PDA

View Full Version : Ontario/Canadian University's without Football.

Mulder
10-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Simply by enrolment numbers, Current list of Ontario Universities not playing CIS Football. Besides Carleton University, since they are coming back.

Ryerson University - 31,700
Brock - 17,000
Trent, Lakehead, Laurentian - 8000

And Canadian -

BC
Any Chance SFU Comes back?
Victoria University - 22,000

Alberta
Athabasca University
Lethbridge Uninversity

Just wondering thoughts on this?

gilthethrill
10-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Ryerson has 31,000 enrolled? Is that not a big school by Canadian standards? Enrollment #'s for Victoria & Brock are also surprising. I must admit, I thought SFU had a team, did they go back to the NAIA?

Mulder
10-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Ryerson has 31,000 enrolled? Is that not a big school by Canadian standards? Enrollment #'s for Victoria & Brock are also surprising. I must admit, I thought SFU had a team, did they go back to the NAIA?

Yeah SFU plays in NCAA.

1argoholic
10-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Oh I don't see Football at U Vic anytime soon. There are only a few highschools playing football on the island. Our local Cowichan High doesn't. Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, field hockey are all big sports here. Plenty of football in league play though.

Some have been known to say that U of T doesn't play football. Sad as they're my team. I still remember their last run at Glory back in the early 90's with their little returner 'The Squirrel', when they beat Calgary at Skydome to win the Vanier. Mike McCausland or something like that ws the returner.

ArgoGabe22
10-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Where would Ryerson even play? Obviously they don't even have a team so its not a real issue but they would probably have to rent one if a team ever came into place. Rumours last year said Brock is next but it seems unlikely to me.

Ryerson has the numbers but I don't see it as a "football school". There is always players and coaches out there but funding is key.

Mulder
10-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Good Question. I could see a 'possible' home stadium where all the athletes village is going. Stuff for 2015 Pan-Am Games.
But I only included Ryerson because of the numbers which surprised me.

argofandave
10-11-2012, 04:14 PM
When the City of Victoria hosted the 1994 Commonwealth Games, I always thought that UVic would start a football team and play in that stadium. I also thought that Victoria would be a possible CFL city as well. Whatever happened to the stadium that was used for those games, 1argoholic?

DanTheFan
10-11-2012, 05:39 PM
If I didn't take engineering, and if Lakehead had a football team, I would have seriously considered trying out. However, I have no experience playing organized football.

1argoholic
10-13-2012, 01:00 AM
I'm not sure where that stadium is? I know there's Royal Athletic Park near Cook St. but it's small. Just looked it up. U Vics Centennial Stadium is even smaller but that's where soccer at the Commonwealth Games took place. Both sweet looking small stadiums. We pass Royal Athletic Park more often as there's a few cool places we hit off Cook St. Cook and Pan Polish Deli a bagel place and a french bakery. All about the food.

DanTheFan
10-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Did UOIT get a football team? I haven't heard anything about that yet.

Gill The Thrill
10-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Some of those schools you mention give a high profile to hockey or basketball....not every school is Western and can financially or is willing to finance all the major team sports...Lakehead is a huge hockey school with the best attendance of all CIS teams or in the top few. Ryerson has a well known basketball program that competes nationally but with the new Mattamy Gardens built at the old Maple Leaf Gardens site, they are gunning to develop a decent hockey program which in years past have been in the lower tier of the OUA. They also have a National champion coach for their hockey team in Graham Wise, who won championships at York U when they were awesome in the 80's and 90's.

Brock has a decent hockey team that has competed to get into nationals, and OUIT have quickly started a men's hockey program that is the feature team of their athletic varsity teams.

1argoholic
10-16-2012, 06:19 PM
What is OUIT? Never heard of it.

Will
10-16-2012, 06:26 PM

New university in Oshawa, would've been opened I guess after you moved to BC.

ArgoGabe22
10-16-2012, 06:48 PM

University of Ontario Institute of Technology

argolio
10-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Whoever came up with that name should be made to stand in a corner for an hour.

DanTheFan
10-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Whoever came up with that name should be made to stand in a corner for an hour.

Definitely. I think they went with the name because UOIT said quickly sounds like U of T so they can draw people in who confused it with a more established school. I attended UOIT in the first year it opened BTW (2003).

1argoholic
10-17-2012, 12:18 AM
That's the year we moved. Here they just take colleges and change the names. We had Malaspina College and they changed it to Vancouver Island University. Still the same basket weaving courses just a smarter sounding name.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8