PDA

View Full Version : How do you pick who to cheer for in non Argo games?

1argoholic
09-21-2012, 02:44 PM
I cheer for my wife's Stamps unless they are playing TO. All other games I try to cheer for a win that will help TO or Calgary. Tonight I'm not sure if I'd like Hamilton to just bury Winnipeg or have Winnipeg beat Hamilton and help give us breathing room. Normally when you really hope for help in the standings it doesn't work out.
I remember Pinball telling me at practice once that you never cheer for teams that are behind you. So I guess a Winnipeg win would be best. In a perfect world we should hope that the Argos can take care of their own business.

matchuk
09-21-2012, 03:21 PM
i cheer for the team that wont hurt us in the standings....like tonight, a winnipeg win is a lot better for us then a hamilton win...go bombers! as for most west games, or a game that wont effect us, i just want to see a good game and not a blowout

ArgoRavi
09-21-2012, 03:24 PM
I cheer for my wife's Stamps unless they are playing TO. All other games I try to cheer for a win that will help TO or Calgary. Tonight I'm not sure if I'd like Hamilton to just bury Winnipeg or have Winnipeg beat Hamilton and help give us breathing room. Normally when you really hope for help in the standings it doesn't work out.
I remember Pinball telling me at practice once that you never cheer for teams that are behind you. So I guess a Winnipeg win would be best. In a perfect world we should hope that the Argos can take care of their own business.

I find that early in the season I am less concerned about who wins the other games but certainly by this point in the season I become much more concerned. I, like you, have mixed feelings about tonight's game. The Bombers may be my least favourite team so seeing them lose does not make my unhappy in the least. However, a Hamilton loss wouldn't be bad for us either. However, as long as we win enough of our games, tonight's game won't matter much for our positioning.

LLB997
09-21-2012, 05:24 PM
The team i would cheer for if the Argos are not there would be Montreal. I generally go for the east unless its Hamilton, then i would take the west team.

ArgoGabe22
09-21-2012, 05:26 PM
West over East. Stamps over other Western team and lower placed Eastern team vs Eastern team. Don't really care who wins EDM vs SSK tbh

DanTheFan
09-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Late in the season, I worry most about how it impacts the Argos. Aside from that, I just want a close entertaining game.

jerrym
09-21-2012, 11:01 PM
i cheer for the team that wont hurt us in the standings....like tonight, a winnipeg win is a lot better for us then a hamilton win...go bombers! as for most west games, or a game that wont effect us, i just want to see a good game and not a blowout

I follow a similar strategy in most respects, including Winnipeg's win against Hamilton tonight. If it doesn't hurt the Argos I cheer for BC since I live in the Lower Mainland. I also have a soft spot for Saskatchewan as the little city that could (I like underdogs - you have to if you started cheering for the Argos in 1959 and waited until 1983 until they won a Grey Cup after a 31 year drought).

1argoholic
09-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Those were the days that the famous Argo line of there's always next year started. I remember many of those years as I was born in 62 and really became a fan at the age of seven.

LLB997
09-22-2012, 01:58 AM
When i say i cheer for the east aside from Hamilton, i mean in terms of playoffs and grey cups with the Argos not being a part of it. If the Argos are in any way neg. affected by an outcome i obviously hope the opposite happens.

Ron
09-22-2012, 02:22 AM
I cheer somewhat for Hamilton at their home games when they don't play Toronto. Other than that I don't cheer for anyone else.

I also take no mind to how the game affects the Argos. If say the Cats win a game vs Sask that hurts the Argos ... then it's the Argos fault for needing Sask's help. Thus I have no sympathy for them.

Argocister
09-22-2012, 07:12 AM
The Ticats are cheered for.... Especially when they are at home or my hubby is around.
Then I usually look for various CIS players I follow or which team has the most non-imports. Last 2 years I have been cheering for Calgary as they stepped in the unknown with taking Sinopoli on as a Canadian QB..... Although he is mostly a clipboard holder :(

I'm a Bishops and McMaster fan..... So I'm really hoping for someone to take Quinlan seriously next year. After a summer with the Al's, he's taken control of the CIS.

Ballstothewall
09-22-2012, 09:57 PM

Mark
Whats the best time of year to re-seed my lawn?

1argoholic
09-23-2012, 01:13 AM
What's wrong with it? Top dressing and seeding can be done now. What doesn't germinate now will in spring or you can do it early spring. Plenty of great grass seed varieties around now for faster germination, more drought tolerant,less mow all that good stuff. Buy a good quality seed not some gimic product that will grow on concrete.

shayman
09-23-2012, 11:29 AM
I cheer for the home team. I want the league to grow and prosper and the best way for that to happen is for the home teams to delight their fans.

argonaut11xx
09-23-2012, 01:07 PM
My second favorite team to cheer for is....... "whoever is playing the ti-cats"

Midnight Blue
09-24-2012, 04:08 AM
Unless it affects the Argos....

Being of Ukrainian ancestry and spirit, I gotta go with the Perogy Belt :

Edmonton, Saskatchewan, and Winnipeg.

Screw BC. They don't like us in Ontario, because all of their favourite TV shows are three hours early.
And, for some silly reason, apparently they, think they should be the center of the Universe. Fat chance.
Karma is a bitch. Screw BC.

Montreal has been messing up our playoff hopes for far to long. To hell with Montreal.

Midnight Blue
09-24-2012, 04:38 AM
I was always indifferent towards Calgary, but since 1argoholic's hot Wife likes them, and one of my favourite ex-Girlfriends is from Calgary (the chick would drive a five-speed wearing nothing but a mini-skirt and heels and stockings -- and a marginal top), I will cheer for Calgary, on occasion. And I met some cool Ti-Cat fans in a bar in Ham in the 80's, and they said that if the Cats were out, they cheered for the Argos to win the Cup. I had no idea that was allowed. So, out of respect, if the Cats should ever represent the East in the Cup (what a sad state of affairs that would be) I would cheer for them. Also, for the Newfoundland Screechers, should they ever show up. Oh, and I'd cheer for Ottawa, at least until they get well established. What a fun thread.

QBall
09-24-2012, 12:46 PM
I like to cheer for the underdog so generally whoever is lower in the standings between the two teams is who I root for. It usually results in disappointment however every now and then when the underdog wins it's a sweet feeling.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8