PDA

View Full Version : Ford pushes Grey Cup tailgate party

matchuk
09-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Maybe Mayor Rob Ford is just in a partying mood.

Ford is cheering for the idea of holding a tailgate party in downtown Toronto during the Grey Cup this November.

“We have to get a tailgate (party),” Ford said during a Newstalk 1010 interview at Ford Fest Friday night. “When I went to Calgary and Edmonton it is full of tailgating and there is no reason why we can’t tailgate.”

Toronto is hosting the 100th annual Grey Cup game on Nov. 25.

Ford said it should be possible to close Front St. for the party.

“They can shut it down for marathons and shut it down for the Indy — there is no reason why we can’t shutdown Front St,” he added. “I definitely want to do that and if we’re going to do it — let’s do it right.”

The mayor — an avid football fan and high school football coach — said he wants this year’s Grey Cup to go down in the record books.

“I’m going to do everything in my power to make this the best Grey Cup we’ve ever had,” Ford said.

The sold-out game is leading to lots of calls to the mayor’s office.

“People are calling our office non-stop trying to get tickets,” Ford said. “I wish we could fit more than 55,000 in ... Rogers Centre.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/09/ford-pushes-grey-cup-tailgate-party

Argocister
09-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Awesome
:o

T-Bone
09-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Awesome
I agree but will he still be Mayor.

Will
09-09-2012, 08:31 PM
The Toronto Star (no friend of Ford) stated that Ford's chances of being turfed are "real, but slim."

Is he talking about closing Front Street for the Grey Cup or for every game?

Midnight Blue
09-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Awesome

I agree. Mayor Rob Ford still coaches High School Football I believe, and while some on this forum may not like him, I can assure you, that some of us do. Though it's not my intention to politicize this thread. We're all friends here.

Mulder
09-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Ummmm. Has Ford not been to a Grey Cup Festival before????

I tailgated 2007 Grey Cup. Was at the Lot at 8 AM, had planned it with a few friends. I was alone until about 10 when another group showed up tailgated and chatted with them until about 3:30 when other people actually arrived. And by the time the lot started cleaning out from the Raptors game, 4. There was a grand total of maybe 40 people there. Had fun. But was totally not worth it and won't do it this year.

Will
09-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Your going to tell me that Zach made that tailgate not worth having :)

AngeloV
09-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Of course he wants one. Wants to get bevied up and hop behind the wheel of his car and drive home. Then he can call 911 and complain that people are harassing him.

Midnight Blue
09-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Of course he wants one. Wants to get bevied up and hop behind the wheel of his car and drive home. Then he can call 911 and complain that people are harassing him.

I'm sure he'd rather face his harrassers on the street, instead of having them lurk around his backyard.

1argoholic
09-10-2012, 12:22 AM
It'll be a gongshow if that fat drunken Knob is involved. It'll be a Vancouver Hockey riot all over again. Does he just want morons who aren't football fans to show up and screw up.

argonaut11xx
09-10-2012, 07:23 PM
That said...HELL YEA...lets tailgate like they do in Detroit...Im all for BEER, more BEER, and some BEER for dessert....and abit of BBQ for garnish.

1argoholic
09-10-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't give a rats ass about his political views. I'm saying that a huge so called tailgate that brings in a bunch of knobs that aren't there for Grey Cup could be a disaster just like the last hockey riot in Vancouver. By Sunday the last thing I want to to get pissed at Grey Cup. Normally we start on Thursday and continue Friday and Sat. This year we get to TO on Weds. Now I don't mind true tailgating with football fans, vehicles, bbq's and the like. Where the hell is that going to happen. You can't just shut a street have a few hotdog carts and call it a tailgate.

LLB997
09-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Sunday he tailgates with CFL fans, Monday he goes back to trying to get a No Fun League team to relocate to the Big Smoke.

1argoholic
09-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Well said LLB997. If he's there will any amount of food be enough?

jerrym
09-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Sunday he tailgates with CFL fans, Monday he goes back to trying to get a No Fun League team to relocate to the Big Smoke.

From Vancouver, that's exactly my impression of the man.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8