PDA

View Full Version : Garth Drabinsky documentary on The Movie Network

ArgoRavi
10-10-2012, 01:25 AM
I watched a documentary on former Argo exec Garth Drabinsky on TMN tonight and highly recommend it. While the Argos weren't the focus of that documentary - not surprisingly given that he only spent a year with the team and is known for much for than that - they are mentioned and former owner Sherwood Schwarz appears on at least three occasions for his opinion of Drabinsky (a generally favourable one at that). They also mention how Mike Lysko lost his job as CFL commissioner for his famous "making a deal with the devil" quote in regards to the Argos hiring Drabinsky back in 2002. Anyway, from what I can recall hearing about Drabinsky's time with the Argos, it wasn't much different than his time with Cineplex Odeon and Livent. He may have been considered a marketing and creative genius but certainly not a financial one and an individual who rubbed many people the wrong way although there are some who like him.

Invader
10-10-2012, 01:50 AM
I think he did help raise the Argos profile, but some of the people he rubbed the wrong way were the investors he defrauded of $500-million. He was found guilty of multiple counts of fraud and forgery and is serving 5-years in jail.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8