PDA

View Full Version : Jason Barnes or Cope?

Skinny G
01-14-2012, 09:59 AM
With Jason Barnes being released by Edmonton.... what are the chances he ends up in Double Blue? If he does, I wonder how that may impact bringing Cope back?

Will
01-14-2012, 10:15 AM
If I had to choose between the two I would say Jason Barnes is a no-brainer. He is younger and has more potential at this point of his career. But, the understanding is that Barnes has some sort of gentlemen's agreement with the Eskimos that he'll return there after he tries to get some NFL tryouts.

Ron
01-14-2012, 10:35 AM
But, the understanding is that Barnes has some sort of gentlemen's agreement with the Eskimos that he'll return there after he tries to get some NFL tryouts.

Maybe he'll "O'Shea" the Eskimos and sign in Toronto?

Will
01-14-2012, 10:48 AM
That thought did cross my mind Ron.

eiben35
01-15-2012, 02:38 PM
I know that Jason Barnes would like to persue NFL oppurtunities but Jim Barker should attempt to sign him.

AngeloV
01-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Perhaps.

I still believe it remains to be seen whether or not our receiving core is really all that bad. I don't think you can really judge them based on the high school offence the Argos have been running the last 2 years. Many on here don't agree, but I for one don't believe Cope is done. Spencer Watt just turned 23 in December, and everyone on here seems to have given up on him. Durie is definitely a keeper, and the staff seems pretty excited about what Owens can do. The way I see it, the team needs to find that stud short side wideout that will see lots of man coverage. If they can do that, with a real OC this year, and Ray pulling the trigger, look out.

Midnight Blue
01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
I definitely agree Cope isn't done yet. Jeremaine will empty the tank this year (and maybe next year as well), and after that he may become a premier receivers Coach. But why not go after Barnes if we can? Surely there'll be a opening for a man of his talent, if we can get him....

There now seem to be two threads on this subject, and I hope we can both keep Jeremaine Copeland, while signing Jason Barnes if we can. The more (receivers) the merrier. Furthermore, while I rarely request any special favours from the moderators (I'm just usually simply thrilled that they apparently tolerate my occasional semi-brilliance), it might be an idea, to merge the two relevant threads. Hugs and Kisses. Midnight.

ArgoRavi
01-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Perhaps.

I still believe it remains to be seen whether or not our receiving core is really all that bad. I don't think you can really judge them based on the high school offence the Argos have been running the last 2 years. Many on here don't agree, but I for one don't believe Cope is done. Spencer Watt just turned 23 in December, and everyone on here seems to have given up on him. Durie is definitely a keeper, and the staff seems pretty excited about what Owens can do. The way I see it, the team needs to find that stud short side wideout that will see lots of man coverage. If they can do that, with a real OC this year, and Ray pulling the trigger, look out.

I agree, Angelo. Even if we stayed status quo with our receivers - and I am not saying that we should by any means - we should still be more far more productive with Ricky Ray at QB and hopefully with Scott Milanovich and Jonathan Himebauch running the offence. We have three of the most dynamic weapons in the league in Boyd, Durie and Owens who should be able to do much more damage with a proven QB and what will hopefully be an imaginative offence.

Oarsman
01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Argos appear to be very high on this new guy they signed named Strickland.

1argoholic
01-16-2012, 12:07 AM
I agree that even if we stayed the same we'll be way better this year. But you have to bring some solid guys into camp.

paulwoods13
01-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Keep in mind there are three experienced guys with tantalizing potential that we really haven't seen yet -- Tranks, Boldin and Ballard. Maybe one or two of those guys will be capable of starting and/or starring. Add Feoli-Gudino as an extra NI weapon along with a more experienced Kouame and there could be some interesting new faces at receiver.

Area 51
01-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Ballard and Bolden seemed to have great physical skills in size and speed - - still trying to figure out why both weren't given a look in the last few games of the year to get a better idea if they could play when it counts.

Tranks will likely be out for a while after the knee injury, and if a guy on the bubble misses camp and the first few weeks it's going to be tough for him to jump right into the lineup if he can return healthy.

Edmonton cut Barnes last year during camp, but it was under different circumstances - - he was still trying to come back after injury then. From what I heard he was pretty upset at how they handled the situation. I was surprised he returned, but I guess if Edmonton was the only option...

Ron
01-16-2012, 06:46 PM
There now seem to be two threads on this subject, and I hope we can both keep Jeremaine Copeland, while signing Jason Barnes if we can. The more (receivers) the merrier. Furthermore, while I rarely request any special favours from the moderators (I'm just usually simply thrilled that they apparently tolerate my occasional semi-brilliance), it might be an idea, to merge the two relevant threads. Hugs and Kisses. Midnight.

No merge needed ... in fact it's dangerous. They are mirror threads and since both threads cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Well you know.

I agree that even if we stayed the same we'll be way better this year.

Toronto Argonauts 2012. 'From The Gutter To Grey Cup Glory'

Am I the only one nervous reading these?

marcwagz
01-16-2012, 07:43 PM
not nervous, but 1 player isn't going to take us from second last to second best!
more work must be done

KCargosfan
01-16-2012, 10:26 PM
No merge needed ... in fact it's dangerous. They are mirror threads and since both threads cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Well you know.

Excellent "Time Cop" reference. Some of JCVD's best work.

OV Argo
01-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Bring on lots of competition for TC - especially in areas of need - like receiver.

Some of the guys on the roster now may pan out very well - with a new coaching staff and a QB like Ray to deliver the ball; but have some new competition for TC; Cope may still be up to a great season working with Ray; but don't pencil him in for playing time just because he's a vet; new signings like Feoli-Gudino and Strickland sound promising; add another new FA or two and maybe draft a good receiver prospect too; and hopefully the new coaching staff is not hung up on CFL pencilled-in thinking with most of the receiver playing time handed to imports only - IF - several of the likes of Durie, Bradwell, Watt, Feoli-Gudino or maybe a draft pick have great camps and it means 3 or more NIs starting at receiver, then so be it; but like to see what Tranks or Boldin or Ballard or new import FAs can contribute too - and if it's 5 or 6 imports at receiver, because they earned it at TC - then so be that too.

Ricky Ray chucking the passes SHOULD make some receivers look good - i would hope anyways - smart new offensive coaching can help the passing game big-time too. Hard to believe the Argos passing game will not be major league improved for this coming season!

jerrym
01-17-2012, 12:02 AM
I think that Barnes would be preferable to Copeland who already has been in decline for two years and is not getting any younger. I also hope they give Sammy Tranks a better shot at a starting WR position than last year. With Ray able to hit moving receivers much better than Jyles or Lemon, a shifty receiver like Tranks, who got injured making a great catch on a ball just out of bounds, is to my mind the kind of guy who could do very well in the revamped offence.

Invader
01-17-2012, 01:38 AM
It's hard to guage Copeland because he's had such poor service over the past 2 seasons. Was he really that anemic or was it just bad QB'ing? You know he'll see more balls with Ray at pivot but can he be the 100-catch go-to slotback the Argos need? Jason Barnes might be a good fit but he may feel obligated to return to the Esks (who did not pick up his option allowing him an NFL tryout).

The recent CFL trend seems to be teams recruiting taller receivers (like 6' 6" Greg Carr or J. Richardson) but I believe a Darrel K. Smith-type receiver can be more effective in the long run...fast, powerful, can get deep, can snag low or high passes, precise route runner, secures the ball before trying to turn up-field, lean body mass with great leaping ability who can twist away from defenders in mid-air, shielding himself (and the ball) away from taking a hit. Not many 6' 3" guys can do all that. The track record for most 220+ lb receivers in the CFL seems more often than not, on the injury list (maybe because they're bigger targets?)

Argos recruit Andrew Strickland seems to have nice SB size at 6' 0" 197 lbs. The only FA receiver who catches my eye is the Riders' Cary Koch 6' 0" 198 lbs, who probably could be signed fairly economically by the Argos.

ArgoDave
01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Am I the only one nervous reading these?

Ya usually it's Bomber fans saying stuff like that, and look at how that works out for them? :p

7dj83r8f78t4alf8