View Full Version : October 27th 2012: Toronto Argonauts vs. Saskatchewan Roughriders

T-Bone
10-21-2012, 11:24 AM
http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/tor.png vs. http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/ssk.png

Week 18
Saturday, October 27th 2012 at 4:00pm ET.
Mosaic Stadium. Regina, SK.

TV: TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508)
TSN Mobile TV: Details Here (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/)
Radio: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/radio/feature/?id=43622)
Audio Webcast: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/)

US Viewing:
Video Webcast: ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/channel/espn3)

Depth Chart: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2012)

Post Game: Argos Seal Home Playoff Game with Win at Mosaic (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-seal-home-playoff-game-with-win-at-mosaic)

1argoholic
10-21-2012, 12:01 PM
No time like this game to get it together, pull together and row this ship into the playoffs. haha.

Midnight Blue
10-21-2012, 01:26 PM
I say we send 35,000 (ok, 3,500) frozen perogies to the Saskatchewan dressing room. And a 1 gallon tub of sour cream. And a big bag of onions (I assume they know how to fry them). Perhaps this will slow them down. All is fair in Love and Football.

jerrym
10-21-2012, 05:56 PM
The Argos need to start putting together some consistent play on offence and defence or they may fall into the playoffs only because of the weakness of Hamilton and Winnipeg and promptly exit from the picture. Friday's offence and last week's defence on the same field at the same time would beat Saskatchewan.

ArgoRavi
10-21-2012, 10:46 PM
The Argos need to start putting together some consistent play on offence and defence or they may fall into the playoffs only because of the weakness of Hamilton and Winnipeg and promptly exit from the picture. Friday's offence and last week's defence on the same field at the same time would beat Saskatchewan.

No kidding, Jerry. Hopefully they can finally start putting it all together this week. It is nice to see Jason Barnes and Maurice Mann coming alive on offence.

jerrym
10-21-2012, 11:46 PM
It is nice to see Jason Barnes and Maurice Mann coming alive on offence.

Amen. Mann was good and Barnes was great with his three TDs.

gilthethrill
10-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Our best bet on Saturday is if Winnipeg puts Hamilton out of its misery earlier in the day.....then we can repeat the same bad habits we have been exhibiting all season but we will have a playoff berth sealed.

Mulder
10-22-2012, 08:14 AM
As a ticat friend has recently told me "As bad as your season is, look at ours"

294life
10-22-2012, 04:34 PM
The one thing you don't want is for hamilton to win saturday then toronto to lose setting up a short week showdown for second place.

LLB997
10-22-2012, 05:24 PM
The one thing you don't want is for hamilton to win saturday then toronto to lose setting up a short week showdown for second place.

2nd place!?!? , wow the east sucks.

1argoholic
10-22-2012, 05:42 PM
At this point I think fans in Winnipeg, Hamilton and TO are all fed up with the farce that we've put up with this year. Amazing that any of these teams still have a playoff shot. Hamilton needs to lose the early game on Sat.

jerrym
10-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Our best bet on Saturday is if Winnipeg puts Hamilton out of its misery earlier in the day.....then we can repeat the same bad habits we have been exhibiting all season but we will have a playoff berth sealed.
Sad but true.

argonaut11xx
10-22-2012, 08:17 PM
OK....we need to play with HEART....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTc3PWbMvHY
This should be adopted as our new theme song...for the next few games and playoff run anyways...

from 1978..."we gotta have heart"

1argoholic
10-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Man those commercials were lame. haha.

Ron
10-23-2012, 01:50 AM
I hope the Bomber beat the Cats so the Argos can be assured of 2nd. Then I hope the Argos lose their last 2 games.

Why? Because I have confidence that the Argos can win 3 in a row. More that they can do 2. But not a lot in them winning 4-5 in a row.

As for the team only making it this year because Hammer and Peg had bad seasons? I do NOT care! We would still deserve to be there if we are better than 2 other teams son my conscience would be clear when we win some playoff games.

That said. Odds are we'll win in Regina. We have players coming from this area to play in the farm belt. They won't be out all night having fun tipping cows ... so they'll play well as usual in Regina.

AngeloV
10-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Might be a little early for this, but the forecast for Saturday in Regina is calling for a high of -4, but Sunny. On the bright side, the winds should be the calmest of the week at 5 km/h. I never like playing in the praries late in the year.

gilthethrill
10-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Might be a little early for this, but the forecast for Saturday in Regina is calling for a high of -4, but Sunny. On the bright side, the winds should be the calmest of the week at 5 km/h. I never like playing in the praries late in the year.

I too was wondering what the weather was going to be in Regina Saturday. Good report AV, yet again, & others will agree, you have proven to be a valuable member of this forum.

AngeloV
10-23-2012, 03:57 PM
I too was wondering what the weather was going to be in Regina Saturday. Good report AV, yet again, & others will agree, you have proven to be a valuable member of this forum.

I am much to humble to be taking compliments. LOL!!!

Nob
10-23-2012, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't count on the Cats losing Saturday. Last game ever ar Ivor Wynne has to be worth a good crowd, and a couple points in the Cats' favour.

Of course, if there was ever a game possible of both teams to lose then this is it.

Argos can't continue to hope that everybody else loses. That strategy only works for so long.

If it comes down to a one-game situation next week then may heaven help us. That would be a nightmare that should have never even been a consideration a month ago, but here we are........

I too don't like late season games on the prairies. Weather is usually an issue. Let's hope the forecast holds true.

Mulder
10-25-2012, 06:21 PM
The nightmare scenario occurs if Edmonton wins one of their final 2 games. Hamilton wins this weekend. Then beats us by 9 or more on Next Thursday. We are out. Hamilton In.

ArgoRavi
10-26-2012, 01:07 PM
I am having trouble posting the link to the depth chart but there are some interesting changes to the lineup this week with Danny Desriveaux, Emmanuel Marc and Kevin Huntley coming off of the active roster while Julian Feoli-Gudino, Sammy Tranks and Donte Paige-Moss come onto the active roster. I would expect Paige-Moss to play a fair bit in place of Huntley as the Argos try to get their run defence back on track. Don Landry wrote a nice article about Tranks on the Argo website: http://www.argonauts.ca/article/tranks-the-argos-man-of-persistence

It looks like Tranks will help Chad Owens with the kick returning and perhaps get some snaps on offence. I liked the little bit that we saw of Tranks last year so hopefully he can provide an additional boost to the offence and special teams.

Wobbler
10-26-2012, 02:33 PM
It'll be interesting to see the revised DL. Paige-Moss seems a bit undersized for a DT, but maybe more quickness is what we needed.

294life
10-26-2012, 03:01 PM
The nightmare scenario occurs if Edmonton wins one of their final 2 games. Hamilton wins this weekend. Then beats us by 9 or more on Next Thursday. We are out. Hamilton In.

Fortunately they are playing a day After halloween.

Ticats were supposed to 'win' their last labor day game at IWS, no reason they can't do the 'same' at their final regular season game.

Ron
10-26-2012, 04:30 PM

Then there would be nothing better than the Eskimos winning one game. Then the Cats winning this weekend and then beating the Argos by 8. ;)

Wobbler
10-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Payton, Rambo, JFG, Reinders to sit?

Do we ever line up 3-4 in practice? It's a bit late in the year for a serious shift in defensive alignment unless we've worked on it, but with Huntley's injury (or fatigue, or whatever) we're not overburdened with big bodies for the interior line. Rotating Belli and Armstead at NT and putting Pottinger or Kuale at LB might be a better use of our personnel.

KCargosfan
10-26-2012, 11:19 PM

Do we ever line up 3-4 in practice? It's a bit late in the year for a serious shift in defensive alignment unless we've worked on it, but with Huntley's injury (or fatigue, or whatever) we're not overburdened with big bodies for the interior line. Rotating Belli and Armstead at NT and putting Pottinger or Kuale at LB might be a better use of our personnel.

Kory Sheets must be drooling at the mouth.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 01:11 AM

Apparently, there are some new wrinkles on defence to stop the run. What is bizarre is that we were one of the top teams against the run up until about a month ago. Hopefully we can rediscover that edge.

LLB997
10-27-2012, 11:56 AM
I don'tknow guys, Argo's and cold weather make me nervous. The Lions looked awful in the 1st half yesterday with ball security. They had no fine touch for the ball and literally looked stiff and frigid out there. Argos have had enough issues holding on to the ball in warm temps. I just realized that after today, no matter how deep the Argos can go in the post season that this will be their last outdoor game of 2012 assuming the east final will be at Olympic Stadium of course.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 12:54 PM
It looks like Tranks will help Chad Owens with the kick returning and perhaps get some snaps on offence. I liked the little bit that we saw of Tranks last year so hopefully he can provide an additional boost to the offence and special teams.

I'm also glad to see Tranks back. He played with an edge that could help a team that has seemed moribund the last couple of weeks.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 01:01 PM

The nightmare scenario for me is if the Argos make the playoffs without winning another game after such a disastrous second half of the season. This team needs to show it deserves to be in the playoffs. Otherwise, their only playoff game will be a nightmare.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 01:15 PM
The Argos better be ready for Saskatchewan's 14th player - the weather. Otherwise, they could suffer the same fate as BC last night.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Pierce sacked, fumbles, recovered by Hamilton for TD. Score 14-0 for Hamilton. Pierce's arm hanging from side after the play. Already substituted for in one series after another hit. Conclusion: Argos better get ready to win one of their two remaining games.

Nob
10-27-2012, 01:47 PM
How can Pierce continue to go out there? He's going to be eating his food in liquid form by the time he is 35. Winnipeg, for Pierce's own good, should release him at the end of the year before he gets killed in action.

Thanks to Fantuz for dropping another FG snap.......

Bleeds Double Blue
10-27-2012, 01:54 PM
It's 15-0 for Hamilton, Buck Pierce is sitting down with his pads off and my wife is busy hiding everything we own that has a sharp edge. I got a bad feeling.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 02:12 PM
How can Pierce continue to go out there? He's going to be eating his food in liquid form by the time he is 35. Winnipeg, for Pierce's own good, should release him at the end of the year before he gets killed in action.

I thought Pierce should have retired after BC dropped. The best decision Barker ever made as an Argo was to not hire free agent Pierce.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 02:56 PM
It's 15-0 for Hamilton, Buck Pierce is sitting down with his pads off and my wife is busy hiding everything we own that has a sharp edge. I got a bad feeling.

I actually feel more confident about the Argos today than I have felt in weeks. I really believe that they will play a very strong game in Regina today and get a big win.

gilthethrill
10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
I did not expect Pierce to leave the game with an injury. Even in the early going, it appeared Winnipeg had no intention of running against the Cats. How did we lose to that Bomber team last week?

With Hamilton looking like they are going to win today, I really expect an epic let down Thursday night that will go down as one of the biggest Argo season collapses in team history. All the cards are falling into place.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 03:49 PM

You were close, Wobbler. The scratches are Payton, Rambo, Kyle Jones and Reinders.

DanTheFan
10-27-2012, 03:53 PM
I haven't been excited to watch the Argos in quite a long time (aside from the game I attended vs Montreal). The return of the offense last week helped a little, but I haven't found myself thinking about the Argos on a daily basis like I did in the summer. Hoping for the best, and some momentum heading towards the playoffs.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Argos dominating early in this one with a great defensive stand and then Ray marching them down the field culminating in a beautiful TD pass to Maurice Mann. 7-0 for the Argos.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 04:22 PM
The first sign that the Argos could be having a good game is the strong tackling on Saskatchewan's first possession. This is vital to Argo success after the weak arm tackling that allowed other teams to gain much yardage after first being hit in the last few games. Ray's crisp passes and clean receptions by Durie, Barnes, and Mann suggest the offence is fully in gear tonight. Lets hope both sides of the ball keep it up and shut down the Riders' 13th man.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Argos starting their second possession at the Saskatchewan 41 and playing with far more intensity than the Riders at this point.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Ray throws a pick deep in Rider territory which should have been caught by the receiver. Argos need to hold them down there and get the ball right back.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 04:29 PM
I love Jeff Johnson but questionable hands is why he has never been able to claim a starting position for any length of time.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Argo defence is punishing the Riders so far.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 04:31 PM
The interception instead of an Argo TD helps keep the Rider 13th man in the game. However, nice to see more pressure on the opposition qb than is usual for the Argos.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 04:36 PM
TD! Durie! Best Canadian on the team.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Ray marches the offence right down the field again and caps it off with a nice TD pass and run to Andre Durie. 14-0 for the Argos. Having Ray, Kackert, and Durie all back on offence gives the Argos a much different look against the Riders than they had on Thanksgiving Monday.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Ugh! Argo bad tackling is back on Sheets TD.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 04:58 PM
You really aren't allowed to do what Saskatchewan did on that Sheets TD run when three offensive linemen pushed him several yards into the endzone but the officials almost never call a penalty as they should in those situations.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 05:05 PM
This should have been the penalty on the Sheets TD:

Article 6 — Tandem Blocking It shall be illegal to assist the forward progress of a ball carrier by providing impetus from behind or in front of the ball carrier.
PENALTY: <a href="http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/legend-of-abbreviations/#l10"><acronym title="Loss of 10 yards">L10</acronym> <a href="http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/legend-of-abbreviations/#pls"><acronym title="Point of Last Scrimmage">PLS</acronym> or <a href="http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/legend-of-abbreviations/#pbh"><acronym title="Point Ball Held">PBH</acronym>

From http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/fouls-and-penalties/illegal-tactics/

jerrym
10-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Durie TD again!

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Ricky Ray's hot hand continues as he caps a nice drive with another TD pass to Andre Durie. 21-13 for the Argos with 1:12 left in the first half.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 05:24 PM
That could have been a gamebreaking fumble there if we could have recovered it.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 05:27 PM
We may potentially give up a FG here that we should not have given up.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 05:29 PM
21-16 at the half isn't bad but I really believe we should be leading by more right now. We really need to force some turnovers or come up with some big plays on special teams in the second half to secure this victory.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 05:47 PM
DeAngelis missed that FG attempt!!! What a terrific stand by the Argo defence. LOL, TSN already had the points up on the scoreboard.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Argos dodge a bullet with the Rider return to the Argo 10 but defence keeps score to a single. I made the mistake of reading TSN's score initially. Good D but Argos need to keep their focus throughout the game.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 05:52 PM
WOW! Probably the biggest turnaround in the Argos favour on a single play on Owen's TD after Rider's return to Argo 10.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Ricky Ray's fourth TD pass in the game, this time to Chad Owens, puts the Argos up 28-17. I want to see the Argos totally wrest control of this game now and build up a nice, big lead.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Owens scares the crap out of me when he starts dancing in the end zone...if you attend to give up the single, just get down on one knee before you inadvertantly fumble it. That's the last thing the Argos need in the end zone. I don't see the point in risking a fumble to just take 3-5 seconds off the clock.

Great, there was even a flag and the Riders took the penalty, and did'nt take the single point... to pin the Argos deep.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:05 PM
That should have been no yards on that last Owens punt return. I just paused it on my DVR and there was definitely a Rider within five yards when Owens caught that ball.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Another horrible attempt at tackling Sheets by Ball...why would you go high...just brutal...and now Dressler get a TD....

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Amazing how few penalties that the Riders have been called for today.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Prefontaine hasn't been getting the job done with his punting today.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Fourth straight time Argos punt after quick outs. The offence has to start helping the defence out by at least marching with the ball for sometime.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Saskatchewan has been operating on a short field this entire second half.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:34 PM
We need a stop or a turnover on second and 10 here.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:34 PM
We get neither and the Riders are in FG range.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Fourth straight time Argos punt after quick outs. The offence has to start helping the defence out by at least marching with the ball for sometime.Would be nice if they use the running game, Kackert has been averaging 6 yds a carry....why not use him in the 4th Quarter today, instead of in that Winnipeg game when they were up by more than 2 scores...that looked like a game where they could've spelled him off with Johnson, or another back and not have him re-aggravate his injuries...having him out with Ray has obviously not helped the Argos since then,

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Gill The Thrill is probably having a coronary right now.

Nob
10-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Ummmmmm........memo to Owens - HOLD ON TO THE BALL!

Nob
10-27-2012, 06:38 PM
We need a game-clinching drive right here.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Owens is showing up with those butterball catching gloves again...holy smokes, nice run and attempt to look for a gap but man....hold unto that tackafied leather. ...Credit Evan McCullough for possibly saving this victory, losing that fumble would've been a momentum killer.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 06:40 PM
A first down! Wow!

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Gill The Thrill is probably having a coronary right now.That's not wishful thinking..is it?...lol. At least Owens made a good play when Ray threw up that duck, and Owens ran back and spiked it volleyball style to prevent an INT.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Let's keep this drive going and kill the next three minutes whether we score or not.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Two first downs in a row! An Argo drive. Three minute warning.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Nice catch by Mann, nice touch on the ball by Ray..they needed that.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 06:47 PM
What kind of spot was that, I thought he was within a yard.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:48 PM
We just can't let them get to the endzone now. Only 1:25 to go.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't know if 5 points will be enough with the way the Argo D has been tackling today, but at least they will be forcing the Riders to get a major...C'mon D.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:51 PM
If only we could have recovered that fumble there.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Keep 'em in bounds...now the clock won't start til the snap....oh yah, Isaac nails Durant...shoot they recovered, but it's 3rd and 7.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Stop whining Rider fans!!! It wasn't that bad.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 06:52 PM
great hit by Isaac, to me it looks like a guy that wants to win....what a refreshing change...screw the Rider fans.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Argos lucky not to get penalty on helmet to helmet hit on Durant but good hustle by Isaac.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:53 PM
We just can't make this easy, can't we?

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 06:54 PM
What a sack, big play by Armstead.

ArgoRavi
This Rider fan whining is really getting annoying.

jerrym
Great sack by Armstead!

jerrym
10-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Interception by McCullough! Argo victory! We're in the playoffs!

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Yes, McCullough with the Interception...finally they're going to clinch 2nd....great job by McCullough to sharply go down to his knee and not risk fumbling it.

Wow, an Argo home playoff game, first one since '07...good.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 06:57 PM
As the late Pat Marsden would say, congratulations to Jim Barker, Scott Milanovich and the Toronto Argonauts for their thrilling 31-26 victory over the Saskatchewan Roughriders and for clinching second place and a home playoff game!

jerrym
10-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Barnes and Mann are really coming round with Mann catching 7 passes for 101 yards and a TD and Barnes 4 for 42 this game and 3 TDs in the last game.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Argos finish their road season at 5-4 including wins in Montreal, Calgary, Hamilton and Saskatchewan. Now if we can finally get our act together at home, then watch out!

OV Argo
10-27-2012, 07:16 PM
A really nice, key win.

Biggest thing i've seen lately for the Argos is some vertical passing game - rather than mostly just dink & dunk - Ray is going downfield with some nice deep completions; combine that with more faith in the ground game and the O could be good going into the play-offs ?

However - D is getting worrisome to me - looked wayyyy better early in the season IMO; not enough pass rush and some really sloppy tackling lately; that combined with iffy special teams (not sold on the punting or place-kicking games being good enough right now; nor retrun game doing enough) = this team really needs all 3 phases going well to do something in the play-offs.

Still - at least some hope to go to the GC; home play-off game vs. either the Riders or Esks - certainly winnable; and the Als are beatable too IMO.

PULL TOGETHER !!!

paulwoods13
10-27-2012, 07:22 PM
However - D is getting worrisome to me - looked wayyyy better early in the season IMO; not enough pass rush and some really sloppy tackling lately; that combined with iffy special teams (not sold on the punting or place-kicking games being good enough right now; nor retrun game doing enough) = this team really needs all 3 phases going well to do something in the play-offs.

I agree. The D drove me nuts at times today. Every frickin' time we rushed three and dropped nine, we got good pressure and had the receivers blanketed. Then we would rush five and get no pass rush and create openings for Sheets and others. Jones outsmarts himself constantly.

jerrym
10-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Owens now has 3,768 combined yards, only 72 short of Pinball's record of 3,840. He has a real shot at it next week but he makes me nervous every time he touches the ball with all his fumbles.

Will
10-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Ricky Ray with a clutch performance!

294life
10-27-2012, 08:15 PM
amazing performance. congrats. so now it's hamilton,edmonton or saskatchewan. Jackson should start thursday.

ArgoGabe22
10-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Even though we get to play at home, am I the only one that would admit to prefer if we played in IW (Of course only if Hamilton came 2nd, us 3rd). Two reasons, last season at IW and its an easier drive for me lol. Also there is a lot more atmosphere. Hopefully all those fans from 1991 will come out.

argotom
10-27-2012, 09:37 PM
The only thing expected of our Argos is the unexpected.
Congrats nevertheless.

Gill The Thrill
10-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Even though we get to play at home, am I the only one that would admit to prefer if we played in IW (Of course only if Hamilton came 2nd, us 3rd). Two reasons, last season at IW and its an easier drive for me lol. Also there is a lot more atmosphere. Hopefully all those fans from 1991 will come out.

Historically, Argo playoff crowds have been pretty loud even if the dome is half empty...there are football fans in the GTA who may unfortunately not go to games in the season, but they will go to a playoff game every few years or so when the Argos host rather than sit at home and watch how their NFL picks are going...it's true that a Division Final makes a big difference and sees a boost of about 7-10 k from the regular season home games, while the the Division SF is not much difference, maybe it'll be different this year with no NHL around,...casual sports may just be looking for an event, and a playoff home game for any team in Toronto is an event, seeing that there has been so few since really the last home Argo playoff date.

Maybe the Raptors have made it once since '07, I don't know since I don't follow the NBA, but I know the Leafs, Jays and TFC have not. The Rock in MLL have made the playoffs and won a championship, but with all due respect that is more of a niche sport that has a smaller following than the CFL...anyways good for them and for Lacrosse fans, point is this Argo playoff game is a big deal when you think of how few post-season games have been played in Toronto over the last few years.

Eastern Semi Final playoffs at the dome over the years...I'm going from the top of my head so correct me as you see fit.

1989: Winnipeg 30, Toronto 7....bad game, OK crowd that got louder with some fans heckling Obie ala Cahill style singing "bye bye Obie" as his decent 8 year run was coming to an end...he was fired within a week of that loss after a poor 7-11 season.

1990: Toronto defeats Ottawa Rough Riders ...34-23 or something like that....not a huge crowd despite the Argos having a 10-8 season under the "Don" and finished the season winning 7 of their last 10. A tough Winnipeg Defence which is probably one of the best I've seen in the CFL kept the Argos out of first that year.
I watched this game on Satellite on a CBC feed outside of Toronto since this was blacked out on CBLT. It was only a crowd of just over 23k which was viewed as dissapointing by the media, but the fans there were loud and it was an exciting game...Pinball Clemons was great if I remember well as this was his MOP season.

2002: Argos 24, Saskatchewan 14...Sherwood Schwartz had owned the team and crowds were dismal all year but the 22-24k for this game was the biggest and loudest crowd of the year. Other than a cool 2nd half comeback against the Stamps to clinch 2nd place on the last week of the year winning 33-32, I remember watching a former Heavyweight champion being paraded in a limo during halftime of one game earlier, but I digress..lol.

2003: The Argos hosted another crossover team the BC Lions in a Division Semi-Final..this time winning 28-7 I believe...tough Argo defence that year and an enthusiastic crowd that may have been in the upper 20,000's as the Argo crowds were slowly getting better after some lean years.

2004: The Wiggles Semi-final...After being pushed back to Friday night because of a booked concert at Skydome during the traditional Sunday playoff date, it actually worked out well at the box office...I believe 36,000 Southern Ontario Football fans watched the Argos beat the Ticats ...i can't remember the score off-hand.

2006: Argos beat Winnipeg...also forgot the final score off hand but remember a crowd of about 27 or 28 k, maybe less but not less than 25k and that my favourite Argo QB of all time, Michael Bishop came off the bench and looked like Russ Jackson in the 3rd quarter...that was his carear game in the CFL. Unlike Marvin Graves, at least his carear game was in the playoffs and bought him a few more seasons in the CFL. As maligned as he was by fans, including myself, Bishop had a cannon for an arm. If he had Jimmy Kemp's brain, or if Kemp had Bishop's arm the combination would have been a great QB...lol.

I think that covers Eastern Division Semi-Finals at the dome.

ArgoRavi
10-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Having two weeks to sell this game should boost attendance. You are pretty close with your attendance numbers, Gill, from what I can recall. There were 23k in '89, 24k in '90, 23k-24k in '02, 21k in '03 (the bankruptcy year), 37k in '04 and 26k in '06 IIRC. I would guess that they will be in the mid 20k range this year but playing Saskatchewan or Hamilton would draw more than playing Edmonton. As it stands now, the Riders might be the most likely opponent only because I expect the Esks to beat Calgary next week and the Riders to lose in B.C. You never know in this league however.

argosrule2415
10-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Too close for comfort there, but we'll take the win! Nice to officially clinch a playoff birth. I would be all for resting up our starters next week for the final game of the season. But considering it's against the Ti-Cats and they're still "barely" in the playoff hunt. The thought of keeping the foot on the gas pedal is tempting! If that fumble by Owens in the fourth would have been recovered by the 'Riders I would have went beserk. Great game all around for the Argos, and that 14-0 start was huge.

Wobbler
10-27-2012, 11:17 PM
I was not a fan of Pre's punting tonight. We have (ongoing) cover problems that are a separate issue, but most of Pre's punts had little hang-time and were caught on the run for good return yardage.

Waters wasn't a great punter, but I think he might be a better choice at this point. Let Pre handle kickoffs.

argosrule2415
10-27-2012, 11:20 PM
I was not a fan of Pre's punting tonight. We have (ongoing) cover problems that are a separate issue, but most of Pre's punts had little hang-time and were caught on the run for good return yardage.

Waters wasn't a great punter, but I think he might be a better better choice at this point. Let Pre handle kickoffs.

I agree there, Waters was much good at punts. However I believe he has an issue with his hand which prevents him from punting so they have Prefontaine do the punting for now.

AngeloV
10-28-2012, 12:08 AM
That's not wishful thinking..is it?...lol. At least Owens made a good play when Ray threw up that duck, and Owens ran back and spiked it volleyball style to prevent an INT.

Wasn't a duck. Van Zeyl got killed on that rush. Owens was wide open and it would have been a big play if VZ didn't get knocked back so badly.

argotom
10-28-2012, 12:12 AM
I am glad we won today as had we lost then all bets would have been off against the Cats.

AngeloV
10-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Overall thoughts on the game...

Ray was magnificent today. They have a chance to beat any team with him starting.
Great game by Matt Black today on the ST's. IMO, not enough was made of his TD saving tackle on the Tristan Jackson return. That play saved the Argos 6 points after Deangelis missed the chip shot.
Nice game by Mo Mann with the exception of the ball that came out after he hit the turf.
Owens has had 2 excellent receiving games since the return of Ray. Safe to say he missed him more than anyone.
Brandan Issac was a beast today. Easily the best player on D.
Still need to get better against the run, but compare to last week, I'll take today's performance. At least they had QB pressure today.
As for Pre, rough game but it was also the last outdoor game we play this season. I think he's capable of a nice run to finish the season and perhaps his career.

Wobbler
10-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Wasn't a duck. Van Zeyl got killed on that rush. Owens was wide open and it would have been a big play if VZ didn't get knocked back so badly.
Speaking of the OL, it looked like Eppele played a good part of the second half after Parenteau was hurt. I wasn't paying much attention to the line - did anyone see whether Eppele performed well?

Wobbler
10-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Great game by Matt Black today on the ST's. IMO, not enough was made of his TD saving tackle on the Tristan Jackson return. That play saved the Argos 6 points after Deangelis missed the chip shot.
I think that's a very good point. Even if we had given up the TD on that drive, the late tackle gave our D a chance. Black doesn't get enough credit.

larz-7
10-28-2012, 12:30 AM
blood pressure pills are back in the cupboard for a week,so glad we won not waiting for someone to loose.getting tired of complaints about isaac hits on qbs .tonights hit no way he went for the head first. durrant put his head in the way after the fact .i lost count how many times our qbs have been hit late or taking out over the years with no penalties.that and durant making a scene with the blood.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Speaking of the OL, it looked like Eppele played a good part of the second half after Parenteau was hurt. I wasn't paying much attention to the line - did anyone see whether Eppele performed well?

The fact that we didn't notice him would indicate that he played well today. In fact, our entire offensive line played well against a tough defensive front. Does anyone know what the sacks against totals are in the league? I may be incorrect but I believe that we are one of the better teams in the league with respect to allowing the fewest sacks. I know that our offensive line has had some challenges this year but Ray definitely makes them better IMO.

AngeloV
10-28-2012, 01:57 AM
The fact that we didn't notice him would indicate that he played well today. In fact, our entire offensive line played well against a tough defensive front. Does anyone know what the sacks against totals are in the league? I may be incorrect but I believe that we are one of the better teams in the league with respect to allowing the fewest sacks. I know that our offensive line has had some challenges this year but Ray definitely makes them better IMO.

I still think our o-line needs a lot of improvement. You are correct about Ray, Ravi. The fact that he makes such quick reads makes the line at times look better.

Wobbler
10-28-2012, 01:59 AM
The fact that we didn't notice him would indicate that he played well today.
I'm hoping for more meaningful data.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm hoping for more meaningful data.

Good luck -- there is no data available on how individual o-linemen do. Unless you get access to the scores given out by the coaches after each game.

Having said that, I'd say Eppele did just fine -- I did not see any plays where he was beaten on the rush.

paulwoods13
10-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Overall thoughts on the game...

Ray was magnificent today. They have a chance to beat any team with him starting.
Nice game by Mo Mann with the exception of the ball that came out after he hit the turf.
Owens has had 2 excellent receiving games since the return of Ray. Safe to say he missed him more than anyone.
Brandan Issac was a beast today. Easily the best player on D.
Still need to get better against the run, but compare to last week, I'll take today's performance. At least they had QB pressure today.
As for Pre, rough game but it was also the last outdoor game we play this season. I think he's capable of a nice run to finish the season and perhaps his career.

Agreed on pretty well every point. I just wish we had rushed three and dropped nine more often, because every time we did it, it seemed to work great.

RR is red hot. The injury and ensuing time off may have been the best thing that could have happened. He seems refreshed and even better than he was early in the season. It will be nice to get Inman back, but I can't see sitting either Barnes or Mann at this point. All the receivers are playing great at the moment.

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 07:26 AM
I had a bad feeling about yesterdays game that went unfounded. 2nd straight week Ray has looked surgical in disecting the oppositions secondary. Our receivers played well. Looks like Barnes is coming on & that long over the shoulder completion to Mo Mann late in the game was a ball that is past years would have been dropped.

Brandon Isaac was a beast as earlier stated, good non call on his sack on Durant, same goes to Armsteads sack. Durant was acting like a schoolboy looking for flags. The best defensive game since the win in Calgary IMO.

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 07:33 AM

Article 6 — Tandem Blocking

It shall be illegal to assist the forward progress of a ball carrier by providing impetus from behind or in front of the ball carrier.
PENALTY: <A href="http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/legend-of-abbreviations/#l10"><ACRONYM title="Loss of 10 yards">L10</ACRONYM> <A href="http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/legend-of-abbreviations/#pls"><ACRONYM title="Point of Last Scrimmage">PLS</ACRONYM> or <A href="http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/legend-of-abbreviations/#pbh"><ACRONYM title="Point Ball Held">PBH</ACRONYM>

From http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/fouls-and-penalties/illegal-tactics/

I was thinking the same thing when Sheets & his convoy crossed the line.

Will
10-28-2012, 08:47 AM
The score in the 04 ESF was 24-6 Argos.

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 09:08 AM
DeAngelis missed that FG attempt!!! What a terrific stand by the Argo defence. LOL, TSN already had the points up on the scoreboard.

If you noticed, TSN missed giving Sask a point after they converted a TD...Gord Miller also seemed confused on more than one occassion regarding the 1st down line.

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Stop whining Rider fans!!! It wasn't that bad.

B.I. is really taking a lot of heat for that hit on other forums..Matt Dunigan even chimed in saying it was cheap.

AngeloV
10-28-2012, 01:52 PM
B.I. is really taking a lot of heat for that hit on other forums..Matt Dunigan even chimed in saying it was cheap.

Dunnigan is a little sensitive to head shots, and considering his history, I can accept that. I'm of the opinion that there was nothing cheap about the hit. He didn't lunge at Durant head first. His body stayed upright the entire time. When we have players projecting at a head, that is different. That wasn't the case. In fact, Durant didn't whine immediately after the hit. He started to complain after the crowd's reaction to the video board. His whining after the Armstead sack, was just plain ridiculous.

gilthethrill
10-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Hey, anyone know why 1argoholic has not posted?? There was an earthquake in B.C. yesterday...could his internet be out?

Stevoman
10-28-2012, 05:11 PM
As an Argo fan who grew up in Sask but now lives in BC, I'm always extra happy after a win over the Riders or Lions. It'll be interesting to see who we get in the first round. We'll know more after this week. I want the Argos to play their starters for at least the first half. It will also be cool to see Owens break the record in front of the hometown crowd.

Will
10-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Hey, anyone know why 1argoholic has not posted?? There was an earthquake in B.C. yesterday...could his internet be out?

The Argos won the game, what would he possibly have to post about :)

argolio
10-28-2012, 06:26 PM

Article 6 — Tandem Blocking It shall be illegal to assist the forward progress of a ball carrier by providing impetus from behind or in front of the ball carrier.
PENALTY: <a href="http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/legend-of-abbreviations/#l10"><acronym title="Loss of 10 yards">L10</acronym> <a href="http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/legend-of-abbreviations/#pls"><acronym title="Point of Last Scrimmage">PLS</acronym> or <a href="http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/legend-of-abbreviations/#pbh"><acronym title="Point Ball Held">PBH</acronym>

From http://cfldb.ca/rulebook/fouls-and-penalties/illegal-tactics/When's the last time that's been called? I can't remember, and I've never seen it when there's a scrum filled with players from both teams. You'd probably have to see another offensive player pick up a ball carrier and carry him forward to see a Tandem Blocking penalty in today's game.

A slightly different comparison, but there is no rule that says a kicker can be offside on a kickoff even though virtually every modern kicker's plant foot is technically offside on every kickoff. Last week some Stamps fans were complaining that Luca Congi should have been flagged for offside on that onside kick because he was straddling the line as he approached the ball.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2012, 06:49 PM
When's the last time that's been called? I can't remember, and I've never seen it when there's a scrum filled with players from both teams. You'd probably have to see another offensive player pick up a ball carrier and carry him forward to see a Tandem Blocking penalty in today's game.

I have seen it called once. That was 10 years ago in a Winnipeg game when IIRC Mike Sellers had a big run in a scrum similar to yesterday's but it was called back because he got similar help to what Sheets did. I really thought that what the Riders did on that play was so flagrant that it should have been called but the officials may not have gotten out of Taylor Field alive if they had made that call.

ArgoRavi
10-28-2012, 06:50 PM

I am guessing that he is in shock over the result of yesterday's game. The earthquake happened several hours after the game ended.

argotom
10-28-2012, 06:52 PM
I read the papers today and it is saying that Ray will likely sit on Thursday.
I know injuries are always a concern, but I am not sure that is a good move especially since RR has been red hot the last two games.
I would play him a minimum one half.

KCargosfan
10-28-2012, 07:54 PM
I read the papers today and it is saying that Ray will likely sit on Thursday.
I know injuries are always a concern, but I am not sure that is a good move especially since RR has been red hot the last two games.
I would play him a minimum one half.

And if he got injured in that one half how would that go?

1argoholic
10-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Gil thanks for the post. Smart you know what's, thanks for squat. I happened to be in Victoria for three nights and basically wasn't going to come on here again but decided to post after reading gil's post. As part of my 50th which is in a few days my wife arranged three nights in Vic and a huge surprise as two great friends we met through CFL and the Grey Cup flew in from Calgary. Friday was a night of killer rockabilly and yesterday was me hungover drinking soda water at a pub watching the Argos. I'm thrilled!! It is easier watching with friends at a bar or at the game. They fought like heck and pulled it out in Regina which I thought wouldn't happen so I'm pumped.
We were actually walking around the inner harbour on a nice night last night showing our friends how beautiful Victoria is. I may dislike Duncan but I LOVE VIC!! Housing is expensive however. Anyhow it would be very easy for Victoria to have a scene like Japan saw last year. No issues at all though.

argolio
10-28-2012, 11:32 PM
I have seen it called once. That was 10 years ago in a Winnipeg game when IIRC Mike Sellers had a big run in a scrum similar to yesterday's but it was called back because he got similar help to what Sheets did. I really thought that what the Riders did on that play was so flagrant that it should have been called but the officials may not have gotten out of Taylor Field alive if they had made that call.There's your answer -- 10 years ago. Those situations have happened enough times since then but they've basically stopped calling it a penalty. Just part of the historical progression of the football to add more (or not take away) offense in the game.

As part of my 50th...Happy 50th 1argoholic!

1argoholic
10-29-2012, 12:04 AM
I haven't quite made it yet but thanks.

gilthethrill
10-29-2012, 07:00 AM
Gil thanks for the post. Smart you know what's, thanks for squat. I happened to be in Victoria for three nights and basically wasn't going to come on here again but decided to post after reading gil's post. As part of my 50th which is in a few days my wife arranged three nights in Vic and a huge surprise as two great friends we met through CFL and the Grey Cup flew in from Calgary. Friday was a night of killer rockabilly and yesterday was me hungover drinking soda water at a pub watching the Argos. I'm thrilled!! It is easier watching with friends at a bar or at the game. They fought like heck and pulled it out in Regina which I thought wouldn't happen so I'm pumped.
We were actually walking around the inner harbour on a nice night last night showing our friends how beautiful Victoria is. I may dislike Duncan but I LOVE VIC!! Housing is expensive however. Anyhow it would be very easy for Victoria to have a scene like Japan saw last year. No issues at all though.

Glad you are back 'holic....your eloquant posts were missed by many!

Midnight Blue
10-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if 1argoholic and his wife packed into a rubber dingy, and rowed at least three miles off shore, in order to avoid the worst of the Tsunami. Tsunamis only break seriously about half a mile or less from shore, so, they should be safe. He probably brought a ghetto-blaster with all of his favourite Punk band tunes, a few beers for himself, and a bottle of wine for his wife.

Glad that they're safe !

Ka 'Pla !

1argoholic
10-29-2012, 09:09 PM
We have a peddle boat and a sweet 50 year old Peterborough canoe. Was in too rough of any sort of shape to pull that off. It's an eye opener to move before the big one hits Vancouver Island. I always joke that after a good earth quake takes a couple miles of land off the east side of the island we'll have ocean front property. However it'll be worth squat because who'd want to live here. haha.

KCargosfan
10-30-2012, 12:10 AM
We have a peddle boat and a sweet 50 year old Peterborough canoe. Was in too rough of any sort of shape to pull that off. It's an eye opener to move before the big one hits Vancouver Island. I always joke that after a good earth quake takes a couple miles of land off the east side of the island we'll have ocean front property. However it'll be worth squat because who'd want to live here. haha.

Happy Birthday 1argoholic!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8