PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Eskimos released RB Cory Boyd

RICKEARS
10-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Edmonton Eskimos have released RB Cory Boyd

EDMONTON -- The Edmonton Eskimos have released running back Cory Boyd and defensive back Ronnie Prude, the team announced on Thursday.

“Today’s move is in no way a reflection of the caliber of play of these young men,” said Eskimo Head Coach Kavis Reed. “This is a consequence of the exceptionally high level of injuries we have sustained – double that of typical years – and this issue has a direct impact on our salary cap management."

"I thank Cory and Ronnie for their professionalism and contributions to the team this season.”
Related Links

Rewind: Eskimos sign RB Cory Boyd
Esks restore confidence with win
Cory Boyd's Career Stats

Boyd signed with the Eskimos the day after his release from the Toronto Argonauts in August. He played four games for the green and gold and has 18 carries for 76 yards and four catches for 40 yards. During his time in Toronto, Boyd was the league's leading rusher with 80 carries for 447 yards and two touchdowns. He also hauled in 23 passes for 70 yards and two touchdowns.

Prude spent the first three weeks on the one-game injured list. In five games, he has 12 defensive tackles, one special teams tackle, one pass-knockdown and one interception. When the Eskimos hosted the Saskatchewan Roughriders on August 10, he left the game early with an injury and missed games 7-9 and 12-13. He was on the reserve list for game 14.

matthew
10-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Not surprising. He was an injury fill-in. I am sure he went there knowing that unless he absolutely blew people away, the clock was ticking the minute he landed.

AngeloV
10-11-2012, 01:41 PM
I love this quote:

“Today’s move is in no way a reflection of the caliber of play of these young men,” said Eskimo Head Coach Kavis Reed. “This is a consequence of the exceptionally high level of injuries we have sustained – double that of typical years – and this issue has a direct impact on our salary cap management."

Does that mean that they are going to hide him somewhere until next year? Since when has the SMS been a concern of the Evil Empire and specifically ET?

Hopefully CB gets another opportunity somewhere. I always enjoyed interacting with him at practice and fan days. Who knows, maybe he can still get a chance in the NFL.

ArgoGabe22
10-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Cory Boyd is still a talented back and its a shame it had to go this way. Hopefully he can play somewhere else. Maybe Hamilton wil employ him in a wishbone or a power I lol

1argoholic
10-11-2012, 05:45 PM
I think that'll be the end of him. Sad!

Bleeds Double Blue
10-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did after Edmonton signed Jerome Messam.

argofandave
10-11-2012, 09:07 PM
What's the rule after a player is released? I thought that any veteran players that are released after Labour Day will still have to be paid for the rest of the season which means his salary would still be included in the salary cap.

Invader
10-11-2012, 10:45 PM
What's the rule after a player is released? I thought that any veteran players that are released after Labour Day will still have to be paid for the rest of the season which means his salary would still be included in the salary cap.
Only 4 year veterans and older qualify for a guaranteed salary (after Labour Day depending on years of service), so Boyd will receive nothing since he's only been in the league 3 years.

ArgoGabe22
10-20-2012, 07:15 PM
He's back! According to his agent Boyd will rejoin the Eskies.

ArgoRavi
10-20-2012, 07:16 PM
He's back! According to his agent Boyd will rejoin the Eskies.

I am not surprised as Hugh Charles was injured last night.

LLB997
10-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Boyd still lives in TO amongst the jerseys in the discount rack at the Jays shop. 71 bucks for a new jersey. Pretty good deal. ps- final sale

ArgoZ
10-21-2012, 02:42 PM
How hard is it to remove the Boyd and put whoever is number 3 next year? LOL. I managed to exchange my Boyd jersey for a Durie right after he was cut. I said it was a gift and got the wrong player. The sales guy didn't even know who Boyd was, never mind just cut. It's obvious they know now!

jerrym
10-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Cory Boyd is back with the Eskimos because of a knee injury to Hugh Charles.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Edmonton/2012/10/21/20297746.html

AngeloV
10-22-2012, 02:39 PM
I love this quote:

."

Does that mean that they are going to hide him somewhere until next year? Since when has the SMS been a concern of the Evil Empire and specifically ET?

I think my original post was pretty bang on. Eskimos had him hidden somwhere. Wouldn't be surprised if they had some local businessman with ties to the club give him some Mickey Mouse "job" until another opportunity came for the club to call him back.

argomANIA
10-22-2012, 03:23 PM
I think my original post was pretty bang on. Eskimos had him hidden somwhere. Wouldn't be surprised if they had some local businessman with ties to the club give him some Mickey Mouse "job" until another opportunity came for the club to call him back.

CB posted a photo on facebook yesterday showing his plane ticket from Toronto to Edmonton.

KCargosfan
10-24-2012, 12:32 AM

Don't blame you for thinking that, but I actually don't believe that was the case. I follow Boyd on twitter and he was back in Toronto the day after he got cut and he posted some pictures of the Toronto skyline (assuming from his apartment or condo?) on a few different occasions. Yesterday morning he posted a photo of his boarding pass from Toronto to Edmonton.

Depending on how serious the injury is to Charles, they might just keep him for one game and cut him again, but who knows. According to Arash Madani on twitter, the Esks has all the negotiating leverage, so it's likely he is on a league minimum contract. Nothing wrong with that, just kind of an interesting note.

It is good to see CB3 back.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8