PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feels the nerves while waiting on Ricky Ray news?

1argoholic
09-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I just want to hear that he's day to day. I'll feel sick if it's four to six weeks or something like that. Perhaps he can play with a huge O lineman type brace. Good vibes going Ricy's way from Vancouver Island. Perhaps some BC Bud could help or some cookies. haha.

Should pre read before posting. Midnight Blue the english major will rip me for that title.haha That is bad. hahaha.

Will
09-24-2012, 11:52 AM
It's not ruining my day or anything, but I am eager to know his status.

Midnight Blue
09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
It's not ruining my day or anything, but I am eager to know his status.

I'm fine. Thanks for asking.

Will
09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm fine. Thanks for asking.

Good to hear Ricky!

AngeloV
09-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I'm really hoping it isn't anything that will hold him out past this week in Winnipeg. Nothing against JJ, but the offence is so much more in control with Ray behind centre.

gilthethrill
09-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Hope Ray is not on the sidelines for the same length of time During has spent there.

Midnight Blue
09-24-2012, 12:12 PM
```````````

Midnight Blue
09-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Good to her Ricky!

I am, good to her. But my name ain't Ricky.

Midnight Blue
09-24-2012, 12:27 PM
I just want to hear that he's day to day. I'll feel sick if it's four to six weeks or something like that. Perhaps he can play with a huge O lineman type brace. Good vibes going Ricky's way from Vancouver Island. Perhaps some BC Bud could help or some cookies. haha.

Should pre read before posting. Midnight Blue the english major will rip me for that title.haha That is bad. hahaha.

Title? What title? Punk Rockers don't use titles, do you?

And I'm not an English Major. I was a Cadet NCO. Fun as hell.

Then I got into trapping and conversing with Beavers. They can really mess you up. But I survived.

QBall
09-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm not overly concerned as I think Jarius Jackson has the potential to step up and be the starter. However the one thing the Argos needs now is consistency in their starting lineup in order to be a more cohesive unit, but that's football for you.

marcwagz
09-24-2012, 01:03 PM
I'D rather harris play over jackson, thought he had potential in the pre season

gilthethrill
09-24-2012, 01:18 PM

Harris does have potential, you are right, which is why he sits in favour of the proven vet in Jackson.

AngeloV
09-24-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm not overly concerned as I think Jarius Jackson has the potential to step up and be the starter. However the one thing the Argos needs now is consistency in their starting lineup in order to be a more cohesive unit, but that's football for you.

Of course you're not concerned. IIRC, you don't think much of Ray, calling him Captain Checkdown", and claiming he was only interested in his stats.

1argoholic
09-24-2012, 01:49 PM
If Ray is out for any period of time we're one hit away from seeing Harris and I'm excited to see what he could do. Not that I want to see Jackson hurt. I'm hoping Harris could be our Travis Lulay. I'd love to see him develop in TO.

AngeloV
09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Of course you're not concerned. IIRC, you don't think much of Ray, calling him Captain Checkdown", and claiming he was only interested in his stats.

Apologies to QBall. Got your name confused with Qman. He is the one that is anti-Ray. Should have researched before posting and not after. :o

QBall
09-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Apologies to QBall. Got your name confused with Qman. He is the one that is anti-Ray. Should have researched before posting and not after. :o

Lol, no problem. It's easy to get people in the Q Continuum mixed up.

Invader
09-24-2012, 05:38 PM

I'm convinced the Argos could win the Grey Cup with J. Jackson at pivot. This is why they signed him, in case R. Ray got injured their season wouldn't be over.

The main issue is Jackson can't run the Argos offence, he's just not a short pass, high-percentage kind of QB like Ray. They need to redesign the offence for Jarious, who can be very effective with the medium-long range passes.

Jarious also hasn't played very much of the past several years, so it may take him a game or two to get dialed in. But I believe he'll get better and better with each game he plays. That's why I say he could win the Argos the championship because by playoff time he could be a formidable force.

Hopefully Ricky will be back soon the lead the Argos but the team will be in good hands if JJ is called upon.

NelsonP204
09-24-2012, 06:16 PM
I love Harris and the potential that he brings to the team and I think that Zach Collaros has some long range potential as well. I understand that Jarious is a vet and can do an adequate job but it would be nice to see what Trevor can do other than the job he does holding for field goals. Cmon lets give a young guy a shot and get that potential in there. Stick with Jarious and you are sticking with mediocre why not give the young QB a shot to see if he has what it takes. Trevor Harris has some real potential i think.

paulwoods13
09-24-2012, 09:47 PM
They need to redesign the offence for Jarious . . .

That is not going to happen. A few tweaks to play selection, sure, but redesign at this stage? No way.

ArgoRavi
09-24-2012, 10:45 PM
According to Mike Hogan on Twitter, Ray will not require surgery and is day-to-day and not week-to-week. He is questionable for the Winnipeg game. My guess is that the Argos won't take any chances with Ray this week especially considering that the next game will be a week and a half after (against the Riders on Thanksgiving Monday).

Stevoman
09-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Stick with Jarious and you are sticking with mediocre why not give the young QB a shot to see if he has what it takes. Trevor Harris has some real potential i think. Because this is a big game and so you go with the one next on the depth chart. If he falters during the game however...

AngeloV
09-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Harris is a raw rookie, and unless it's an extreme emergency, I wouldn't play him 1 down this year. That is the way the Eskimos broke in their QB's in the 80's, and I think Dunnigan, Allen and Ham did alright. Those guys all spent their first year in the league charting plays and not even dressing. Far too many young QB's in this league have been thrown in before they were ready and had their confidence shot and careers ended early.

Ron
09-25-2012, 01:45 AM
If Ray is out for any period of time we're one hit away from seeing Harris and I'm excited to see what he could do. Not that I want to see Jackson hurt. I'm hoping Harris could be our Travis Lulay. I'd love to see him develop in TO.

If you want him to be our Travis Lulay ... then you also do not want him rushed. So don't be as excited to see what he can do. ;)

Ron
09-25-2012, 01:47 AM

To be fair. The unemployment line in the CFL is full of guys who looked to have potential in preseason only to fold in a real game.

gilthethrill
09-25-2012, 08:24 AM
I can't believe people want to see Harris start over a competent backup in Jarious Jackson.....If Harris sees action, it will be in garbage time...hopefully when the score is in our favour.

argotom
09-25-2012, 11:14 AM
I think Jackson if he plays this week will do just fine.
He did a decent job on Sunday after coming in cold and not throwing one pass all year.
He attacked downfield and you could see some passes were more timing issues then anything else.
The pass to Inman was a thing of beauty.
If Ricky is out for a period of time, the team will need to bring in a third QB?

Mulder
09-25-2012, 11:36 AM
I can't believe people want to see Harris start over a competent backup in Jarious Jackson.....If Harris sees action, it will be in garbage time...hopefully when the score is in our favour.

I would have liked to see what Harris play in garbage time on Sunday. But I understand it was still much better to get Jackson some reps in game since we may go with him vs Winnipeg

paulwoods13
09-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Harris is a raw rookie, and unless it's an extreme emergency, I wouldn't play him 1 down this year. That is the way the Eskimos broke in their QB's in the 80's, and I think Dunnigan, Allen and Ham did alright. Those guys all spent their first year in the league charting plays and not even dressing. Far too many young QB's in this league have been thrown in before they were ready and had their confidence shot and careers ended early.

I agree, although I am pretty sure those three all did dress in their rookie season. Dunigan was No. 2 for a year behind Moon (1983), Allen was No. 2 behind Dunigan in 1985 and I am pretty sure the league went to three QBs dressed around the time Ham arrived in 1987. Pretty sure I remember seeing him in uniform on the sidelines in the 1987 GC.

Rich
09-25-2012, 12:45 PM
That is not going to happen. A few tweaks to play selection, sure, but redesign at this stage? No way.

We've got to find ways to take advantage of JJ's mobility. Surely we can have him roll out more. How about throwing in a QB draw? Various Jarious is a great ball carrier for a QB. He's a big guy who doesn't bail all the time. I'd like to see him with 10 carries at least. I'm excited to see him after a week of 1st team reps. Who knows, maybe this offence will start confusing defences because of the different look at QB. Maybe everything will suddenly start clicking. Not likely, I agree, but who knows? Then we'd have a situation at QB like the 2004 Lions, wouldn't that be fun? In the meantime, Go Jarious Go.

gilthethrill
09-25-2012, 01:12 PM
What was the Argos record in 2004 (it was not stellar) when D.A. went down & Michael Bishop stepped in & held things together (4-4-1) until Damon returned? We could see a similar situation this year until R.R. returns.

ArgoGabe22
09-25-2012, 01:14 PM
What was the Argos record in 2004 (it was not stellar) when D.A. went down & Michael Bishop stepped in & held things together (4-4-1) until Damon returned? We could see a similar situation this year until R.R. returns.

Or it could turn out like when Bishop went down and in came Rocky Butler who had a "rocky" rest of the season.

gilthethrill
09-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Or it could turn out like when Bishop went down and in came Rocky Butler who had a "rocky" rest of the season.

Yes, I was trying to forget that..thanks Gabe....

ArgoGabe22
09-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Quite confusing National Post says he's day to day and might play (probably unlikely) but Sportsnet says out indefinitely.

gilthethrill
09-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Winnipeg media expect Ray to start Saturday night...stay tuned...

Mulder
09-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Quite confusing National Post says he's day to day and might play (probably unlikely) but Sportsnet says out indefinitely.

Not surprising at all, (Tin Foil hat time) Ricky is a star player, Star players (should) draw crowds and TV eyeballs. Sportsnet (no real friend of the CFL) reports that a star player is out in an attempt to remove interest. This way they can justify not reporting on the Argo's the next game because no "star" player.

/rant off

AngeloV
09-25-2012, 01:54 PM
I agree, although I am pretty sure those three all did dress in their rookie season. Dunigan was No. 2 for a year behind Moon (1983), Allen was No. 2 behind Dunigan in 1985 and I am pretty sure the league went to three QBs dressed around the time Ham arrived in 1987. Pretty sure I remember seeing him in uniform on the sidelines in the 1987 GC.

You are probably right about Dunnigan and Allen Paul, but Ham definitely did not dress in '87. I've seen that Grey Cup many times, and he was in street clothes on the sidelines with clipboard in hand during that game. I believe ony 2 QB's dressed back then.

ArgoGabe22
09-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Ray officially out

TORONTO -- The Toronto Argonauts announced Tuesday afternoon that QB Jarious Jackson will get the start under centre in place of an injured Ricky Ray when they travel to Winnipeg to take on the Blue Bombers Saturday night.

Jackson completed 15 of 31 passes for 198 yards and threw one interception in relief of Ray last weekend after the Argos' starting pivot went down with a knee injury.

Ray had completed just 3 of 4 passes for 30 yards before leaving the contest.

Argos coach Scott Milanovich said Tuesday that Ray suffered strained ligaments in his knee in Sunday's loss in Montreal and will miss the club's game in Winnipeg.

Milanovich added the hope is Ray will return to the starting lineup the following week.

Jackson joined the Argos in the off-season after being released by the BC Lions where he spent seven seasons, passing for more than 7,000 yards and rushing for over 1,000 yards. This will be Jackson's first start with the Boatmen but the 23rd of his career.

More to follow.

Will
09-25-2012, 02:08 PM

The Argos were 5-2 when Damon Allen got injured in a game against Montreal interestingly enough. Bishop beat Winnipeg, Edmonton, BC and Calgary and lost to Lions, Blue Bombers and tied the Ticats so he was actually 4-2-1 as the starter.

paulwoods13
09-25-2012, 03:03 PM
You are probably right about Dunnigan and Allen Paul, but Ham definitely did not dress in '87. I've seen that Grey Cup many times, and he was in street clothes on the sidelines with clipboard in hand during that game. I believe ony 2 QB's dressed back then.

I stand corrected about the GC. I found an online stats site (totalfootballstats.com) that says Ham dressed for five games in 1987, throwing 36 passes. Same site says Allen dressed in 18 games and Dunigan in 13 games that season, so clearly only two QBs could dress per game. Ham must have dressed in the five Dunigan missed.

ArgoRavi
09-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I stand corrected about the GC. I found an online stats site (totalfootballstats.com) that says Ham dressed for five games in 1987, throwing 36 passes. Same site says Allen dressed in 18 games and Dunigan in 13 games that season, so clearly only two QBs could dress per game. Ham must have dressed in the five Dunigan missed.

In 1986, the league allowed teams to dress 3 QBs but that only lasted one season as they were trying to save money so they went back to 2 QBs until 1990 or 1991 IIRC. I know that by 1991, 3 QBs were being dressed again.

Will
09-25-2012, 03:26 PM
2 QB's sounds about right. In 1987 the Argos had Congemi (14 GP), Barrett (13 GP) and Renfroe (9 GP), which would mean 18 games x 2 QB's = 36 GP.

Bleeds Double Blue
09-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Who needs Ricky Ray anyway?

We do but JJ will be fine this week.

paulwoods13
09-25-2012, 03:43 PM
In 1986, the league allowed teams to dress 3 QBs but that only lasted one season as they were trying to save money so they went back to 2 QBs until 1990 or 1991 IIRC. I know that by 1991, 3 QBs were being dressed again.

Just about positive it was also three in 1990 as I seem to recall a number of Argo blowout wins so big that Willie Gillus, the third-stringer, got in.

Will
09-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Just about positive it was also three in 1990 as I seem to recall a number of Argo blowout wins so big that Willie Gillus, the third-stringer, got in.

I know for sure that the Argos used three QB's in 1991 on several occasions. The home opener against Hamilton that they won 41-18 saw Dunigan (injury), Foggie and Gillus all play. I believe a 62-10 win against Saskatchewan that season also saw Foggie, Gillus and Fred McNair (Steve's brother) get in there. I could see if this occurred in 1991 too.

QBall
09-25-2012, 05:25 PM
According to Mike Hogan on Twitter, Ray will not require surgery and is day-to-day and not week-to-week. He is questionable for the Winnipeg game. My guess is that the Argos won't take any chances with Ray this week especially considering that the next game will be a week and a half after (against the Riders on Thanksgiving Monday).

Start Ray and risk further injury to your starting quarterback or start J.J./Harris and risk losing to a divisional rival trying to catch you when you're on a two game losing streak. The suspense is going to kill me, but either way it's going to be a frickin' great game.

ArgoRavi
09-25-2012, 07:11 PM

Now that you mention it, Paul, did the Argos not go through three QBs in the Eastern semi-final against Ottawa in 1990? IIRC, both Foggie and Congemi were injured early in the game and Willie Gillus had to come off the bench and QB the team for the final three quarters or so.

argolio
09-25-2012, 11:56 PM
We've got to find ways to take advantage of JJ's mobility. Surely we can have him roll out more. How about throwing in a QB draw? Various Jarious is a great ball carrier for a QB. He's a big guy who doesn't bail all the time. I'd like to see him with 10 carries at least.I disagree with most of that. No doubt he's a big strong guy, and among the league's best at short yardage, but his career rushing stats reveal nothing special (even if you remove his short yardage plays). He was never a speed demon in his prime, never consistently made defenders miss, and has always been primarily a straight-line runner. Maybe put in a couple of plays for him, but I think giving JJ ten designed rushes (beyond short yardage) would be a huge waste.

Rich
09-27-2012, 11:28 AM
I disagree with most of that. No doubt he's a big strong guy, and among the league's best at short yardage, but his career rushing stats reveal nothing special (even if you remove his short yardage plays). He was never a speed demon in his prime, never consistently made defenders miss, and has always been primarily a straight-line runner. Maybe put in a couple of plays for him, but I think giving JJ ten designed rushes (beyond short yardage) would be a huge waste.

I never said 10 designed plays, I said at least 10 carries. If there's nobody open I want to see him not hesitate to take off and run. His running could rattle the Winnipeg defence and maybe open up some of the receivers. I know Jarious is no Cam Newton, but the truth is that this league is better suited to a mobile QB, and let's face it, Ray's footspeed is slow and getting slower. Showing Winnipeg a different look at QB might really shake things up in a positive way. I'd rather take my chances on a QB running the ball with a nice head of steam as opposed to settling for a 2 yard checkdown that has little chance of going anywhere.

AngeloV
09-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I'd rather take my chances on a QB running the ball with a nice head of steam as opposed to settling for a 2 yard checkdown that has little chance of going anywhere.

I think Ray's and Calvillo's success over the years proves that checking down when necessary is not a bad option.

Stevoman
09-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I think Ray's and Calvillo's success over the years proves that checking down when necessary is not a bad option.
True, but I'd rather watch Rickey Foggie run for those yards than throw...he'd probably throw a pick anyway though! Speaking of him, he was another that never made the reunion last year. I know he's still busy coaching.

argolio
09-27-2012, 11:49 PM
I never said 10 designed plays, I said at least 10 carries. If there's nobody open I want to see him not hesitate to take off and run. His running could rattle the Winnipeg defence and maybe open up some of the receivers. I know Jarious is no Cam Newton, but the truth is that this league is better suited to a mobile QB, and let's face it, Ray's footspeed is slow and getting slower. Showing Winnipeg a different look at QB might really shake things up in a positive way. I'd rather take my chances on a QB running the ball with a nice head of steam as opposed to settling for a 2 yard checkdown that has little chance of going anywhere.Not even Damon Allen or Tracy Ham at their running best ever averaged 10 carries a game. Do you really expect the coaches to tell 35 year-old Jarious Jackson to do that? And why take carries away from Kackert?

1argoholic
09-28-2012, 12:06 AM
35 isn't old. hahaha. He's a youngster.

OV Argo
09-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Not even Damon Allen or Tracy Ham at their running best ever averaged 10 carries a game. Do you really expect the coaches to tell 35 year-old Jarious Jackson to do that? And why take carries away from Kackert?

Again - not designated run plays for the QB - but, a few designed run calls for the QB + take off and run some when coverage is there or routes don't pan out; i agree with those who would rather see a big and even half-way decent mobiltiy QB take-off some rather than dump it off to 3 yard average gain check-downs - we see wayyy to much of that $h*t in the CFL game now. Do something different - including way more ground game - give Kackert 20+ carries and mix in a few run plays to Jeff Johnson or Durie or whoever too.

And if Jackson falters badly - i hope the coaching brain-trust is not terribly hestiant to give Harris a shot - the guy was very good in ex. games and has a very fine college QB resume - don't be gutless/frightened to give quality young players a shot!

argolio
09-29-2012, 01:03 PM
In theory the QB can take off on any play that breaks down (assuming he doesn't get sacked), but I don't think the Argos want JJ to do that a lot. On the other hand, there might an opportunity for some QB rushing yards because the Bomber pass rush over-pursues at times.

I don't even want to think about how bad the situation would have to be for Harris to come in.

gilthethrill
09-29-2012, 01:41 PM
And if Jackson falters badly - i hope the coaching brain-trust is not terribly hestiant to give Harris a shot - the guy was very good in ex. games and has a very fine college QB resume - don't be gutless/frightened to give quality young players a shot!

Edmonton's qb's have been faltering lately which gave Matt Nichols a shot last night. Like I posted before, I hope Harris stays on the bench unless he is moping up in garbage time with the Argos leading big.

1argoholic
09-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Nichols, Tate and Lulay all looked good early in their carriers. I wouldn't hesitate with Harris either. You hate to say it but we're one hit away from Harris and Collaros being numbers one and two. I think both have a shot of being great CFL qb's.

ArgoRavi
09-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Nichols, Tate and Lulay all looked good early in their carriers. I wouldn't hesitate with Harris either. You hate to say it but we're one hit away from Harris and Collaros being numbers one and two. I think both have a shot of being great CFL qb's.

Nichols has only received playing time this year which is his third season in the CFL. Lulay only received significant playing time once he hit his second CFL season after several years in the NFL while Tate only became a starter in his fifth CFL season. This is Harris' first season in the league and third as a pro. Collaros is in his first season as a pro. There are really only a handful of QBs in their first CFL season who have excelled over the last four decades. There would seem to be little reason at this point to rush either Harris or Collaros.

OV Argo
09-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Nice call Rich - about Jackson and some runs - a few decent runs helped the O tonight; way better than dinky 2 yard check down completions or throwing a pick.

AngeloV
09-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Nice call Rich - about Jackson and some runs - a few decent runs helped the O tonight; way better than dinky 2 yard check down completions or throwing a pick.

Are you kidding me? 4 interceptions (and a couple of fumble recoveries)and the offence only scored 22 points against a horrible team(and only 8 after the first quarter. You can think it was better than the regular offence the Argos run, but it sure as hell wasn't. Defence was why the Argos one this game.

paulwoods13
09-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Yes, way better for Jackson to do. But surely you are not suggesting that Ricky Ray should run like that instead of checking down?

larz-7
09-29-2012, 11:04 PM
i am ,yes we won tonite but it wasnt because of our offence.jackson did his job he did not lose the the game.Ray is our best chance to win games with that said i would not mind seeing jackson come in when we our behind to change things up

Will
09-29-2012, 11:20 PM
I caught the tail end of the post-game show on 1050 and they said at this point that RR is unlikely to play against Saskatchewan, but there is 9 days in between now and then so who knows...

argotom
09-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Jackson in Toronto is like Glenn in Calgary, a more than capable replacement.

Will
09-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Jackson in Toronto is like Glenn in Calgary, a more than capable replacement.

I think I'd trust Glenn over the long-run a lot more than Jackson.

argotom
09-29-2012, 11:44 PM
I don't know about that.
Jackson is a double threat, with the great arm and the legs.

OV Argo
09-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Yes, way better for Jackson to do. But surely you are not suggesting that Ricky Ray should run like that instead of checking down?

I'm suggesting the call that it might be good for a big, half-way decent mobile QB like Jackson to take-off and run some might help this Argo offence,sort of looked right and helped the offence tonight. It might not suit an offensive genius know-it-all type OC like AV, but good for him. The Argos hardly won the game due to great QB play by Jackson but his runs helped the offence - as opposed to throwing dumb picks or useless 2 yard check-downs. Who said anything abou a great poised and accurate passing QB like Ray needing to run lots? The Argos also stuck with some run game into the 2nd half after Kackert was stuffed often in the 1st half and that paid off too; might offend the notions of the CFL only works one way types who post here, but tough $hite and the O chipped in to help win this game to go along with another very good D effort - though the O needs to score more points (either thru TDs or accurate FG kicking) - if Buck hadn't been knocked out of yet another game, the lack of scoring could have meant the Bombers had a chance to come back - but thankfully they had to turn to a stiff like Elliott at QB.

ArgoRavi
09-30-2012, 02:11 AM
I caught the tail end of the post-game show on 1050 and they said at this point that RR is unlikely to play against Saskatchewan, but there is 9 days in between now and then so who knows...

They will be extra cautious with Ray, especially as they were able to win with Jackson tonight. I could see them holding out Ray until the Montreal game.

Ron
09-30-2012, 06:02 AM
With how Ray was limping I hope they hold him back.

gilthethrill
09-30-2012, 06:46 AM
I think I'd trust Glenn over the long-run a lot more than Jackson.

Que the 4th quarter pick 6 from Glenn. Happy to have Jackson.

paulwoods13
09-30-2012, 08:50 AM
The Argos hardly won the game due to great QB play by Jackson but his runs helped the offence - as opposed to throwing dumb picks or useless 2 yard check-downs. Who said anything abou a great poised and accurate passing QB like Ray needing to run lots?

Your statement that the runs were "way better than dinky 2 yard check down completions or throwing a pick" sounded to me like a shot at Ricky Ray. Guess I misinterpreted.

Invader
09-30-2012, 10:43 AM
I was the guy who had promoted the Argos signing Jackson as a free agent in 2010 (he was also available last year). Instead Barker signed Lemon, Hamdan and Dorsey for camp. Could you imagine how good JJ would be today if he had been given Lemon's 20+ consecutive starts? Jarious' biggest problem was he was too much of a team player, accepting his role as a backup without complaining or making demands...a coach's dream. I saw the way JJ had progressed through the 2007 season as an injury replacement, becoming the highest-rated QB in the league over the last half season. With his rocket arm and powerful scrambling ability all Jarious needed was an opportunity, but instead the Argos tried to develop Lemon and Dorsey because of their NFL pedigrees. Why the Bombers didn't sign him as a backup to injury-prone Buck, instead of 3 rookies is pure stupidity on their part. At least Barker finally came to his senses.

marcwagz
09-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Que the 4th quarter pick 6 from Glenn. Happy to have Jackson.

glenn is leading the stamps to an 8-5 record, second in the cfl.

I dont like the argos chances against the riders the way theyve been rolling (tied 7-6 with the argos now) with jackson at pivot as the argos passing game died against winnipeg

ArgoRavi
09-30-2012, 12:38 PM
I was the guy who had promoted the Argos signing Jackson as a free agent in 2010 (he was also available last year). Instead Barker signed Lemon, Hamdan and Dorsey for camp. Could you imagine how good JJ would be today if he had been given Lemon's 20+ consecutive starts? Jarious' biggest problem was he was too much of a team player, accepting his role as a backup without complaining or making demands...a coach's dream. I saw the way JJ had progressed through the 2007 season as an injury replacement, becoming the highest-rated QB in the league over the last half season. With his rocket arm and powerful scrambling ability all Jarious needed was an opportunity, but instead the Argos tried to develop Lemon and Dorsey because of their NFL pedigrees. Why the Bombers didn't sign him as a backup to injury-prone Buck, instead of 3 rookies is pure stupidity on their part. At least Barker finally came to his senses.

I believe that you mean prior to the 2011 season. In all fairness to Barker, Jackson was coming off major shoulder surgery IIRC and was a bit of a risk at that point.

ArgoRavi
09-30-2012, 12:39 PM
glenn is leading the stamps to an 8-5 record, second in the cfl.

I dont like the argos chances against the riders the way theyve been rolling (tied 7-6 with the argos now) with jackson at pivot as the argos passing game died against winnipeg

Other than opening day, the Riders have shown little ability to play well on the road. If the Argo defence continues to play well, it could be quite a miserable day for Durant next Monday.

gilthethrill
09-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Other than opening day, the Riders have shown little ability to play well on the road. If the Argo defence continues to play well, it could be quite a miserable day for Durant next Monday.

Other than Weston Dressler, I can't think of any other Rider receiver that strikes fear into the heart of a CFL defence.

AngeloV
09-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Great point Ravi. They are 2-4 on the road, and should have lost the banjo bowl if not for a poor punt from Renaud. I personally think the punt was more to blame for that loss than the decision to not try a 45 yrd FG.

argotom
09-30-2012, 08:56 PM

I am with you on that as well.
I thought the same and especially since before Wally had made Jackson available for a trade and then he could have been had the next year as a FA.

Invader
10-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I believe that you mean prior to the 2011 season. In all fairness to Barker, Jackson was coming off major shoulder surgery IIRC and was a bit of a risk at that point.
I was thinking about the 2010 season when Jarious was a free agent (he resigned in B.C. for a reported $130-140k to be the backup). Yes, Jarious was recovering from shoulder surgery but I felt he'd be an asset to the Argos even if he spent all season on the bench...which K. Dorsey ended up doing. JJ was also available in 2011 if the Argos wanted him, but Barker traded a 1st-rounder (4th overall) for S. Jyles instead (joining Lemon & Bell). Jyles spent the first 9 games on the IL recovering from a shoulder injury. The Argos resigned Jyles in the off-season to a reported $250,000 contract which included a $100,000 signing bonus before he was traded for Ricky Ray (smart).

doubleblue
10-01-2012, 03:03 PM

I thought I was. lol But seriously I said back then and it turned out correct. The western Braley Bunch were going for the GC in there own stadium and a veteran QB was needed just in case Lulay got nicked. Jim Barker said all the poltically correct things back then, which in simple terms was you don't bite the hand the feeds you.
This year the Eastern Braley Bunch needed the veteran backup QB for their GC run in their stadium. So Jarius had arm will travel. Business is business after all.

Maybe Ottawa will need a good veteran back up in 2014.

gilthethrill
10-01-2012, 04:56 PM
I thought I was. lol But seriously I said back then and it turned out correct. The western Braley Bunch were going for the GC in there own stadium and a veteran QB was needed just in case Lulay got nicked. Jim Barker said all the poltically correct things back then, which in simple terms was you don't bite the hand the feeds you.
This year the Eastern Braley Bunch needed the veteran backup QB for their GC run in their stadium. So Jarius had arm will travel. Business is business after all.

Maybe Ottawa will need a good veteran back up in 2014.

I also think there was something behind Montreal RB Brandon Whittaker missing the rest of the year with a knee injury. Obviously Braley & the CFL had to do something to slow down Montreal in their quest for the Grey Cup.

AngeloV
10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
I also think there was something behind Montreal RB Brandon Whittaker missing the rest of the year with a knee injury. Obviously Braley & the CFL had to do something to slow down Montreal in their quest for the Grey Cup.

LOL..be careful. I've been told it's hard to tell if a person is serious or not from a post on a forum. Not that I believe it, but that's what I've been told. In fact, I've apparently helped prove a point with this theory.

argolio
10-01-2012, 11:57 PM
gillthethrill is on quite the roll today.

argotom
10-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Jackson will do fine.
I like his ability to attack downfield and use his legs efficiently .

RoRoYoBoat
10-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Tyler Holmes was released today so there is a chance he could sign with the Argos before the end of the season. Don't know that it will help but it is interesting.

QBall
10-08-2012, 08:54 PM
After today's game, NOW I'm worried. Seems like the Argos without Ray have no response whatsoever to a team with a tight defense.

ArgoRavi
10-08-2012, 09:00 PM
It would be shocking if Ray doesn't return to the lineup against Montreal. Jackson reminded me far too much of Michael Bishop today. I have never been a huge fan of hoping that your QB can just "manage" a game. I would much rather have a QB who can win a game which Ray can do.

ArgoRedneck
10-08-2012, 09:31 PM
If Ray was playing would he be the 4 touchdown difference that was needed??? Don't think so. Argos special teams are brutal both on kicks and returns. Something needs to be done. Back up kicker yes, but for weeks now the coverage has been weak, and returns non existent.

It looks like West is the BEST, and East is the least.

tc23
10-08-2012, 09:34 PM
You better get Ray back quick, Jackson looked like Michael Bishop X 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AngeloV
10-08-2012, 09:57 PM
If Ray was playing would he be the 4 touchdown difference that was needed??? Don't think so. Argos special teams are brutal both on kicks and returns. Something needs to be done. Back up kicker yes, but for weeks now the coverage has been weak, and returns non existent.

It looks like West is the BEST, and East is the least.

It was a 3 point game with 2 minutes until halftime. If Ray was playing, I can virtually guarantee that the Argos would not have had 2 and out after 2 and out, thus keeping the defence on the field as much as they were. The D got worn down, plain and simple.

I just hope this puts the complaining of Ray's style of quaterbacking to rest. I will take what he does any day of the week over forcing the ball down field to covered receivers.

ArgoRedneck
10-09-2012, 08:06 AM
It was a 3 point game with 2 minutes until halftime. If Ray was playing, I can virtually guarantee that the Argos would not have had 2 and out after 2 and out, thus keeping the defence on the field as much as they were. The D got worn down, plain and simple.

I just hope this puts the complaining of Ray's style of quaterbacking to rest. I will take what he does any day of the week over forcing the ball down field to covered receivers.

"Plain and simple" after the half time REST during the Sask 17 point romp the Argos had more ball touches on "O". When you beat yourself, with Ray they still would have lost. Special teams need to step up. Awful game for the whole team. 1 & 3 in the last four, a team should be on their way to peaking at this point of the season, not playing like this. Even when Ray returns they/other aspects of the team need to get their $hit together (penalites ect.....).

QBall
10-09-2012, 10:19 AM
If Ray was playing would he be the 4 touchdown difference that was needed??? Don't think so.

Don't know, but I would hope that Ray would keep the offense on the field longer than they did yesterday in order to give the defense a longer rest. You can't keep hoping the defense will bail you out time and time again after you constantly go two and out.

AngeloV
10-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Don't know, but I would hope that Ray would keep the offense on the field longer than they did yesterday in order to give the defense a longer rest. You can't keep hoping the defense will bail you out time and time again after you constantly go two and out.

My point exactly. People complain about Ray's check downs and lack of red zone production, but they eat up a lot of clock in games he has played. The only blowouts they have had were yesterday, and the game he was hurt in the first quarter. Ray plays, Argos are in every game.

Invader
10-09-2012, 09:03 PM
You better get Ray back quick, Jackson looked like Michael Bishop X 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Argos won a lot of games with Bishop starting at QB. Jackson has a similar arm but is much more careful with the turnovers compared to Bishop.

Here's their CFL career stats through 2011:

M. Bishop: 779 of 1516 (51.4%) for 11971 yds (15.3 yd. avg.) with 68 Td and 77 Int. (5.1 Int. per 100 passes) = QBR 71.6
J Jackson: 499 of 919 (54.3%) for 7032 yds (14.2 yd. avg.) with 51 Td and 35 Int. (3.8 Int. per 100 passes) = QBR 81.8

1argoholic
10-09-2012, 09:42 PM
I agree with ArgoRedneck. This team just can't rap their heads around not getting stupid penalties. How many bonehead penalties like lining up offsides does a team have to get before they clue in. Those are the easiest pentalties to stop and call for the officials. Jumping offsides giving the other team free first downs. I can't get it out of my head that Milanovich STRESSED in camp to not take penalties and we're the worst in the league. I can see us putting a good run together and making some noise in the playoffs only to be done in by a heart breaking 13th man type call. I thought it would be a growing season, I just didn't expect the roller coaster. I hate roller coasters. We'll see who shows up Sunday.

AngeloV
10-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I hate roller coasters.

I have a fear of heights, so I too hate roller coasters. :D

294life
10-09-2012, 09:51 PM
on TSN they asked Milo if yesterday's game was a playoff could RR start and the answer was 'yes' so I expect him back sunday.

paulwoods13
10-09-2012, 10:14 PM
on TSN they asked Milo if yesterday's game was a playoff could RR start and the answer was 'yes' so I expect him back sunday.

That's funny because on the pregame show on TSN radio they reported he had said, "I honestly don't know" when asked that same question. So either TSN or TSN Radio got it wrong, assuming you heard it correctly.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8