a tough defense and a good running back, one cannot conclude that this automatically gives the Vikings an advantage. I believe that the Vikings defense is mostly healthy as well, which is something they did not enjoy in the previous match-up.The Vikes did do well defensively but I'm not too impressed with Mr. No big game Peterson. 23 carries for 45 yards is a joke....sheesh, that's not even 2 yards a carry...that's ridiculous. You also think with a right handed kicker, they'd have kept the ball on the right of centre as the angle for a FG from the right hashmark would be easier. Idiot Peterson runs to the left on 3rd down making that kick tougher for Walsh. It's easier to hook the ball going across the body to Walsh's left which means that the kick would have been good from the right hashmark...simple frickin physics for crying out loud, but the Vikes having been a wimpy team since leaving the outdoors have forgotten that.

AngeloV
01-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Loved watching the Vikes play home games outdoors this year. Last week, I thought they should have rested the guys and given Green Bay the division as I sincerely thought the Washington matchup was better.

The Vikes did do well defensively but I'm not too impressed with Mr. No big game Peterson. 23 carries for 45 yards is a joke....sheesh, that's not even 2 yards a carry...that's ridiculous. You also think with a right handed kicker, they'd have kept the ball on the right of centre as the angle for a FG from the right hashmark would be easier. Idiot Peterson runs to the left on 3rd down making that kick tougher for Walsh. It's easier to hook the ball going across the body to Walsh's left which means that the kick would have been good from the right hashmark...simple frickin physics for crying out loud, but the Vikes having been a wimpy team since leaving the outdoors have forgotten that.

Get serious. A 27 yard FG shouldn't matter what hash is on. Holder didn't turn the laces, but that shouldn't matter on a 27 yard FG either. As for Peterson rushing the ball today, didn't matter who was running it. Seahawks D-Line blew up the Vikes O-line all day.

ArgoRavi
01-10-2016, 10:29 PM
WELL SHITE!!!! It's now time to trade Peterson if you can. With Bridgewater you need a better all around back who doesn't hold the ball like a loaf of bread. Trade him while you can get some great draft picks. Vikes have drafted very well the last four or five years. As a long time fan, just as long as I've been an Argo fan, this BLOWS. This team never gets their crap together. I was just talking about the Garry Anderson miss in the playoffs which was his only miss of the year that lost that game and Walsh shanked that short one. I would hate to be a Viking season ticket holder. They have won squat in their 54 year history.

It could be worse. You could be a Detroit Lions fan.

Double Dare
01-11-2016, 07:04 AM
It could be worse. You could be a Detroit Lions fan. Or a Bengals fan ...

Will
01-11-2016, 08:59 AM
At least the Argos sprinkle in Grey Cups with their moments of heartbreak. I cannot even say that about the Vikings. I feel that no matter how talented Zimmer builds the team to be that there will always be some supernatural force working against them.

BTW, Ravi jinxed it.

1argoholic
01-11-2016, 01:35 PM
I'm with argofan87 and the Vikes are like the Bills, both classic underachievers when it matters most. The Vikings had a guy, Jim Marshall return a fumble the wrong way. Gary Anderson missed his only Fieldgoal all year in 98 to help the Vikings lose. Yesterday's miss was horrible but I didn't see this team going very far anyhow. Hopefully the new stadium will help draw some great free agents. Plus as I've mentioned the Vikes have drafted GREAT the last four to five years. Bridgewater will continue to grow as a qb. I had on my new (old) Viking jersey that I found in Peterborough for very cheap. It was 81, Anthony Carter one of my favorite football players ever. From my Wolverines to the Vikings.
Might have to lift my boycott of traveling to the States and hit the new stadium one day.

Will
01-11-2016, 03:09 PM
It isn't as if the Vikings have gone through a long period of losing like say the Bengals, Browns or Lions. They have had some good teams throughout the years, but are simply cursed when it comes to the playoffs.

1argoholic
01-12-2016, 11:10 AM
It's the playoffs I'm talking about really. Some very hard playoff luck.

Will
01-12-2016, 11:31 AM
It's the playoffs I'm talking about really. Some very hard playoff luck.

Definitely, losing 4 Super Bowls in the 1970's. Pittsburgh, Oakland and Miami were very good in the 1970's, but even the Cowboys managed to sprinkle in a Super Bowl or two. Then in 1998 with Gary Anderson and 09 with bounty gate/Favre throwing that pick...

argolio
01-12-2016, 07:02 PM
They should have traded Adrian Peterson when they had the chance. Could have fleeced the Cowboys and gotten some revenge for the Herschel Walker trade.

Will
01-13-2016, 08:54 AM
They should have traded Adrian Peterson when they had the chance. Could have fleeced the Cowboys and gotten some revenge for the Herschel Walker trade.

They wouldn't have gotten to where they were without him most likely, however whether or not to keep Peterson is a debate that is taking place on Vikings message boards.

1argoholic
01-13-2016, 02:01 PM
Problem is that Bridgewater needs a guy like Peterson in the backfield.

Will
01-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Problem is that Bridgewater needs a guy like Peterson in the backfield.

I agree that the Vikings need an elite RB until it can be determined whether or not Bridgewater is the franchise QB. However, there is debate as to the chemistry of the two of them whereas Teddy might feel more comfortable in shotgun while that takes away from what Peterson tries to do. The 2nd year RB McKinnon has flashed plenty of potential, but it isn't clear whether he can be a #1.

argolio
01-13-2016, 11:54 PM
It would be harder to unload him now that he's on the wrong side of 30.

Gill The Thrill
01-14-2016, 01:46 AM
Get serious. A 27 yard FG shouldn't matter what hash is on. Holder didn't turn the laces, but that shouldn't matter on a 27 yard FG either. As for Peterson rushing the ball today, didn't matter who was running it. Seahawks D-Line blew up the Vikes O-line all day.It shouldn't matter but it did, the exact same kick with the same trajectory from the right hashmark would have given the Vikes the win, so to be dismissive about it makes you as foolish as the Viking coaches which didn't put much though into that also. Had I been coach of the Vikings and considered field position for kicking a field goal in a game with sub-zero temperatures then the Vikings would be getting ready for a game in Arizona this weekend having knocked off the defending NFC champions. Kicking a 27 FG in -20 is definitely not the same as kicking a football in a dome at room temperature, so every consideration should have been thought of to make that kick as easy as possible.

As for Peterson, how could you say it wouldn't matter who was running the ball? He's supposed to be the best back in the NFL, to avg less than 2 yds a carry and not break one in 23 carries is a below average game. Are you going to blame his crucial game changing fumble on the O-line also...good timing for that fumble too, the 4th quarter. This guy is as much a choke artist as Randy Moss was as a receiver for the Vikings or as much as other great backs who could never lead their teams in the playoffs. I'll take a Terrell Davis playoff performer, or even a one-game wonder Timmy Smith performance in a Super Bowl, than all the great September games played by Adrian Peterson.

It isn't as if the Vikings have gone through a long period of losing like say the Bengals, Browns or Lions. They have had some good teams throughout the years, but are simply cursed when it comes to the playoffs.
They lost their huge advantage of playing outdoors since moving to the Metrodome in 1981. I think it's no coincidence that 2 of the most dominating teams at home in the playoffs over the last 12-15 years have been Green Bay and New England. The only indoor teams that have won the Super Bowl, Indy and New Orleans were given more than a little help by questionable officiating during those playoff years. That NFC championship game between the Vikings and the Saints was the last NFL game that permitted defensive players from finishing their hits on QB's more than 3 seconds after getting rid of the football. Late hits weren't punished in that game as they were for other games that season as the NFL was more than happy to play the narrative of the Saints Super Bowl appearance representing some sort of rebirth for New Orleans after Katrina. People may not like that comment but it's true, as Peyton would be suspended a year later for allowing his coaches to put bounties on opposing QB's. The Saints have hardly competed since then.

Problem is that Bridgewater needs a guy like Peterson in the backfield.Is Bridgewater really much better at this stage in his career than Christian Ponder was in Minnesota. He was hardly able to push the ball downfield, partly because it was cold on Sunday but throughout the season he wasn't pushing it downfield either because he's not the most consistent passer. He's not bad, but I thought they were hyping him up a bit too much while running Ponder out of town for similar imperfections.

Will
01-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Is Bridgewater really much better at this stage in his career than Christian Ponder was in Minnesota. He was hardly able to push the ball downfield, partly because it was cold on Sunday but throughout the season he wasn't pushing it downfield either because he's not the most consistent passer. He's not bad, but I thought they were hyping him up a bit too much while running Ponder out of town for similar imperfections.

I'd like to see what he can do with a decent offensive line.

Will
08-03-2016, 11:23 PM
I expect that this team should be at or around 11-5 once again. You can never count out the Packers in the division, but the Bears and Lions don't appear to be a factor.

Will
09-23-2016, 10:32 PM
The Vikings, in the span of 3 weeks, have lost their starting QB, RB and LT. Still they are 2-0 and have played great defence over the first two weeks. Plus, Stefon Diggs looks like a keeper at WR. I'm interested to see what McKinnon can do as the starting RB. He played well in bunches last year, but I need to see if the can be a long-term replacement for Adrian Peterson.

Will
10-10-2016, 10:34 AM
The Vikings defence is really, really, really, really, really, really, really good!

AngeloV
10-10-2016, 10:35 AM
The Vikings defence is really, really, really, really, really, really, really good!

I think you are 1 "really" short on your assessment.

:)

Will
01-14-2018, 09:29 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jerrym
01-15-2018, 02:35 AM
Here's the video of the Minneapolis miracle!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">here&#39;s Paul Allen&#39;s (<a href="https://twitter.com/PAOnTheMic?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@PAOnTheMic</a>) nutso call for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Vikings?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Vikings</a> win <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NOvsMIN?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NOvsMIN</a> <a href="https://t.co/gNev8sSDg2">pic.twitter.com/gNev8sSDg2</a></p>&mdash; Corey Marra (@coribald) <a href="https://twitter.com/coribald/status/952718190861107201?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 15, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

paulwoods13
01-15-2018, 07:59 AM
That was one of the craziest endings of all time. Vikings fans deserve to be feeling good, but it's all largely due to one of the worst mistakes a DB has ever made. This is why players should be taught to tackle with their arms instead of going for the body-block kill shot.

gilthethrill
01-15-2018, 09:50 AM
That was one of the craziest endings of all time. Vikings fans deserve to be feeling good, but it's all largely due to one of the worst mistakes a DB has ever made. This is why players should be taught to tackle with their arms instead of going for the body-block kill shot.

Thing is the situation had to be discussed to the secondary by either the DC or position coach before that drive. Feel especially bad for Drew Brees. With all the focus on QB "won loss" record, he will be unjustly viewed as a player who could not get his team to the Final 4.

paulwoods13
01-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Yeah, they should have all agreed, "Let them catch it if necessary, just make the tackle." The DB claimed, I think, that he was trying to avoid a PI call so he went low. But why not just stay deeper and then wrap the guy up?

OV Argo
01-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Thing is the situation had to be discussed to the secondary by either the DC or position coach before that drive. Feel especially bad for Drew Brees. With all the focus on QB "won loss" record, he will be unjustly viewed as a player who could not get his team to the Final 4.

Have to wonder why there was no deep safety right in the MIDDLE of the field in that situation = IMO a must on such a prevent defence; so even if the guys covering the receivers on one side F-up ( and that was amongst the worst defensive blunders in the history of the game - feel sorry for the rookie, but it was brutal to just dive blindly at the guy in such a situation) - the deep safety can still be coming over from the middle (and it's not as far on the American field) and at least make some sort of play; just tackling the guy in bounds and the game was over; or even just knocking him out of bounds inside the 10 and they still have to line-up to try the FG for the win - and that can be missed or blocked. ZERO reason for a receiver to catch a ball and just be able to waltz down the side-line for a walk-off TD - especially in that situation. Not having your chess pieces (players) lined-up properly = pi$$-poor coaching IMO.

And so much for the supposed dominant Vikings defence - who got shredded big-time in the 2nd half by Brees (and yes a great veteran QB).

There just are NOT anymore dominant defences around in pro football these days. CFL or NFL. Dominant defences shut-down offences, sack the QB, force fumbles, make picks and sometimes score defensive TDs as well and do not give up many points - they might be allowed one weak game in the regular season, but not in the play-offs. The 85 Bears SB team D was that way. Or see the 67 Ticats GC team - allowed only 195 points in 14 reg. season games (an average of under 14 per game), and in 3 consecutive play-off games ending in the GC - gave up 3, 0 and 1 point.

ArgoRavi
01-15-2018, 02:00 PM
Yeah, they should have all agreed, "Let them catch it if necessary, just make the tackle." The DB claimed, I think, that he was trying to avoid a PI call so he went low. But why not just stay deeper and then wrap the guy up?

In fairness, the receiver was also close enough to the sidelines that he could have gotten out of bounds in time. When he first caught the ball, I thought that was exactly what he was going to do, as I didn't realize he had a free lane to the endzone.

gilthethrill
01-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Here's the video of the Minneapolis miracle!

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 500px; height: 455.812px; padding: 0px; border: none; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="952718190861107201" title="Twitter Tweet"></iframe> <script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Has anyone took time to listen to the Saints broadcast team call the final play?<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.9c00c8ca14a8618c4db8e2c43139b138.htm l?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argofans.com" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

7dj83r8f78t4alf8